hibs.net Messageboard

Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    I will be coming through fir the Derby on 24th whats Origano on Leith walk like? been to La Favorita a few times fancy a change.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hanny0762
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be coming through fir the Derby on 24th whats Origano on Leith walk like? been to La Favorita a few times fancy a change.
    Been a couple of times. It's very good. Well worth a visit. I've not actually been to La Favorita so can't compare but the pizzas are great.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Leith one on Constitution Street is very good. Finally tried Market Street a few weeks back and no comparison. Staff were up their own erse and food was bang average despite being a similar menu.

Tbh even having enjoyed the Leith one I wouldn't say it's the best steak in Edinburgh.
    I can't eat steak after having this. Nothing since has been close.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    I can't eat steak after having this. Nothing since has been close.
    That looks incredible.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We tried McDonald's at Fife Leisure Park. Their Big Mac burger came served in a shabbily branded cardboard box, which was functional rather than serving any kind of aesthetic purpose. Handily, the lid of the box made for an excellent makeshift bowl for the large fries served with the burger.
    The fries, infused with lashings of salt rather than curry and that, are hit and miss. The first ones served were crisp but by the time we got to the end of them they were soggy, limp, and cold. The addition of the barbeque sauce saved the day, its tangy sharpness complimenting the fries perfectly.
    My youngest chose the packet of six chicken nuggets, the batter was chewy rather than crispy, and I felt a distinct lack of pride in their preparation. She munched then all with a good helping of ketchup, uniquely served up in a wee paper thimble thing, from a pump at a nearby stand.
    I had the South African Stack, which was lopsided in its preparation, so the majority of the sauce hung over one side of the burger while the other side stayed dry. I was picking bits of salad out of my teeth for half an hour afterwards and was left disappointed with the burger.

The meal did initially fill everyone up, but after a short while the kids were asking for something else to eat and they'll probably have some digestive comeback following the meal.

Two stars.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We tried McDonald's at Fife Leisure Park. Their Big Mac burger came served in a shabbily branded cardboard box, which was functional rather than serving any kind of aesthetic purpose. Handily, the lid of the box made for an excellent makeshift bowl for the large fries served with the burger.
    The fries, infused with lashings of salt rather than curry and that, are hit and miss. The first ones served were crisp but by the time we got to the end of them they were soggy, limp, and cold. The addition of the barbeque sauce saved the day, its tangy sharpness complimenting the fries perfectly.
    My youngest chose the packet of six chicken nuggets, the batter was chewy rather than crispy, and I felt a distinct lack of pride in their preparation. She munched then all with a good helping of ketchup, uniquely served up in a wee paper thimble thing, from a pump at a nearby stand.
    I had the South African Stack, which was lopsided in its preparation, so the majority of the sauce hung over one side of the burger while the other side stayed dry. I was picking bits of salad out of my teeth for half an hour afterwards and was left disappointed with the burger.

The meal did initially fill everyone up, but after a short while the kids were asking for something else to eat and they'll probably have some digestive comeback following the meal.

Two stars.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    New Sushi/Japenese place in Corstorphine seems to be getting rave reviews from the locals.
    Cafe Rosa by day , Daruma at night.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 07-10-2017 at 10:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Two stars.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It's very good,pizzas are excellent but then again so are the ones at La Favorita nothing in it really. Worth a visit if you haven't been though.

Went to Pomegranate just off Leith Walk with work last night. Annoyed because the food (party menu so a big selection) looked quite good but I was too steaming to even want to eat! What I did eat was pretty decent though.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Down in Leeds next weekend and tried for No.50 on that list, The Man Behind The Curtain but it was fully booked. Own fault for leaving it until yesterday to try and book!

Going to the Crafthouse instead, will report back

Do fancy L'Enclume though, did you stay there as well?
    I stayed over there a few years back. The food was awesome as you say, and I don’t think it’s too bad a price compared to other restaurants which aren’t on the same level - probably because of its location though.

Rogan also has a bistro in the village, Rogan and co, which is where you get breakfast if you stay over, which was also amazing. The b&b was £99 then, probably more now though.

Spice Lounge Kitchen on Drum Brae. Yummy food and decent pint too and not pricey. Used to be The Rainbow. Believe me this is an improvement!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Went to the Auld Hundred last night with Mrs Crab and we both had the signature steak pie which was fantastic, huge portion, perfectly cooked melt in the mouth chunks of beef with rich gravy served with freshly fired puff pastry with carrots, broccoli and your choice of chips or potatoes. A winner every time in my book.

I skipped dessert and went for a coffee while the Mrs had a Strawberries with cream and vanilla ice-cream merengue thingy. I didn't taste it as I don't like that sort of thing but she says it was brilliant.

Total bill of £31 on the nose for 2 mains, a dessert, a coffee and 4 pints of soft drinks. Bargain.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Went to the Auld Hundred last night with Mrs Crab and we both had the signature steak pie which was fantastic, huge portion, perfectly cooked melt in the mouth chunks of beef with rich gravy served with freshly fired puff pastry with carrots, broccoli and your choice of chips or potatoes. A winner every time in my book.

I skipped dessert and went for a coffee while the Mrs had a Strawberries with cream and vanilla ice-cream merengue thingy. I didn't taste it as I don't like that sort of thing but she says it was brilliant.

Total bill of £31 on the nose for 2 mains, a dessert, a coffee and 4 pints of soft drinks. Bargain.
    That's a lot of soft drinks

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    That's a lot of soft drinks

I had the car and the Mrs is pregnant.

I've mentioned Pizzeria 1926 on here before but went back last night and they had new items on the menu. To start I had a Frittata; linguine with béchamel sauce, peas, and ham, moulded into an extra large hamburger patty size, battered and deep fried. Not the healthiest thing in the world but really nice.

Had breakfast at the bluebird cafe at cannonmills this morning. Full Scottish which also included a pancake, and the choice of an artisan roast coffee or pot of tea. Brilliant value at £8.50 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality at that price.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Abida on St Johns Road is a very decent Indian Restaurant/Takeaway . I particularly enjoy the vindaloo, its very hot and very tasty. An authentic curry house that I would highly recommend.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    We were in El Cartel a couple of weeks ago and the food was fantastic - fresh, hot and not waiting forever. Makes it easier when you order just whatever dishes you want, then get more after if you're still a bit hungry.

Busy - and you can't book - but we only had a 20 minute wait which was more than enough for a quick pint across the road in Bon Vivant.

Would've only paid about £35 for the 2 of us if it was food only...but the beers and the margueritas got the better of us!!
    I went back again the other week and it was brilliant again. Fish, Duck, Pork and Steak tacos, all of them brilliant. I stick by my previous post and would say it’s probably the best Mexican food I’ve had anywhere in the world.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    We went to the Big Feed indoor street market in Govan last night. It was excellent, if a little pricey when you tot it all up. I had an Indian chicken wrap, shrimp bun, beef and pork soft shell tacos and the highlight of the night, a Korean chicken bun thing that was amazing. My wife reckons I went overkill on it :). She had a Peking Duck, slaw and chips combo which was by far the best value item anyone in our group had.

The toilets are grim though. The toilets at T in the Park are luxury in comparison.
    Last edited by overdrive; 29-10-2017 at 10:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I went back again the other week and it was brilliant again. Fish, Duck, Pork and Steak tacos, all of them brilliant. I stick by my previous post and would say it’s probably the best Mexican food I’ve had anywhere in the world.
    If you are ever in Madrid visit Punto MX, the first Mexican restaurant to receive a Mechlin star - they do an excellent scran.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I was there the other week and although I really enjoyed the food (ribs and wings were out of this world) I’m not sure i enjoyed the whole experience. I found it quite cramped, music was too loud and felt we were rushed. Also found it quite expensive for what we got.

All of the above could be attributed to me being a grumpy old ******* though.

Roughed it at The Ivy for lunch on Wednesday. The £16 two course lunch was really good value. Partner had the fillet which was very good value in relation to town prices. Def go back

Tried Bubba Q on the High Street against my better judgement. What a massive and fantastic plate of food the Beef Brisket was, came with two sides of your choice plus coleslaw.
    Well exceeded my expectations.

For steak Chophouse leith is unbeatable IMO. It's not cheap, but if you enjoy a steak it's the best in the city. Service is excellent but at the same time very relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    For steak Chophouse leith is unbeatable IMO. It's not cheap, but if you enjoy a steak it's the best in the city. Service is excellent but at the same time very relaxed.
    That's a bold statement, you must have had a lot of steaks in a lot of ďifferent places in the city ;-)

It is very good but I think Kyloe is better.

I was at Vittorias last night with a few others from here. Sonewhere I used to go fairly regularly but it stopped for some reason although I have been to La Favorita fairly often. Will definitely be back again soon.

We had the set menu. A mix of breads and apetisers, plenty to go around 8 of us then I had a pizza, should be fairly simple but so many places get it wrong. Was very good and no complaints at all. Couple of pints of Moretti washed it down nicely. Service was good despite it being very busy.

Finally thanks to Scouse Hibby for sorting the table for us at pretty late notice.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was at Vittorias last night with a few others from here. Sonewhere I used to go fairly regularly but it stopped for some reason although I have been to La Favorita fairly often. Will definitely be back again soon.

We had the set menu. A mix of breads and apetisers, plenty to go around 8 of us then I had a pizza, should be fairly simple but so many places get it wrong. Was very good and no complaints at all. Couple of pints of Moretti washed it down nicely. Service was good despite it being very busy.

Finally thanks to Scouse Hibby for sorting the table for us at pretty late notice.
    Cheers PB, glad to hear it went well.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Went to Passorn last night. Attentive service and the duck Penang was very tasty.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Agreed. Definitely the best steak I’ve had in Edinburgh.