hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liam Fontaine

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is plenty in England who would be just as good and no reason to get in a flap about a player. If he wants to stay he will. I trust Stubbs to bring in the same quality if he does not.
    Did you see Nelson?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Did you see Nelson?
    Do you think Stubbs would sign him?
    Cougars!!!

Do you think Stubbs would sign him?
    Do you think Fenlon would have signed him if there were hundreds of top CBs in the English lower leagues?

Do you think Fenlon would have signed him if there were hundreds of top CBs in the English lower leagues?
    It's all about contacts and knowledge of the market. I suspect AS and his backroom team have a wider knowledge of the English market than Pat did. No disrespect to Pat though.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    There is plenty in England who would be just as good and no reason to get in a flap about a player. If he wants to stay he will. I trust Stubbs to bring in the same quality if he does not.
    Who's in a flap? Just people commenting on the possibility of losing one of our better players is all I see. Pretty much the same comments you would get in the same situation at any club. Keep hearing about all these good players in England, finding them is one thing, getting them to Hibs within our budget is another.

Blog Entries
    It was effectively Jimmy Nichol who signed Nelson. He had played for him at Killie. Why do you doubt there are plenty options in English lower leagues? I suspect very few on here had heard of Liam F when he signed.

It all depends on the staff, players and the player were trying to recruit.

Fontaine probably found jobs attractive as it was a well known manager in Stubbs who has a big reputation. As well as the fact he is coming to the end of his playing days and seen the players we currently have and our facilities.

A younger player wanting to progress in England might not find us as a decent club to go to, same goes for being persuaded if it was pat Fenlon trying to convince you, I don't think many would of heard of him.

Some players also don't adapt for whatever reason, look as when we signed James Collins, had done really well in England and no one could believe we pulled this signing off, then he couldn't perform

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I saw on one of the FB groups the other day describing Allan as "easily replaceable". I really don't get people. If the likes of Fontaine & Allan were ten-a-penny, how come we've not had the equivalent versions playing for us over the years. Yep, Fontaine is a straight swap for Nelson, O'Hanlon, Stephens or Dickoh, while Scott Allan is easily replaced by Jimmy Scott, Cregg, Taiwo, Deegan, Cairney, Osborne, or Tudor Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I saw on one of the FB groups the other day describing Allan as "easily replaceable". I really don't get people. If the likes of Fontaine & Allan were ten-a-penny, how come we've not had the equivalent versions playing for us over the years. Yep, Fontaine is a straight swap for Nelson, O'Hanlon, Stephens or Dickoh, while Scott Allan is easily replaced by Jimmy Scott, Cregg, Taiwo, Deegan, Cairney, Osborne, or Tudor Jones.
    It's a old saying but "you don't realise what you've got until it's gone"

This is why I'm left stunned most weekends hearing some comments people make around me. Much prefer to watch this football with these players than butcher/fenlon/calderwood anyday

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    By far the best one since Rob Jones.
    I agree with that, Foster and Hanlon look like new men playing beside him as well. Get him signed up

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    It was effectively Jimmy Nichol who signed Nelson. He had played for him at Killie. Why do you doubt there are plenty options in English lower leagues? I suspect very few on here had heard of Liam F when he signed.
    I had and was extremely surprised that we signed him, when Bristol City were flying in the championship he was linked with a move to Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    I had and was extremely surprised that we signed him, when Bristol City were flying in the championship he was linked with a move to Liverpool

Tweeted today saying how great was to be back in London.

hope short trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Hibees View Post
    Tweeted today saying how great was to be back in London.

hope short trip!

Think family are there

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    It's a well known fact that Hibs are a stepping stone on the way to Liverpool....ask Sol Bamba

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    It's a well known fact that Hibs are a stepping stone on the way to Liverpool....ask Sol Bamba
    Might have been but don't our pink chums claim to have a special relationship with Liverpool now?

They were after all on that long list of bumped creditors

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Might have been but don't our pink chums claim to have a special relationship with Liverpool now?

They were after all on that long list of bumped creditors
    I believe they believe they have a special relationship with everything and everyone....including wars and sisters

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Ooohhhh, you've taken that too far...

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Even this early on, it would be good news to have the defence all sorted for the new season, and that has to include the GK. Build the play from the back and build confidence from the back too.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Think family are there
    Yep he was born and brought up in London.

If there waiting to annonce this to raise ST sales, why not announce it at the same time when they brought back the payment plan?