hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. We made a day of it. Train from Glasgow to Lancaster, then train up to Grange over Sands and taxi to Cartmel. The meal ( tasting menu ) took about three hours then reversed journey.
    Thanks, that's helpful.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Went to The Raj at Blackhall last night, was a regular at the Leith restaurant similar menu with a few new additions food was superb and very cheap almost takeaway prices.

Wandered onto this forum for the first time in years, having worked in more than a couple of these kitchens I find this a highly interesting read. If some of you knew the things I knew behind closed doors some opinions would change for sure!

Any other .netters here chefs in the city??

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    Wandered onto this forum for the first time in years, having worked in more than a couple of these kitchens I find this a highly interesting read. If some of you knew the things I knew behind closed doors some opinions would change for sure!

Not a chef but my work takes me into kitchens every day. Have worked with several chefs over the years mainly at the Caley.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!

Your going to have to 'spill the bean's ' so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Your going to have to 'spill the bean's ' so to speak?
    Probably not a great idea, it's a bit like back in 'nam, I've seen some things.
    The less the general public know the better!!

If it makes you feel any better, in my experience there's more good guys than bad and it's such a transient industry the bad don't stick around in one place for too long.
    Mind you that applies to a lot of the good ones too!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Miller and Carter on Frederick Street, thank me later
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Miller and Carter on Frederick Street, thank me later
    Been to the one at Cramond. Love it!

We had a mare at the one in Fredrick Street, forgot our order then got it wrong! Manager dealt with it well halving the bill but won't be back anytime soon.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    Have been twice recently to Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar for lunch. £9.99 for 2 courses, bread coffee and brownie. Exemplary service, lovely room and excellent food. Very good quality for the price. Previously had been twice in the evening, much more expensive but very good for a special occasion

Anyone been to Kyloe restaurant recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Anyone been to Kyloe restaurant recently?
    Went a couple of months ago best steak place in Edinburgh I think.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Had lunch at Blonde on St Leonard's Street on Sunday , £15-90 for 3 courses or £12-90 for 2, excellent food and service. Will be back

http://blonderestaurant.co.uk/

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goosano View Post
    Have been twice recently to Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar for lunch. £9.99 for 2 courses, bread coffee and brownie. Exemplary service, lovely room and excellent food. Very good quality for the price. Previously had been twice in the evening, much more expensive but very good for a special occasion
    Been there a few times for lunch and dinner and agree with you, very good

Quote Originally Posted by alhibby View Post
    Had lunch at Blonde on St Leonard's Street on Sunday , £15-90 for 3 courses or £12-90 for 2, excellent food and service. Will be back

http://blonderestaurant.co.uk/
    I've been here a few times for my work's christmas lunch and it's always been excellent

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goosano View Post
    Fully agree. Everything about the experience is exemplary. Only a matter of time before he us talked of alongside Wishart and Kitchin

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Probably not a great idea, it's a bit like back in 'nam, I've seen some things.
    The less the general public know the better!!
    About 20 years ago I worked in City Limits in the Gyle.
    I personally witnessed one of the chef's knocking a water jug off the shelf which landed and smashed into a colander full of iceberg lettuce .
    He washed it under the tap and was ready to serve it untill a couple of us noticed and stopped him.

He said it would have been fine as he'd washed it.

Also seen the very same chef step down from cleaning the wall behind the frier and stepped directly into the hot fat he had just drained from the frier.

Mental

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Finally got to Wedgwood on the Cannongate, superb meal and great service.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Not a chef but have worked in the bar/restaurant area in a few of the places mentioned on here during my Uni days so know exactly what you mean.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    RiveRlife on dalry road. Used my tastecard to get 2for1 and ended up enjoying scallops wrapped in prosciutto, followed by a delicious duck with dauphinoise potatoes all for £13. BYOB too.
    Mon the Hibs.

Slightly further afield, I was in Leeds at the weekend.

We went to Crafthouse, and its sister bar Angelica in the city centre.

They both sit on the top of the Trinity Centre, which is a big shopping mall, though they have their own elevator entrance at street level.

Angelica is on what would be the 6th floor and has views all over the city rooftops, both from indoors and from a roof terrace. Leeds is very reminiscent of Glasgow, lots of interesting architecture from the time of Empire. Drinks were Edinburgh prices, the bar is cocktail-orientated, service was friendly and efficient. Would definitely return.

Crafthouse is on the floor below. We had the tasting menu with accompanying wine. It was very reasonably priced, the wines especially, given they were free-poured and generous. The wines genuinely matched the food, which isn't always the case. The courses themselves were slight - as a tasting menu is meant to be, I guess - but all very good. Normally with a tasting menu you have a couple of dishes that you think were stand-outs. I'd happily order six out of the seven as full courses, they were very impressive.

Definite return next time I'm in Leeds and would heartily recommend it. As stated, the food was good, the service was very pleasant, the ambience was great and the cost was definitely value for money.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Held a private dinner for our Silver Wedding Anniversary in La Piazza on Saturday evening. Absolutely outstanding from start to finish, 16 of us in their private dining room.

Beirut restaurant in Nicholson Street Squsre. Lebanese food and BYOB excellent!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Cannae remember if I already posted it on here, but I went to Reekies Smokehouse on Holyrood Road at the end of August.

It was excellent. I had the beef brisket, pork shoulder and ribs. With chips, pickles and BBQ beans.

http://www.reekiessmokehouse.co.uk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    El Cartel on Thistle Street. Possibly the best tacos I've ever had.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Went to the Ivy in Edinburgh on Sunday and really can't fault it. I've had better food elsewhere but the overall service, ambiance and experience I'm going to find pretty hard to beat.

I'm not sure what the dinner menu is like but for a bit of brunch it's absolutely exquisite but without the extortionate prices.

2 courses for two people and a couple of drinks was just shy of £100 but could easily do it for £30 which is on par with many other places for brunch.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    We were in El Cartel a couple of weeks ago and the food was fantastic - fresh, hot and not waiting forever. Makes it easier when you order just whatever dishes you want, then get more after if you're still a bit hungry.

Busy - and you can't book - but we only had a 20 minute wait which was more than enough for a quick pint across the road in Bon Vivant.

Would've only paid about £35 for the 2 of us if it was food only...but the beers and the margueritas got the better of us!!

I was back up in Inverness earlier in the week and ate out twice.

First up, was Cafe One, just by the castle, less than ten minutes walk from the city centre.

Despite being into October, the restaurant was absolutely packed. Must be around seventy covers and the tables were constantly being refreshed. Real mixture of locals and tourists.

The food was exceptional - for starters we had tempura king prawns and scallops. The scallops were cooked perfectly and came wrapped in pancetta, sitting on black pudding, potato rosti and a pea puree. It was delicious but maybe didn't need the rosti (though it was sliced exquisitely thin and was lovely)

For mains we had salmon with prawns, avocado and mango. Salmon was seared very well and a delight to eat. We also had monkfish in a tempura batter which was fresh and light. The highlight was the fries however - they were dry and crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, just how you would want fries, but were infused with a mild curry flavour. Absolutely delicious and I couldn't figure out quite how they did it. I asked the owner but he was guarded in his reply! Silly as it sounds, they were genuinely worth going back for in their own right!

I would recommend Cafe One as a good night out and will certainly return, next time I'm in Inverness. The service was attentive and friendly, despite it being incredibly busy. It's a short walk from the centre and the prices are reasonable, certainly no more than Edinburgh and in fairness, they matched the quality of the dishes.

Second dinner was at Rocpool. As per last time, it was fully-booked so reservations would appear to be essential. Decent wine list, by the bottle and the glass. For starters we had a crab and seafood broth which was simply outstanding, and scallops again. The broth was deliciously rich and packed full of well-prepared seafood. The scallops were accompanied with mini chorizo, possibly slightly too much but tasty nonetheless!

Mains were a seafood linguine and the venison. As per the starter, the linguine was heavy with protein, lots of seafood sitting in a delicious sauce. The venison was delicately tender and absolutely delicious. It sat on a parsnip puree and a black pudding base, with roasted potatoes.

Overall, the dishes were really well-balanced, well-flavoured and expertly cooked. Absolute pleasure to eat.

As I think I posted last time I was at Rocpool, we had the cheese board. Unusually, it is entirely made up of ewes' milk cheese, although they stick to the standard hard- soft -blue formula. I love sheep milk cheese so it was great for me.

Rocpool is very central, the food is very, very good and the prices aren't anything beyond what one would pay in Edinburgh. I would recommend it without a shadow of a doubt, though pre-booking is probably critical for most months of the year.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Would agree about Rocpool was a real highlight last time I was up there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"