hibs.net Messageboard

Page 84 of 427 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 12804

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a load of *****. It's people making a big noise about something that's not a big deal.

Ooooh but I want to celebrate and make official our hetro relationship, but I don't believe in marriage. We don't want to be a traditional husband/wife, we just want recognition that our partnership is real. Just get ****ing married but don't call yourself a husband or wife. Stop being a pain in the arse.
    So you can have a civil partnership if you are lgbt,but not if you are straight. Is that not treating people differently?

Let's be honest I don't care for a civil partnership myself but think it is a bit crap for people that do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    So you can have a civil partnership if you are lgbt,but not if you are straight. Is that not treating people differently?

Let's be honest I don't care for a civil partnership myself but think it is a bit crap for people that do.
    So what? Are we genuinely now in a society where you absolutely cannot, must not, treat people differently under any circumstances. Life isn't always fair. If something stops people being able to lead happy and healthy lives then by all means, protest, go to court, change things. This just doesn't do that though. It's just people being awkward and annoying.

It's all a bit, "this isnae fair, they can do something that I cannae". Just get over yourselves for **** sake.

So what? Are we genuinely now in a society where you absolutely cannot, must not, treat people differently under any circumstances. Life isn't always fair. If something stops people being able to lead happy and healthy lives then by all means, protest, go to court, change things. This just doesn't do that though. It's just people being awkward and annoying.

It's all a bit, "this isnae fair, they can do something that I cannae". Just get over yourselves for **** sake.
    But the vestiges of inequality that the term "marriage" brings just don't "fit" how they see their "roles" maaaaaaaaaan.

I agree with you entirely. Folk looking to kick up a fuss and get in the papers.

As if, upon getting married, the man is going to chain the wife to the kitchen counter and take possession of all her worldy goods and assets, or whatever it is about marriage that these attention seekers feel doesn't "fit" with them.

Heehaw changes when you get married from that point of view, assuming you're a normal human being in a healthy relationship in the first place. It's an awesome big party where everyone puts on their gladrags, gets pished and dances, and there's some nice words in there at the beginning.

Legal stuff etc I get (and that's why everyone, regardless of gender, can quite rightly get ****ing married in the UK now - save for those unfortunate enough to be NI obviously) but this court case is pure "look at me" posturing IMO.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 21-02-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Surely getting rained on in a beer garden is more annoying than this stuff?

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    It's a load of *****. It's people making a big noise about something that's not a big deal.

Ooooh but I want to celebrate and make official our hetro relationship, but I don't believe in marriage. We don't want to be a traditional husband/wife, we just want recognition that our partnership is real. Just get ****ing married but don't call yourself a husband or wife. Stop being a pain in the arse.
    This would be the solution to so many of the 'peeves' on this thread.

PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

I don't think it was 'ourselves' that started the 'its not fair' argument though was it?

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Diverted flights .
    Trying to get to Gibraltar and have been told that we are diverting to Malaga. Waited until everyone was onboard before they told us.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Surely getting rained on in a beer garden is more annoying than this stuff?
    Absolutley.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    I don't think it was 'ourselves' that started the 'its not fair' argument though was it?
    But again...so what? That's just moving it on from a "it's no fair, they're allowed to, but I'm no" argument to "but they started it".

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    A (hetro) couple who have lived together for years, with or without kids, but have decided against marriage are not legally recognised as next of kin. This is the case for my sister and her bloke, they've been together for 35 years and have 3 grown up kids.

That's just one difference.

As I understand it, folk who have declared an interest in having a heterosexual civil partnership don't want to get married. However, they want the legal and financial protection (and potential tax benefits) that civil partnership allows them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The bottom line is there is currently a desirable legal/financial protection route available to gay couples, which is not available to heterosexual couples. I think that, as a basic principle, is wrong and it appears the court agreed today.

But again...so what? That's just moving it on from a "it's no fair, they're allowed to, but I'm no" argument to "but they started it".
    If we're going to do something then do it properly. Equality should be just that.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    If two people want to have a civil partnership they should be allowed to irrespective of their sex/or whatever.
    "The Law is an ass". It always has been.

What's the point in a civil partnership when same sex marriage is now allowed?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    As I understand it, folk who have declared an interest in having a heterosexual civil partnership don't want to get married. However, they want the legal and financial protection (and potential tax benefits) that civil partnership allows them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The bottom line is there is currently a desirable legal/financial protection route available to gay couples, which is not available to heterosexual couples. I think that, as a basic principle, is wrong and it appears the court agreed today.
    I'm not saying there's anything "wrong with it" as such. I am saying that going to court in order to get the right to have a civil partnership, which gives you the same rights as a married couple, is completely unnecessary. You are already allowed to get married, just do that. Saying that marriage "isn't for you" but a civil partnership is, is just bollocks.

The legal/financial protection available to gay couples is available to hetro couples. It's called marriage.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    A (hetro) couple who have lived together for years, with or without kids, but have decided against marriage are not legally recognised as next of kin. This is the case for my sister and her bloke, they've been together for 35 years and have 3 grown up kids.

That's just one difference.
    But they can get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Was it not a sort of half measure before same sex marriage was legalised? Now that the elegal status exists, they can't really do away with it.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Because some people are want to be awkward.

lyonhibs makes the point well -

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    But the vestiges of inequality that the term "marriage" brings just "fit" how they see their "roles" maaaaaaaaaan.

I agree with you entirely. Folk looking to kick up a fuss and get in the papers.

As if, upon getting married, the man is going to chain the wife to the kitchen counter and take possession of all her worldy goods and assets, or whatever it is about marriage that these attention seekers feel doesn't "fit" with them.

Heehaw changes when you get married from that point of view, assuming you're a normal human being in a healthy relationship in the first place. It's an awesome big party where everyone puts on their gladrags, gets pished and dances, and there's some nice words in there at the beginning.

Legal stuff etc I get (and that's why everyone, regardless of gender, can quite rightly get ****ing married in the UK now - save for those unfortunate enough to be NI obviously) but this court case is pure "look at me" posturing IMO.

But not everyone wants to. Same sex couples have a choice which isn't available to hetro couples. That's not equality as I understand it.

Because some people are want to be awkward.

lyonhibs makes the point well -
    It's nothing to do with being awkward.

Gamer IDs

But not everyone wants to. Same sex couples have a choice which isn't available to hetro couples. That's not equality as I understand it.
    Life isn't equal. Not everything has to be. We still live (well I do, not you) in a country that has a Royal Family, I'd like to be King for a bit, I can't, it's not fair. I'll just get on with my life instead of greeting about it though.

It's nothing to do with being awkward.
    I say it is.

So can gay couples (in most jurisdictions). So why do they have the option but hetero couples don't?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    So can gay couples (in most jurisdictions). So why do they have the option but hetero couples don't?
    Because instead of just saying right from the outset that gay couples could get married, which they should have done, civil partnership was introduced.

Life isn't equal. Not everything has to be. We still live (well I do, not you) in a country that has a Royal Family, I'd like to be King for a bit, I can't, it's not fair. I'll just get on with my life instead of greeting about it though.
    Not a very good comparison is it? The government of the day don't decide who the monarch is - they do impose laws though.

I say it is.
    Isn't!

Because instead of just saying right from the outset that gay couples could get married, which they should have done, civil partnership was introduced.
    ​That's a different argument, though it probably served as a softener before going the full same sex marriage hog.

Gamer IDs

Not a very good comparison is it? The government of the day don't decide who the monarch is - they do impose laws though.
    It's not a direct comparison, it's merely pointing out that sometimes life isn't fair.

Isn't!

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    That was me on Friday last week. From landing in Dubai, I had 20 mins for the plane to taxi to the gate, then for them to let the posh seat folk out first, then I had to Ninja Warrior my way through the rest of the cattle class, and then run what seemed like 10 miles, to get to my connecting flight in time. It's a big airport.

Just made it.

I encountered a big airport peeve that day too. We check in at the desk, where they remind me I'll need my departure card, no problem, got it sorted. Through security, where there are posters in various languages, with pictures, "remember you need your departure card". No problem, got it ready. Then down the escalator to passport control bit, big sign again at the top of the escalator, "remember you need your departure card". Then again at the bottom of the escalator. So you wait in the queue, get almost to the front, then the family of 6 in front of you are shocked to find out they need to complete a departure card to get through. But, on top of that, they're ****ing idiots who can barely hold a pen. I'd have made them go to the back of the queue and fill them out, but they all just block everyone, holding everyone up. Arse. Holes.
    Absolutely................air travel is a complete pain in the neck................just a succession of queues - check in , security , boarding , exiting the plane , passport control. It's a necessary evil if I'm going on holiday.......if I'm going to London for work i'll take the train.

Just get hitched in a registry office. Same thing, no?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I say it is.
    You're just being awkward now.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Absolutely................air travel is a complete pain in the neck................just a succession of queues - check in , security , boarding , exiting the plane , passport control. It's a necessary evil if I'm going on holiday.......if I'm going to London for work i'll take the train.

Couple of air travel peeves:

- people who don't check luggage in but board with sometimes 3 pieces of very large hand luggage that they expect to put in the overhead lockers, then get arsey with the cabin crew who are trying to help them (when they should really tell them to gtf with that volume of hand luggage)

- aforementioned people with lots of/huge hand luggage who never seem to get challenged at check in that their hand luggage is too big or too many

- folk who are too busy buying as much duty free as possible and make the plane late in leaving because they can't get to the gate in a timely manner