hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    First Team Regular
    plenty of countries use summer and winter for different sports.
    here in Aus football and cricket are summer games, whilst rugby and AFL are winter games - this works well
    same deal in likes of Canada with baseball over the summer and icehockey in winter.

people look forward to the new 'season' and the change.

in Scotland we only really have football and for many reasons, not just uncompetitive to win it, it can become a bit tedious and introspective.

if summer football got the nod it could reinvigorate, but there would need to be something else to concentrate minds in dark January days.

Is it unthinkable to see likes of the Edinburgh capitals become a genuine mainstream thing?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The coldest I was all season was at Falkirk in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    The coldest I felt at any match this season was the final game at Falkirk. It was in May. Freaking freezing with the wind howling through the stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Not so bad when I was in the stadium during the game but whilst queuing up outside to get in, the wind could have cut you in half and I was struggling to feel my fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Just a recent example of being cold - not the coldest you were all season. It wasn't colder than in the winter.
    I agree with the 3 posters above you. Whilst the temperature might not have been as low as games in say, Jan/Feb, it certainly felt colder. Given the match was in May, no doubt people dressed accordingly (plus it was sunny-ish when we left Edinburgh) and the ground is wide open on one side so yes, it feel "colder" to some.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    No we need to play better football. Winning football. Playing over june and july (we are bsck playing at the end of July!) wont make a diffetence. Not enough to make a switch.

I said it earlier but no one wants to argue it. Whst ACTUAL change would summer football bring?
    It would bring in ( in my opinion ) more coverage from other countries as football fans would go to the pub to watch TV during their break. This would mean an increase in TV revenue and sponsorship money.

Still think the argument for outweighs the argument against.
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There's plenty examples on this thread of why it could benefit our game. Like anything there's counter arguments against it as well.

Imo you've decided you don't want it abd simply aren't willing to look at any potential positives.

I think Scottish football is in such decline it's worth considering, nobody is saying it's going to cure all the faults with our game but I don't see the harm in trying it. It might not be the success some of us think it will be but I don't think it'll make our game any worse so why not give it a go. If it doesn't work e could just move it back.
    I am quite happy to see potential positives. I just do not believe they exist enough to change football to a "summer" calender.

All it would do is change the start and end time of football.

There are more important issues to deal with to improve scottish football. Changing summer football is not the answer.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Waste of time.

Our weather in the summer is often very wet, windy and relatively cool. Whilst it's always going to be milder in June than it is in January, I just don't see the need for changing things.

As someone else has already said, changing to summer football will still mean that we'll play in the winter, it just won't be as much.

And I can see many people giving up season tickets as well as people have other activities that they do during the summer months, not to mention going away on holiday. If people know that they'll potentially miss four or five matches a season due to changing to summer football then they'll probably not bother buying a season ticket.

I also like the fixtures during Christmas and New Year and I think the winter months, with the long periods of darkness that we experience at that time of year, are depressing enough without missing out on the football as well.

It's a no from me.
    amen. Summer football isn't for me.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    It would bring in ( in my opinion ) more coverage from other countries as football fans would go to the pub to watch TV during their break. This would mean an increase in TV revenue and sponsorship money.

Still think the argument for outweighs the argument against.
    GGTTH
    There is football on now, no one is watching it in my local. I have been in a few times and had to remind the landlord that a game was on. Most people are not interested in Scottish football and this would not change after the EPL and other leagues end.

If there was such a demand, why isn't the LoI or Scandinavian football already on?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    There is football on now, no one is watching it in my local. I have been in a few times and had to remind the landlord that a game was on. Most people are not interested in Scottish football and this would not change after the EPL and other leagues end.

If there was such a demand, why isn't the LoI or Scandinavian football already on?
    Spot on. The idea that TV companies would be falling over themselves to cover Scottish games for a few weeks during June/July is just pie in the sky. If we do get really good weather during these months there are lots better things to do than watch football on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Spot on. The idea that TV companies would be falling over themselves to cover Scottish games for a few weeks during June/July is just pie in the sky. If we do get really good weather during these months there are lots better things to do than watch football on the TV.
    Nobody has said that TV companies will be falling over themselves. It should be possible to negotiate a better TV deal though. Trashing any change by exaggerating the claims being made for that change is yet another symptom of the ultra conservatism of so many Scottish football fans.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Think you drink too much H!! :o)

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I'd stop getting a season ticket or share one as I'd miss too many games over the summer. Big no from me.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Nobody has said that TV companies will be falling over themselves. It should be possible to negotiate a better TV deal though. Trashing any change by exaggerating the claims being made for that change is yet another symptom of the ultra conservatism of so many Scottish football fans.
    I dont see how we would get a better deal. We would be filling a small gap every two years. The majority of the season would still be in competition with the bigger, better leagues. Why would SKY etc give us a better deal for only a few weeks every other year?

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Think you drink too much H!! :o)
    I dont! Honest!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I dont see how we would get a better deal. We would be filling a small gap every two years. The majority of the season would still be in competition with the bigger, better leagues. Why would SKY etc give us a better deal for only a few weeks every other year?
    Because we'd be filling a gap when there's no other football on so it'd be in there interests to make it a better product.

Do you think we'd get a worse deal?

Because we'd be filling a gap when there's no other football on so it'd be in there interests to make it a better product.

Do you think we'd get a worse deal?
    There is summer football on at the moment, if there was a demand for it then it would be on. It isnt. Because there isnt.

I dont believe we would get a worse deal, it wont be much better if at all.

And will a tv deal change the major problems in the scottish game?

There is summer football on at the moment, if there was a demand for it then it would be on. It isnt. Because there isnt.

I dont believe we would get a worse deal, it wont be much better if at all.

And will a tv deal change the major problems in the scottish game?
    I don't mean this to sound disrespectful as I agreed with your suggestions about more indoor facilities and getting rid of the old firm (think that was you) but imo you care too much what English people think. I personally don't give a monkeys what they think, even if we were to improve our product 10 fold they still wouldn't be interested abd I wouldn't blame them as it wouldn't be as good as their own league. What Scottish football needs to do is get young Scottish kids going to watch hibs Aberdeen games instead of watching Chelsea man u on the Tele.

As I said I agree with you regarding what is required for the long term fix but if the Scottish game doesn't get a short term boost from somewhere then by the time we see the benefits of indoor facilities it could be too late for our game.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

There would be far more demand for Scottish games than there would be for Irish or Swedish football. If Scottish football was only watched in Scotland, Sky wouldn't bother with it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    There would be far more demand for Scottish games than there would be for Irish or Swedish football. If Scottish football was only watched in Scotland, Sky wouldn't bother with it.
    Don't knock Swedish football people!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Don't knock Swedish football people!
    Saying there isn't much interest in it for uk tv isn't really knocking it? Any hibs fan knocking swedish football would have a short memory of course, but then nobody here has knocked it.

There's world football on tv readily avaliable 24 7 365 but the reality for most folk is that if it isn't't local then it isn't't interesting.

Summer fitba, bring it on, Scottish fitba is in bad need of change and this would be a good thing for it. Why could we not make more from tv, advertising and sponsors. Would I rather watch fitba in the summer with 12 degrees stadiums with cold wind and sun or watch the game with hail, snow, freezing rain, wind at -2, I know what I would choose. Today was 23 degrees in Holland a saturday, bloody great to have went to a game without freezing my nackers off. What was the temperature in Edinburgh today.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Summer fitba, bring it on, Scottish fitba is in bad need of change and this would be a good thing for it. Why could we not make more from tv, advertising and sponsors. Would I rather watch fitba in the summer with 12 degrees stadiums with cold wind and sun or watch the game with hail, snow, freezing rain, wind at -2, I know what I would choose. Today was 23 degrees in Holland a saturday, bloody great to have went to a game without freezing my nackers off. What was the temperature in Edinburgh today.
    I think it was around 12 degrees but with the wind chill, it felt freezing

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    It was bloody cold, I can vouch for that.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Saying there isn't much interest in it for uk tv isn't really knocking it? Any hibs fan knocking swedish football would have a short memory of course, but then nobody here has knocked it.
    Whoooooooooooooosh. I was trying to be funny. I failed dramatically. Obviously.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    It was bloody cold, I can vouch for that.....
    Another cold miserable cloudy summer saturday. Crowd would have been massive at Easter Road though surely........
    Last edited by LaMotta; 13-06-2015 at 10:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Another cold miserable cloudy summer saturday. Crowd would have been massive at Easter Road though surely........
    It was lovely yesterday, what if we changed it to Friday night games? It seems to me that those who are against this seem to want to try and find reasons for it not to happen. I've only read a couple of valid reasons so far. I'm not trying to have a go at you for what you think is the way forward, but I'd like to know what you think can be done to resurrect the fortunes of a league that was once feared throughout the continent.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It was lovely yesterday, what if we changed it to Friday night games? It seems to me that those who are against this seem to want to try and find reasons for it not to happen. I've only read a couple of valid reasons so far. I'm not trying to have a go at you for what you think is the way forward, but I'd like to know what you think can be done to resurrect the fortunes of a league that was once feared throughout the continent.
    I dont think its about people like me looking for reasons for it not to happen mate......i just think its realistic thinking that for all the arguments Haymaker has superbly put across imo there is no evidence that summer football will make things better.

You point out correctly that our league was once feared thtoughout the continent...... that was true though as part of a scottish winter league though...

The grass is always greener is a mistake people make everywhere though....
    Last edited by LaMotta; 13-06-2015 at 10:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    9am in Peebles this morning, 5 degrees and raining.

I don't mean this to sound disrespectful as I agreed with your suggestions about more indoor facilities and getting rid of the old firm (think that was you) but imo you care too much what English people think. I personally don't give a monkeys what they think, even if we were to improve our product 10 fold they still wouldn't be interested abd I wouldn't blame them as it wouldn't be as good as their own league. What Scottish football needs to do is get young Scottish kids going to watch hibs Aberdeen games instead of watching Chelsea man u on the Tele.

As I said I agree with you regarding what is required for the long term fix but if the Scottish game doesn't get a short term boost from somewhere then by the time we see the benefits of indoor facilities it could be too late for our game.
    I agree that we do need to get more kids watching Scottish football, however a summer league would still be competing with the EPL for the most of the season so we would need to do something more than just switch to summer football which would realistically give us a small window to promote the Scottish game to Scottish kids before the juggernaut of EPL restarted.

How do we get more kids to watch Scottish football? Cheaper tickets? More clubs connected to junior clubs? Switching to summer football seems to me to be this bright idea a lot of people subscribe to and endorse as the saviour of Scottish football. It would still have the same problems as before, just a slightly warmer middle part.

I agree that we do need to get more kids watching Scottish football, however a summer league would still be competing with the EPL for the most of the season so we would need to do something more than just switch to summer football which would realistically give us a small window to promote the Scottish game to Scottish kids before the juggernaut of EPL restarted.

How do we get more kids to watch Scottish football? Cheaper tickets? More clubs connected to junior clubs? Switching to summer football seems to me to be this bright idea a lot of people subscribe to and endorse as the saviour of Scottish football. It would still have the same problems as before, just a slightly warmer middle part.
    I think you seem to be thinking that those of us that want a move to summer football think that it'll cure all of games ills. Nobody is suggesting that but we've got to start somewhere and what we're doing just now isn't working.

I think you seem to be thinking that those of us that want a move to summer football think that it'll cure all of games ills. Nobody is suggesting that but we've got to start somewhere and what we're doing just now isn't working.
    Some people do. Some people can have a decent discussion on the subject.

Personally I don't see how a move to summer football will have any change other than the start and end points of the season. You are right in that something isn't working right now however I believe it will be the same situation in a summer league. Other things need to be done first IMO and I have gone over those on previous posts (the performance centres etc).