hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got home from work, rounded up a few of the Alloa Hibs boys and headed to the Hibs club. We had a few beers and decided that we needed to get into ER in case it would be the last time. So round we went scaled the wall. We got in and sat at the back of the old east terrace for ages. Eventually had to leave but not before we had missed the last train back to Stifling. We ended up sleeping outside Eagerly and got the first train back in the morning. Taxi to work from the station.
    Myself, Spike Mandela and another Hibby from Alloa who I don't think does .net went to the Italia 90 world cup and plastered Hands off Hibs stickers from Alloa to Turin, Genoa and Rimini. We also collected heaps of signatures for the petition from fans of clubs from all over Europe.
    Wish I was 21 again but could do without the stress that Mercer caused me back then
    Cracking story. Well done.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I got home from work, rounded up a few of the Alloa Hibs boys and headed to the Hibs club. We had a few beers and decided that we needed to get into ER in case it would be the last time. So round we went scaled the wall. We got in and sat at the back of the old east terrace for ages. Eventually had to leave but not before we had missed the last train back to Stifling. We ended up sleeping outside Eagerly and got the first train back in the morning. Taxi to work from the station.
    Myself, Spike Mandela and another Hibby from Alloa who I don't think does .net went to the Italia 90 world cup and plastered Hands off Hibs stickers from Alloa to Turin, Genoa and Rimini. We also collected heaps of signatures for the petition from fans of clubs from all over Europe.
    Wish I was 21 again but could do without the stress that Mercer caused me back then
    Was at Working Together meeting tonight and got chatting to a guy who went to Turin and saw all these HoH posters and stickers.Your fame spreads!

Also I understand that there will be a HoH exhibition at the Open Day on 21 June.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    As the guy says in the article below for every Jambo that had sympathy for you 2 or 3 others couldn't wait to rub your face in it.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/mercer...rasp-1-1243663

And i'm still waiting for my EEN royalties.
    Was happy enough that David Hardie lobbed 4 years off my age though.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    Brings back memories. Gary Joyce and myself had more radical ideas. I was tannoyed at the rally and basically threatened and told to let HOH deal with Mercer.
    Haha. We certainly did.
    Don't think they were too happy with us trying organize the crowd to head to the junction of Princes St and North Bridge after the rally to have a sit down protest and bring the city center to a grinding halt. (amongst other things. )

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Whenever that day comes up, I also think about the "Wallet Mercernary" banner draped over the barriers.
    Still got it.

(p.s. Sorry dont know how to 'multi quote')

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Haha. We certainly did.
    Don't think they were too happy with us trying organize the crowd to head to the junction of Princes St and North Bridge after the rally to have a sit down protest and bring the city center to a grinding halt. (amongst other things. )
    We meant well. How you doing bud?

Left by mutual consent!

Hands off Hibs

Things were looking bad at that time and some direct action was needed. A mate who was a decorator got a gallon of wall-paper paste and we had about 1,000 H o H posters. 4 of us jumped in the van and hit the banks as B o S were supporting the bid. Covered bank windows and ATM's in posters. Next we tried to hit *********** but cops and security everywhere. In for a penny we thought so chairman's house next. Climbing over garden wall and through the golf course to avoid the cops we got into his garden and covered his house, garage and garden with H o H posters. Hundreds and hundreds covered his lawn, walls and garage. Back in the van and back to the Hibs club for a pint. It was late on but the committee was still there. One asked "You been up at his house ?" "Why" I said. "Coz he has been on the phone. Call off your dogs, I am packing it in". Yeeeeesssss. I was going to write a book, Mercer : My part in is downfall but never really new how to start. Cant believe that was 25 years ago. Anyone else remember making the record ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Things were looking bad at that time and some direct action was needed. A mate who was a decorator got a gallon of wall-paper paste and we had about 1,000 H o H posters. 4 of us jumped in the van and hit the banks as B o S were supporting the bid. Covered bank windows and ATM's in posters. Next we tried to hit *********** but cops and security everywhere. In for a penny we thought so chairman's house next. Climbing over garden wall and through the golf course to avoid the cops we got into his garden and covered his house, garage and garden with H o H posters. Hundreds and hundreds covered his lawn, walls and garage. Back in the van and back to the Hibs club for a pint. It was late on but the committee was still there. One asked "You been up at his house ?" "Why" I said. "Coz he has been on the phone. Call off your dogs, I am packing it in". Yeeeeesssss. I was going to write a book, Mercer : My part in is downfall but never really new how to start. Cant believe that was 25 years ago. Anyone else remember making the record ?
    ha ha quality

Was only 9 at the time so don't really remember much of it apart from it being a nice sunny day and my dad had to explain to me why there were so many grown men in tears. It was the day before my family flew out to Yugoslavia on holiday for Italia 90.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    We meant well. How you doing bud?
    Indeedy.
    It was a 'by any means necessary' situation though.
    Doin' ok. Hope all is good wi yer good self.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    heard someone armed with a bucket of mortar and a trowel took some direct action against BOS cash machines as well.

Without the yams bankers money/credit big wally would never have got a bid of the ground.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I recall heading to the Hibs club and witnessed people in an absolute state of shock and dismay. At the end of the night I remember saying to one guy "Well just in case we dinnae meet again it was nice knowing you" and he started to cry. I thought that this will never come to pass that my club could be taken from by them.
    On the day of the rally at ER my wife and I moved from Musselburgh to Port Seton. My wife realised what the club meant to me and finished the move with her sister and brother in law. I recall the open decked bus, the Bof S protests. I remember using all my lieu days from BR to protest at the Bank of Scotland on the Mound. My grandfather had started our Hibernian traditions way back in about 1912, traditions carried on by my dad, his brother, myself and three of my four brothers, my son and my daughters and now my 3 grandchildren.

I remember most the great Hibs people I met back in those days such as Brian Penman, Peter Janetta, Alan Thom, Ian Brennan, Kenny McLean, Dougie Cromb, Davie Brown, Pat Kelly, Susan Downie, Grace McGeachie, Paul Kane, Sue McLernon and many others whose names escape me, some sadly no longer with us, all people who would have bled green if cut.

Sadly my health is not great these days but I can feel a disabled season ticket and carer ticket package being bought for next season.

Always and forever GGTTH.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Unfortunately I was offshore for most of the turmoil. Again unfortunately my old Dad who had been watching Hibs since the 30s passed away before Mercer had his rethink. Poor man died thinking we were screwed.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The rally itself was a great day. No internet in those days of course so all organised via traditional media and word of mouth. I remember coming away feeling optimistic and proud to be a Hibee. Opposite of the day the takeover was announced when I was despairing.

Hands off Hibs banner at the World Cup was brilliant. Various tales of the pressure put on the FTB including my mate leaning out his car window at 80 on the bypass giving him the vickies and tailgating him along the road. Make no mistake it was that sort of direct action that forced Wallet to change his mind. We will NEVER die.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At Archerfield's first member guest invitational, I had just got something from the buffet and was looking for somewhere to sit to eat.

The FTB was straight ahead of me.

I walked over to him and extended my hand and said to him " I have always wanted to meet you. I wanted to say thanks to you for saving Hibs"

He extended his hand to me looking completely non plussed.

I refused it and walked away