hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can’t for the life of me think where they are, I’ve been in there loads and never noticed them.
    They definitely have TVs as we went there for for Scotland v England game at Wembley a year or so back, didn’t put the sound on though so we left.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    They definitely have TVs as we went there for for Scotland v England game at Wembley a year or so back, didn’t put the sound on though so we left.
    I’ll need to keep that in mind in future then!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Tried Miller and Carter tonight for the first time as had heard some good feedback from various people. Wished I hadn’t bothered to honest, tough under seasoned steak, greasy onion loaf, crap chips and a lettuce wedge. The food certainly didn’t live up to our expectations and the service was appalling, obviously caught out by the Wednesday night rush. At £97 for three of us I have had far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Tried Miller and Carter tonight for the first time as had heard some good feedback from various people. Wished I hadn’t bothered to honest, tough under seasoned steak, greasy onion loaf, crap chips and a lettuce wedge. The food certainly didn’t live up to our expectations and the service was appalling, obviously caught out by the Wednesday night rush. At £97 for three of us I have had far better.
    I’ve always thought Miller & Carter was surprisingly decent. Went to Hawksmoor the other day which was very good. Been before in London but the Edinburgh one was better.

I’ve always thought Miller & Carter was surprisingly decent. Went to Hawksmoor the other day which was very good. Been before in London but the Edinburgh one was better.
    I went to the Hawksmoor tonight and thought it was very disappointing. The food was fairly good, but nothing special and zero value for money. It's the first of these London chains in the area I've went to and will definitely be the last. The house lager was very good though, and the highlight of the visit.
    Last edited by adhibs; 30-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Couple of visits to ‘chain’ restaurants.

Cafe Andaluz - one on George IV bridge, was superb excellent food and very cheap using the fixed price menu they have a chorizo and black pudding dish which is sublime.

Côte Brasserie - Pretty good had a steak which was done a bit too rare for me,lovely desserts and excellent staff.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Couple of visits to ‘chain’ restaurants.

Cafe Andaluz - one on George IV bridge, was superb excellent food and very cheap using the fixed price menu they have a chorizo and black pudding dish which is sublime.

Côte Brasserie - Pretty good had a steak which was done a bit too rare for me,lovely desserts and excellent staff.
    Used to like Cafe Andaluz but the one on George Street has been murder the last two times I’ve been. Will maybe give the other one a go.

Used to like Cafe Andaluz but the one on George Street has been murder the last two times I’ve been. Will maybe give the other one a go.

Yeah it's much better I think.

Was at the Black pig and Oyster on Thursday night. £35 per couple for 8 tapas dishes and a bottle of wine, an absolute steal. The food is stunning.

Visited cafe dominicos a couple of weeks ago, had a great steak and the missus had a superb tuna steak.

Had a chilli dog at teuchters landing in Leith 3 weeks ago, which was very disappointing. Nice beer garden though.

Finally, was at the auld hundred last week and had their Rob Roy burger which was lovely

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    The Shore Restaurant at the Double Tree in North Queensferry is definitely worth a wee journey.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Any suggestions for a ‘cheap’ and cheerful meal in Leith next Saturday night?

By cheap I’m not talking about Wetherspoons cheap but nothing fancy. Think I prefer down the shore but can’t think of anywhere I really want to go so might venture up to Leith walk instead.

Open to suggestion regarding the type of food but definitely not Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

By cheap I’m not talking about Wetherspoons cheap but nothing fancy. Think I prefer down the shore but can’t think of anywhere I really want to go so might venture up to Leith walk instead.

Vittorias. If you have a season ticket show it for a decent discount. Good food and service as well.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

Heard good things about Tapa in Leith

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Heard good things about Tapa in Leith
    Used to go there all the time but I’m in the huff with them now.

I’m a simple man with simple taste buds 😊, they used to do a brilliant deal that was 4 tapas and a bottle of wine for £25 but they decided to change their menu to lots of stuff that I’m sure is great for a foodie but a bit fancy for me, they’ve also put their prices up loads as well.

Vittorias is a really good shout as well though.

I see Serrano & Manchego has shut it’s doors for good on Leith Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I see Serrano & Manchego has shut it’s doors for good on Leith Walk.
    Was gutted about that, one of these places I’d been planning to go to but never got round to and would almost definitely have been my venue on Saturday.

Probably only have myself to blame to be fair as it was open for about 2 years but still annoying!

I always found Serrano & Manchego a strange one. It’s owned by the same people that have The Shack and El Barrio so it was quite a different venture for them to try. It will be interesting to see if there’s any reason comes out for them closing.

I was only in once and it was decent enough without really tempting me to go back.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Was gutted about that, one of these places I’d been planning to go to but never got round to and would almost definitely have been my venue on Saturday.

Probably only have myself to blame to be fair as it was open for about 2 years but still annoying!
    It was open for nearly four years, owner blamed spiralling costs and difficulty with labour prefers to concentrate on his core business’s of night clubs apparently. Hopefully the space will be taken by another food outlet.

Leith depots pretty decent for food at reasonable prices. Compass for something slightly more formal and expensive. East pizza is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Leith depots pretty decent for food at reasonable prices. Compass for something slightly more formal and expensive. East pizza is really good too.
    Cheers.

Decided to give the barologist a go. I used to really like it for food when it was the cameo, nothing fancy but decent value pub grub so will be interesting to see how it compares.

Cant say I’m particularly excited about going there for a drink to be fair as the whole theme looks a bit ridiculous to me but worth trying I suppose.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I went to Miros Cantina Mexicana over the weekend - the Mexican on Rose Street - which I'd been looking forward to for a while as I'd heard it was great Mexican food. I think I maybe got the places mixed up though as I thought it was fairly poor.

Admitedly it was lunch time when I went so maybe dinner is a different experience. The decor was nice and the staff were welcoming and friendly.

We started off sharing some guacamole with chips - the guacamole was poor in comparison to other place or what I can make at home, and at £6.50 was a rip off. My main of mixed meat and seafood paella was strangely saucy (maybe just how Mexican's do their paella?) with a weird taste throughout it. Others had the taco and enchilada options - both looked decent/better choices. Also spied some nachos on our way out that looked very nice, so I maybe ordered poorly.

I had thought this was the highly rated Mexican prior to visitng - but I'm now assuming that's a different place (I've Googled now - and I'm maybe thinking of El Cartel on Thistle Street)
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Can't be arsed reading through 860 replies so apologies if it's been mentioned...Rhubarb restaurant in Prestonfield house. The best eating out experience I've had in Edinburgh. Absolutely beautiful rooms to have pre dinner drinks, your meal, then relax with a drink upstairs. Pretty expensive but if you want to impress your companion of choice it's a guaranteed leg opener

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I like the area, but not the amount of dogs - especially in a dark bar, what's the point in that? Go take it for a walk or something.

One for the pet peeves thread, but when owners just let their dogs walk around and go up to other people then accompanying it with some guff like "He likes you" or "he won't bite".
    Used to play darts in the Rag Doll in another life, then a Chinese in the Ping On (just to stay on thread)

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I went to Miros Cantina Mexicana over the weekend - the Mexican on Rose Street - which I'd been looking forward to for a while as I'd heard it was great Mexican food. I think I maybe got the places mixed up though as I thought it was fairly poor.

Admitedly it was lunch time when I went so maybe dinner is a different experience. The decor was nice and the staff were welcoming and friendly.

We started off sharing some guacamole with chips - the guacamole was poor in comparison to other place or what I can make at home, and at £6.50 was a rip off. My main of mixed meat and seafood paella was strangely saucy (maybe just how Mexican's do their paella?) with a weird taste throughout it. Others had the taco and enchilada options - both looked decent/better choices. Also spied some nachos on our way out that looked very nice, so I maybe ordered poorly.

I had thought this was the highly rated Mexican prior to visitng - but I'm now assuming that's a different place (I've Googled now - and I'm maybe thinking of El Cartel on Thistle Street)
    As I was reading your post I was thinking you might have went to the wrong one,,,, then I read your last line!
    El Cartel is a cracking little Mexican, be prepared to wait for a table or leave your name/number then head around to the Queen's Arms for a drink whilst you wait.
    I was there on Saturday afternoon, the Baja cod taco is outstanding along with the shredded chicken dish that was on the specials,,,, washed down with frozen mango margarita and a couple of VERY nice añejo tequilas (their tequila list is extensive).

Well worth a visit!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Anyone tried Six By Nico?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Anyone tried Six By Nico?
    yes. but not sure if i'd recommend it.

Food is good, price is good, but you're in and out pretty quickly.

That coupled with the loud music means its not a relaxing (or particularly enjoyable) experience (for me anyway).

Would go back, but wouldnt rush

yep. El Cartel is pretty awesome. Recently opened a new one up at Teviot as well

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Had anyone been to or heard of Carnivore at the bottom of Blair St/Cowgate?
    Not sure when it popped up but it's marketing itself as a meat & bourbon bar, sounds right up my street but worried it might just another hipster venture that looks good from the outside but no substance within!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    As I was reading your post I was thinking you might have went to the wrong one,,,, then I read your last line!
    El Cartel is a cracking little Mexican, be prepared to wait for a table or leave your name/number then head around to the Queen's Arms for a drink whilst you wait.
    I was there on Saturday afternoon, the Baja cod taco is outstanding along with the shredded chicken dish that was on the specials,,,, washed down with frozen mango margarita and a couple of VERY nice añejo tequilas (their tequila list is extensive).

Well worth a visit!
    What a mare!

I'll need to get that rectified. Thanks
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

Well worth a visit!
    Wish I’d had the chicken dish. Go to El Cartel regularly and my only complaint would be that there’s no chicken tacos on the normal menu. The cod, duck and pork tacos are all superb.