hibs.net Messageboard

Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking for some opinions. What’s the best burger joint in Edinburgh and why?
    I have tried lots of burgers in lots of places some places of big reputation down to a burger in the Cambridge bar.There are some decent burgers but the thing is that the decent ones are all so similar in quality that I couldn’t really say one was better than the other. The quality of the the actual Pattie is what I judge my burgers on, not the stack of crap on top of it. Call me old fashioned but if I can’t pick it up and eat it in the bun without losing half of it, I don’t rate it that highly.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 04-02-2019 at 07:04 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Promising Youngster
    Cambridge bar for me, lots of different choice and the burgers are great.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Has anyone eaten at Gardeners Cottage?

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Have to give a shoutout to Holyrood 9a here. Had a sensational burger in here after a strut around Arthur’s Seat one Sunday before Christmas. Great Beer & Whiskey selection too.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It was a few years ago now, but I had a burger in the Malmaison hotel in Leith that was amazing.

In town, red squirrel is usually pretty good.

Murrayfield bar do a cracking burger for a fiver on Wednesdays.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Good food and great Burgers in The Urban Fox in Causewayside, worth a visit

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Was in Glasgow on Friday night and went to Brian Maule at Chardon d’Or, on West Regent Street.

Gorgeous food and great, low-key service, we were very happy with it. I’d been wanting to go for ages but the opportunity had never arisen.

It’s fine dining (albeit in a pretty relaxed way) but in terms of pricing it is significantly cheaper than what you would pay in Edinburgh. We had the tasting menu with wines and i reckon in Edinburgh the cost would have been somewhere between 50-100% higher, and probably nearer 100 than 50.

Well worth a visit as a treat, it’s pretty central so it’s easy to get to and no shortage of bars for pre- or post-dinner drinks.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The Lothian rd brewdog does nice burgers and great beer.

I can only guage from my eyes at the moment, but Hamiltons in Stockbridge looked to have very good burgers.

Their nachos were good too, but I suddenly felt a little underwhelmed by them once 2 of their burgers passed my eyeline to an adjacent table.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Has anyone been to Purslane in St Stephen Street, Stockbridge? I have a big celebration later this year and I'm looking for a good restaurant in the new town or Stockbridge area. Good quality and well presented food is what I'm looking for.

Thanks folks.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Has anyone been to Purslane in St Stephen Street, Stockbridge? I have a big celebration later this year and I'm looking for a good restaurant in the new town or Stockbridge area. Good quality and well presented food is what I'm looking for.

Thanks folks.
    Yes, but a few years ago now. It delivered what you're looking for I would say. I done the tasting menu but there was a normal menu that looked good.

Six by Nico is also worth considering if all of your party aren't fussy (the only option to a course is the veggie alternative - otherwise it's a set menu).
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post

Thanks folks.
    I went a while ago now, was really good I thought. I can’t even remember what I had, sure it was some sort of pork dish. They do a tasting menu but we just ordered from the a la Carte.

Anyone been to The Spanish Butcher in Glasgow? heard great things.

Had lunch at Mono on the South Bridge on Wednesday - it was very quiet, we had a later booking (2pm) and were the only couple in.

Food was decent enough, actually very good for some courses. The wine list was a touch on the pricy side but good quality.

Its theme appears to be ‘sophisticated Italian’ and I think it manages that with the food though I would be tempted to see what the quality was like at dinner rather than lunch, with a fuller restaurant.

The wines, though generally not cheap, do offer a broad range of the Italian regions, it’s a good, diverse list.

I generally shy away from Italian restaurants when in town as I’m quite happy making risottos, pizzas or pasta in my own kitchen but Mono offered things I wouldn’t necessarily make myself, and so I would be happy to return.

Got lunch at the Educated Flea tomorrow and am looking forward to it, have had great meals on every previous visit.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Very jealous. I’ve not eaten out in months! Damn diet / health issue.
    Last edited by overdrive; 09-03-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Very jealous. I’ve not eaten out in months!
    Oo er Mrs! 😲

Educated Flea very good as always. They were turning people away in droves though it might have been exacerbated by the rugby. Definitely somewhere you need to book for, particularly at lunch when there’s a show on at the Playhouse.

I’m not coeliac but the Flea and its sister restaurants are very gluten-free friendly. The menus almost assume non-gluten and work from there.

Big thumbs up, very friendly service and pretty reasonable pricing for the location. The pricing on the kids menu is an absolute steal and the quality and portion size is great.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Oo er Mrs! 😲
    Not that either since the missus got bored and left

Looking for recommendations for three of us for next Wednesday afternoon before the Killie game, anywhere between Market St and the top of Leith Walk. Nothing too fancy or expensive, just somewhere good for a feed and a pint. Went to the Rose St Brewery last time I was up on an afternoon but didn't think too much to the food.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Looking for recommendations for three of us for next Wednesday afternoon before the Killie game, anywhere between Market St and the top of Leith Walk. Nothing too fancy or expensive, just somewhere good for a feed and a pint. Went to the Rose St Brewery last time I was up on an afternoon but didn't think too much to the food.
    Try The Doric on Market Street. Great Scran & Beers - claimed to be Edinburgh’s oldest Gastropub.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Try The Doric on Market Street. Great Scran & Beers - claimed to be Edinburgh’s oldest Gastropub.
    Thanks for that, will take a look. The Hebrides next door is a familiar haunt before catching the train south so familiar with the location.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Thanks for that, will take a look. The Hebrides next door is a familiar haunt before catching the train south so familiar with the location.
    It's been a few years since I was there, but the Doric is good I believe. The restaurant area is upstairs, so don't be fooled by the small bar area when you walk in.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Just looked at the Doric menu: beef cheek £21.95 ??? One costs £2.50 in a supermarket. Add on veg and man hours, but really....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Just looked at the Doric menu: beef cheek £21.95 ??? One costs £2.50 in a supermarket. Add on veg and man hours, but really....
    The chances are that they'll be paying more than supermarket prices for their meat. Beef cheek is superb/tender and isn't the cheapest.

As a rough guide, restaurants often charge 3x the cost of the ingredients for any given dish.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The chances are that they'll be paying more than supermarket prices for their meat. Beef cheek is superb/tender and isn't the cheapest.

As a rough guide, restaurants often charge 3x the cost of the ingredients for any given dish.

Plus VAT too.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    It’s not the most glamorous of settings but if someone is looking for a cheap and cheerful cafe, possibly to take an older (or younger actually) person I can’t recommend Dobie’s cafe at Bonnyrigg highly enough.

We used to go now and again as it was great value but the cafe was always a bit tatty, cramped and confusion reigned at the tills. We went this morning for mother’s day though and it’s had a full refit and it’s absolutely superb. Loads more space created and if you didn’t know better you would think you’re in a high end hotel. I take a lot of feeding and I got a good sized cooked breakfast for £4.75, there was bigger available as well though.

There’s a small softplay at the side that’s due to open next week as well for folk who have younger kids.

Promising Youngster
    Has anyone been to the Kitchin for lunch? Looking to do their £30 set lunch menu, most likely with the paired wines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    Has anyone been to the Kitchin for lunch? Looking to do their £30 set lunch menu, most likely with the paired wines.

It is exceptionally good value, an absolute steal to be honest.

The wine pairings have been thought-out and worked well when I’ve been in the past.

It does tend to make you want to book for dinner though and while their dinner menus are superb they take you into a whole new ballpark cost wise, especially once you factor in wine.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

It is exceptionally good value, an absolute steal to be honest.

The wine pairings have been thought-out and worked well when I’ve been in the past.

It does tend to make you want to book for dinner though and while their dinner menus are superb they take you into a whole new ballpark cost wise, especially once you factor in wine.
    Had a 60th birthday dinner there. Brilliant experience, not cheap but worth it IMHO
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.