hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 850

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790

    Recent Restaurant Visits Reviews

    Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
    Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

    Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

    Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?

  2. #2
    I had Sunday lunch in the Antiquary on St Stephens Street a few weeks back.

    Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

    Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  3. #3
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had Sunday lunch in the Antiquary on St Stephens Street a few weeks back.

    Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

    Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.
    An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!

  4. #4
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    25,563
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!
    Is this the one you go downstairs too?

  5. #5
    Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Father Noel Furlong
    Posts
    9,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had Sunday lunch in the Antiquary on St Stephens Street a few weeks back.

    Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

    Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.
    Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

    Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

    The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

    Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


  6. #6
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

    Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

    The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

    Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.
    Never heard of that before!

    Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

    Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced

    Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

    Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  7. #7
    Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Father Noel Furlong
    Posts
    9,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never heard of that before!

    Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

    Who does this? I certainly don't know of any restaurants that have this on their menu.

    Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced.

    Not quite water with oil as the water has absorbed into the flour and the chicken has been removed and separated from the oil.

    Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

    See above

    Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.
    The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

    Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


  8. #8
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

    Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL
    Think you're splitting hairs to be honest with regards to chips being cooked in oil and then removed and served with gravy that is water based! No different to a couple of my examples where cooked in oil/water and removed. Yes potato will of course absorb some of the oil but that's it. In general your water and oil doesn't mix of course is correct but chips and gravy as an example of that is just daft.

    And you've never heard of roast potatoes being drizzled with oil while they're cooking!

  9. #9
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790
    Also recently dined in:

    Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
    Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
    Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
    Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
    La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
    Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
    Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  10. #10
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    25,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also recently dined in:

    Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
    Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
    Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
    Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
    La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
    Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
    Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10
    Love Miro's when I can get a table
    Also use Peach Garden for my Chinese take away, and very rarely disappointed, although it's changed hands a few times recently

  11. #11
    Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10

  12. #12
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10
    Not sure if he's still there but the chef is a good Hibby :-)

    Been a few times never disappointed.

    I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.
    Space to let

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if he's still there but the chef is a good Hibby :-)

    Been a few times never disappointed.

    I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.
    To be honest Jack I didn't see much after sinking a keg load of the superb London Stout 😃 we were planning to visit the Mash Tun for my birthday last year but illness put paid to that, will def pay it a visit at some point 👍

  14. #14
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if he's still there but the chef is a good Hibby :-)

    Been a few times never disappointed.

    I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.
    The Mash Tun is a great pub IMHO. Nice vibe and cracking food - there is usually an offer on the food as well (i.e. 241 pizzas, curry Tuesdays, steak Wednesdays etc).

  15. #15
    @hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My Bit
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
    Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

    Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

    Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?
    I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.

  16. #16
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,144
    Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

    Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.

  17. #17
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

    Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?

  18. #18
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,421
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?
    I've got friends who have, and I've only heard good things about it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?
    I was there last week and would give it 8/10. Similar to earlier reply I've yet to hear any negative comments about the place.

  20. #20
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the Hills
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?
    Been for a lunch there which was very good. Good choice though I can't remember what I had!

  21. #21
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the Hills
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,420
    For Italians always find Mama Roma opposite the playhouse a safe bet. Only problem is no draft beer only bottles.

    If you are looking for something outside the town

    For Indians there are 2 in Dalkeith - Itihaas and Bombay Lounge (Bobby Smith's old pub) which are both excellent.

    Quite like the Mercat out in Whitecraig. Limited menu but food always good and they run a minibus for groups. Think you have to pre-book it though.

    Sun Inn at Newtongrange is always good and you will soon be able to get the train out!

    Like others have found it difficult to find a decent Chinese.

  22. #22
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,421
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.
    Ben Williams? Sure he didn't just drop it down the drain by mistake?

  23. #23
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.
    It has PASS certificate for food hygiene however this was issued following their inspection in September 2011.
    The drains thing can happen inadvertantly with food waste, most places either have grease traps or a dosing system that prevents build up, a problem doesn't necessary mean anything sinister though.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  24. #24
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,692
    If anyone is walking up the River Almond from Cramond I can heartily recommend avoiding the cafe at the waterfall.

    You should have seen the guys face in front of me when he was charged over £25 for what was essentially 3 snacks and coffees. He wasn't any happier when the small unappealing snacks arrived!

    My coffee was a bit pealy wally. If I'd been in Starbucks I'd have taken it back asking if it was proper strength and why's it only half full!
    Space to let

  25. #25
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,121
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anyone is walking up the River Almond from Cramond I can heartily recommend avoiding the cafe at the waterfall.

    You should have seen the guys face in front of me when he was charged over £25 for what was essentially 3 snacks and coffees. He wasn't any happier when the small unappealing snacks arrived!

    My coffee was a bit pealy wally. If I'd been in Starbucks I'd have taken it back asking if it was proper strength and why's it only half full!
    Lovely wee setting though. Was chatting away to the owner and she is opening up a full rooftop restaurant next year, prices though as you say maybe interesting to say the least

    Personally I think she isn't the full shilling.

  26. #26
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,790
    Burger Meets Bun - not impressed 5\10
    The Riparian Rooms - Decent enough 7\10
    La Tasca - really enjoyed it,nice change 8\10
    Locanda De Gusti........next has great reviews hope it lives up to them.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  27. #27
    Testimonial Due Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burger Meets Bun - not impressed 5\10
    The Riparian Rooms - Decent enough 7\10
    La Tasca - really enjoyed it,nice change 8\10
    Locanda De Gusti........next has great reviews hope it lives up to them.
    Locanda De Gusti is fantastic, was there last month and was amazing. The food, the staff all made a proper Naples experience. 10/10 from me

  28. #28
    What about oven chips n gravy?

  29. #29
    Visited Las Iguanas on George Street at the weekend. Very nice food, excellent service and very good value. Would recommend.

  30. #30
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,692
    I went to Nawroz, Middle Eastern Restaurant up at Potterrow, the other night for my tea, we had a voucher. At £29 a very expensive voucher!

    I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, with nearly everything there was something wrong, a wee niggle, which individually wouldn't have mattered but together means I'll not be back.
    Space to let

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved