hibs.net Messageboard

Car stolen from Craigleith area last night

My dads new car was stolen last night, it's a Silver VW Golf R reg no SL15 BHW, has black mirror caps and a black glass sunroof. Please get in touch if anyone spots it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by AlanRuff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dads new car was stolen last night, it's a Silver VW Golf R reg no SL15 BHW, has black mirror caps and a black glass sunroof. Please get in touch if anyone spots it.
    Are the new golf r's keyless start? I have a focus st and we are having major issues down south because keyless is so easy to steal. Hope you get it back mate. **** of the earth .

Not sure about the keyless start tbh, he only took delivery of the car a few weeks ago and the b******s broke into his house during the night when he was in bed and took the keys and his wallet.

Not sure about the keyless start tbh, he only took delivery of the car a few weeks ago and the b******s broke into his house during the night when he was in bed and took the keys and his wallet.
    Ah that's even worse.. At least its just a car mate . situations like this can have the potential to end up so much worse . good luck in finding it

Cheers bud.

Saw something on police Facebook about another couple of cars stolen in the pentlands area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For many years now cars have been near impossible to start without the keys. This, in turn, has led to many more break ins to obtain the car keys. The easiest way is to use a telescopic magnet for people who have a hall table where they throw the keys when they get home. If you know of anyone who still does this, advise them to alter their habits. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer concerning the theft? With built in gps I am sure someone can trace it's movements similar to "prey" for phones and computers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    For many years now cars have been near impossible to start without the keys. This, in turn, has led to many more break ins to obtain the car keys. The easiest way is to use a telescopic magnet for people who have a hall table where they throw the keys when they get home. If you know of anyone who still does this, advise them to alter their habits. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer concerning the theft? With built in gps I am sure someone can trace it's movements similar to "prey" for phones and computers etc.
    With the exeption of keyless start motors mate. Can start them with a laptop in under 2 minutes. Scary stuff

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    If your dad has just bought it, maybe the old owner ( or someone dodgy at the garage etc) had a spare/ cloned key and just stole it to be chopped for parts. I realise this probably won't assist you with getting the car back, but it's just a theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    He already said they broke into house and took the key.

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    So he did, I didn't notice that. Well let's hope the second part of my theory is wrong as well then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    My sister had her car stolen that way but the police reckon they used a fishing rod.

Her car was later used in a bank robbery and trashed.

Anyway she was advised not just to avoid dumping keys on a 'handy' table but to keep them out of sight to make the OPs theft less likely.
    Space to let

R's and S3's are the thieves car of choice at the moment that's why I'm reluctant to get one.

Fingers crossed it turns up but if maybe not if its been trashed/thrashed.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    R's and S3's are the thieves car of choice at the moment that's why I'm reluctant to get one.

Fingers crossed it turns up but if maybe not if its been trashed/thrashed.
    That's what worrying the old man, it's only a month old so part of him doesn't want it back if it's been hammered, he just wants the robbing b******s caught, as do I.

That's what worrying the old man, it's only a month old so part of him doesn't want it back if it's been hammered, he just wants the robbing b******s caught, as do I.
    If it's pro's that took it he won't see it again it will be in a container heading out the country.

If you look on the R forum there has been many taken some have also been car jacked in broad daylight! Total ****bags with no consideration of the effects it has on people.

I've got a new GTi and I'm a bit paranoid about its security but thankfully they don't seem quite as desirable.

Can you tell it's an R if you removes the badges?

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    If it's pro's that took it he won't see it again it will be in a container heading out the country.

If you look on the R forum there has been many taken some have also been car jacked in broad daylight! Total ****bags with no consideration of the effects it has on people.

I've got a new GTi and I'm a bit paranoid about its security but thankfully they don't seem quite as desirable.
    It's apparently been seen in the granton and gyle areas in the last couple of days and the cops think they know who took it due to a witness description so they think it's still in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Can you tell it's an R if you removes the badges?
    Its got 4 exhaust pipes.

Another focus rs stolen in Edinburgh last night. I use my remap handset to put my car into anti theft mode every night now. The problem is the chances of getting it back whole are slim as parts are so desireable

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Why don't manufacturers insert a hidden 'homing device' so that you could locate your car on GPS?
    Seems an obvious solution that would probably eliminate most car thefts at a stroke.

Yep RS stolen from East Craigs last night, broke in and stole keys from house the fourth RS in recent weeks stolen in Edinburgh.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Why don't manufacturers insert a hidden 'homing device' so that you could locate your car on GPS?
    Seems an obvious solution that would probably eliminate most car thefts at a stroke.
    Already do this in many high end cars but like anything, the baddies will find a way around it if they really want.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    I was stopped a few weeks ago now just before the Lizzie Bryce roundabout in Livingston, travelling home from a nightshift in the early hours. The Police explained a lot of high end cars are going missing in Edinburgh and they think they're travelling West. When they were checking my details there was a message over the radio announcing another car had been stolen, the same MO as what's happening here, breaking into the house and taking the keys, he also mentioned that it was the 6th car stolen that night from Edinburgh. I'd be getting a tracker fitted or at the very least a crook lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    I was stopped a few weeks ago now just before the Lizzie Bryce roundabout in Livingston, travelling home from a nightshift in the early hours. The Police explained a lot of high end cars are going missing in Edinburgh and they think they're travelling West. When they were checking my details there was a message over the radio announcing another car had been stolen, the same MO as what's happening here, breaking into the house and taking the keys, he also mentioned that it was the 6th car stolen that night from Edinburgh. I'd be getting a tracker fitted or at the very least a crook lock.
    Have a look at disc locks .. They are the best physical detterent at the minute I think

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Not just Edinburgh, it's happening all over. Mate at work had to leave early last week as his mum & dad's had been broken in to overnight in Newarthill area (North Lanarkshire), brand new Audi A3 stolen, the cheeky buggers then locked the door on the way out and bent the key so nobody could leave the house and Chad them!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    it would probably be cheaper to wire up a cheap android phone to the 12v somewhere and stick a Giff Gaff SIM in it. Plenty apps out there to track your phone.