hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just got called a gay paddy by a dude in a kilt drinking out a bottle of whisky!

Him aside popped into molloys and atmosphere building nicely...weather warm but now cloudy..I'm leaving Dublin in an hour..have a ball the lot of you and tidy up after yerselves I'm back again next week :-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    When I was coming back to Edinburgh from Cologne (well, Dusseldorf-Weeze) earlier today, the airport was filled with guys in kilts and Scotland tops. Seems like a huge away following is going to the game.

getting rather exited at this stage. the only other Scotland away games I've attended were the last time (Celtic cup) in the Aviva, and the year we got severely pumped in Wembley 5-1. Stewart Kennedy in goals? this must have been '76 if I recall. this occasion, and the cost are both covered by close friends for both the accommodation and the match experience and I owe them big style for this. However, I have friends that have travelled the world, to follow our national team and respect them hugely. I hope to meet up with a few, in Dublin for a jar.

Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't buy into it, didn't realise it was an issue really. The majority of Hibees i attend games with feel the same as do many others I presume. Like I said before hope we get a result but I think it is totally different to the last few times we have been away in Europe. Malmo was a great away trip and it's always been much more special with Hibs. With Scotland I just don't see the point in all of it. Grown men who plan their holidays around Scotland's qualifying calendar, who on the day of the trip dust their kilts off to get tanked up and make a fool of themselves in the name of "banter". Just isn't me i'm afriad
    To be honest, I used to have a roughly similar opinion of the Tartan Army as you. All seemed a bit caricature, "wha's like us" chat, an odd kind of one upmanship because we like a bevy but - in general - manage to not smash a place up whilst doing so.

Then I went to the game in Dortmund and I have to say, as 1 of 2 members of the recently formed Zurich Tartan Army (this is a joke, there's isn't actually a TA branch here!) I'm converted. The atmosphere is brilliant, there's no-one really "making a fool of themselves" - apart from Fairy Liquid in the fountain, but that harms no-one.

There are lots of drunk people, yes, but not drunk and disorderly, just having a good time with mates. I daresay there's the odd exception to that rule, but nowhere near as high a % as you'll find in the Roseburn End on Derby Day, sorry to say.

There's the old legend with the Nessie hat who the TV crews love, and in general I got nothing but a good vibe off the locals as well (ended up chatting some almost certainly pish German with some Frauleines after the game).

A very enjoyable experience as long as you don't take yourself too seriously. I plan on repeating it in the Algarve come October.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    To be honest, I used to have a roughly similar opinion of the Tartan Army as you. All seemed a bit caricature, "wha's like us" chat, an odd kind of one upmanship because we like a bevy but - in general - manage to not smash a place up whilst doing so.

Then I went to the game in Dortmund and I have to say, as 1 of 2 members of the recently formed Zurich Tartan Army (this is a joke, there's isn't actually a TA branch here!) I'm converted. The atmosphere is brilliant, there's no-one really "making a fool of themselves" - apart from Fairy Liquid in the fountain, but that harms no-one.

There are lots of drunk people, yes, but not drunk and disorderly, just having a good time with mates. I daresay there's the odd exception to that rule, but nowhere near as high a % as you'll find in the Roseburn End on Derby Day, sorry to say.

There's the old legend with the Nessie hat who the TV crews love, and in general I got nothing but a good vibe off the locals as well (ended up chatting some almost certainly pish German with some Frauleines after the game).

A very enjoyable experience as long as you don't take yourself too seriously. I plan on repeating it in the Algarve come October.
    That legend is a guy called Ludo. He's been to over 100 away games. He actually gave it all up a few years ago but nearly died of a heart attack (I believe, may be wrong) so decided life should be lived to the full and hasn't missed a game since. Top man'
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 12-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    That legend is a guy called Lubo. He's been to over 100 away games. He actually gave it all up a few years ago but nearly died of a heart attack (I believe, may be wrong) so decided life should be lived to the full and hasn't missed a game since. Top man'
    LuDo.

Yeh I heard something similar to that. Although I'd heard that he was told by a fortune teller that he might not get to a certain age so wanted to live life to the full. Haha. Flair play to him though.

You can't beat a trip abroad with either Hibs or Scotland. Love them both. I would say though that's their a bit more of an "edge" with club football.

France next year. We'll be coming!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I have seen dozens more drunken obnoxious ********s at Hibs Semi's & Finals than I have ever seen around Scotland games.

Following Scotland away used to be almost a right of passage for football supporters and despite the inter club rivalries that now exist and sully the game, there is none of that at Scotland games and any inter club rivalry is just good natured banter as it used to be in most places.

Pubs and Clubs up and down the country used to run savings schemes and organise trips to Wembley every two years, my old man did it for over 30 years and made life lasting friendships as a result.

Seeing Scotland beat England at Wembley as part of that is truly one of my greatest joys in my life.

If its not for you don't get involved, but don't criticise things from afar you cant comprehend and haven't experienced.

Got to agree with this. Closest I've come to a pagger at the football these past 20 years has been at Hampden, due to ersehole behaviour from pissed fandango Hibs fans.

Scotland fans have generally enhanced our countries footballing stature, especially when we've been mince for the past decade and a half. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but where's the harm?

Dublin will be rocking tonight, wish Iwas there!

Getting very jealous seeing all the boys going over for this game. Keep an eye on this webcam tonight and tomorrow, should be bouncing!

http://www.earthcam.com/world/irelan...?cam=templebar

Anyone lucky enough to be killing time on the flight over (or just killing time at home with no other football on) should check out our match preview podcast!

http://www.mondaynightfitba.com/shows/#/stramash/

@hibs.net private member
    Just booked ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast 4:00am tomorrow morning, with car. Booked back Saturday at 23:00 but can get the Sunday 7:30 ferry back from Belfast. I get 2 passengers with me so if anyone is up for a road trip I'll be leaving Edinburgh tonight about midnight.

First come first served. Also need a ticket now

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    I just don't buy into it, didn't realise it was an issue really. The majority of Hibees i attend games with feel the same as do many others I presume. Like I said before hope we get a result but I think it is totally different to the last few times we have been away in Europe. Malmo was a great away trip and it's always been much more special with Hibs. With Scotland I just don't see the point in all of it. Grown men who plan their holidays around Scotland's qualifying calendar, who on the day of the trip dust their kilts off to get tanked up and make a fool of themselves in the name of "banter". Just isn't me i'm afriad
    No offence, but you clearly were not in France for 3 weeks in 1998......you would have got it then.

Or qualifiers in Paris, Prague, wherever.

Great trips, great chat. Looking forward to reprising the France thing next year!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    No offence, but you clearly were not in France for 3 weeks in 1998......you would have got it then.

Great trips, great chat. Looking forward to reprising the France thing next year!
    Most of those who are critical of the tartan army probably don't go away with the team. Hibs and Scotland away trips in Europe are tremendous.

Hope those going enjoy themselves. Dublin is a great city, if a tad expensive, I read a post earlier saying prices aren't much worse than Edinburgh as though that was a good thing!

I hope Scotland win but I just can't get into the spirit of really following the national team at all. When I was younger amongst all the guys I hung about with, went to football with etc following the national team was seen as being just a bit naff. Each to their own though and fair play to the guys who spend a fortune doing so.

For a country of our size population wise it's quite incredible to have such a large and passionate away support when you consider that we've won absolutely hee haw and haven't even come close to getting our hands on any silverware.

A lot of countries would be grateful to have the support that Scotland have.

Tartan Army

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Most of those who are critical of the tartan army probably don't go away with the team. Hibs and Scotland away trips in Europe are tremendous.
    Just dae it or dinnae dae it, but, you REALLY want to deny yourselfs away trips to Europe? Then, the world if fortunate? No big deal, I will have your ticket every time. But if it makes you feel cool, uber etc? Fair play. As said, I have had some Good times away with Scotland, Hibs in Europe my pinnacle but, but, why should anybody be tight or snobbish about your foreign Fitba if your both a Hibee & Scotland fan? Bit too precious for me.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Getting very jealous seeing all the boys going over for this game. Keep an eye on this webcam tonight and tomorrow, should be bouncing!

http://www.earthcam.com/world/irelan...?cam=templebar
    Twist and Shout being sung
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

If people want to dress like something off the side of a Shortbread Tin then where's the harm in it?

I go to Scotland games and the TA 'Uniform' isn't really my kinda thing but it seems to amuse the locals. Although, I would like to add that a drunk is still a drunk, no matter how they're dressed, and sometimes they overestimate just how 'charming' they're being. That's not just restricted to the TA, though.

What I would say is that I had a good laugh with a number of the locals in and around Dortmund last year while chatting about their views of the Tartan Army, and also watching their interaction with them.

For instance, the lovely blonde lady in the the Cafe next to Dortmund Train Station asked for my assistance as a Translator on a couple of occasions. Not from English to German but into English from "vottever zat wierd language is zey speak!" :-)

There was one guy that came in and asked "Huv ye goat a normul cup ae tea, hen?". I suggested he might want what the Germans call 'Breakfast Tea' but when she offered him that, he just screwed up his face and said, "Ah'll no bother, hen" and left in disgust.

She also told me and the Missus later that her main complaint was that, when she was a small girl at school, they were taught how to sit like a Lady and avoid exposing areas that should be kept private, but that the Scotland Fans had obviously never received such training. Apparently it was putting off a number of their older customers. She made a number of references to already having '.."Wurst" on the menu, thanks very much'

Last edited by Keith_M; 13-06-2015 at 09:01 AM.

We're beating them again. 1-0 Scotland

What's times k.o

Ireland Team:

Given
    Coleman
    Brady
    Wilson
    O'Shea
    McCarthy
    Whelan
    Hendrick
    Hoolahan
    Walters
    Murphy

Scotland Team:

Marshall
    Hutton
    Forsyth
    Martin
    Mulgrew
    Maloney
    Morrison
    Brown
    Fletcher
    Naismith
    Ritchie

First Team Breakthrough
    I started reading a thread on You Boys In Green forum which is like a spoof Roy Keane diary.. It's actually really funny..

"After a while theres a knock on my door. I dont like being disturbed as I prepared for a game. Whoever this is has just interrupted me staring aggressively at a picture of Gordon Strachan. Its a part of my routine that takes about 20mins."

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/my-roy-kean...55_page24.html

Anyway, I'm not going but am a big Scotland fan. I'm nervous about the game today as Ireland need to win more than us and I think it will come down to who wants it more... I hope I'm wrong and we get at least a draw though..

MON SCOTLAND!
    Last edited by libernian; 13-06-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo correction

Cmon Scotland.. Butterflies are starting now .. Massive game

People saying Ireland need the win more? If Scotland lose today I think 3rd is the only aim. Win 1-0 for my bet please.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    People saying Ireland need the win more? If Scotland lose today I think 3rd is the only aim. Win 1-0 for my bet please.
    And Maloney should get that first goal for my bet.

Can somebody tell me what the applause is for? Can't hear in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    Can somebody tell me what the applause is for? Can't hear in the pub.
    Bill O'Herlihy(?)-Irish Broadcaster, and Keane cousins

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Bill O'Herlihy(?)-Irish Broadcaster, and Keane cousins
    Thanks mate.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    who is this Forsyth guy ?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    who is this Forsyth guy ?
    Derby left back. He started at Dundee or Dundee Utd, cannae mind which.