hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good game in a blue moon. End up at Partick or Weedgie area.
    Good games all last season, probably our most consistent midfield player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Agreed The frustrating thing just now is that I've no doubt in my mind that we would easily competing top 4 in SPL.

If you think of the players/set-up we have in the Championship then imagine what we will be like in the SPL.

Good things come to those who wait. For me, we are simply re-grouping. In the medium - long term, we will benefit from this stage in our history
    Absolutely no danger we'd be top 4! We couldn't even beat a horrible rangers team over 2 legs

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Not a chance. We're not near that level yet. We'd be a bottom six team and would need a good 7-8 players to make a play for top six.
    With greatest respect I gave to disagree. Dundee did pretty well with a whole load of players plenty on this message board deemed not good enough and, IMHO, aren't as good as the players we replaced them with.

Obviously all players in our team, or any other team, are replaceable if a better option becomes available, however I'd think our current first eleven would finish 5/6th in the league and we are only 3/4 squad players short. Need to get to that league first.
    Last edited by ian cruise; 04-07-2015 at 09:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Been offered to Dundee Utd in part-exchange for Ciftci apparently
    £1.25 million and Dylan on loan

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If I were Utd I'd say £1.1 and McGeoch permanent and it's a deal. He'd have no problem playing in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    If I were Utd I'd say £1.1 and McGeoch permanent and it's a deal. He'd have no problem playing in the top flight.
    £150,000 is quite a high fee for Dundee Utd to be paying for mcgeogh. That money would pay the wages of a decent player for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Agreed The frustrating thing just now is that I've no doubt in my mind that we would easily competing top 4 in SPL.

If you think of the players/set-up we have in the Championship then imagine what we will be like in the SPL.

Good things come to those who wait. For me, we are simply re-grouping. In the medium - long term, we will benefit from this stage in our history
    Hibs are nowhere near a position to compete "easily" with Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United etc. What evidence is there of this?

Hibs drew with Dundee Utd in a cup tie at home last season and were unlucky to lose on penalties. That's about it. To compete at that higher level, all season, in the top four will require a further step-up for this club. Hibs need to concentrate and focus on getting out of the league they are in, first and foremost.

The squad would then need to be much further strengthened to be a top four club IMO.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Hibs are nowhere near a position to compete "easily" with Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United etc. What evidence is there of this?

Hibs drew with Dundee Utd in a cup tie at home last season and were unlucky to lose on penalties. That's about it. To compete at that higher level, all season, in the top four will require a further step-up for this club. Hibs need to concentrate and focus on getting out of the league they are in, first and foremost.

The squad would then need to be much further strengthened to be a top four club IMO.
    Ross County and hertz

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar

The top flights full of fodder and I agree that the Hibees could cope easily in the league above and put trash like Aberdeen to bed. The entire top flight is packed with teams that are total garbage minus Celtic who are also much weaker these days opposed to the Martin O'neils Celtic sides.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadGrandpa View Post
    The top flights full of fodder and I agree that the Hibees could cope easily in the league above and put trash like Aberdeen to bed. The entire top flight is packed with teams that are total garbage minus Celtic who are also much weaker these days opposed to the Martin O'neils Celtic sides.
    Bizzare assumption seeing as we couldn't even make it to the top flight and the bottom team in that league humped Rangers. A reality check is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Bizzare assumption seeing as we couldn't even make it to the top flight and the bottom team in that league humped Rangers. A reality check is required.
    Have to agree, although I like the look of our squad I think we're all prone to overhyping our own team. Whilst I think our current team would comfortably survive in the premier I'm not convinced we'd be top 6.

Blog Entries
    The Well- Sevco game was a one off, which I greatly enjoyed. Well got more good fortune in those 2 games than we had all season. You could also look at the Cup Final where the 3rd team in top div very fortunately beat the 4th team in 2nd tier. If Sevco had made it to top Div they would now be 2nd favs to win it. Do you really think we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ross C, Partick, Hamilton, Killie & Dundee? IMO that's bizarre.

Totally disagree with you. Our teams good and I hope people turn out next season to enjoy watching us win the championship

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The Well- Sevco game was a one off, which I greatly enjoyed. Well got more good fortune in those 2 games than we had all season. You could also look at the Cup Final where the 3rd team in top div very fortunately beat the 4th team in 2nd tier. If Sevco had made it to top Div they would now be 2nd favs to win it. Do you really think we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ross C, Partick, Hamilton, Killie & Dundee? IMO that's bizarre.
    Ross county have been above us for 5 years now :-(
    I do agree we are (and bloody well should be) better than most of the bottom 6 but we have to prove it by getting out this league.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    A one off over two games!

Totally disagree with you. Our teams good and I hope people turn out next season to enjoy watching us win the championship
    Which is a totally different point to the one you made and which I responded to.

Which is a totally different point to the one you made and which I responded to.
    Please do explain more on this?

Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    Ross County and hertz
    The last time I looked Ross County weren't a top four side, and the Yams were in the Championship, not top four SPFL. My post was questioning the suggestion Hibs could compete "easily" in the top four of SPFL.

The bits in bold. Seriously? Would that be "fodder" and "total garbage" like some of the part time clubs in the Championship? I doubt it.

Presumably you must have watched Aberdeen last season who finished runners up in the SPFL, and won the League Cup in 2014. If Hibs had done the same, would you consider that to be "trash" too?

Have to agree, although I like the look of our squad I think we're all prone to overhyping our own team. Whilst I think our current team would comfortably survive in the premier I'm not convinced we'd be top 6.
    I think this view is a bit more realistic. At the moment, Hibs squad has only one goalkeeper FFS, and looks very short in midfield too (which I'm sure the club is trying to address).

Hibs could, on their day, and given a couple of good signings, probably beat most of the bottom six clubs in SPFL on a one-off basis. But winning very regularly, week after week, which is what would be required to get a top four place in the SPFL, would be asking a lot of the current squad.

This is based on what I've seen of teams in the Championship last season, compared to most of those in the SPFL.

The last time I looked Ross County weren't a top four side, and the Yams were in the Championship, not top four SPFL. My post was questioning the suggestion Hibs could compete "easily" in the top four of SPFL.

The bits in bold. Seriously? Would that be "fodder" and "total garbage" like some of the part time clubs in the Championship? I doubt it.

Presumably you must have watched Aberdeen last season who finished runners up in the SPFL, and won the League Cup in 2014. If Hibs had done the same, would you consider that to be "trash" too?

I think this view is a bit more realistic. At the moment, Hibs squad has only one goalkeeper FFS, and looks very short in midfield too (which I'm sure the club is trying to address).

Hibs could, on their day, and given a couple of good signings, probably beat most of the bottom six clubs in SPFL on a one-off basis. But winning very regularly, week after week, which is what would be required to get a top four place in the SPFL, would be asking a lot of the current squad.

This is based on what I've seen of teams in the Championship last season, compared to most of those in the SPFL.

Yup watched them enough to know that the only reason they are doing well is because that league is full of crap teams. Scottish football is not a pretty place right now and we should fear no team at all strange things have happened lately so don't rule us out our side is good and we should be proud of the club.

Blog Entries
    A one off over two games!
    It was still a one-off tie. My point is you can't prove anything by referring to one on one games. Based on our record vs Yams last season we should have been neck & neck with them at the top. Based on our record vs Falkirk they should have finished above us. The Well/ Sevco tie was a very enjoyable freak result.

Yup watched them enough to know that the only reason they are doing well is because that league is full of crap teams. Scottish football is not a pretty place right now and we should fear no team at all strange things have happened lately so don't rule us out our side is good and we should be proud of the club.
    You didn't really answer the points I made. If the SPFL is full of crap teams, are they better or worse than those in the Championship, particularly the part-time clubs in the Championship?

If Hibs were runners up in the SPFL last season, and won the League Cup the season before, would Hibs be "trash" too, like Aberdeen? I'm not trying to "big up" Aberdeen BTW - a club I have no time for putting it mildly.

What are you referring to when you say "strange things have happened lately"?

I'm not ruling Hibs out of anything. I'm just of the opinion that talking about Hibs competing "easily" in the top 4 in the SPFL is nonsense when Hibs, as a club, are currently languishing in the Championship for a second consecutive season.

My post has nothing to do with pride in the club. Something I've been proud to do most of my life.

EDIT: For SPFL please read Premiership.
    Last edited by emerald green; 04-07-2015 at 08:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    I wish people would stop mixing up the Premiership with the SPFL. We are all the SPFL.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    I wish people would stop mixing up the Premiership with the SPFL. We are all the SPFL.
    Oops my mistake. Must do better.

Oops my mistake. Must do better.
    No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 😀

No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 
    None taken. I know where you're coming from. Schoolboy error.

We've been piss-poor for at least five years, so on level we've no right to take the moral high ground.

But we are Hibs and this is football, so we have every right to disdain the toytown clubs of Scottish football (all of them bar us) and call them out for the cheats, chislers, copy cats, glory hunters and minnows that they are.

I disagree with you. we ,even at this stage would be well capable to survive in the Premier League. we were a couple of goals away from being the challengers to Motherwell, although they pumped The Rangers, a team that held on for grim death against us at ER, to go into the final. If we had got back this season,the bigger attendances home and away would have helped our team big style. we will be there at the death, this coming season , and if we do up I expect us to do well. that gorgie mob will probably surprise a few, and I expect them to be near the top end. they have a resilient support, which does help, and if we go up I'd expect our fan base to help in the same way. we wont have another Terry Butcher in the coming years, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    We've been piss-poor for at least five years, so on level we've no right to take the moral high ground.

But we are Hibs and this is football, so we have every right to disdain the toytown clubs of Scottish football (all of them bar us) and call them out for the cheats, chislers, copy cats, glory hunters and minnows that they are.
    truer words never spoken Bob.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 😀
    It is a daft pet hate. The rebranding is catastrophically bad. SPFL means nothing to anybody, the top league is effectively nameless, the 'Championship' is a joke (champion of what - the 2nd tier of the Scottish League) and no substantive progress has been made at all.

Direct your anger at the f***wits who agreed to this rebrand instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    It is a daft pet hate. The rebranding is catastrophically bad. SPFL means nothing to anybody, the top league is effectively nameless, the 'Championship' is a joke (champion of what - the 2nd tier of the Scottish League) and no substantive progress has been made at all.

Direct your anger at the f***wits who agreed to this rebrand instead.
    Who said I was angry? It's a pet hate because it is a wrong statement irrespective of whether anyone thinks it's right or not.