hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

Oh no! Not all this again. Can we not just support this testimonial? Fill the ground and reward a great servant to the club.
    Like we used to!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Ther club can't organise a testimonial for Lewis as it would create a large tax problem for him.

What can happen though is that an independent group of supporters can organise it at arms length from the club (with their unofficial blessing and by them not being seen to help by the taxman). I understand that moves are afoot to get things underway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh no! Not all this again. Can we not just support this testimonial? Fill the ground and reward a great servant to the club.
    Like we used to!!
    Agree agree agree. Please let go of these queries and hang ups and just go along and simply say thanks. He deserves it ..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Agree agree agree. Please let go of these queries and hang ups and just go along and simply say thanks. He deserves it ..
    Yip

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    How does it cause a large tax problem. . He just pays the tax due like all of us 40% I would imagine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    How does it cause a large tax problem. . He just pays the tax due like all of us 40% I would imagine

There are ways he wouldn't have to pay 40% or more and maybe offset some of the costs. Seemingly the way most testimonials are set up these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    There are ways he wouldn't have to pay 40% or more and maybe offset some of the costs. Seemingly the way most testimonials are set up these days.
    I understand that but why? if I turn to my employer and try to escape paye then I know the answer...players from any club should pay there dues. ...I will be in the minority in this view point I know.

@hibs.net private member
    I understand that but why? if I turn to my employer and try to escape paye then I know the answer...players from any club should pay there dues. ...I will be in the minority in this view point I know.

But your employer would not be doing anything it is just the 10000 or so customers who want to make a donation.

But your employer would not be doing anything it is just the 10000 or so customers who want to make a donation.
    Dress it up how u like its dodging ....might be legal but thats life these days I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Players have to retire from football in their 30s, not from working. Guys leave the army after similar timescales and don't expect never to work again..
    Even in their 30`s - Some Retirement Pay-outs From the Forces are akin to the Amount a Testimonial might Raise..

@hibs.net private member
    Dress it up how u like its dodging ....might be legal but thats life these days I suppose

If I'm making a donation to Lewis's testimonial I want as much of it as possible going to Lewis not the taxman.

If I'm making a donation to Lewis's testimonial I want as much of it as possible going to Lewis not the taxman.
    I understand 10000 folk puting 20 quid each in his birthday card....not having a go pathead lewis deserves it I like the guy.....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Delighted for Lewis to get a testimonial. Unlike Ian Murrays farce, I will definitely attend this. 10 years at 1 club is a big achievement these days in particular.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Will definitely attend a Lewis Stevenson testimonial. 10 year service at Hibs is something you don't normally see that often. Always plays with his heart on the sleeve.

Has he ever been linked to other clubs. ? ......i can't think of a single club that has made a move for him . Hes a great player and my 7 year olds favorite

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Never had an ounce of temptation to attend Ian Murray's joke, but will be attending this.

FWIW I hope they do everything they can to make sure all the money goes to Lewis and not the taxman.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Has he ever been linked to other clubs. ? ......i can't think of a single club that has made a move for him . Hes a great player and my 7 year olds favorite
    Stuart McCall has shared that he wanted to sign him when he was manager of Motherwell....

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Ther club can't organise a testimonial for Lewis as it would create a large tax problem for him.

What can happen though is that an independent group of supporters can organise it at arms length from the club (with their unofficial blessing and by them not being seen to help by the taxman). I understand that moves are afoot to get things underway.
    If it's in his contract that he's entitled to a testimonial, and that he is entitled to proceeds from it, those proceeds are taxable.

Having a whip - round, as it were, would not be taxable.

The contents of his contract are key to the taxability.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 24-06-2015 at 06:13 AM.

What happens when a work colleague gets to 25 years service or retiring, there's usually a presentation of a gold watch or something similar and all the workers chip in and buy him/her a special gift. Having a testimonial is the cubs way of showing their thanks for his services, something in this day and age is becoming less and less with the ever changing landscape of football. Footballers have a short career and have to think about changing their future at around 34-35, many don't stay in the game and go into other careers, the money made from testimonials is there to help them adjust into any new career they choose, it's not as some have suggested extra cash to just boost their wage packets, remembering that playing for Hibs means you're on a very average to low wage to begin with, it's extra money for re training, investment etc for the players future, if he feels he has enough in the bank and wants to give some to charity, well that's up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    As long as he gives the profits to charity I'd go.

Players don't need their earnings topped up these days.
    Ive read this and the other post you put up on this... I really don't understand your view point. He played for us for 10 years, a great servant for the club. He's been on a average of £1k per week say... £52k per year, say £35k after tax... So a wee bit more than the average normal job. BUT he will retire in a few years and no longer be able to earn that money and you think he should give the income to charity?? That's staggering. We are not talking English Premiership players here. The lad is no better off than probably half the people on this board.

I don't pretend to know how much LS has earned in the past or how much he does now. A few years ago I did some work with his mother who indicated he wasn't earning alot of money. I'm sure his contract has been negotiated and improved since then but I can't believe some would grudge him his testimonials. A nicer, more grounded lad you would struggle to find. A loyal player who has given his all through thick and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Ive read this and the other post you put up on this... I really don't understand your view point. He played for us for 10 years, a great servant for the club. He's been on a average of £1k per week say... £52k per year, say £35k after tax... So a wee bit more than the average normal job. BUT he will retire in a few years and no longer be able to earn that money and you think he should give the income to charity?? That's staggering. We are not talking English Premiership players here. The lad is no better off than probably half the people on this board.
    How do the vast majority of pro players who don't get a testimonial cope without the cash boost it brings?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

How do the vast majority of pro players who don't get a testimonial cope without the cash boost it brings?
    Very few 10yr club players left tbh. The majority instigate moves to ensure they get plenty of signing on bonuses to shove into the pension.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    When I want to make a donation to charity I do so, I don't need somebody else doing it on my behalf.

@hibs.net private member
    are some people really moaning about rewarding a 10year + loyal player with a Testimonial. Firstly, after all the expenses of setting up a game and other events, do you really feel we are going to help Lewis to retire without any worries? You will be lucky if he got anywhere near £100k pre tax...probably net he might get 20-40K in total after tax and expenses. OK, it's a big sum for the majority of people - for him it will be somewhere in areas of 6-12 months net earnings...

It is a thank you, It is a reward. To get it he, and his committee will have to put in a lot of graft...

If people really grudge it, then don't go...but it seems so churlish to not simply respect his milestone. One that very few Hibs players ever reach...I thought it would simply be a moment of celebration - one to enjoy..and if he gets a wedge out of it - magic!! well earned...

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    are some people really moaning about rewarding a 10year + loyal player with a Testimonial. Firstly, after all the expenses of setting up a game and other events, do you really feel we are going to help Lewis to retire without any worries? You will be lucky if he got anywhere near £100k pre tax...probably net he might get 20-40K in total after tax and expenses. OK, it's a big sum for the majority of people - for him it will be somewhere in areas of 6-12 months net earnings...

It is a thank you, It is a reward. To get it he, and his committee will have to put in a lot of graft...

If people really grudge it, then don't go...but it seems so churlish to not simply respect his milestone. One that very few Hibs players ever reach...I thought it would simply be a moment of celebration - one to enjoy..and if he gets a wedge out of it - magic!! well earned...
    well said that man......10 years with hibs, the lads earned it.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    When I want to make a donation to charity I do so, I don't need somebody else doing it on my behalf.
    That makes you very unusual. The vast majority of charitable donations are prompted by an ask or an event of some kind.

At no point have I, or anyone else, moaned about LS getting a testimonial. In this day and age 10 years with one club is a hell of an achievement an he deserves his special day.

What I said was I would like to see a percentage of the proceeds go to a charity, preferably of Lewis' choosing. It's something that has become increasingly common in the post maximum wage era even in the relative poverty of Scottish football.

If others disagree then fine, and truth be told even if there was no charitable aspect I'd probably still go as I like LS and think he more than deserves a day in.the sun. I don't see why my opinion has got a few so worked up, at no point have I suggested LS shouldn't get a tetimonial, in fact reading back I was one of the 1st to say he most definitely should.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    At no point have I, or anyone else, moaned about LS getting a testimonial. In this day and age 10 years with one club is a hell of an achievement an he deserves his special day.

What I said was I would like to see a percentage of the proceeds go to a charity, preferably of Lewis' choosing. It's something that has become increasingly common in the post maximum wage era even in the relative poverty of Scottish football.

If others disagree then fine, and truth be told even if there was no charitable aspect I'd probably still go as I like LS and think he more than deserves a day in.the sun. I don't see why my opinion has got a few so worked up, at no point have I suggested LS shouldn't get a tetimonial, in fact reading back I was one of the 1st to say he most definitely should.
    PB, you have been posting on here long enough to know that most posters don't actually read other posts. They glance at them and rant

@hibs.net private member

Some people on this thread have put conditions on whether they would go or not...amount to charity etc, and in previous threads there have been dissenters.....didn't reference you in my mail or quote anything you had said...glad you support the testimonial, I do too..