hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wummin's footie

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar

Wummin's footie

I know some folk don't rate Women's football but tonight Germany v France was one of the best football games I've seen in a very long time,
    skillful, intense, the donkey's bxllxcks. I'm sorry for anyone who thinks it's not proper footie, because they're wrong.
    Brilliaant advert for football, irrespecive of gender.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know some folk don't rate Women's football but tonight Germany v France was one of the best football games I've seen in a very long time,
    skillful, intense, the donkey's bxllxcks. I'm sorry for anyone who thinks it's not proper footie, because they're wrong.
    Yep, really enjoyed watching the game. France should have won but as ever, the Germans showed their resilience. So refreshing to see no play acting and cynical tackles. Total football.

@hibs.net private member
    Got no time for womens football - the defending and keeping is laughable, same to the finishing and first touches. Even their World Cup semi final had some laughable moments in it, Hibs would thrash those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt92 View Post
    Got no time for womens football - the defending and keeping is laughable, same to the finishing and first touches. Even their World Cup semi final had some laughable moments in it, Hibs would thrash those teams.
    Once you accept that it's played by individuals with different physical abilities than what you're used to then you begin to appreciate it.

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both.
    Last edited by Pete; 27-06-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Given that the quarter finals are on live as I type this, I think I'll discard your comments as some laughable moments having occurred in the semi finals, unless you can forward proof of your power to foresee the future.

Having said that, my view is that Yes, it is not men's football, but the ladies should not be denigrated in any way for what I have seen as being some skilful and committed performances.

It has certainly improved and it was immensely pleasing to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge wide simile on the face of Kyah Simon after she scored the winner for the Aussies against Brazil.

All we can ask anyone, irrespective of sex, is to their very best.

Go the Matilda's!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Once you accept that it's played by individuals with different physical abilities than what you're used to then you begin to appreciate it.

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both.
    Spot on.

They deserve the utmost praise and encouragement, rather than criticism.

I know the sacrifices that some of the Aussie team have made to follow their dream, and no doubt in many other countries it is the same.

Whether one chooses to watch it or not is up to the individual, but good luck to all of 'em, wherever the come from.

First Team Regular

women's tennis is terrible to watch as well.

First Team Regular

without trying to condescending to women, perhaps they should reduce the size of the goals (just as I hate seeing youth teams playing in full size goals with keepers little over 5 ft). Possibly reducing the pitch size too.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    without trying to condescending to women, perhaps they should reduce the size of the goals (just as I hate seeing youth teams playing in full size goals with keepers little over 5 ft). Possibly reducing the pitch size too.
    And in the example of tennis, why don't we reduce the size of the net?

And in golf, only have them play 14 holes instead of 18?

And instead of running in the 100 metres in the Olympics, make Their race only over 90 metres?

You might actually have a point there. Maybe reducing the size of the goals by a matter of inches and the pitch by a few feet would have a positive effect.

...or are we looking at this the wrong way round and do the women actually have it right? The size of the goal frame and pitch has remained constant for over 100 years while in that time the average male player is taller, faster and more agile.

Maybe the men's game should look at increasing goal size and pitch to make it more like the women's game which is perhaps more true to the original idea than what's evolved from the men's game.

Pretty sure I remember some laughable defending in the men's world cup semi final courtesy of Brazil...

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

And instead of running in the 100 metres in the Olympics, make Their race only over 90 metres?
    Women's tee's are further forward in golf

After watching last nights game, there are no doubt a lot very good players. but for some reason the games don't hold my attention the same way the mens game does. It might be down to the pace of the game or the more intense physical edge or maybe the lack of atmosphere at the games. Unfortunately i would still find more interest in watching Ross County playing Partick for example than watch the game last night. Sad but true.

In Tennis Grand Slam, mens matches are best of five and women's are best of three.

The Tee is further forward in women's games.

Given the above, I see no problem having slightly smaller goals for women. What's wrong with taking account of the fact that women are, on average, not as tall as men?

You ever watched some defenders and keepers in the Men's World Cup? Or the African nations cup?? It's pretty laughable as well...

The German Ladies team played a warm-up match against a (male) Bavarian village team. This is Amateurs mind, playing in a Sunday League in public parks in the mountains of Bavaria.

In a close fought and very competitively played match, the German Ladies team won 3-2. Germany had played their first choice eleven.

Take from that what you will.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

To be fair I'm not into women's tennis either.

The only woman's sports that I'm interested in are the Olympics. And really only because they add to the medals.

For me sport is the physical pinnacle of human endeavour. Women aren't up to that, physically. I get the dedication and effort, but it won't be the women's Olympics100m final that is my must watch event.

J
    Last edited by Bristolhibby; 27-06-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    To be fair I'm not into women's tennis either.

The only woman's sports that I'm interested in are the Olympics.

J

Beach Volleyball?

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Beach Volleyball?
    Yes, I admit, that is a sport where the women's event eclipses the men's. Sadly not for the level of play.

J

The German Ladies team played a warm-up match against a (male) Bavarian village team. This is Amateurs mind, playing in a Sunday League in public parks in the mountains of Bavaria.

In a close fought and very competitively played match, the German Ladies team won 3-2. Germany had played their first choice eleven.

Take from that what you will.
    Did the guys go in with full blown tackles though or did they just pull out in time?

I really enjoyed it. The sport has came on leaps and bounds. The point about women's golf BTW the proffesionals play off the back tees just like the men.
    On a tangent I also liked how the crowd were all seated to the front. Atmosphere was good and made a half empty stadium looked packed on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Did the guys go in with full blown tackles though or did they just pull out in time?

Bavaria is a Catholic region of Germany, so they believe in pulling out at the last moment.

Coaching Staff
    In Tennis Grand Slam, mens matches are best of five and women's are best of three.

The Tee is further forward in women's games.

Given the above, I see no problem having slightly smaller goals for women. What's wrong with taking account of the fact that women are, on average, not as tall as men?
    Nothing.

Conversely Lionel Messi is smaller than some women.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post

Purely from a football/entertainment point of view this game was a 10/10 job !
    It had everything skill, passion, drama, controversy ( even a bit of dodgy refereeing ) in abundance !!!!!
    Watched right to the last penalty
    Great entertainment !!

Its entertaining but the standard is poor, a decent mens sunday league side would beat these teams.
    If you love watching football at any level u16/21/ juniors whatever, then your more likely to appreciate it.

As for the tennis, During a phone in hosted by Johnny Mac, Tim Henman & guest Andy Murray, a caller phoned in asking how Serena Williams would get on in mens tennis, Tim was too polite to say, but Andy said she would probably be somewhere ranked around the top 500, McEnroe said he was being generous, and that she would be ranked outside the top 1000.

Good game with some of the best female footballer's in the World. Was good to see the skill on show, and none of the theatrics we see in our game......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    You ever watched some defenders and keepers in the Men's World Cup? Or the African nations cup?? It's pretty laughable as well...
    You clearly mean Brazil ,they embarrassed a nation

Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    Its entertaining but the standard is poor, a decent mens sunday league side would beat these teams.
    If you love watching football at any level u16/21/ juniors whatever, then your more likely to appreciate it.

As for the tennis, During a phone in hosted by Johnny Mac, Tim Henman & guest Andy Murray, a caller phoned in asking how Serena Williams would get on in mens tennis, Tim was too polite to say, but Andy said she would probably be somewhere ranked around the top 500, McEnroe said he was being generous, and that she would be ranked outside the top 1000.
    The OP wasn't talking about comparisons nor are the great majority of posters just simply how entertaining this match was as a " stand alone " game .
    You just cannot objectively compare women's/men's sports on a physical basis
    I have a teenage grandaughter who plays women's rugby and you would never compare it with the men's game . It is still great fun to watch
    That is how it should be with the football let the women's game stand on its own merits
    Should it not be that you enjoy all levels of football regardless of the " type" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Good game with some of the best female footballer's in the World. Was good to see the skill on show, and none of the theatrics we see in our game......

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I've been saying this for ages and don't see why it's such an offensive suggestion.

Imo it'd gain more popularity if it stopped trying to prove it is as good as men's football or at least comparable, both games will have its merits so they should do what's best for their game.

If women were to have invented football from scratch last week would they use the same dimensions men are using now? Probably not, they'd make the dimensions the appropriate size for most of the people that would be playing the sport, that wouldn't make them less sports people or devalue anything they'd achieve, its just be the sensible thing to
    Do.