hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a great story Smaxxa. Hats off to both parties for taking respective clubs forward. I can also reiterate what you say about George and Leanne, they were excellent when East Lothian Hibs contacted them regarding a couple of initiatives. They were also good to Ormiston Primrose. Lets hope Hibs, Tranent and Ormiston all win their respective leagues.
    And if they don't we can always blame Petrie.....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Been in Tranent a few years... I'm Moving ;-)

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    The clubs made some good progress and are trying to make inroads into the community side of things and having the support of Hibs is excellent for all concenrned. What was really impresive was that Tranent contacted George Craig and Leeanne Dempster re the preseason and a couple of other things and George came back within an hour or so adreessing the points in the mail and thanking Tranent for the contact. He believed Hibs could support with things and rather than exchange over email he invited the Tranent manager down to East Mains to discuss further. That then followed and we were welcomed into HTC with open arms, got shown around the facilities and had a meeting with George Craig and Findlay Stark. Agreement was reached very quickly for Hibs to provide preseason facilities for Tranent, agreement to participate in a local tournament on the 18th and 19th of July at Foresters (community fund day with bouncy castles, face painting for kids etc), agreement to play in the friendly mentioned above and allowing the Tranent managment team to spend the day at East Mains during the season to watch training and interact with the squad and coaching staff.

This is a really good news story and shows the difference the club is making to the community and to Hibs fans. Interstingly enough the Tranent management team of 5 are all Hibs fans . Things like this can get easily overlooked but I beleive its important to recognise the club for this great work.
    I have said for years that Tranent were in danger of becoming a forgotten club, I tell stories about old Tranent games in the Scottish and the crowds they used to draw and youngsters think I am winding them up. The youth of Tranent have no idea how big Tranent Juniors were. Macmerry MW used to run a bus to every away game in the Scottish as did the other local boozers and clubs. As the older supporters die off I was concerned that it was going to be too late to resurrect the club's fortunes.

I have been following the new regime with great interest and have decided to buy a season ticket to show my support.

As Brooster stated, no pressure mate.

What a great story Smaxxa. Hats off to both parties for taking respective clubs forward. I can also reiterate what you say about George and Leanne, they were excellent when East Lothian Hibs contacted them regarding a couple of initiatives. They were also good to Ormiston Primrose. Lets hope Hibs, Tranent and Ormiston all win their respective leagues.
    That's the idea of the local tournament, will be Tranent, Haddington, Ormiston and Hibs. Ormiston are part of the Tranent community club and the club have also got the tie up with Hibs so will be really good for the community. FREE entry to the tournament aswell with hopefully a good family occasion with some good football.

The Tranent coach who attended the meeting with George Craig commented that it's the most open he's seen hibs in 30 years. He previously got declined to spend time at EM and was welcomed in by Hearts which stuck in his throat so was delighted to see the progress with his own club as he put it.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    A Hibs 11 will play Tranent Juniors on Wednesday 22nd July at Foresters Park, Tranent.

Anyone know now what time the kickoff will be?

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    The clubs made some good progress and are trying to make inroads into the community side of things and having the support of Hibs is excellent for all concenrned. What was really impresive was that Tranent contacted George Craig and Leeanne Dempster re the preseason and a couple of other things and George came back within an hour or so adreessing the points in the mail and thanking Tranent for the contact. He believed Hibs could support with things and rather than exchange over email he invited the Tranent manager down to East Mains to discuss further. That then followed and we were welcomed into HTC with open arms, got shown around the facilities and had a meeting with George Craig and Findlay Stark. Agreement was reached very quickly for Hibs to provide preseason facilities for Tranent, agreement to participate in a local tournament on the 18th and 19th of July at Foresters (community fund day with bouncy castles, face painting for kids etc), agreement to play in the friendly mentioned above and allowing the Tranent managment team to spend the day at East Mains during the season to watch training and interact with the squad and coaching staff.

This is a really good news story and shows the difference the club is making to the community and to Hibs fans. Interstingly enough the Tranent management team of 5 are all Hibs fans . Things like this can get easily overlooked but I beleive its important to recognise the club for this great work.
    A brilliant, feel good factor, story. Thanks for sharing
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I have said for years that Tranent were in danger of becoming a forgotten club, I tell stories about old Tranent games in the Scottish and the crowds they used to draw and youngsters think I am winding them up. The youth of Tranent have no idea how big Tranent Juniors were. Macmerry MW used to run a bus to every away game in the Scottish as did the other local boozers and clubs. As the older supporters die off I was concerned that it was going to be too late to resurrect the club's fortunes.

I have been following the new regime with great interest and have decided to buy a season ticket to show my support.

As Brooster stated, no pressure mate.
    I've heard a few legendary tales Scoop...including a certain game against Auchinleck Talbot at some point in the 70s...

First Team Breakthrough Tranent Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Anyone know now what time the kickoff will be?
    Will post KO tomorrow probably 6-45pm just waiting to confirm

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHAM View Post
    I've heard a few legendary tales Scoop...including a certain game against Auchinleck Talbot at some point in the 70s...
    And against Cambus!ang in the Scottish at Foresters Park around the same time.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Is Tranent an unfriendly place? I've never been. Surely the folks must have similarities to Edinburgh folks? Could anyone sum up Tranent in a few words?
    My grandad came from Tranent. He died crashing a RAF fighter into a chimney towards the end of WW2. Thing is he was an aircraft technician and not a pilot, he just decided when he was pissed that he'd show them flyboys that what they do is easy. The RAF had the last laugh though, they buried him in Tranent graveyard with a pilot's headstone.

Anyway that wee story pretty much sums up the folks from Tranent and my family.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    And against Cambus!ang in the Scottish at Foresters Park around the same time.
    Do share......i've heard a few crackers but its always Auchinleck stories that are told!

Great to see Hibs engaging with local clubs and supporting the great work they do. Also as a Pencaitlander great to see Smally getting the backing, Junior football on the up again in East Lothain

Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post
    Do share......i've heard a few crackers but its always Auchinleck stories that are told!

Great to see Hibs engaging with local clubs and supporting the great work they do. Also as a Pencaitlander great to see Smally getting the backing, Junior football on the up again in East Lothain
    Never heard the Cambuslang either.

I was told about another wild game against Bathgate/Broxburn or some other West Lothian team who brought an Orange Band with them and tried to parade around the ground before kick off....

..." Then came the cry that stopped it all "The Big T Boys are out!"" :-)

I was told about another wild game against Bathgate/Broxburn or some other West Lothian team who brought an Orange Band with them and tried to parade around the ground before kick off....

It was Broxburn Adam, more arrests at that game than there was at the old firm game.

East Lothian Courier had court cases reported for months afterwards, a lot of it was great reading. A lot of people done for Police assault as well.

Regarding the Auchinleck Talbot games they were incredible, no doubt your Dad or Uncle Dougie or Uncle Twin would have been the ones who told you.

First game there was a few bus loads through and they made the fatal mistake of going to the Crosskeys before the game. Tranent won a great game of football 4-3 but it emerged afterwards that Tranent had played a protest. Unbelievably the SJFA made the teams replay the game the following Saturday again at Forresters, this time there was even more visiting fans but Tranent won 4-1.

Really big crowds at both games.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Cambuslang had Tranent 'watched' before the tie and were told that there would be no problems.
    Tranent were worth winners with a 2-0 scoreline (Johnston & Ritchie, IIRC). Cracking 1st goal, BTW.
    Don't think there was any crowd trouble just disappointed CR fans.

The Broxburn game was a cracker. I've never seen so much crowd trouble.
    Tranent's just not that kind of place you know.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    It was Broxburn Adam, more arrests at that game than there was at the old firm game.

East Lothian Courier had court cases reported for months afterwards, a lot of it was great reading. A lot of people done for Police assault as well.

Regarding the Auchinleck Talbot games they were incredible, no doubt your Dad or Uncle Dougie or Uncle Twin would have been the ones who told you.

First game there was a few bus loads through and they made the fatal mistake of going to the Crosskeys before the game. Tranent won a great game of football 4-3 but it emerged afterwards that Tranent had played a protest. Unbelievably the SJFA made the teams replay the game the following Saturday again at Forresters, this time there was even more visiting fans but Tranent won 4-1.

Really big crowds at both games.
    Haha. Yeh, one of them claims to be the instigator of the shenanigans but I can't remember who.

Did Tranent not play Auchinleck in the scottish during the 90s as well? IIRC I think there was at least 1,500 at Forresters that day. I was pretty young but still remember it being mobbed.

Would be good to see crowds like that back.

Have you guys ever thought about applying for a job at the Tranent Tourism Bureau? It may be worth adding that these incidents happened at least 30 years ago and that anyone wishing to go to the game next month will be made more than welcome haha.

Have you guys ever thought about applying for a job at the Tranent Tourism Bureau? It may be worth adding that these incidents happened at least 30 years ago and that anyone wishing to go to the game next month will be made more than welcome haha.
    Probably scaring people away from the town Stevie rather than attracting them.

Tourism meant to attract them...........................I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Is Tranent an unfriendly place? I've never been. Surely the folks must have similarities to Edinburgh folks? Could anyone sum up Tranent in a few words?

Forever in the shadow of the Wally-Toi!