hibs.net Messageboard

Page 81 of 427 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 12804

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Re: the being in work if ill. It really depends what you are ill with and where you work. A sniffle in an office shouldn't stop you from doing your work. Other thing is some folk don't get paid when off ill, like me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely it is totally dependent on what you are sick with?
    If you've got an in-grown toe nail or a mild headache - in you go. If you have the flu, the measles, or bubonic plague ... maybe you should just stay home.
    Yes, exactly.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Probably covered elsewhere but folk who don't think rules for the benefit of everyone should apply to them.

School run is the worst for it, the kids' school has a small car park so they've tried a few solutions to make it work for as many people as possible because folk were parking really badly.

This meant putting double yellow lines down at the end of tires and at the zebra crossings (because people were ignorant enough to park over a zebra crossing at a primary school.) and making some of the access roads limited to buses and traffic for the disabled school beside the primary.

They also put a drop off zone in so people could let the kids out with needing to park up.

They also put a one way system in place for parents leaving the playground on foot after doing the kids off, this was put in place after a couple of accidents involving kids when parents were trying to push through as kids were going into classes in their lines.

So we still have cars parked on double yellow lines at the zebra crossing, people fill up the drop of zone by parking in it, people still use the disabled access road, and folk push past the kids against the one way system.

One woman walks past 'no dogs' signs to bring her dog into the playground.

Think it's the fact that the 'rules' are there for the kids that annoys me most that parents ignore them.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Probably covered elsewhere but folk who don't think rules for the benefit of everyone should apply to them.

School run is the worst for it, the kids' school has a small car park so they've tried a few solutions to make it work for as many people as possible because folk were parking really badly.

This meant putting double yellow lines down at the end of tires and at the zebra crossings (because people were ignorant enough to park over a zebra crossing at a primary school.) and making some of the access roads limited to buses and traffic for the disabled school beside the primary.

They also put a drop off zone in so people could let the kids out with needing to park up.

They also put a one way system in place for parents leaving the playground on foot after doing the kids off, this was put in place after a couple of accidents involving kids when parents were trying to push through as kids were going into classes in their lines.

So we still have cars parked on double yellow lines at the zebra crossing, people fill up the drop of zone by parking in it, people still use the disabled access road, and folk push past the kids against the one way system.

Think it's the fact that the 'rules' are there for the kids that annoys me most that parents ignore them.
    Parents picking up their kids are amongst the most ignorant people out there. I was told by a policewoman once that parents parking on the yellow zigzag lines outside a school would end up with a custodial sentence if a kid was to run out from behind their car and get hit by another car, but everyday you see parents do it. The road outside my daughters school is closed for around an hour in the morning and the same in the afternoon, but parents often ignore this despite the fact that it's done for the safety of their children.

United we stand here....

Folk that don't understand escalator etiquette at train stations!!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Folk that insist on barging/running up or down and escalator at a train station when there is an adjacent staircase empty!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Folk that insist on barging/running up or down and escalator at a train station when there is an adjacent staircase empty!
    This. It's not a training machine.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This. It's not a training machine.
    Very punny.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for raising the anti social issue of indiscriminate discarding bags of dog poo, again, but it caused a good laugh this morning, when playing golf at Peebles. There's been a big increase in the number of dog walkers there recently and the discarded poo bag problem is rife. My playing partner and I were chatting about this when I came across a well filled bag of crap in the middle of the thirteenth fairway. I shouted over " Here's another bag of crap ........... they should be shot ........ ". A loud female voice came from the trees lining the fairway, " It wisnae me." " Nah, it's definitely dog's crap. " I replied.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Loads of those issues at my boys school too. I walk him to school most mornings and something that happens at least once a week on the really narrow pavements nearby is some ignorant twat or their offspring chucking the door of their parked vehicle open just as we're about to pass, trapping us inbetween car and hedge. They usually don't seem too bothered either. I'd be absolutely mortified if I accidentally did that to a parent and their 6 year old.

There's certainly no shortage of ignorant ****ers over here.
    Last edited by Mr White; 09-02-2017 at 07:48 PM.

This upward inflection that young people use when they talk.

I've recently noticed my son doing it and I don't want to check it as I don't want to knock him. It's not like he does it all the time and it's only really when he's describing or explaining something but it's bloody annoying.

I then noticed that it's pretty much everywhere. Adults that he looks up to in real life and ones he watches on the TV use this "upspeak" (especially these YouTubers) so it's no wonder. I've even noticed some female relatives speaking like that, which I definitely can't say anything about.

When I was young the only people who spoke like that were Australians and dumb American girls on the TV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This upward inflection that young people use when they talk.

I've recently noticed my son doing it and I don't want to check it as I don't want to knock him. It's not like he does it all the time and it's only really when he's describing or explaining something but it's bloody annoying.

I then noticed that it's pretty much everywhere. Adults that he looks up to in real life and ones he watches on the TV use this "upspeak" (especially these YouTubers) so it's no wonder. I've even noticed some female relatives speaking like that, which I definitely can't say anything about.

When I was young the only people who spoke like that were Australians and dumb American girls on the TV.
    AQI ....... Australian Questioning Intonation. Gets up my goat ......... and don't get me started about starting a sentence with 'so'.

When I watch a programme about life in the sixties and they have a young plookie celeb on telling how it was then.
    FFS, these kids' parents were still in poopypants in the sixties.
    Why don't they interview the people who were actually THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    When I watch a programme about life in the sixties and they have a young plookie celeb on telling how it was then.
    FFS, these kids' parents were still in poopypants in the sixties.
    Why don't they interview the people who were actually THERE!
    Because I'm led to believe that it was such a wild time that if you can remember it then you definitely weren't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Because I'm led to believe that it was such a wild time that if you can remember it then you definitely weren't there?
    Aye, so they say.

Hoggers.
    e.g. People who hog the showers, one-armed bandit, the last cigarette, microphone, dance floor, road, footpath, chocolates, the ba', etc...

Folk who can't walk in a straightish line along a pavement.

Folk who think 'surely' is spelt "s h I r l e y".

I know some people do it to be funny but it happens too often on this forum for that to always be the case.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    Folk who think 'surely' is spelt "s h I r l e y".

I know some people do it to be funny but it happens too often on this forum for that to always be the case.
    ..... and in the same vein, folk who say 'definately' with the emphasis on the 'a' instead of 'definitely'.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    In the same vein ....tribuneral. It's a tribunal.

I might as well add que instead of queue, its not difficult.

@hibs.net private member
    It's vs its

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Cmon guys . Folk post on their phones most of the time. It takes me ages to correct spelling when I'm on the phone.

Most of the time when I try to correct , the word goes red (not spelling red but a red block thing) the when I try to type the word it disappears
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Getting the 4am train out of the city whilst blootered only to find you have to wait 90 mins for a taxi and decide to walk home over the fields the last 5km at -4C and arriving home sober.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Getting the 4am train out of the city whilst blootered only to find you have to wait 90 mins for a taxi and decide to walk home over the fields the last 5km at -4C and arriving home sober.
    I've walked myself sober a few times :
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Cmon guys . Folk post on their phones most of the time. It takes me ages to correct spelling when I'm on the phone.

Most of the time when I try to correct , the word goes red (not spelling red but a red block thing) the when I try to type the word it disappears
    Agreed - auto correct is a nightmare.

its vs it's isn't a spelling mistake though

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    ..... and in the same vein, folk who say 'definately' with the emphasis on the 'a' instead of 'definitely'.
    That's pretty colloquial now though isn't it? I think it began with Billy Connolly or some such back in the 70s.

What annoys me is the use of "went" as in he's went and skied it over the bar. Several radio pundits are culprits, notably Murdo Mcleod. It's just bad grammar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    That's pretty colloquial now though isn't it? I think it began with Billy Connolly or some such back in the 70s.

What annoys me is the use of "went" as in he's went and skied it over the bar. Several radio pundits are culprits, notably Murdo Mcleod. It's just bad grammar.
    You might have a point about it being colloquial but it's bloody annoying.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The confusion folk still have over the descriptions of coloured or black and the folk that jump on them labelling them if they get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I've walked myself sober a few times :
    Next time I'll get a carry-oot for the walk home.