hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What are your views on the Challenge Cup?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we should try as hard to win it as any other competition.

76 57.14%
  • I don't care about it and think we should play our reserves/treat it as least concern.

57 42.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I really think we should try and win every game we play. Winning becomes a habit, if we want to start embedding a successful culture at the club then winning games and trophies needs to be an aspiration.

I think it sends the wrong message if we take any competition or match lightly. IMHO if you've got fans paying to see a match then you should treat them with respect and go in committed to winning.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If we don't win it, and get promoted, I won't lose any sleep over it.

similarly if we do win it, and don't go up, it won't be any consolation.

But it would be nice to do a double. or triple. Or quadruple.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Great opportunity to introduce youngsters to playing first team football and potentially get them used to playing at Easter road if we can get a couple of home games.

No need to play the first team, would mean more to our youngsters if they could get a decent run, more likely to capture the imagination of the fans if we did that as well.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It should be treated as an opportunity to play players who aren't playing regularly. It's a long season and this cup is just an unnecessary distraction from what's important.

United we stand here....

I'd play a weak team, it means nothing to me.

Hardly a top priority but I don't want to travel to a game where we are not even trying to win.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great opportunity to introduce youngsters to playing first team football and potentially get them used to playing at Easter road if we can get a couple of home games.

No need to play the first team, would mean more to our youngsters if they could get a decent run, more likely to capture the imagination of the fans if we did that as well.
    Thats my take on it as well bingo - league is the only priority next season.

Agree it's 4th priority but we should still take it fairly seriously, a nice blend of experience and youth in these games will do for me, it's all about getting that winning habit going.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    The fact that we're having to reschedule league matches for this diddy tournament means that I'd rather we put our reserves out for these games.
    To win the Scottish Cup or League Cup you have to rearrange league matches, should we just forget those as well?

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    To win the Scottish Cup or League Cup you have to rearrange league matches, should we just forget those as well?
    Absolutely!
    Hibernian FC are members of the SFA and by virtue of that they work/opertae by the rules
    Simple logic which applies at work.play etc !!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Those are not diddy cups.

He did say "diddy cups".

Not arsed in the slightest about it. Play the youngsters.

If we enter the competition, pay the costs associated with it and ask the PUNTERS to pay for tickets to watch it, there is only one answer to this quesiton. We need to attempt to win everything we can and who the actual **** are we to call anything diddy anyway?

The botom line, if it doesn't matter, if it's not worth the hassle, it's not worth asking people to pay to watch it and therefore dont enter.

Otherwise, do all you can to win it.

ENDOF?

Best team to try and win it - a cup is a cup plus can add a feel good factor plus benefits of merchandising / increased ticket sales of people enjoy watching us.

Mickey Mouse cup - play the development lads.

Would hate lose a key player to injury playing a full squad in a cup which is meaningless.

It's pointless games we don't need. We need to get out this league this season. Every extra game is a chance of an injury or suspension. Play the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki_Money View Post
    Mickey Mouse cup - play the development lads.

Would hate lose a key player to injury playing a full squad in a cup which is meaningless.
    That approach can be taken....if we do that, it should be bucket donations to get in and we call it quits?

Otherwise, treat the cup like any other organised competition and attempt to win it.

Can see no point in entering if it's just to make up numbers surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    Those are not diddy cups.
    Are we so great these days we can refer to competitions as diddy cups?

I think not.

By definition we are in it because we are not a top flight club.

Every round we get through is more cash for the club so for that reason we should try and win it.
    Though i wouldnt want the open top bus if we do.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    That approach can be taken....if we do that, it should be bucket donations to get in and we call it quits?

Otherwise, treat the cup like any other organised competition and attempt to win it.

Can see no point in entering if it's just to make up numbers surely?
    agreed, the club could make a real statement of intent by withdrawing from this distraction completely. It's a diddy cup for diddy teams and just being associated with it is embarrassing and only goes to show how far we have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by My Wife Camille View Post
    agreed, the club could make a real statement of intent by withdrawing from this distraction completely. It's a diddy cup for diddy teams and just being associated with it is embarrassing and only goes to show how far we have fallen.
    We are in it because we got relegated, which makes us a diddy club in your books.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    We are in it because we got relegated, which makes us a diddy club in your books.
    I never said only diddy clubs entered it so you can ram that. I Said it's a competition for diddy Clubs. It exists simply so that these diddy clubs can have a chance of winning something. It's not something that a club of Hibernians size should be involved in.

I never said only diddy clubs entered it so you can ram that. I Said it's a competition for diddy Clubs. It exists simply so that these diddy clubs can have a chance of winning something. It's not something that a club of Hibernians size should be involved in.
    Feeling outsmarted eh that you have resorted to saying I should ram it.

It's a competition for diddy clubs (according to you) that we are in therefore we must then be a diddy club.

What is so difficult for you to grasp?

@hibs.net private member
    I think we should try to win it but with the under 20s squad. it would be good experience for the young lads trying to win something against more experienced professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I want to win it........its a cup and would be a great day out if we win. This might be our only Chance of silverware this season and to say it doesn't matter and its meaningless is a load of p1sh......i think some people are forgetting that we are not a premiership club.....we are a championship club. This is our level now and ill be gutted if we don't win it
    You would honestly be gutted if we didn't win it?? Jeezo this cup IS utter dross! Yes we are a championship club but I want back to the prem asap. If Scott Allan broke his leg in one of these pointless games and it ruined our promotion chances how would you feel?

The League cup and Scottish are better cups but again couldn't care less if we win them because one season down is manageable but 2 or god forbid three or four would ruin us. Play the under 14's for all I care I want out this ****ty league first and foremost so save the best players for that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I think we should try to win it but with the under 20s squad. it would be good experience for the young lads trying to win something against more experienced professionals.
    I agree

With no reserve league we should use this to give the young lads competitive competition. They will be playing against bigger lads who want to win and that will gain them vital experience for down the line.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Are we so great these days we can refer to competitions as diddy cups?

I think not.

By definition we are in it because we are not a top flight club.
    Yes, absolutely. Hibs winning this diddy cup will not be considered a great achievement by anyone. Similarly, if we win the league then no one will be shouting from the rooftops about it, because Hibs are far too big to consider a pitiful league and cup as good enough for a club this size.

I know fine well why we are in it.

For what it's worth, I'd like our reserves and youth lads to win it, and I'll probably go to the home games and the final.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Feeling outsmarted eh that you have resorted to saying I should ram it.

It's a competition for diddy clubs (according to you) that we are in therefore we must then be a diddy club.

What is so difficult for you to grasp?
    Right, look at it this way.

Little Marcos soft play is for children. If a grown man lowered himself and entered the soft play area, that would not therefore make him a child. It would however be hugely embarrassing for the man and a little inappropriate.

Likewise, the challenge cup is for diddy teams. Just because hibs have lowered themselves and entered the challenge cup, it does not make us a diddy club but it is also pretty embarrassing.

Simple

Left by mutual consent!
    Right, look at it this way.

Little Marcos soft play is for children. If a grown man lowered himself and entered the soft play area, that would not therefore make him a child. It would however be hugely embarrassing for the man and a little inappropriate.

Likewise, the challenge cup is for diddy teams. Just because hibs have lowered themselves and entered the challenge cup, it does not make us a diddy club but it is also pretty embarrassing.

Simple
    Deary me, can't disagree more. There would still be pretty decent celebrations if we won this cup.

Especially if we beat the huns in the final.

I am not embarrassed by my club. We played poorly and got.relegated. It's not embarrassing, it's what we deserved and we deserve to be in this cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I agree

With no reserve league we should use this to give the young lads competitive competition. They will be playing against bigger lads who want to win and that will gain them vital experience for down the line.
    Until we reach the final. We say thanks and then field our first team.