hibs.net Messageboard

Page 82 of 425 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The confusion folk still have over the descriptions of coloured or black and the folk that jump on them labelling them if they get it wrong.
    Good shout.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    In the same vein ....tribuneral. It's a tribunal.
    I take it you mean with regard to pronunciation (rather than anyone actually spelling it that way). I do that almost every time I use the word, even when I know I'm about to say it wrong. I think it's a mental block of some kind. It wouldn't be so bad but I often deal with employment tribunals for work, so it comes up regularly!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I take it you mean with regard to pronunciation (rather than anyone actually spelling it that way). I do that almost every time I use the word, even when I know I'm about to say it wrong. I think it's a mental block of some kind. It wouldn't be so bad but I often deal with employment tribunals for work, so it comes up regularly!
    Unfortunately no. Tribunerals all over the Warburton resigns thread

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Unfortunately no. Tribunerals all over the Warburton resigns thread
    Maybe it's a just mental cross-wire fault associating it with 'funeral'?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Maybe it's a just mental cross-wire fault associating it with 'funeral'?
    Well that's buried that theory.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Pubs that stink of bleach (or whatever they use to clean the floor) when you go in at lunchtime.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who stop for a chat at a Zebra crossing but don't actually want to cross the road.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Talking about pronunciation... Plice instead of pOlice. Libry instead of librARy. Febry instead of FebRUAry. Fird instead of third

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Talking about pronunciation... Plice instead of pOlice. Libry instead of librARy. Febry instead of FebRUAry. Fird instead of third
    Breggzit instead of Brexit.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I think for a region that says dinnae instead of don't we might need to step down from our linguistic high horse.

Expresso...

Espresso

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I think for a region that says dinnae instead of don't we might need to step down from our linguistic high horse.
    Dinnae is just Scots for don't.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Dinnae is just Scots for don't.
    My point is how did that come about? It's not gaelic so it has to be a mispronunciation of something else.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    People that add extra vowels to words.

Walking into a shop behind a woman talking unbelievably loud on her phone and she says "aye, am just gaun intae Farumfoods"

Also people that talk loudly on the phone full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    My point is how did that come about? It's not gaelic so it has to be a mispronunciation of something else.
    Thread hijack
    Which makes it so interesting phonetic change and it's either organic or inorganic the question is, is it the later or the former. First usage is 1700. You are quite right however it is a mispronunciation of the word don't most likely.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Probably been covered already, but merging traffic at roadworks. Don't mind letting a few in leading up to the single lane but the few who have to go right to the last minute and barge in makes my blood boil. Also when you let someone in and they then go on a mission to prevent anyone else get in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Thread hijack
    Which makes it so interesting phonetic change and it's either organic or inorganic the question is, is it the later or the former. First usage is 1700. You are quite right however it is a mispronunciation of the word don't most likely.
    Not sure. 100 miles south and they are all saying divent. As in divent dae that man.

People who think that their age and long time watching Hibs means everything they say is borne from their wisdom of all things Hibs. Younger folk can't possibly understand so should be dismissed as inferior.

People who think that their age and long time watching Hibs means everything they say is borne from their wisdom of all things Hibs. Younger folk can't possibly understand so should be dismissed as inferior.
    That used to be a massive annoyance to me when I was younger. Now I look at it differently

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That used to be a massive annoyance to me when I was younger. Now I look at it differently
    Maybe I might too when I get older ;-)

Not sure. 100 miles south and they are all saying divent. As in divent dae that man.
    Ye mean ye dinna ken?

Tee Hee! I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Ye mean ye dinna ken?

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    This isn't a pet peeve, but is an example of the ignorance/selfishness of some people.

I walked past a man who appeared to be sleeping outside a shopfront on Leith Street this morning. I was half asleep, so it was only after I'd walked a little further on that I realised there had been a small pile of sick on the pavement next to his mouth. I walked back to check on him and see if I could do anything to help. Whilst I was crouched down next to him, trying to establish if he was OK, I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I turned/looked up to see a woman standing there and I expected to hear her offer to help in some way, or check on the man's welfare. Instead she said, "do you know if I can park here?" It was probably the closest I have ever been to being genuinely dumbfounded, so I can't actually recall what I said, but she followed it up with, "well where can I park around here then?"

This happened around seven hours ago and I feel like I've hardly done any work today, as the combination of sadness and anger keep breaking my concentration. I know this probably doesn't belong on this thread, but I had to vent it somewhere in the hope it may help me avoid the sack.

@hibs.net private member
    Traffic wardens.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Traffic wardens.
    People who have a problem with traffic wardens.

Don't park where you're no supposed to and they're fine.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Don't park where you're no supposed to or they'll fine.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    This isn't a pet peeve, but is an example of the ignorance/selfishness of some people.

I walked past a man who appeared to be sleeping outside a shopfront on Leith Street this morning. I was half asleep, so it was only after I'd walked a little further on that I realised there had been a small pile of sick on the pavement next to his mouth. I walked back to check on him and see if I could do anything to help. Whilst I was crouched down next to him, trying to establish if he was OK, I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I turned/looked up to see a woman standing there and I expected to hear her offer to help in some way, or check on the man's welfare. Instead she said, "do you know if I can park here?" It was probably the closest I have ever been to being genuinely dumbfounded, so I can't actually recall what I said, but she followed it up with, "well where can I park around here then?"

This happened around seven hours ago and I feel like I've hardly done any work today, as the combination of sadness and anger keep breaking my concentration. I know this probably doesn't belong on this thread, but I had to vent it somewhere in the hope it may help me avoid the sack.
    You are a good man, same thing happened to me a while back,wee old man was lying at the side door of the Volly Arms, not moving, it was about half 7 in the morning, I stopped to check he was ok, ended up having to call an ambulance, they managed to get him to hospital, few days later I was in my local shop and asked if my pal Hussain knew the guy as I had been wondering how he was

Turns out he did, the old boy had had a triple bypass a few weeks before and had keeled over on the way to get a paper, turns out about 3 or 4 people had just wandered right past him including someone who actually stepped over him before I turned up, some people are absolute welts
    Last edited by Mon Dieu4; 16-02-2017 at 05:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Not always - I asked one a question this morning and I'd imagine the abruptness of his tone just draws arguments. He was clearly looking for a pagger.

I drive about at night/ early morning and see people in that state all the time. I always check they are breathing as I couldn't live with myself if I had walked past someone needing medical attention.

Last Sunday I was driving along Nicholson Street at about 10pm and saw a figure slumped in the doorway of a big yellow joke/costume shop. As I got closer I could make out that he was wearing one of those clown wigs, which looked bizarre given the shop he was outside. Eventually, I got close enough to see that he was wearing, no word of a lie, one of those half white/half maroon wigs and a Hearts top. I thought "mmm naw" and just drove on.

P.s. Don't worry, I could see he was breathing, just really drunk. :-D