hibs.net Messageboard

Page 80 of 424 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 12698

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wasnae lucky, it was easty.
    I think he's currently known as "far easty".

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Very good! :-)

Fixed hotel showers that seem to be aimed strictly at the "5 foot 7 and under" crowd, leaving any non-pygmies needing to do some tortuous chicken limbo to wash their hair.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This is a second rant at the increasingly wrong use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence, especially in a reply to a question. It appears I'm not the only person who cringes at this. I came across this bit from John Humphries, radio and TV presenter :

SO wrong! Why John Humphrys is in a rage at such a little word after it invades everyday speech
    The Today programme presenter declared war on the use of the word 'so'
    He is seeking to ban it from being used at the beginning of a sentence
    Mr Humphrys branded it a ‘noxious weed’ that invades everyday speech

With the task of informing the nation from his seat on the Today programme, John Humphrys’ language has reason to be precise.
    It may therefore be little surprise that the Radio 4 presenter, 71, is determined to hold the rest of the population to the same exacting standards.
    He is seeking to ban the word ‘so’ from being used at the beginning of a sentence, branding it ‘irritating’, ‘absurd’ and a ‘noxious weed’ that has invaded everyday speech.
    Writing in his column in Waitrose Weekend magazine, he said: ‘So I am beginning this sentence with a word that is so irritating when it’s used at the start of a sentence that I would understand if you were to rip out this column, screw it into a tight ball and hurl it at the radio the next time you hear my voice coming from it.
    'But better to horde your anger and unleash it against the growing band of linguistic vandals, who use this absurd construction routinely – especially when they are asked a question’.
    He blamed the rise of ‘so’ on bumbling academics who use it ‘perhaps to buy a bit of time when they’re not quite sure how to answer the question’. However, he lamented that: ‘Now the misplaced “so” has invaded everyday speech like some noxious weed in an untended garden’.

He can also count on the backing of Dr Bernard Lamb, president of the Queen’s English Society, who said: ‘I think [the use of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence] is a sign of someone who is not particularly fluent, it’s fulfilling the function of ‘ummm’ and ‘errrr’ and giving the person a bit longer. It’s not being used as a conjunction to join things up, which is how it should be used. I think someone started doing it and then other people have begun slavishly copying it, it becomes fashionable. It’s just carelessness, it doesn’t have any meaning when used this way’.
    He best never learn German and move to Saxony. Every sentence there starts with so or zsoooooooo.

@hibs.net private member

You Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This is a second rant at the increasingly wrong use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence, especially in a reply to a question. It appears I'm not the only person who cringes at this. I came across this bit from John Humphries, radio and TV presenter :

SO wrong! Why John Humphrys is in a rage at such a little word after it invades everyday speech
    The Today programme presenter declared war on the use of the word 'so'
    He is seeking to ban it from being used at the beginning of a sentence
    Mr Humphrys branded it a ‘noxious weed’ that invades everyday speech

With the task of informing the nation from his seat on the Today programme, John Humphrys’ language has reason to be precise.
    It may therefore be little surprise that the Radio 4 presenter, 71, is determined to hold the rest of the population to the same exacting standards.
    He is seeking to ban the word ‘so’ from being used at the beginning of a sentence, branding it ‘irritating’, ‘absurd’ and a ‘noxious weed’ that has invaded everyday speech.
    Writing in his column in Waitrose Weekend magazine, he said: ‘So I am beginning this sentence with a word that is so irritating when it’s used at the start of a sentence that I would understand if you were to rip out this column, screw it into a tight ball and hurl it at the radio the next time you hear my voice coming from it.
    'But better to horde your anger and unleash it against the growing band of linguistic vandals, who use this absurd construction routinely – especially when they are asked a question’.
    He blamed the rise of ‘so’ on bumbling academics who use it ‘perhaps to buy a bit of time when they’re not quite sure how to answer the question’. However, he lamented that: ‘Now the misplaced “so” has invaded everyday speech like some noxious weed in an untended garden’.

He can also count on the backing of Dr Bernard Lamb, president of the Queen’s English Society, who said: ‘I think [the use of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence] is a sign of someone who is not particularly fluent, it’s fulfilling the function of ‘ummm’ and ‘errrr’ and giving the person a bit longer. It’s not being used as a conjunction to join things up, which is how it should be used. I think someone started doing it and then other people have begun slavishly copying it, it becomes fashionable. It’s just carelessness, it doesn’t have any meaning when used this way’.
    My pet hate language wise is the gratuitous use of " you know " especially when I have asked a question. Does the you know mean that I agree with

what the person is saying, or does it mean that I should agree at that point in the conversation because if I say that I do not know/agree with what the person

is saying then I forego the right to question further and undoubted repeated use of you know.

When I have said that I do not know I am given the look of incredulity mixed with menace.

This includes the all conquering " you know what I mean " not posed in a questioning manner but as a fact. No, I don't know -- that is why I asked the question!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Guy on the train this afternoon who appeared to take a big strop because I sat in my reserved seat other side of table where he had all of his paperwork spread out.
    On a similar note, folk that get humpty when you point out to them that they are sitting in your reserved seat on the train, particularly when a table is involved.

On a similar note, folk that get humpty when you point out to them that they are sitting in your reserved seat on the train, particularly when a table is involved.
    Cocks

Usually get the response - "och just sit in another empty seat"

how about no, because someone is likely to come and ask me to shift out of their reserved seat. Try sitting in your own reserved seat, and if you don't have one, find an unreserved one.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Ah the good old reserved seat feud. I had ways of dealing with that on the day trains.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Or when the seat reservation system is not displaying and folk suddenly lose the ability to seat in the seat stated on their reservation.

Trainspotters

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Costa coffee lids from the dispenser on the coffee machines.
    Not matter how I try to take one , two always comes out and you then have to use your fingers to pull them apart rendering one of them useless .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Ditherers. Folk who can't make up their mind or hold up a queue while they chat/fart about/whatever, completely oblivious to the hold up they're causing.

Also, pointless signs. When you join the M90 from Dunfermline (Masterton junction) there's a turn onto the slip road which has a max speed limit of 30mph, and the road joins the M90 at a 40mph hour. The dynamic speed limit sign, positioned about ten yards after the 30mph sign, has a limit of 50mph. At no point on that section of the road can you do 50mph.

Also, on the road from the M90 to Crammond there's a dynamic speed limit, where the electronic sign signals when it's 50mph, just after that there's temporary signs that have been there for months and months to signal that it's the end of the roadworks and that the national speed limit applies - so you'd probably think that signals the end of the dynamic speed limit, but then a mile down the road there's another electronic sign to signal that it's still the dynamic speed limit that applies.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Costa coffee lids from the dispenser on the coffee machines.
    Not matter how I try to take one , two always comes out and you then have to use your fingers to pull them apart rendering one of them useless .
    Getting the position of the cup just right in those machines is an art as well. No two machines are the same! Lost count of the times I've thought it was lined up only to have to move the cup to stop a stream of coffee or milk tanning down the side of the cup.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Hahaha!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Ditherers. Folk who can't make up their mind or hold up a queue while they chat/fart about/whatever, completely oblivious to the hold up they're causing.

Also, pointless signs. When you join the M90 from Dunfermline (Masterton junction) there's a turn onto the slip road which has a max speed limit of 30mph, and the road joins the M90 at a 40mph hour. The dynamic speed limit sign, positioned about ten yards after the 30mph sign, has a limit of 50mph. At no point on that section of the road can you do 50mph.

Also, on the road from the M90 to Crammond there's a dynamic speed limit, where the electronic sign signals when it's 50mph, just after that there's temporary signs that have been there for months and months to signal that it's the end of the roadworks and that the national speed limit applies - so you'd probably think that signals the end of the dynamic speed limit, but then a mile down the road there's another electronic sign to signal that it's still the dynamic speed limit that applies.
    Ditters 100%

Irrelevant Signage 100% Especially when they say 'temp traffic lights ahead' and there's none + temp speed limit signs when the roadworks are long done.
    And then they complain that motorists don't adhere to their signs. I wonder why, Sherlock.

The habit of large department stores to always have the perfume + make-up departments right by a main entrance. What's up with that??

Do they think the potent stench of concentrated perfume entices folk in, like it's a Subway branch or something??.

That generic stench of whatever ***** it is that Dior, Armani and Chanel have released most recently gives me a guaranteed headache and yet if I just want to get to the menswear or electrical section I almost always have to walk through acres of orange faced salespeople and rancid smells fighting the urge to dry retch just to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    The habit of large department stores to always have the perfume + make-up departments right by a main entrance. What's up with that??

Do they think the potent stench of concentrated perfume entices folk in, like it's a Subway branch or something??.

That generic stench of whatever ***** it is that Dior, Armani and Chanel have released most recently gives me a guaranteed headache and yet if I just want to get to the menswear or electrical section I almost always have to walk through acres of orange faced salespeople and rancid smells fighting the urge to dry retch just to get there.
    The highest mark up is generally made on perfumery products, having at front of store generates sales.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The highest mark up is generally made on perfumery products, having at front of store generates sales.
    Also, most pricey cosmetic stuff is bought as gifts. Often useless blokes (like myself) will go into a department store in search of inspiration, find nothing, and end up buying some smelly stuff (och that'll do!) on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

If you want to wind them up, just ask if they sell Chanel but pronounce it 'Channel' (as in the English one).

Folk in doctors/hospital waiting rooms who sit about coughing and spluttering without covering their mouth. Ignorant pricks.

Obviously people who do that anywhere are erseholes but in a place frequented by sick people and where the cougher is likely ill as well it seems a bit worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Folk in doctors/hospital waiting rooms who sit about coughing and spluttering without covering their mouth. Ignorant pricks.

Obviously people who do that anywhere are erseholes but in a place frequented by sick people and where the cougher is likely ill as well it seems a bit worse.
    Rarely see people putting their hand over their mouth when they cough. Drives me nuts

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    What is the general consensus with folk working in an office who are unwell?

We have a team of 6 in a relatively small office and 3 of the 6 are currently coughing and spluttering away. Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty hygienic in that they cover their mouths, use hand sanitizer, etc, but should they be here or should they be off sick?

I'm not particularly fussy either way, but one woman in here is furious and is adamant that they should be off sick to avoid others catching their germs. She said she's happy to take on extra work due to their sickness as she'd rather that than catch the virus they have.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post

We have a team of 6 in a relatively small office and 3 of the 6 are currently coughing and spluttering away. Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty hygienic in that they cover their mouths, use hand sanitizer, etc, but should they be here or should they be off sick?

I'm not particularly fussy either way, but one woman in here is furious and is adamant that they should be off sick to avoid others catching their germs. She said she's happy to take on extra work due to their sickness as she'd rather that than catch the virus they have.
    They should stay off. All for folk making the effort to get into work but not with things that are easily spread.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar

They should stay off. All for folk making the effort to get into work but not with things that are easily spread.
    I can see both sides of this, but the bottom line for me is that if people were off sick every time they had a cough or a cold, their work would probably take disciplinary action against them.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

You have to applaud their willingness to attend work if clearly sick, but I'd encourage to work from home if possible or quarantine them (goldfish bowls over their heads)!

I can see both sides of this, but the bottom line for me is that if people were off sick every time they had a cough or a cold, their work would probably take disciplinary action against them.
    No way could every one take time off as mentioned.

Surely it is totally dependent on what you are sick with?
    If you've got an in-grown toe nail or a mild headache - in you go. If you have the flu, the measles, or bubonic plague ... maybe you should just stay home.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Surely it is totally dependent on what you are sick with?
    If you've got an in-grown toe nail or a mild headache - in you go. If you have the flu, the measles, or bubonic plague ... maybe you should just stay home.
    Depends on your job I suppose. Imagine being locked in a cockpit with recycled air and the colleague next to you is constantly coughing and sniffling for 10 hours.

And here was me thinking it was a straight 80 from the roadworks to cramond, lol.