hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where about in Broughton Street is it?
    It's what was Khushis Broughton Street. There's another new place next door as well that used to the Bakehouse.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My mate is the chef in Meltmongers, I'll pass on your thoughts.

Has anyone tried the Educated Flea on Broughton Street yet? Menu looks quite interesting.
    I'm attending something at the Playhouse at the start of September and have booked a table for prior. It does look interesting, will post up my comments after

I've been intending going to the sister restaurant, the Apiary, for a pre-theatre meal when attending the EFT but I've prioritised other places so far (Hewat's; Kalpna; Mother India's Cafe et al). A friend who ate there recently was very positive about their experience, they had the seafood sharing platter and thought it was excellent.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Been to a few good places recently. Wildmanwood pizza do the best ive eaten in edinburgh. They could be a wee bit more generous with the mozzarella but the tomato sauce is realy good. Do good salads as well.
    Owned by the same people as Ting Thai Caravan.

I went to the Gurkha bar and restaurant last night in Musselburgh. it's a nice wee small place with friendly staff.

The food was amazing, I'd go as far as saying the best curry I've ever tasted. There were 5 of us there and everyone was saying how great the food was.

Definitely going back!

Mother India's Cafe again, last night. It was absolutely heaving, really busy, but that probably suits the tapas style.

I know many on here will have been but for those who haven't, it's well worth a visit. Indian food, tapas style. Not your korma through to madras-style menu, but not really fancy either. Great food and great service, pretty reasonably priced, good range of non-meat dishes and some very tasty meat choices.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The Spice Lounge Kitchen on Drum Brae. A warm welcome in tastefully and brightly decorated premises, this has attracted a family crowd. The waiter said it's bookings only on Fridays which is good going for an out of town place. I know their illuminated signage and stuff has annoyed local residents but I can't fault the food which was promptly served and of very good quality. Drinks were not exorbitant either. They do a myriad of food deals and have a menu about these which was hard to fathom but they're doing OK.

I had pre-theatre dinner in the Educated Flea on Broughton Street last night. It's the sister restaurant of Three Birds and the Apiary. It's small, I'm guessing less than thirty covers.

The service was very, very friendly, prompt and helpful when we asked for anything.

The food was very reasonably priced, especially the pre-theatre deal. It's an eclectic menu, influences from around the globe. Portions tended to be on the generous side, flavour was there most of the time - my main was beef cheeks that came with a sticky soy and star anise sauce that was exactly that, but the wasabi potatoes were lighter on the wasabi than I would have happily dealt with. Everything was cooked relatively well, the beef in particular.

Decent enough range of desserts, especially the ice creams and sorbets which had some interesting combinations. The wine list isn't huge but pretty much covers any food choice and they do house carafes at 500ml, which is helpful.

Liked it enough to make another reservation for next time we're going to the Playhouse.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Anyone been to Xiangbala Hotpot in Dalry? I saw a thing on TV a week or so ago where they were in China and went to one of these hot pot restaurants. I quite like the look of it.

Promising Youngster
    Has anyone been to Nonna's kitchen before up in morningside? Heard good things about it so thinking of going there for my birthday

I was in Walnut on Sunday for their Sunday lunch. As were a couple of other Hibbies that I hadn't seen for a while.

Good food, good service BYOB. Mains mostly around a tenner, fist courses and puddings around a fiver.

No sign of any walnuts though!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    Has anyone been to Nonna's kitchen before up in morningside? Heard good things about it so thinking of going there for my birthday
    Nonna's is good. I find the main woman a bit abrupt but the other staff / family are really nice and the food is good.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    http://www.osteriafrancescana.it

10 days until I'm in this place...cannae wait is an understatement!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    Yes. Very good food, very friendly, like it a lot

After folk raving about The Mosque Kitchen I was there the other week.

I really don't see what folk are seeing, or tasting here.

Lots of rice, lots and lots of rice, lots of curry sauce, which honestly is no better than my own, in which there was very little chicken. The nann bread was nice.

Yeah it's cheap but in my opinion it's not worth it. I really was quite disappointed.

Can't say I was impressed with the greetin faced staff other than the smiling girl clearing the tables. Maybe it was her last day.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Recently at Miro's Cantina on Rose Street, have now been there several times and yet to find fault.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Anyone been to Xiangbala Hotpot in Dalry? I saw a thing on TV a week or so ago where they were in China and went to one of these hot pot restaurants. I quite like the look of it.
    Never been for a meal but I pass it a lot and it's always busy. I suppose that tells you something.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Which one did you go to, Nicolson sq or the one in the mosque itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    After folk raving about The Mosque Kitchen I was there the other week.

I really don't see what folk are seeing, or tasting here.

Lots of rice, lots and lots of rice, lots of curry sauce, which honestly is no better than my own, in which there was very little chicken. The nann bread was nice.

Yeah it's cheap but in my opinion it's not worth it. I really was quite disappointed.

Can't say I was impressed with the greetin faced staff other than the smiling girl clearing the tables. Maybe it was her last day.

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    Which one did you go to, Nicolson sq or the one in the mosque itself?
    There's 2!?!

Nicolson Sq.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    There's 2!?!

Nicolson Sq.
    The proper one is in at the back of the Mosque and has been around for at least 15 years.

Nicholson Sq one is about 5 years old and has called itself that to dupe tourists and to capitalise on the success of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The proper one is in at the back of the Mosque and has been around for at least 15 years.

Nicholson Sq one is about 5 years old and has called itself that to dupe tourists and to capitalise on the success of the original.
    Thanks for that. I still might have trouble convincing my good lady though!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Thanks for that. I still might have trouble convincing my good lady though!
    Haven't been to Nicolson sq but the Original is decent, not too wide a choice but good quality, cheap and decent portions. Staff very friendly and welcoming.

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Recently at Miro's Cantina on Rose Street, have now been there several times and yet to find fault.
    There burritos sold at lunch time out of the police box oposite the restuarant are good as well. Only tried the pork and a steak one, the pulled lamb sounds like it could be good though.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

The Nicholson Sq one is actually the original one that used to be in the mosque. They fell out and moved out maybe about 4 or 5 years ago. There was a gap between them moving to Nicholson Sq and new folk taking over the Mosque site.

I'd agree the one in the actual Mosque now serves infinitely better food.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The Nicholson Sq one is actually the original one that used to be in the mosque. They fell out and moved out maybe about 4 or 5 years ago. There was a gap between them moving to Nicholson Sq and new folk taking over the Mosque site.

I'd agree the one in the actual Mosque now serves infinitely better food.
    There used to be a crackin wee place just along the road called Mother's Kitchen, is that still there? Massive cardboard bowl of whatever curry they'd made that day, a plastic spoon, and a cold can of juice with no cup. Gid food though

Tried Tuk Tuk last night opposite the Kings Theatre, decent enough for the price and a cheap night with BYOB.
    Went for the set menu,you can replenish each dish as often as yo like.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Walked past loads of times and only ever seen Chinese (I assume) people eating there. There is a distinctive smell I have only ever smelled in Bangkok that comes from the place. Both of those things suggest to me it doesn't sell usual Chinese take away food. The fact that there are lots of Asian people eating there also suggests to me they must serve pretty authentic/traditional food. Would be interested to hear your review if and when you go.😀

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Tried Tuk Tuk last night opposite the Kings Theatre, decent enough for the price and a cheap night with BYOB.
    Went for the set menu,you can replenish each dish as often as yo like.

Wasn't overly impressed when there, but it was over a year ago. Nice Thai place in the side street just over the road. BYOB, and very very authentic called Absolute Thai. Best Thai in Edinburgh IMO. Good idea to book as it only seats about 25.

Quote Originally Posted by lugz View Post
    I went to the Gurkha bar and restaurant last night in Musselburgh. it's a nice wee small place with friendly staff.

The food was amazing, I'd go as far as saying the best curry I've ever tasted. There were 5 of us there and everyone was saying how great the food was.

Definitely going back!
    Ghurka at fountain bridge is also worth a visit. Great curries, and naans are huge.

My old man was @ Kebabish in Dalry Road last night and said it was very good, BYOB too I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    My old man was @ Kebabish in Dalry Road last night and said it was very good, BYOB too I think.
    Laddie was there last week he said the same. On the list for our monthly curry club visit.