hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure we were singing "What a waste of money" about Shearer that night!
    We were and neil orr turned him inside out on the edge of our box in a rare display of silky ball control. Neil Orr humiliating alan shearer

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    Bristol Rovers are my English team. Mon the Gas!!!
    If you had a proper job there would be no need to hang about with other teams

I could not give a toss about any english football club.
    However while working in Dordrecht Holland I did fall in love with their local team F.C. Dordrecht.

Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post

p.s. if you want a connection with Hibs - it's Bolton, historically and currently
    You'll do for me!!

Having worked in London many moons ago and having a French background, Arsenal were the team i followed down there not unsurprisingly, oh and i went to school with some of the Marinello kids so theres a Hibs - Arsenal link to seal the deal off topic but Marseille are my "home" team growing up in the south of France and Genoa my italian team because my dads cousin played for them.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Peter Cormack,Calsberg,Kenny Dalglish pulling on a Hibs shirt in Alan Sneddon's testimonial and me.........that's the Liverpool connection :-)

Watford.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Watford.

Aye, I think Watford are a second team for a lot of folk throughout the UK...bit too 'fluffy' in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Maybe it is a bit, but given how easy it is to follow English football (MOTD is a good show, a billion times better than our equivalent) in the modern age, and given the quality of the players on show down there, I find it difficult to argue with someone if they were to support an English team instead of a Scottish one.

I used to quite like Liverpool when I was about 13/14 (funnily enough, now I cant stand them), but I've never really supported any English team.

If you don't have any kind of an emotional connection to your local team, why not support just any old team that might win something, that plays good football, and has quality players?
    Sorry mate,
    MOTD is a pi5h show, ex professionals that cant break down games tactically and explain in detail. Its a joke of a programme same with their unbelievably pi55 poor commentary on Euro and World Cup games, they have absolutely no knowledge on teams, the way they play, their players absolutely nothing, its embarrassing, luckily I can speak a couple of other languages and can watch and learn fitba on other tv channels, dicksplats like lawrensen and shearer, no depth. Thats the reason I stopped watchin MOTD a while back, also my interest in the so called best league in the world waned.Dont have a favourite english team either, probably my local team The Hague and Borussia Dortmund

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I don't 'support' any other team than Hibs though as a kid did have an interest in Manchester United - mainly because they sported two of my three favourite players of all-time in Denis Law and George Best (the other being Joe Baker). I have no time for what they are these days nor the moneyed circus that surrounds top level English football.

Living in a city with two league teams in Nottingham Forest and Notts County, (and Mansfield Town but a few miles away) I enjoy seeing all of these teams do well and in particular felt a lot of civic pride when amazingly Forest brought the European Cup back to Nottingham not once but twice in two years running in those days. An incredible and probably unrepeatable feat by any similar sized provincial club. Those days were totally incredible with Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) in their pomp and ripping up English and European football and it's so-called giants.

I do have a soft spot for Notts County though and mainly due to slightly Jambo-esque behaviour by some Forest supporters, family connections and a feel for the underdog, tend to favour them over Forest, if anything
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

No English team at all and find it quite weird when people in pubs celebrate a Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea goal as if Hibs have just qualified for the Champions League.

I do admire English fans though as on the whole they have a real depth of knowledge and understanding of football.

Scottish people who try to artificially attach themselves to the English Premiership just make me giggle though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    No English team at all and find it quite weird when people in pubs celebrate a Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea goal as if Hibs have just qualified for the Champions League.

I do admire English fans though as on the whole they have a real depth of knowledge and understanding of football.

Scottish people who try to artificially attach themselves to the English Premiership just make me giggle though.
    I think that's true of supporters of lower league teams but I was around many glory hunting United / Chelsea / Arsenal fans who didn't know the first thing about football or the club's history.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    I don't find any much difference in knowledge, from personal observation. In addition, (and maybe this thread bears that out!) I find Scottish football fans know much more about the English game than English supporters do about the Scottish equivalent - maybe for obvious reasons as related here. I find typically, for instance, that most English football fans I speak to know little about Hibs above 'are they the Catholic team, or is that Hearts?' More mature generations have maybe a memory of Pat Stanton perhaps and that's about it.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I don't find any much difference in knowledge, from personal observation. In addition, (and maybe this thread bears that out!) I find Scottish football fans know much more about the English game than English supporters do about the Scottish equivalent - maybe for obvious reasons as related here. I find typically, for instance, that most English football fans I speak to know little about Hibs above 'are they the Catholic team, or is that Hearts?' More mature generations have maybe a memory of Pat Stanton perhaps and that's about it.
    I agree. Scots know far more about the English clubs than English do about Scots. In England it's rare they mention any other clubs on tv /radio other than the weegie teams.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I don't 'support' any other team than Hibs though as a kid did have an interest in Manchester United - mainly because they sported two of my three favourite players of all-time in Denis Law and George Best (the other being Joe Baker). I have no time for what they are these days nor the moneyed circus that surrounds top level English football.

Living in a city with two league teams in Nottingham Forest and Notts County, (and Mansfield Town but a few miles away) I enjoy seeing all of these teams do well and in particular felt a lot of civic pride when amazingly Forest brought the European Cup back to Nottingham not once but twice in two years running in those days. An incredible and probably unrepeatable feat by any similar sized provincial club. Those days were totally incredible with Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) in their pomp and ripping up English and European football and it's so-called giants.

I do have a soft spot for Notts County though and mainly due to slightly Jambo-esque behaviour by some Forest supporters, family connections and a feel for the underdog, tend to favour them over Forest, if anything
    I've often wondered about two team towns such as Nottingham or Stoke. Is there any reason (in general) why a team is chosen? Location in the town - though a river divides the grounds in Nottingham, Family ties, Glory hunting?
    Obviously it's easy in Scotland as it's purely based on religion .

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    I've often wondered about two team towns such as Nottingham or Stoke. Is there any reason (in general) why a team is chosen? Location in the town - though a river divides the grounds in Nottingham, Family ties, Glory hunting?
    Wow what an impressive post.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There have been times when there are teams that I've gone out my way to watch. Liverpool (Dalglish, Souness, Rush), Ipswich (Wark), Man U (Cantona, Scholes, Giggs), Milan (3 Dutchmen). There was also a wee spell when Norwich were pretty entertaining in Europe. I wouldn't/couldn't say that I supported any of these teams, but I was certainly a fan.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 22-06-2015 at 05:08 PM.

You've pretty much got it. The reasons are no different from up here.

Family ties and location generally but there will a bit of favouring the more successful team which is inevitable as people prefer to be associated with success IMHO. Cost can be a bit of a factor nowadays too. I know quite a few folks whose kids might be Arsenal or Tottenham due to the 'glamour' in London but will attend Orient as it's more affordable to take them, and er, no waiting list for season tickets, or any waiting to be fair (apart from at the bar to drown your sorrows).

Aye that's right. Hibs massive Hindu support is down to that and its well known that ICT have a massive Mormon support. If you are a Rastafarian in Glasgow only Partick Thistle will do.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Aye that's right. Hibs massive Hindu support is down to that and its well known that ICT have a massive Mormon support. If you are a Rastafarian in Glasgow only Partick Thistle will do.

You've seen the new Partick mascot I take it. It does have a certain natty dread look about it.

Seeing as I've lived in rotherham for over 25 years I thought I'd give it a go and go to a game, bored out of my skull doesn't even come close to describing it. If it's not hibs or scotland I just can't get interested