hibs.net Messageboard

Page 27 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alnewhaven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went last night, excellent meal. Been to one in Liverpool so knew what to expect and didn’t over indulge. You have coloured disks on the table, turn it to red if you don’t want anything brought over, green if you do. Waiters coming around constantly with skewers if meat which they slice offfor you. Selections of steak ( rump, skirt,sirloin) pork , chicken , gammon , sausage. Def onefor the dedicated carnivore though there is an extensive salad bar as well.
    Sounds like a place we went in Abu Dhabi last year. I got the meat sweats after that meal!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Anyone been to papillon? (Used to be bond no 9)

I rarely get out for a meal these days but they’ve got a decent deal on itison (or maybe groupon) this week so going there after the game tomorrow.

I’m fairly easily pleased so hope the food just comes quick and hot and I’m sure I’ll be happy.

Is Miller and Carter decent?
    What do they consider smart casual?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Is Miller and Carter decent?
    What do they consider smart casual?
    Wasn't aware there was a dress code but last time I went to their Crammond Brig joint the young Hearts keeper, Jack Hamilton, was there. Trainers, no socks, just sayin',,,

Me and my Mrs are of to Topolabamba Mexican in Lothian Road tomorrow. First visit for us, although she has been at their Glasgow venue and loved it.
    Any dot netters been?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Me and my Mrs are of to Topolabamba Mexican in Lothian Road tomorrow. First visit for us, although she has been at their Glasgow venue and loved it.
    Any dot netters been?
    I haven’t, but let me know why you think, as I live Mexican good. My favs are Miros in Rose St, Viva Mexico in Cockburn St, and Pancho Villas in the Canongate

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Taisteal, Stockbridge. Marvellous scran
    Been a couple of times, really great food, and if you are lucky, an Itison deal comes up now and then

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I haven’t, but let me know why you think, as I live Mexican good. My favs are Miros in Rose St, Viva Mexico in Cockburn St, and Pancho Villas in the Canongate
    Not been for a good few years but the Blue parrot cantina on St Stpehens street used to be the best Mexican in Edinburgh, at least imo. I was never a great fan of Pancho Villas. Tried it about 3 or 4 times but was left disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Not been for a good few years but the Blue parrot cantina on St Stpehens street used to be the best Mexican in Edinburgh, at least imo. I was never a great fan of Pancho Villas. Tried it about 3 or 4 times but was left disappointed.
    El Cartel on Thistle Street is really good.

Short menu, and they dont take reservations, but well worth it

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post

Always like a new place to try, cheers.

On a side note, im sure ive defended Vittorias wither on this thread or an earlier one, however I must say ive been pretty dissapointed in my last 3 visits.

I would say the first was more the choice, I went for crab and lobster burger. The patty itself was nice, but the bun was rock solid and when trying to eat the crab meat and fillings just fell out.

Second time again, I stupidly tried a different pizza (bbq chicken I think it was) and was not impressed at all with the pizza which used to be my favourite thing from there.

Went last week again and got the mussels which were as always very good (creme and bacon sauce ones). but agian I went for my usual normal pizza and again it was just 'OK'. My mrs got fish and chips one of the times and she didnt enjoy it, very greasy fish.

I always loved vittorias but not sure if they have new chefs, just different ones at lunch time which is the 3 times ive last been or changed the food/suppliers (its also being seved on slates etc, I guess trying to be a bit fancier).
    I think I will wait a while before trying again, and will go in the evening.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Well worth the visit for the pitchers of margaritas alone!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    agreed, and not the watered down versions served in so many other places

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

They're opening an El Cartel on Teviot Place, up beside Ting Thai Caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    ... and the deep fried cheesy balls!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

El Cartel is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Anyone been to papillon? (Used to be bond no 9)

I rarely get out for a meal these days but they’ve got a decent deal on itison (or maybe groupon) this week so going there after the game tomorrow.

I’m fairly easily pleased so hope the food just comes quick and hot and I’m sure I’ll be happy.
    How was it? Ive been planning to go there but not got around to it.

Went to finn and bear last night. The food comes as smaller sharing portions. The pork cheek, and the king prawn dishses were both realy good, the chips decent also. The only let down was the flat iron steak dish. Got some realy nice beers on tap as well.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    How was it? Ive been planning to go there but not got around to it.
    Food was really good. Won’t win any awards right enough but filled a hole.

My only criticism was we were in the conservatory bit and it was absolutely bloody freezing, I ended up eating my meal with my big winter coat on which was no use really.

If you go make sure you get seated in the main bar area.

Another wee thing that bugs me and this is maybe better posted in the pet peeves thread but can we start getting food on plates again please? Fish and chips came on this shell shaped tile thingy and the fries came in a plant pot. Doesn’t effect the taste of the food so don’t know why I’m moaning, I just find it annoying.

My only criticism was we were in the conservatory bit and it was absolutely bloody freezing, I ended up eating my meal with my big winter coat on which was no use really.

Another wee thing that bugs me and this is maybe better posted in the pet peeves thread but can we start getting food on plates again please? Fish and chips came on this shell shaped tile thingy and the fries came in a plant pot. Doesn’t effect the taste of the food so don’t know why I’m moaning, I just find it annoying.
    Agree re the plates. Absolutely no reason for food to be served in a plant pot

Your last paragraph is spot on.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Went to the Doric last night. It was a pre-theatre thing, had originally booked Field but they could only take us at 5:45 whereas the Doric was available from five, which allowed time for a more relaxed dinner.

I've been there a few times, though not for a couple of years, and most often with people from outside Edinburgh as it is very handy for the station and does a lot of 'traditional' Scottish dishes.

The service was keen and the food itself was very, very decent. We both had a mezze platter to start which was fairly simple but nevertheless very tasty. Mains were a clam linguine and a venison stew. Both were full of flavour and generously portioned. We both had the cheeseboard to finish and again, it was a big serving and well-balanced.

Prices are relatively reasonable for the centre of Edinburgh, decent wine list and an extensive beer list with links into the food menu.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Went to the Doric last night. It was a pre-theatre thing, had originally booked Field but they could only take us at 5:45 whereas the Doric was available from five, which allowed time for a more relaxed dinner.

I've been there a few times, though not for a couple of years, and most often with people from outside Edinburgh as it is very handy for the station and does a lot of 'traditional' Scottish dishes.

The service was keen and the food itself was very, very decent. We both had a mezze platter to start which was fairly simple but nevertheless very tasty. Mains were a clam linguine and a venison stew. Both were full of flavour and generously portioned. We both had the cheeseboard to finish and again, it was a big serving and well-balanced.

Prices are relatively reasonable for the centre of Edinburgh, decent wine list and an extensive beer list with links into the food menu.
    The Doric is brilliant for food. They have been doing 'gastropub' since before it was a thing and are very good at it.

I really like both the Doric and the Hebrides in that neck of the woods. Both pretty no nonsense pubs and they do what they do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Doric is brilliant for food. They have been doing 'gastropub' since before it was a thing and are very good at it.

I really like both the Doric and the Hebrides in that neck of the woods. Both pretty no nonsense pubs and they do what they do well.
    I'm in and out of Waverley a lot with work and the Doric is a natural resting place on the homeward-bound journey while waiting on my connection.

They've got a very decent wine list in the bar downstairs and a good range of beers. And as has been said, the food upstairs is top-notch.

I'm fond of the Hebrides, it's a good, couthy Edinburgh bar. Reminds me of the Captain's Bar on South College Street, both are small but have a reasonable choice of beers, albeit they are both very limited for wine

I think the Doric and the Hebrides do well as 'proper' functioning Edinburgh pubs - they've got competition from a range of sources but they do what they do and it encourages you to go back.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I'm in and out of Waverley a lot with work and the Doric is a natural resting place on the homeward-bound journey while waiting on my connection.

They've got a very decent wine list in the bar downstairs and a good range of beers. And as has been said, the food upstairs is top-notch.

I'm fond of the Hebrides, it's a good, couthy Edinburgh bar. Reminds me of the Captain's Bar on South College Street, both are small but have a reasonable choice of beers, albeit they are both very limited for wine

I think the Doric and the Hebrides do well as 'proper' functioning Edinburgh pubs - they've got competition from a range of sources but they do what they do and it encourages you to go back.
    In recent years I've found myself becoming far less dogmatic about what I drink and being more concerned with where I drink it; within reason of course.

I'd much prefer a decent pint of Tennents in a warm, old fashioned pub with efficient staff and punters who will say hello to you to a fancy sour in a hipster by numbers job with bare lightbulbs, red wiring and random graffiti served by a sullenstudent who doesn't want to be there. If you can find a gem that manages to marry the 2 and offer an excellent drinks choice and a traditional feel then all the better.

In recent years I've found myself becoming far less dogmatic about what I drink and being more concerned with where I drink it; within reason of course.

I'd much prefer a decent pint of Tennents in a warm, old fashioned pub with efficient staff and punters who will say hello to you to a fancy sour in a hipster by numbers job with bare lightbulbs, red wiring and random graffiti served by a sullenstudent who doesn't want to be there. If you can find a gem that manages to marry the 2 and offer an excellent drinks choice and a traditional feel then all the better.
    I think it's a sign of getting older

It's a good sign though.

I met up with a bunch of guys I used to go to ER and play Sunday football with, for the recent home game against Aberdeen. It was a good twenty years ago from our playing days. We met up pre-game in a bar that was our home from home in those days. It was still decent but painfully stylish and very much a hipster's playground. We ended up decamping to a place on the Walk that we had never been before, not really a football pub, but the atmosphere and ambience was tremendous. Ended up going back there after the match before going onwards.

As the years roll by I'm becoming increasingly content to spend my time in "old mens pubs".

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Any dot netters been?
    What did you think, wouldn’t mind going, but would prefer a review on here 1st

Went to Molè Mexican in London at the weekend. We really nice and also reasonably priced. The crab tacos were outstanding.

Also went to Hawksmoor which is opening soon in Edinburgh. The beef dripping fries were very good, steak wise you’re better off at Chop House, Miller & Carter or even Cau.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Six by Nico on Hanover Street. Fantastic food.

We went to Hectors in Stockbridge for some drinks and grub pretty standard menu but the burger was excellent.

Mini pub crawl around the area what is it with people taking their dogs out with them on a Saturday night!