hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The goalie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You see thats interesting and if they dropped down to say boys club etc i would agree but boys went straight into, Hearts, Rangers, Motherwell etc and more importantly are still there for next season so are the standard.

They did not get cut they walked, we have a truly fantastic striker at 14/15s just now who is walking, our Scotland player at 17s last year has also walked.
    14's goalie walked as ttaining has been truly awful for goalies since Thomo was cut by Butcher, this kid was coming from West Lothian area to be faced with no goalie training as the coach (that they got from Hearts and is brutal) had not turned up!

There has been issues for a while and have gotten much, much worse this past year, all very easy to blame the last guy when you are first in, bit harder when it is a year on.
    I'm going to hold off and see if these players actually make it in the game before using their departures to criticise the Hibs youth system.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    seriously?
    Seriously, yes. Cutting out the potential income to be made from selling on your own home grown players is going to limit the potential 'wndfall' type influx of cash that you need to go and pay transfer fees.

We haven't paid any for a while, because we haven't been able to sell anyone.

It is one of the fundamental reasons that club s who have had succesful youth programmes have been able to continually develop - you get them in as kids, develop them, benefit from them playing for you for a bit, then sell them on and reinvest the money.

The problem with the model of just continually buying players in as that you tend to need to pay a premium to get good ones, some work, some don't, some you can sell on, some you can't. With the tranfer system as it is bringing players in tends to be on contracts no more than a couple of years and so there is very little scope to make fees. Having your own kids that others see potential in and that you have under contract is one remaining way to make money from the system.

What we need is to produce the occasional player who will bring in £1 million plus.

This will then hopefully go back into the club.

We have had a recent dry patch recently and we need to get back to bringing on better youths.

I heard that some clubs did get rid of youth set up to focus on 1st team - Hartley supposedly when at Alloa did that and did St Johnstone not do sum thing similar recently ?

The cost to run academies around the UK isn't cheap but all it needs is one or two really good players and running costs etc of somewhere like East Mains are paid for, for a few years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    You make some very good points Matty and I tend to agree with your response, especially about shirking our responsibility to the game, in fact I couldn't argue against anything you said.
    I do feel though that we maybe need to look at the whole youth set up we have and decide exactly what we want out of it as a club. Are we looking at this as being the best for Hibernian F.C. or as a sense of responsibility to the game in general?
    Presently, I'm not convince that what we get out of it is worth what we are putting in.
    I think the new structure that's being put in place after LD and GCs arrivals will see us producing good young talent again in the not too distant future.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think the new structure that's being put in place after LD and GCs arrivals will see us producing good young talent again in the not too distant future.
    You can mess with the structure all you want but if you aren't getting the best of the kids in then it will never work, it's not the youth policy at fault it's the scouting network department we're failing at.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    You can mess with the structure all you want but if you aren't getting the best of the kids in then it will never work, it's not the youth policy at fault it's the scouting network department we're failing at.
    And that has been overhauled as part of the new regime's changes.