hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 84 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I was in La Garrigue once again last week and again I couldn't commend it enough.

Classic French fare from the Languedoc, absolutely delicious and reasonably-priced for such a central Edinburgh location.

The menu varies on a more regular basis than a lot of restaurants, whilst always retaining Languedoc classics like their cassoulet.

The wine list likewise is varied, with something suitable for most pockets and again a focus on wines from the owner's region of birth.

Fantastic ambience and if you're window-facing, you have those great views. All accompanied by really understated but thoroughly professional service.

As with every meal there, I'm already looking forward to going back!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Four of us going to Eastern Pavillion in Corstorphine tommorrow night following the good reviews on here. Hope it lives up to expectations :-)
    Looking forward to the review.

Tuesday night. Few beers in Malt Shovel and then up for a pizza/pasta at Gordon's Trattoria. Not been for years. Won't be back for years.

Overpriced, average fare. Service decent but the six of us agreed we wouldn't be rushing back soon.

Having lived in corstorphine for years I still hadn't tried several of the eateries. After scouse''s wee tour review through the area a few pages back I gave redwood a try yesterday

It was just amazing. Possibly best meal I've had in years and I'm lucky enough to eat in some great places all over Scotland with my job. The fish soup starter and hake were the business. Can't wait to go back

I live just over other side of Drum Brae and pass the Redwood almost everyday. Never been. Always thought it looked like a nursing home ! Will give it a try now.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Having lived in corstorphine for years I still hadn't tried several of the eateries. After scouse''s wee tour review through the area a few pages back I gave redwood a try yesterday

It was just amazing. Possibly best meal I've had in years and I'm lucky enough to eat in some great places all over Scotland with my job. The fish soup starter and hake were the business. Can't wait to go back
    Good to hear you enjoyed it, we often don't realise the quality on our own doorstep,it's great if you can find quality without the need to travel too far.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    I live just over other side of Drum Brae and pass the Redwood almost everyday. Never been. Always thought it looked like a nursing home ! Will give it a try now.
    Yeah, I live locally and still to try it.

Eastern Pavilion last night: Seated near the back of the restaurant the night got off to a great start. Friendly staff, pints of Cobra, the obligatory poppadoms and pickle selection and very good starters. The manager spoke to us several times and we were happy as we drank more and waited for the main courses to arrive.

Then......The manager approached us and asked if we would move tables to the front of the restaurant as they had two parties with wheelchairs arriving and the rear area was more suitable to the wheelchairs. Now normally we would be pretty pissed off having to move tables mid course in a restaurant however we were asked very nicely by the manager and of course we were only to happy to help a wheelchair user so we duly obliged and moved to a table at the window.

The mains then arrived and we continued our night without further interuption, the manager fussed over us, provided some extra accompaniments and we all agreed we had some of the finest Indian food we had eaten anywhere not just in Corstorphine.

The food and service even with our mid course move really was top class and a restaurant not far from my house which I had previously dismissed and only tried because of the recommendations on here turns out to be fantastic. So impressed I have booked a table for six on Hogmanay and can't wait to return.

Corstorphine. The new hotbed of undiscovered haute cuisine.

And when you live nearby you save yourself an additional £15 on a taxi fare home.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Off to Orroco Pier in South Queensferry for breakfast this morning. Heard good things about it so will report back.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Going to have to check the Eastern Pavilion out I'm just along at Western Corner so can walk!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Off to Orroco Pier in South Queensferry for breakfast this morning. Heard good things about it so will report back.
    I'm booked in for dinner on Monday night. Only heard good things but never tried it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Busy week ahead food wise

Wednesday - Britannia Spice
    Thursday- Wongs
    Friday - Vittoria

Love this time of year 😀

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    I'm booked in for dinner on Monday night. Only heard good things but never tried it.

I have to say I'm not a big fan, don't get me wrong it's ok but by no means great. The boathouse just next to it is a very good fish restaurant and the Italian la Barca at the other end of the high street nearest the rail bridge does lovely food although the decor is a bit dated.

@hibs.net private member

the food in the restaurant area was decent the few times i've been..the bar food is very average (at best!)...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

No complaints about the breakfasts, good portion size, good quality sausages, black pudding and haggis etc, all copies nicely and service was really friendly as well.

They get a bonus point for having Belle and Sebastian playing on their playlist.

Would definitely go back.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Eastern Pavilion last night: Seated near the back of the restaurant the night got off to a great start. Friendly staff, pints of Cobra, the obligatory poppadoms and pickle selection and very good starters. The manager spoke to us several times and we were happy as we drank more and waited for the main courses to arrive.

Then......The manager approached us and asked if we would move tables to the front of the restaurant as they had two parties with wheelchairs arriving and the rear area was more suitable to the wheelchairs. Now normally we would be pretty pissed off having to move tables mid course in a restaurant however we were asked very nicely by the manager and of course we were only to happy to help a wheelchair user so we duly obliged and moved to a table at the window.

The mains then arrived and we continued our night without further interuption, the manager fussed over us, provided some extra accompaniments and we all agreed we had some of the finest Indian food we had eaten anywhere not just in Corstorphine.

The food and service even with our mid course move really was top class and a restaurant not far from my house which I had previously dismissed and only tried because of the recommendations on here turns out to be fantastic. So impressed I have booked a table for six on Hogmanay and can't wait to return.
    Great review. We are booked in for xmas day. Years since I've been. Looking forward to it

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    12 of us at Vittoria on the walk tonight, lovely meal and great service

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I was at Thai Orchid near the castle during the week. Excellent. My favourite in Edinburgh.

So Orroco Pier. Food was good if over priced. Service was ok just not anything special. Restaurant is nice inside and the setting makes up for a lot of the other flaws. Pleasant enough but i don't think I would rush back. Could be so much more.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Milano (Lothian Road) - great pizza and only 5.95 at lunch
    Beer & Skittles (Elm Row) - ok, would eat there again if I'm there but wouldn't go specifically for food
    St Vincent (Stockbridge) - Great burger, really enjoyed it

Britannia Spice last night, food was okay service was appalling considering there were only four tables occupied. We were seated at 6pm (six of us) the wait for our starters, we got them at 7.30 was ridiculous. Coupled with the reluctance to first take a drink order and then replenishment was only if you called the waiter if you could find him! Left at 9pm after 2 courses,won't return I'm afraid.

Britannia Spice last night, food was okay service was appalling considering there were only four tables occupied. We were seated at 6pm (six of us) the wait for our starters, we got them at 7.30 was ridiculous. Coupled with the reluctance to first take a drink order and then replenishment was only if you called the waiter if you could find him! Left at 9pm after 2 courses,won't return I'm afraid.
    Britannia Spice has been going downhill for years imo.

Used to be a more than decent Indian but food and service have declined pretty rapidly in the last 2 or 3 years. Last went about a year ago and wouldn't return.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

We ended up eating in Prezzo on North Bridge tonight before the ballet surprising thought it was excellent for a chain would say a step up from Pizza Express.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Well, thanks to the favourable reviews here, I popped in to the Eastern Pavilion tonight. I have to be honest and say out of the 4 Curry houses that I've been to in Corstorphine it isn't in the top 3. Service was good but the food just didn't do it for me. The Narikeli Gosht was OK, but the chicken chasni was poor, the Bombay aloo was bland and the tarka dall was the worst I've ever experienced in ANY Indian cuisine restaurant. Even the mushroom rice was oily, if you can't get the rice right then there's no hope.
    Think I'll stick to Abidas or the Spice Lounge in the near future.

Testimonial Due

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed mate.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    North Bridge Brasserie (Scotsman Hotel on North Bridge) for dinner on Thursday evening.

I've eaten there before on several occasions and always enjoyed it but this was the first time in a while. I had expected to just pick from the a la carte menu but they have introduced their own tasting menu,so we gave that a shot. It was great - well-balanced, good presentation and bags of flavour.

I think we had seven courses for £39 each. As tasting menus go, that's very reasonable. Somewhere like Tom Kitchin does an exquisite tasting menu but at a much higher price. This felt like a bit of a steal - not Michelin but still very good.

There isn't the choice of accompanying wines but that wasn't the end of the world. The wine menu is broad,with lots of options.

Final plus is the surroundings. I remember being inside the building when it was the actual 'The Scotsman'. Thankfully they've kept the opulence.

The bar (for pre-dinner drinks) and the restaurant are decent enough,but the detail of the building overall is magnificent. A trip to the toilet involves descending a fine marble staircase that's probably unrivaled in Edinburgh!!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Testimonial Due
    Not going to give the full review as I'm a lazy ******* that way 😁, but I was recently at the much acclaimed Scran & Scallie in Stockbridge for a lunch. Can't rate it highly enough, great atmosphere, excellent staff, reasonable pricing and the food was amazing. Went for their Christmas menu and was very impressed. Will be back in the new year.

Testimonial Due
    The tower restaurant on the top floor at the museum is also well worth a go. A great place to take any guests you have who aren't too familiar with Edinburgh. Great views of the castle, an all round classy establishment and the food is top notch, 9/10.

Eastern Pavilion again on Hogmanay following my previous good visit. Delighted to say it didn't disappoint and the group who went with my recommendation all had a great night.

Promising Youngster
    Anyone been to Dishoom, the new restaurant opened up in St Andrews square?