hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Taking Our Chances (A MUST THIS SEASON)

Although I am pleased at early transfer business I still think we need a first class striker to stick away chances. Last Season we dictated lots of games but failed to land the killer touch required to gain promotion. At the end of the day we lost out to The Rangers in the play off and Falkirk after hammering them in the Semi-Final. Most of my fellow Hibees on here dont seem to bothered about strikers. I dont know if James Keatings is the answer but I really hope so. We really do have to be rutheless this season and take our chances. Is it just me that is concerned that we didnt take our chances last season or were people happy with the strike force. GGTTH
    Last edited by Wellbankhibby; 23-06-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: additional info

2. Log in to remove the advert

Cummings and Malonga were top and fourth top scorers in the league, whilst El Alagui missed almost the entire season through injury. We've also added Keatings who scored almost as many with limited game time.

Our scoring issues lie deeper as the midfield scored disappointingly few.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd hope Keatings will be the clinical finisher we needed last season, as well as El Alagui when he reaches full fitness. Cummings will no doubt improve his finishing this season through experience, and Malonga blows hot and cold. I suspect he'll be fourth choice.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cummings and Malonga were top and fourth top scorers in the league, whilst El Alagui missed almost the entire season through injury. We've also added Keatings who scored almost as many with limited game time.

I accept what your saying but we still missed a barrow load of chances. I just feel we need a top class striker the best we can afford.

Left by mutual consent!

Agree 100%. Plus, I'm really hoping that Malonga can add a bit more 'animation/energy' to his game, I often feel he does the 'bare minimum' and, IMHO, it's a waste as I really think we have a great player in him but it's getting him to realise/show that. I really rate him, when he has the ball at his feet, there's very few can take it off him !

As Eyrie says, it's goals from midfield that we need more of this season.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Scoring goals wasn't our problem last season, it was losing cheap goals when we were dominating games. Teams came and sat in and we struggled to break them down, then we lost a goal and from nothing. It was a situation that most of our team hadn't encountered before, but as the season went on we tended to cope much better and scored plenty goals( 2nd top scorers in the league) it must be hard for players to adjust to playing s completely different type of game when things aren't going your way early on in the season. Hearts started well and never lost that momentum, whereas we took a few months to get to grips with what was required.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Wellbankhibby View Post
    Although I am pleased at early transfer business I still think we need a first class striker to stick away chances. Last Season we dictated lots of games but failed to land the killer touch required to gain promotion. At the end of the day we lost out to The Rangers in the play off and Falkirk after hammering them in the Semi-Final. Most of my fellow Hibees on here dont seem to bothered about strikers. I dont know if James Keatings is the answer but I really hope so. We really do have to be rutheless this season and take our chances. Is it just me that is concerned that we didnt take our chances last season or were people happy with the strike force. GGTTH
    Striker is the only area we DONT need to strengthen imo.

@hibs.net private member

midfield need to chip in.

I don't think we missed that many clear cut chances - we didn't create enough that the strikers couldn't miss.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    As someone said we lost far too many cheap goals last season. Maybe its the defence we should be taking a look at and trying to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    midfield need to chip in.

I don't think we missed that many clear cut chances - we didn't create enough that the strikers couldn't miss.
    This for me.

Midfield were not a particular goal threat and also weren't enough of our players there playing quality passes in to the strikers consistently.
    Consequently too much tippy tappy around the box with a lot of players unwilling to take a shot.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    As someone said we lost far too many cheap goals last season. Maybe its the defence we should be taking a look at and trying to improve.
    We only conceded 6 more than Hearts but scored 26 less despite dominating games more than they did. Scoring goals is the priority.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

And Craig and Robbo scored more than our other midfielders. Hopefully Carmichael will contribute.

First Team Breakthrough hibby67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Scoring goals wasn't our problem last season, it was losing cheap goals when we were dominating games. Teams came and sat in and we struggled to break them down, then we lost a goal and from nothing. It was a situation that most of our team hadn't encountered before, but as the season went on we tended to cope much better and scored plenty goals( 2nd top scorers in the league) it must be hard for players to adjust to playing s completely different type of game when things aren't going your way early on in the season. Hearts started well and never lost that momentum, whereas we took a few months to get to grips with what was required.
    would like to see last seasons goals to chances stats for both ends of the park. i'm sure the defensive ones would be worse.

@hibs.net private member
    With Cummings, Malonga, El Alagui, Keatings and Boyle I thing we have an abundance of goal scorers to be honest. Midfield is were we need to see more goals scored.

I'd like to see Malonga playing in the hole, he's not an out and out striker and although his return was decent he doesn't always work great in a 2 up top, his link up play though is top notch and could see him being used behind the strikers, playing almost like a front 3.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    This for me.

Midfield were not a particular goal threat and also weren't enough of our players there playing quality passes in to the strikers consistently.
    Consequently too much tippy tappy around the box with a lot of players unwilling to take a shot.
    Agree. I think Stubbs does too. Although we've lost three central midfielders, I think we had too many players in midfield last season whose game does not involve pace or getting up with or beyond the strikers. We don't need to replace like-for-like. Boyle wasn't playing for us for most of last season and he has brought in Carmichael too so I consider these signings to be improving our balance compared to last season.

Apart from 'keepers I see our priorities now in order as centre-back/right back cover (maybe Paul Watson?), left back cover and another forward-minded central midfielder with a bit of pace. If we have budget remaining I'd then bring in a defensive midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    I'd hope Keatings will be the clinical finisher we needed last season, as well as El Alagui when he reaches full fitness. Cummings will no doubt improve his finishing this season through experience, and Malonga blows hot and cold. I suspect he'll be fourth choice.

Barring us snapping up Falcao or Higuian, Malonga will be our 1st choice striker next season. He is the best striker we have.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think we also need to concentrate on not conceding silly goals while we're on top in games just as much as taking our chances

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic#7 View Post
    I think we also need to concentrate on not conceding silly goals while we're on top in games just as much as taking our chances
    The words "Nail" "Hit" and "Head " come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I'd like to see Malonga playing in the hole, he's not an out and out striker and although his return was decent he doesn't always work great in a 2 up top, his link up play though is top notch and could see him being used behind the strikers, playing almost like a front 3.
    His first touch is excelllent and he holds the ball up so well, perfect for the role your saying.