Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you work somewhere like that?
    I'm asking myself that very question

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I'd get browned off.
    If that happened to our head of acquisitions, he'd be toast.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    When threads turn into just puns.

(Not really but thought it was apt).
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    When threads turn into just puns.
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Folk who show no interest in a sport all year then a big event comes up and they suddenly become an expert and pontificate on everything to do with it. I understand big sporting events always attract a wider audience but I'm talking about those who become short term experts.

I follow horse racing throughout the jumps season and have a pretty good understanding of the sport. With Cheltenham 2 weeks away the 4 day experts start to appear regurgitating something they read on the Daily Express racing page as fact. 'Cue Card just won't stay up that hill at 12', 'Yanworth doesn't jump well enough to win a Champion Hurdle' etc. They then fluke a 20/1 shot in one of the handicaps and think they are a betting sage for a few days.

See also folk who watch 4 tennis matches a year then become experts on Andy Murrays serve during Wimbledon.
    The ****ing Superbowl is the absolute worst for this type of behaviour.

"Go Pats" etc around mid Feb "ooooh wonder if I can stay awake for the whole game" etc etc

**** off

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

"Go Pats" etc around mid Feb "ooooh wonder if I can stay awake for the whole game" etc etc

**** off
    It's the same with Haye v Bellew coming up on Saturday, now I don't know very much about the fight and I will be tuning in, but the amount of folk on my twitter and facebook hitting out with boxing cliches and trying to come across like they are Barry ****in McGuigan is doing my head in.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Toasters that aren't big enough for a standard sized bit of bread. Having to stop midway through to turn the bread upside down so it all gets done, but then the middle is more toasted than the top and bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Ditto.

It never strikes me to actually check on such a fundamental point, and I'm talking about toasters from well established companies who have been making these machines for years.

If the manufacturers can't/won't adapt, maybe bakers might take the issue on board. For instance, Warburton ( I know, but their bread's quite good ) have bread actually called 'Toastie' which is nowhere near the dimensions of a standard toaster.
    Using a quality British Dualit toaster I wasn't aware this was such a big peeve, so much so that Breville actually sell their toasters on the back of being a perfect fit for Warburtons bread!?!<<clicky link

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Hijacking threads and turning them into a pun fest is a really crummy thing to do.

**** off
    The Superbowl! Wtf is all that about? Why not just watch a game of rugby and pause the action after 3 minutes of play, switch over to the shopping channel for 10 minutes then restart the game and repeat the same process for several hours between 1am and going to work? Same thing.

Lothian bus drivers who won't open the doors to let you get the bus in front because it's 'dangerous'.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Toasters that aren't big enough for a standard sized bit of bread. Having to stop midway through to turn the bread upside down so it all gets done, but then the middle is more toasted than the top and bottom.
    Can anyone recommend a four slice toaster that doesn't force you to do that? Short of taking a loaf into John Lewis I'm not sure how I would know that it would take a full slice or not.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Using a quality British Dualit toaster I wasn't aware this was such a big peeve, so much so that Breville actually sell their toasters on the back of being a perfect fit for Warburtons bread!?!<<clicky link
    Funny that, I've got a breville 4 slice toaster and it most definitely does not fit warburtons bread!!

Trying to get a woman to throw something out.

Myself and my girlfriend have a baby on the way so are packing up to move to a bigger house. Sorting out old stuff I'm being quite sensible/ruthless. Clothes not been worn for a year are either charity shop or bin, books that have been read likewise, anything stuck at the back of drawers is being chucked, most DVDs are going etc

On the other hand clothes that in 6 years I have literally never seen her wear are being kept 'just in case'. When I explained that she hasn't worn them in years and it's quite likely she won't get the chance again any time soon I'm told 'I don't understand'. My favourite was the other night when I went to chuck an old champagne bottle in the recycling (that has annoyed me for months). I was told we were keeping it, I asked why and was told 'just because'. Mental.

Myself and my girlfriend have a baby on the way so are packing up to move to a bigger house. Sorting out old stuff I'm being quite sensible/ruthless. Clothes not been worn for a year are either charity shop or bin, books that have been read likewise, anything stuck at the back of drawers is being chucked, most DVDs are going etc

On the other hand clothes that in 6 years I have literally never seen her wear are being kept 'just in case'. When I explained that she hasn't worn them in years and it's quite likely she won't get the chance again any time soon I'm told 'I don't understand'. My favourite was the other night when I went to chuck an old champagne bottle in the recycling (that has annoyed me for months). I was told we were keeping it, I asked why and was told 'just because'. Mental.
    Other way round in my hoose, laid up for 2 weeks post op so will get work getting roles of a lot of stuff

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Double standards/lack of awareness that sexism is applicable to both sexes.

The Matt Damon Stella Artois advert. He's an ambassador for a water charity. He says "everyday women around the world spend hours a day just collecting it" & "Stella Artois helping provide support and access to clean water for women and their families in the developing world". Do men not collect or drink water in the developing world as well?

If it had been worded the other way around the sexism card would have been played in blogs etc yet, and I don't use social media so may simply not see it, but never see any meaningfull discussions about sexism against men.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Do men not collect or drink water in the developing world as well?
    I don't know the genuine answer to that, but in all the charity videos that get blasted out for Red Nose Day, Sport Relief, Children in Need etc, it only ever seems to be the women & children that gather water.

I do agree there seems to be a sexist bias in advertising, menstruating women tackling a sky dive whilst stay at home dads struggle to separate whites from coloureds washes, but that doesn't seem to be as damaging as much as the REAL white male privilege many of us are alleged to enjoy day in, day out.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

The Matt Damon Stella Artois advert. He's an ambassador for a water charity. He says "everyday women around the world spend hours a day just collecting it" & "Stella Artois helping provide support and access to clean water for women and their families in the developing world". Do men not collect or drink water in the developing world as well?

If it had been worded the other way around the sexism card would have been played in blogs etc yet, and I don't use social media so may simply not see it, but never see any meaningfull discussions about sexism against men.
    Is your point, that it's sexist to suggest men don't collect the water too? Isn't it a cultural thing, that the women basically are seen as the ones who are 'meant' to go fetch the water for the home? I think that's probably why it talks about women.

That's because there are none.

I work in an office full of women. It's a known joke that every time there's a delivery of printed or office equipment, it's up to me to lift them into the storage room because "I'm a man". Likewise, earlier this week we met a bunch of new colleagues and afterwards in a room of 7 I was the only guy and the lassies were happily discussing who the fittest was, who they'd **** given half a chance etc etc.

I hasten to add, I'm well aware of the historically privileged position that white, heterosexual men have been accorded and neither of the above "examples" bother me in the slightest because life is far too short and they're not exactly damaging.

That said, imagine if all the conversations that go on in the workplace amongst women the world over about their male colleagues had the gender roles reversed at the same level of crudity - there'd be (and quite often is) outrage and sackings for sexual harassment (or whatever) every day.

If we employed a secretary and every time the door went I said "you get that, you're a women with great tits" I'd have HR bending my ear in 2 seconds flat.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 02-03-2017 at 03:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    That's because there are none.

I work in an office full of women. It's a known joke that every time there's a delivery of printed or office equipment, it's up to me to lift them into the storage room because "I'm a man". Likewise, earlier this week we met a bunch of new colleagues and afterwards in a room of 7 I was the only guy and the lassies were happily discussing who the fittest was, who they'd **** given half a change etc etc.

I hasten to add, I'm well aware of the historically privileged position that white, heterosexual men have been accorded and neither of the above "examples" bother me in the slightest because life is far too short and they're not exactly damaging.

That said, imagine if all the conversations that go on in the workplace amongst women the world over about their male colleagues had the gender roles reversed at the same level of crudity - there'd be (and quite often is) outrage and sackings for sexual harassment (or whatever) every day.

If we employed a secretary and every time the door went I said "you get that, you're a women with great tits" I'd have HR bending my ear in 2 seconds flat.
    It's not just with sexism, it's with all the "ism's".
    Factions rattle the cage about how they are persecuted yet they themselves can be the worst offenders.
    No need to point any fingures, cos they're all at it. The above is a perfect example.

Personally, I'd rather someone had the freedom of speech to call me whatever they want because at least I know what they are thinking rather than have them build up an internal pressure cooker of resentment.

That's just my opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I don't know the genuine answer to that, but in all the charity videos that get blasted out for Red Nose Day, Sport Relief, Children in Need etc, it only ever seems to be the women & children that gather water.

I do agree there seems to be a sexist bias in advertising, menstruating women tackling a sky dive whilst stay at home dads struggle to separate whites from coloureds washes, but that doesn't seem to be as damaging as much as the REAL white male privilege many of us are alleged to enjoy day in, day out.
    It also happens when referring to white people. In today's evening news for example there is a bit about a pea and mayo pizza. It mentioned in the article that several rolled commened that the making of the pizza was 'the whitest thing they have seen'. Now if we were to insert another skin colour in there, the media would have commendemned it as being a racist comment.

Fwiw, I am not particularly fazed, but when there are instances where for example we can't sing ba ba black sheep anymore, it also seems a bit like double standards.
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 02-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member

Junk

My partner has every bank statement, electricity bill receipt etc going back 16 years in our house stuffed in drawers. Just in case she need to check that her account is ok and to prove she had paid every bill.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    My partner has every bank statement, electricity bill receipt etc going back 16 years in our house stuffed in drawers. Just in case she need to check that her account is ok and to prove she had paid every bill.
    Quite right, mine are in the loft though

People who give their cars human names.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Kids who call their parents by their first names instead of Mum & Dad. It comes over as disrespectful.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The term legend being applied to players not worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The term legend being applied to players not worthy.
    That and being applied to players/managers who haven't even been at Hibs. Recently on .Net I have seen Warburton, Cathro and Albert Kidd described as Hibs legends. Not in my eyes.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    That and being applied to players/managers who haven't even been at Hibs. Recently on .Net I have seen Warburton, Cathro and Albert Kidd described as Hibs legends. Not in my eyes.
    I think that's just an error.

Warburton's definitely not a Hibs legend.

I'm 100% confident he's a fanny
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    Albert Kidd is right up there with the other Hibs legends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Kids who call their parents by their first names instead of Mum & Dad. It comes over as disrespectful.
    Generally, I would agree with you, but I know a few examples of this and, actually, in these cases it is the parents who encouraged it.