hibs.net Messageboard

Page 86 of 429 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 12841

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who are constantly late for meetings then always have an excuse.
    It's bollox most of the time, they are late because they couldn't be ersed to make plans to ensure they arrive on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    The folk who are late but turn up with a coffee so have managed to get to the canteen.
    Similar to meetings is training sessions, I have a rule, once I have started my introduction you ain't getting in and will have to attend another session. Pissed many a person off but they turn up on time for the next one.

Oh hell yes!!!

same with the people who turn up late stinking of fag smoke, had time for that.

Ive even had people show up late to meetings and training sessions with hot food in their hand, which they've had time to go and get. Usually the smirk comes off their face when told they're not eating it during the meeting/session.

2. Log in to remove the advert

People (mainly Jambos) who are trying to get Cathro removed as Hearts manager!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    People that either are totally unaware or really couldn't care less as to how their actions affect others.

Hand luggage too big
    Holding up bus queue looking for change
    Stopping car in a place that causes massive disruption to flow of traffic
    The list is endless, there really are some ignorant tossers in this world.
    Indeed. Guy tonight stopped on a mini roundabout to chat to pedestrians. Originally thought breakdown how sad to what a far kin duck....
    This morning in the snow someone decided to attempt to switch lanes on the roundabout at Hermiston right in front of me. While I hit the brakes I slid on. How we never hit Gord only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Cars that don't let you join the motorway easily by either refusing to move to the other lane or speed up to make sure they're ahead of you when you join from the slip road.

On a completely separate note, when people tempt fate. "I love how we've got a goalie that doesn't make mistakes". I just about got up and left the ground when I heard that sentence 5 minutes in last night, pleased I never but the point still stands.
    Did this last night with my son did the normal night routine and it went better than it usually does, cue me saying "well that went well he's sleeping soundly now" to which the baby monitor suddenly sprang into life with a screech that can only be described as a wailing banshee.

Cars that don't let you join the motorway easily by either refusing to move to the other lane or speed up to make sure they're ahead of you when you join from the slip road.

On a completely separate note, when people tempt fate. "I love how we've got a goalie that doesn't make mistakes". I just about got up and left the ground when I heard that sentence 5 minutes in last night, pleased I never but the point still stands.
    Drivers who expect me to move into the right hand lane or just about stop to let them in when they join from sliproad.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Drivers who expect me to move into the right hand lane or just about stop to let them in when they join from sliproad.

I mentioned that a few pages ago.

If you joining from a slip road , you should be giving way.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

I mentioned that a few pages ago.

If you joining from a slip road , you should be giving way.
    You'll need to educate me here.

I'm on the slip road getting up to speed of the rest of the traffic, you then don't allow me on the motor way as i need to give way to you, I then run out of slip road to get back up to speed? Surely that's more dangerous than you moving across a lane (if empty) or slowing down slightly to allow me to join?

I've always assumed that as I'm effectively merging on to the motorway there is an onus on the cars there to allow me on to the road. Is that not the case?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I'm on the slip road getting up to speed of the rest of the traffic, you then don't allow me on the motor way as i need to give way to you, I then run out of slip road to get back up to speed? Surely that's more dangerous than you moving across a lane (if empty) or slowing down slightly to allow me to join?

I've always assumed that as I'm effectively merging on to the motorway there is an onus on the cars there to allow me on to the road. Is that not the case?
    Not as far as I understand however, IMO drivers on both roads should use common sense and anticipate what's coming.
    It only takes one selfish (or naive) idiot to cause chaos on in these situations. I'm sure we've all seen them on the slip road and on the main road.

I'll always allow you to go in front of me, as long as I don't have to perform an emergency stop. Foot off accelerator and in you go but if you try and force your way into the side of me i'm not moving over into the path of faster moving traffic.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I'll always allow you to go in front of me, as long as I don't have to perform an emergency stop. Foot off accelerator and in you go but if you try and force your way into the side of me i'm not moving over into the path of faster moving traffic.
    I'm pretty much the same, always aware of slip road and traffic approaching on it, will change lanes to let you in if I can or slow down enough to give you space to merge.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

You are obviously going too fast if you run out of slip road.

I would move over btw.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Coaching Staff
    Agree it is some common sense because those that move slowly out to the right to let someone in from the slip but force the much faster moving traffic on the right to put the brakes on are probably causing more issues. Only move over if it is free.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

No it's not and I'm always surprised when I hear drivers say this. Remember, you have a license to drive, it's up to you to ensure you're up to speed (excuse the pun) with the rules.
    Like others have said, if I see a vehicle joining I'll try my best to regulate my speed so they can merge, but I won't accelerate out the way and I won't drop anchor either,,,,I'll either maintain my speed (which is better for those joining) or I'll come off the gas to allow a gap to develop up front.
    Ultimately, it's up to the vehicle joining to get up to the prevailing speed of others around, as quickly & safely as possible, and merge like a zipper.

Whilst we're on driving pet peeves, folk that don't understand road signs or carriageway speed limits. Example, A8 road from RBS to Ratho Station. It's signed either direction with National Speed limit signs. Many drivers don't know what this means so sit in the outside lane holding others up either through ignorance or stubbornness. I'm not necessarily in a hurry all the time, but if you can't demonstrate your understanding of speed limits then perhaps you should hang your keys up

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    FFS! The question i asked was what is the difference between being married or being in a civil partnership. Nothing to do with sexual orientation. The couple who are wanting this say marriage doesn't "fit" for them, but civil partnership does.
    The difference is its easier to dissolve a civil partnership than go through divorce.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Peeps that sit in the outside Lane on the Calder road, to stay out the bus lane, and drive at 30, 10 mph below the speed limit .... then toot their horn as you drift past on the inside at 38 mph 2 mph LESS than the speed limit (prob even less in reality).

At 4am.... THERE IS NO BUS LANE AT THAT TIME OF DAY!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    No it's not and I'm always surprised when I hear drivers say this. Remember, you have a license to drive, it's up to you to ensure you're up to speed (excuse the pun) with the rules.
    Like others have said, if I see a vehicle joining I'll try my best to regulate my speed so they can merge, but I won't accelerate out the way and I won't drop anchor either,,,,I'll either maintain my speed (which is better for those joining) or I'll come off the gas to allow a gap to develop up front.
    Ultimately, it's up to the vehicle joining to get up to the prevailing speed of others around, as quickly & safely as possible, and merge like a zipper.

Whilst we're on driving pet peeves, folk that don't understand road signs or carriageway speed limits. Example, A8 road from RBS to Ratho Station. It's signed either direction with National Speed limit signs. Many drivers don't know what this means so sit in the outside lane holding others up either through ignorance or stubbornness. I'm not necessarily in a hurry all the time, but if you can't demonstrate your understanding of speed limits then perhaps you should hang your keys up
    70mph

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Re the the motorway merging bit... this thread really shows up the issue.

One guy mentions speeding up to match the main road speed (for me the least impacting on those already on the motorway if they speed up a bit/ slow down a bit to increase any gap)

Then another mentions if you can't slow down (stop?) Before the merge Lane ends then you're in the wrong.

If I was in the motorway I'd much rather have someone join at around the same speed as me. I can't see any benefit of having someone joining at very low speed??

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jabis View Post
    70mph
    10 points to Gryffindor
    Maybe it's just me, but many folk don't know this, even my sister-in-law who drives in that way every day from Broxburn. When I told her it was akin to me saying the world is not flat!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

By that I assume you mean a white circle with a black diagonal?
    That means 60mph max as far as I know.
    Am I correct? I await responses from folk who have a higher knowledge of road signs than myself
    (Jabis is quoting 70 mph which is correct if the sign says 70mph).

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    That means 60mph max as far as I know. (Jabis is quoting 70 mph which is correct if the sign says 70mph).
    Am I correct? I await responses from folk who have a higher knowledge of road signs than myself.
    70 if it's a dual carriageway and you're driving a car

Quote Originally Posted by liscious_hibs View Post
    The difference is its easier to dissolve a civil partnership than go through divorce.

Interesting. In what way?

Interesting. In what way?
    I dunno, that's what I got told when I asked a while ago about what the difference and just believed it haha might have been winding me up now that I think about it...

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Am I correct? I await responses from folk who have a higher knowledge of road signs than myself
    70 on a dual carriageway in car
    60 on single carriageway in car

And this is the rub, all drivers should know the speed limit for the road they are on, and understand the signage on the road.
    National speed limit, on a dual carriageway, for a standard car, is 70mph.
    Regarding the A8, nobody should be forced or harried in to driving faster than they're comfortable, but I've been behind folk driving at anything from 40 up to 60/70. I've had verbals for going "too fast" and when I explain the speed limit to them they are in denial.
    Absolute fact is, if you can't demonstrate knowledge of the speed limit (best way is to drive just under it, if it is safe) then an examiner can fail you during a driving test.

I dunno, that's what I got told when I asked a while ago about what the difference and just believed it haha might have been winding me up now that I think about it...

O think

I think someone's pulling your leg. It was a piece of piss when i got divorced - wait a year, complete a form, pay your money - nae bother.

I think someone's pulling your leg. It was a piece of piss when i got divorced - wait a year, complete a form, pay your money - nae bother.
    I think it was my mum that told me that. Think it's just cause her divorce took 2 years cause he wouldni sign 😂 never been married (will be soon) so not something I've ever really researched. Good to know it doesn't take long though... y know... just in case ;)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    When you use a bus lane within the permitted times and folk give absolute evils as if you've just murdered somebody. If they look at the signs they will see they can use them too.

Baths.

My shower room is getting done so I've had to use the bath. Honestly, what is the point?

You get in it, lie back and your knees are sticking out. You get your knees submerged and your back is arched awkwardly as you try and half support you upper body.

Once you get comfortablish you think "what am I supposed to be doing?" When you're in the shower it's pretty obvious but it's as if you're just wallowing in your own muck. The minute you try washing or shampooing anything the water turns manky.

It's for children or girls who get a bit tipsy and want things like candles surrounding them. Pointless waste of space and is getting ripped out if I have my way.

Children under the age of 9 on aeroplanes.