hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone been to the Chophousesteak restaurant that Fontaine tweeted about a couple of weeks ago. Think there's 2 in Edinburgh. Apologies if it's already on this thread
    Leith one on Constitution Street is very good. Finally tried Market Street a few weeks back and no comparison. Staff were up their own erse and food was bang average despite being a similar menu.

Tbh even having enjoyed the Leith one I wouldn't say it's the best steak in Edinburgh.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Leith one on Constitution Street is very good. Finally tried Market Street a few weeks back and no comparison. Staff were up their own erse and food was bang average despite being a similar menu.

Tbh even having enjoyed the Leith one I wouldn't say it's the best steak in Edinburgh.
    I'd agree with that. We went to the Market Street one first and it was OK but not great and the staff were a bit pretentious. We were then invited to a friend's birthday lunch at the Leith one and it was way better even with better service even though we were a big group.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, will try the Leith one

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, will try the Leith one
    My wife went to the Leith one at lunch time and it was dreadful so she decided to complain and they couldn't have been any better. They gave us a free meal for two and didn't charge us for the drinks we had and it was absolutely superb.

Would definitely go back.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Posted about this place before but been at Dine Edinburgh at the Traverse twice again in the last couple of weeks. The market or pre-theatre menu is ridiculously good value, with the food being very good and really well executed. Service is tremendous and the location and set-up are great.

It's been a bit of a go-to restaurant when attending the Usher Hall, because the location is so good, but has shifted into the kind of place I would choose for going out with friends in its own right - because of the qualities described above,
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Posted about this place before but been at Dine Edinburgh at the Traverse twice again in the last couple of weeks. The market or pre-theatre menu is ridiculously good value, with the food being very good and really well executed. Service is tremendous and the location and set-up are great.

It's been a bit of a go-to restaurant when attending the Usher Hall, because the location is so good, but has shifted into the kind of place I would choose for going out with friends in its own right - because of the qualities described above,
    I bought a meal for 2 for my mums birthday recently. She raved about all aspects of it. I need to give it a try. Fishers for me tonight. Cant wait

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Okay we are regulars, and recognised as such by the staff but had another fantastic lunch with wine at La Piazza this afternoon.

Heading up to the Bridge at Ratho for tea, looking forward to it

Had an excellent meal at Bridge Inn. Only disappointment for one of us, was the Sunday Roast was chicken and not beef
    Staff very courteous and polite
    Will go again, but probably not on a Sunday as it was very very busy
    Anyone know if this privately owned?

Been to the leith depot a couple times recently. Had the skate first time which came with, prawns, mash and greens. Fish and chips more recently. Both were good and would go back. Focus of the menus is definitely on seafood although they do have other options.

Stand out from eating there though is the scottish affogatto. Vanilla ice cream and deep fried mars bar toped with a shot of buckfast.

Went to scotties for lunch yesterday and it was great value.

Far cry from the last time I was there and the pub was dying on its arse, well played to whoever is responsible for that turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Went to scotties for lunch yesterday and it was great value.

Far cry from the last time I was there and the pub was dying on its arse, well played to whoever is responsible for that turnaround.
    Boy in my work was telling me about the food there last week. I was sceptical but that's 2 good reviews now. I'm only 10 minutes from there so may give it a go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Boy in my work was telling me about the food there last week. I was sceptical but that's 2 good reviews now. I'm only 10 minutes from there so may give it a go.
    Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm no foodie by any stretch of the imagination so pub grub suits me down to the ground and it was the value of it and service that really impressed me. Was almost bang on £20 for two main meals and a couple of pints of juice.

We were at the fort earlier in the day and were toying with the idea of a five guys but I couldn't bring myself to spend the best part of £30 on fast food that's alright but nothing special imo, the volume of the music in there is far too loud for me not to get annoyed by it too.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm no foodie by any stretch of the imagination so pub grub suits me down to the ground and it was the value of it and service that really impressed me. Was almost bang on £20 for two main meals and a couple of pints of juice.

We were at the fort earlier in the day and were toying with the idea of a five guys but I couldn't bring myself to spend the best part of £30 on fast food that's alright but nothing special imo, the volume of the music in there is far too loud for me not to get annoyed by it too.
    Five guys is expensive but I do like their burgers.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Stuck record for La Garrigue but had lunch there at the weekend and then attended last night for a tasting menu based around wines from a vineyard in the Languedoc - La Garrigue's owner had become friends with the owners and organised an evening around it.

The food was delicious, highlight was a reduced red wine sauce with shallots and marrow fat accompanying monkfish. It was exceptional, especially given I would never associate a red wine sauce or a red wine pair with monkfish.

All told, it's consistently been the best food I've had in Edinburgh, very reasonably priced, in a lovely setting with great views and fantastic service. I couldn't recommend it more.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

Stuck record for La Garrigue but had lunch there at the weekend and then attended last night for a tasting menu based around wines from a vineyard in the Languedoc - La Garrigue's owner had become friends with the owners and organised an evening around it.

The food was delicious, highlight was a reduced red wine sauce with shallots and marrow fat accompanying monkfish. It was exceptional, especially given I would never associate a red wine sauce or a red wine pair with monkfish.

All told, it's consistently been the best food I've had in Edinburgh, very reasonably priced, in a lovely setting with great views and fantastic service. I couldn't recommend it more.
    The only time I ate there I was deeply disappointed with it.

That was before Ramsay lent a hand mind you. Might give it another go.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Finally got to dishoom! Was really good. I recommend going with people you have similar tastes with and can readily share good as it allows you to try more.

Service was good, food was good, got all we could eat and a couple drinks each for under £40 including tip. I'd recommend trying a lassi for anyone that goes; not sure if you can get it in supermarkets - but it's somewhere between milk and yogurt and comes with various flavourings (mango and fennel for me).
    Mon the Hibs.

Adding to the previous chop house chat, i went to the leith one for breakfast last weekend. For me its up there with the scran and scailie for best breakfast in Edinburgh. The portions were unbelieveable; Huge wheel sausage, and the haggis and black pudding come as big rectangular chunks. Definitely a breakfast to go home for a rest after rather than to start your day on.

Was also at andrew ushers recently. Good pub burgers at a very reasonable prices. Always nice stuff on tap to go along with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    The only time I ate there I was deeply disappointed with it.

That was before Ramsay lent a hand mind you. Might give it another go.
    Why was that? Genuinely interested.

I've been going for about the last five years but I believe it's been around for a lot longer than that.

The current manager seems very on the ball. The owner is doing more around wine tours and the like in the last couple of years but the food has been consistently good in my experience.

Gamer IDs

Why was that? Genuinely interested.

I've been going for about the last five years but I believe it's been around for a lot longer than that.

The current manager seems very on the ball. The owner is doing more around wine tours and the like in the last couple of years but the food has been consistently good in my experience.
    It was quite a few years ago

Food was instantly forgettable. Ramsay ripped it to shreds a couple of years later so maybe it's had the desired effect.

I seem to remember he made John Michel leave the kitchen. Perhaps that was the problem

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    It was quite a few years ago

Food was instantly forgettable. Ramsay ripped it to shreds a couple of years later so maybe it's had the desired effect.

I seem to remember he made John Michel leave the kitchen. Perhaps that was the problem
    That's interesting. I knew Ramsay had bigged it up massively back around 2010 or thereabouts but didn't know he had gone back on that.

I first started going around 2012, but more consistently in the last three years, solely based on experience. Jean Michel was definitely front of house by then, and that's been the case since. More so with the focus on the wine tours, marketing and themed nights I suspect - the wine tours in particular seem to be very popular. For sure there's been turnover in the kitchen over that period!

It's not competing with Kitchin, Jack or the starred hotels but it does do genuine Languedoc cuisine with genuine Languedoc wines at a decent price given it's in the city centre. That's one of my favourite types of cuisine and it's hard to see past it!

There's not many decent Indian restaurants in the Livingston area with Khushis in Mid Calder being the best.

However, the Bay Leaf in Pumpherston is now up there.

Had tried this restaurant years ago but had not gone back as the food was only average. Had noticed earlier this year that there were several very good reviews on the food so thought would have to give it another try.

Was very pleased to find it had new owners and the quality of the food was superb. It's now run by a couple of guys that had worked in Khushis & Mithas in Edinburgh & has a chef that had been in Khushis also.

Since then my wife and I have been back several times and enjoyed the food very much. We'll certainly be regulars there from now on and would recommend any lovers of Indian food to give it a try if you're in the area, doubt you'll be disappointed and like us will likely return for more.

Blog Entries
    Had a fabulous dad and daughter day out to celebrate her 40th and my 70th at L'Enclume, Simon Rogan's gourmet mecca in Cartmel, Cumbria. We had the 17 item tasting menu with the accompanying 'wine flight' interrupted by a superb cheese board and yet more dedicated wines. The three hour extravaganza was unbelievably delicious and stands head and shoulders above any restaurant experience I've ever had. I remember seeing it on 'The Trip' a few years ago and thought I'd maybe get there one day. Another item scored off the bucket list. I'll go back for my 80th.
    Last edited by Jim44; 30-06-2017 at 12:09 AM.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Has anybody done lunch or dinner at Colonnades at the Signet Library
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Lunch today at Castle Terrace for the wives birthday. Fantastic experience food was incredible.

Not a massive foodie myself and not bothered about Michelin stars but was told by a mate who's right into that sort of thing that since losing theirs last year they have really upped their game and working hard to impress to get it back.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Lunch today at Castle Terrace for the wives birthday. Fantastic experience food was incredible.

Not a massive foodie myself and not bothered about Michelin stars but was told by a mate who's right into that sort of thing that since losing theirs last year they have really upped their game and working hard to impress to get it back.
    I've heard from a few people that it's the best restaurant in Edinburgh right now. It got such a bad press for a while and lost its star and rightly so, but they've made a real effort to turn things around. The exact opposite of the place in Henderson Street that just refused to accept any sort of criticism.

United we stand here....

Went to Maison Bleue over the weekend and it was pretty good. Setting is nice and the food overall was pretty good but i'd sidestep the fillet and go for the cheaper options as it wasnt worth £30.

Somewhere a bit further away but ate in Rocpool,on the shores of the Ness in Inverness city centre on Tuesday.

The service was incredibly attentive, despite the restaurant being fully-booked and hence very busy. As you would imagine, almost all of the other customers were tourists and just hearing the staff talking to the surrounding tables demonstrated how strong they were on customer service, explaining dishes in a polite, friendly and engaging manner.

Scallops for starter, which were as fresh as you like. The highlight was venison for the main. It was potentially slightly rare for most folk but absolutely perfect for me - I will order venison pretty regularly when eating out and I can't remember ever having it so well-prepared.

Close second to the main was the dessert. I'm not sweet-toothed so invariably will go for the cheese board. They promised three cheeses, but provided four. The three promised ones were a hard, soft and blue all made from ewe's milk. I love sheep's milk cheese so it was about as perfect a finisher as it could possibly get!

Mix of wines and port by the glass, which were all fine. It's not cheap but absolutely well worth it and on a par or better with the majority of places I've eaten in, in Edinburgh. Will be rebooking for next time I'm up in Inverness.

Went to Martin Wishart for lunch on Saturday (quite different to my usual pre match routine) and a 12:15 booking gave us time for a 5 course tasting menu and a quick drink before kick off.

The food was excellent and it's amazing how much flavour they can pack in to the various small elements of the dishes. The plates were like a work of art. Very difficult to fault any of it. The service was also excellent as you'd expect.

The only small issue I have is that it was £75 for the 5 course taster (£120 with wine pairing), which I thought was pretty steep for a lunch menu. Castle Terrace, which is equally good only don't think it has a star, was a lot cheaper for lunch - £40 IIRC, which I think is more consistent with other similar restaurants.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Looking for recommendations for the best Indian in or around the city centre. Needs to be somewhere that can cater for table of 10. Suggestions please.