hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wummin's footie

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those women would happily kick you up and down that full size pitch all day long.
    Hope Solo certainly would.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Womens football is just pish.

Plus, has anyone stopped for a minute to think about their husbands who have been living off takeaway's since they have been at this tournament?

I might let her if we can make up after!

This would have been some goal tonight...great stuff. https://vine.co/v/eJOYqev3Y1g

Coaching Staff
    I might let her if we can make up after!

This would have been some goal tonight...great stuff. https://vine.co/v/eJOYqev3Y1g
    A great move, and unfortunately the Japanese World Champions were simply too good for the Australian Matildas this morning, beating them 1-0.

In truth the japan were technically a notch ahead of their very courageous Aussie rivals, who spent a fair bit if the match chasing the ball.

Locally the Aussie girls are being hailed for their efforts and rightfully so, and unlike some of the comments on this board their feat is being reasonably analysed.

Yes it is agreed, most people will prefer to watch men,s football - they are not in competition, and the TV market place will obviously decide that male salaries will always be higher than their female compatriots.

The biggest plus is seen as being at grass roots level...and any fathers of daughters may Appreciate.....that the team's performance will now give added encouragement for young girls to take up sport and seek to emulate their new heroes in an environment they are comfortable competing in.

Sport infrastructure and competition historically has been designed by men, and that such achievements by women give them a further springboard and confidence.

So if you don't like I women's football that is fine, but more power to the girls who want to play.....they should be encouraged to do so.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    anyone that says they don't like women's tennis obviously hasn't been watching many Maria Sharapova games...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    anyone that says they don't like women's tennis obviously hasn't been watching many Maria Sharapova games...
    Forget her, go for an adventure. I would have tackled that Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. I'm sure she could have smashed my skull with her thighs but holy crap what a night that would been.....

Talking

Can't believe I'm watching wimmens fitba.

2-0 for England. 13 minutes gone.

Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

.....Maybe something to consider before folk jump to dismiss the sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Wummin, Wimmin ? Get a grip eh !

Went down to the boozer here to watch Canada England. Was a decent crowd and noise for it. Canada were the better team I thought but didn't test English keepers at all enough. Sadly, all goals were down to errors made by defence and goals and that's what makes it look bad.

Before England scored there was a brilliant move started by a great tackle in her own box from Schmit of Canada and then a move involving a couple of nutmegs and great cross ball. Striker lacked composure and Van Vossened it.

Good, enjoyable game but sadly still lived up to some of the stereotypes of the game.

I think we just need to get over them in order to enjoy women's football more but it's frustrating and you'd think coachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

.....Maybe something to consider before folk jump to dismiss the sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Good post.......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The overhyping of Ingurlund is doing my head in. Getting to the semis is a great achievement 😩 but comparing it to 1966 and 1990 is daft. ABE!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hope Solo certainly would.
    Any time she likes, I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    Went down to the boozer here to watch Canada England. Was a decent crowd and noise for it. Canada were the better team I thought but didn't test English keepers at all enough. Sadly, all goals were down to errors made by defence and goals and that's what makes it look bad.

Before England scored there was a brilliant move started by a great tackle in her own box from Schmit of Canada and then a move involving a couple of nutmegs and great cross ball. Striker lacked composure and Van Vossened it.

Good, enjoyable game but sadly still lived up to some of the stereotypes of the game.

I think we just need to get over them in order to enjoy women's football more but it's frustrating and you'd think coachable.
    What stereotypes do you mean?

Regarding women's goalkeepers - those in the women's game know it's an area to improve and they have some great coaches trying to work on keepers.

As Hibs fans can we really criticise goalkeepers? We have had some absolutely muppets in goals for years..and getting paid good money !!

Don't get me started on keepers like Robert Green who have struggled for England on more money that Hibs keepers.

It's easy to pick holes if you want to talk something down.

Coaching Staff
    Well done England 2 - 1 and into semi finals, can see them winning this.

Coaching Staff
    There's a wee bit too much defensive sensitivity around this. Some of you trying to stand up for the game are doing it s disservice by not accepting criticism of it or telling people not to comment on it.

If it's a real sport, which it is, then it is there for everyone to comment on, good or bad, without falling to the level of accusing people of sexism or close mindedness.

I hate rugby, and in any conversation about it I will tell you why.

Cricket is the same. If people don't like women's football then well and good. Don't patronise the people who take part or enjoy it by being so defensive about it and dismissive of real reasons some people might not enjoy it.

Being a fan of the male version doesn't mean we should inherently like or be interested in other forms of it and I resent any suggestion that people should need to justify that to any extent.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    It's ***** as far as I'm concerned. I've heard folk say you shouldn't compare it to the mans game, which of course you should, it's the same game just played much worse.

I read something from one of the England players, Aluko maybe, saying just that, don't compare it to men's football, it's different. Now this morning the manager guy is comparing what they've achieved to England men getting to the World Cup semis in '66 and '90. Nah mate, it's more the equivalent of me winning my pitz league in 1998.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    There's a wee bit too much defensive sensitivity around this. Some of you trying to stand up for the game are doing it s disservice by not accepting criticism of it or telling people not to comment on it.

If it's a real sport, which it is, then it is there for everyone to comment on, good or bad, without falling to the level of accusing people of sexism or close mindedness.

I hate rugby, and in any conversation about it I will tell you why.

Cricket is the same. If people don't like women's football then well and good. Don't patronise the people who take part or enjoy it by being so defensive about it and dismissive of real reasons some people might not enjoy it.

Being a fan of the male version doesn't mean we should inherently like or be interested in other forms of it and I resent any suggestion that people should need to justify that to any extent.
    Can't say I'vd seen too much defensive sensitivity in the posts I've read, most merely pointing out the differences in the two games.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's ***** as far as I'm concerned. I've heard folk say you shouldn't compare it to the mans game, which of course you should, it's the same game just played much worse.

I read something from one of the England players, Aluko maybe, saying just that, don't compare it to men's football, it's different. Now this morning the manager guy is comparing what they've achieved to England men getting to the World Cup semis in '66 and '90. Nah mate, it's more the equivalent of me winning my pitz league in 1998.
    There's a difference between comparing the male and female forms of the actual game and the achievements of getting through to the semis of a World Cup. The England women's achievement here is every bit as good as that of the men in 1990 and probably greater than that of 1966.

And I think you can rest assured the achievement's a far greater one than you winning your Pitz league in 1998.......

So reaching the semi finals of the biggest international tournament in the professional game is the equivalent of winning the Pitz league?

I rest my case about small minded attitudes.

I've no issue with genuine criticisms of the women's game, they are both needed to help continue improvement and development and often worthwhile observations but stuff like the above is just utter nonsense.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Small minded attitudes. Load of pish.

There's loads of things I don't like watching, cos they're not at all entertaining. Women's football. Women's darts. TOWIE. Songs of Praise. Hearts football style. Badminton.

And I've played with plenty players at the Pitz who are far better than any the women at that World Cup.

I play amateur football, if folk don't want to watch it, or want to call it a **** standard, then feel free. I'll no be looking to defend it by saying you shouldn't compare it to the pro game and you should judge it on its own merits.

There's loads of things I don't like watching, cos they're not at all entertaining. Women's football. Women's darts. TOWIE. Songs of Praise. Hearts football style. Badminton.

And I've played with plenty players at the Pitz who are far better than any the women at that World Cup.

I play amateur football, if folk don't want to watch it, or want to call it a **** standard, then feel free. I'll no be looking to defend it by saying you shouldn't compare it to the pro game and you should judge it on its own merits.
    Most definitely a small minded attitude.

If you don't enjoy something then fine but I don't see the need for the sneering dismissal of what is a fine achievement by England.

And of course you can't compare amateur football to professional football, male or female. I played with some superb players at amateur and East of Scotland level but every single one of them is utter Pish compared to the EPL, doesn't take away from the fact at their level they were good players. Likewise I played Sunday amateur in my last season in football, the best players in that league were poor compared to EoS standard, still doesn't take away from the fact they were good players at their level. I wouldn't want to watch that level of football, I have little interest in it but I wouldn't belittle their achievements if they won a league or progressed through a cup competition, it's still an achievement regardless of the level.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Most definitely a small minded attitude.

If you don't enjoy something then fine but I don't see the need for the sneering dismissal of what is a fine achievement by England.

And of course you can't compare amateur football to professional football, male or female. I played with some superb players at amateur and East of Scotland level but every single one of them is utter Pish compared to the EPL, doesn't take away from the fact at their level they were good players. Likewise I played Sunday amateur in my last season in football, the best players in that league were poor compared to EoS standard, still doesn't take away from the fact they were good players at their level. I wouldn't want to watch that level of football, I have little interest in it but I wouldn't belittle their achievements if they won a league or progressed through a cup competition, it's still an achievement regardless of the level.

Get a game going with the winners of the womens world cup and your team and I bet they'd run rings you.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Get a game going with the winners of the womens world cup and your team and I bet they'd run rings you.
    I bet they wouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    Don't forget the Scottish womens team are higher ranked than the males also !
    What's your point?

Of course it's pish.....Bet some of these women's teams would give you a decent game.......

Haha. You've played with players at the Pitz that are better than any player at the WWC. Aye right.

Haha. You've played with players at the Pitz that are better than any player at the WWC. Aye right.
    This.........

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Of course it's pish.....Bet some of these women's teams would give you a decent game.......
    I know it's pish. That's kind of the whole point I was making.

And aye, they would give us a decent game. But that says it all really.