hibs.net Messageboard

Page 79 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Guy on the train this afternoon who appeared to take a big strop because I sat in my reserved seat other side of table where he had all of his paperwork spread out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The price of pizzas in some places.

Left to fend for myself tonight so I looked at Pizza Hut and dominoes where large pepperoni pizzas are nearly £18.

Instead, I walked to Aldi and bought a cheap pepperoni one for £1.80. I topped it with chillies, mushrooms, peppers and Parmesan and it tasted better than anything I've ever had delivered. Must have cost me about £3 in total.

I'll drive past dominoes on slateford road tonight and people will be double parked outside because they think that they're getting a bargain when they pay £25 for two pizzas and a wee poke of wedges.

Edit: Thinking about it, it must cost these places about 50p in total for ingredients to make a pizza. Some mark up!
    The biggest rip off are the extras eg extra onion for £1 which costs the shop 5p to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The price of pizzas in some places.

Left to fend for myself tonight so I looked at Pizza Hut and dominoes where large pepperoni pizzas are nearly £18.

Instead, I walked to Aldi and bought a cheap pepperoni one for £1.80. I topped it with chillies, mushrooms, peppers and Parmesan and it tasted better than anything I've ever had delivered. Must have cost me about £3 in total.

I'll drive past dominoes on slateford road tonight and people will be double parked outside because they think that they're getting a bargain when they pay £25 for two pizzas and a wee poke of wedges.

Edit: Thinking about it, it must cost these places about 50p in total for ingredients to make a pizza. Some mark up!
    Domino's is *****.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who insist on standing near the front of the bus rather than taking a seat. They cause a bottleneck and obstruct folk getting on and off
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 29-01-2017 at 10:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Trying to find your mates in a busy pub. I never wear my glasses when I'm out so I usually spend 5 minutes squinting around when they're right there in front of me pishing themselves laughing

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Guy on the train this afternoon who appeared to take a big strop because I sat in my reserved seat other side of table where he had all of his paperwork spread out.

I hate when when sitting opposite a person on a train when they think they can stretch their legs out and you end up having to straddle their feet to sit comfortably.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    People who let their kids kick the back of seats at the theatre etc!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    People who let their kids kick the back of seats at the theatre etc!
    I just turn round and ask their parent if they want to swap seats with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I hate when when sitting opposite a person on a train when they think they can stretch their legs out and you end up having to straddle their feet to sit comfortably.
    I'd have a field day if someone tried that on me. Especially after fighting my way through tubes, buses etc to get to the train.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    When you're reversing out a parking bay and someone drives into the vacant bay next to you as you pull out.
    FFS, the no. of times it nearly causes a collision due to the lack of brains of the incomer.
    I don't think it's arrogance on their part. It's more a lack of ability to read and understand the situation.
    I'm sure other netters will have experienced this.

ps Hate to be sexist here, but most times this has happened to me, the incoming driver has been female.

Blog Entries
    The dog poo preservation society. As a dogless person, I applaud the habit of dog owners depositing poo into plastic bags. Recently however, I've noticed an increased number of them leaving the bags in the gutter, at the foot of trees or even hanging on lower branches of trees or on fences for some other mug to pick up and deal with. I've come across wee black bags full of crap lying in the same spot for weeks on end. It would sometimes be more environmentally friendly to leave the poo lying where it is to decay naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The dog poo preservation society. As a dogless person, I applaud the habit of dog owners depositing poo into plastic bags. Recently however, I've noticed an increased number of them leaving the bags in the gutter, at the foot of trees or even hanging on lower branches of trees or on fences for some other mug to pick up and deal with. I've come across wee black bags full of crap lying in the same spot for weeks on end. It would sometimes be more environmentally friendly to leave the poo lying where it is to decay naturally.
    It would sometimes be more environmentally friendly to leave the perpetrators lying where it is to decay naturally

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    It would sometimes be more environmentally friendly to leave the perpetrators lying where it is to decay naturally
    It's not the dogs fault.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    It's not the dogs fault.
    Maybe he meant the offending owners.

Maybe he meant the offending owners.
    I did

@hibs.net private member
    When you're reversing out a parking bay and someone drives into the vacant bay next to you as you pull out.
    FFS, the no. of times it nearly causes a collision due to the lack of brains of the incomer.
    I don't think it's arrogance on their part. It's more a lack of ability to read and understand the situation.
    I'm sure other netters will have experienced this.

ps Hate to be sexist here, but most times this has happened to me, the incoming driver has been female.
    Nothing sexist in an observation of fact

The path between buckstone and mortonhall golf course can be particularly bad for it. As you say, s***e in a bag hanging from trees is a real hate of mine. Dog licencing and compulsory dna testing of dogs would soon rid society of the problem and cost for cleaning up the mess. Fine the owners and put the money back into the system, make it robust and make dog owners pay for it.

Elderly tourists from the far east (and indeed anywhere) with all the technology at their disposal but a lack of manners and scooby in how to actually use the aforementioned technology appropriately.

On a side note, anyone taking a photo on an iPad should be summarily executed without trial.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Having to get up on a work day and wishing I could have a long lie.
    Alternatively waking up too early and can't get back to sleep at the weekend.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Elderly tourists from the far east (and indeed anywhere) with all the technology at their disposal but a lack of manners and scooby in how to actually use the aforementioned technology appropriately.

On a side note, anyone taking a photo on an iPad should be summarily executed without trial.
    I'm in Thailand just now, been here 4 days, and I've been amazed at the lack of manners from some, often the Chinese, though that could just be coincidence, rather than a national problem!

I was eating on koh san road in Bangkok a couple of days ago. A large Chinese family came in, one of them, a women of about 60 I'd say, just reached from behind me and picked up my beer and started examining it. A younger girl in her group tried to take it from her to give me it back, and she was just shoo'd away. I asked for it back, and she gave me a pure death stare before giving it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I was eating on koh san road in Bangkok a couple of days ago. A large Chinese family came in, one of them, a women of about 60 I'd say, just reached from behind me and picked up my beer and started examining it. A younger girl in her group tried to take it from her to give me it back, and she was just shoo'd away. I asked for it back, and she gave me a pure death stare before giving it to me!
    Maybe it was a takeaway shop! ;-)

I'm in Thailand just now, been here 4 days, and I've been amazed at the lack of manners from some, often the Chinese, though that could just be coincidence, rather than a national problem!

Avoid the suit shops if you can!

I always find Russians very rude as well.

I asked a mate of mine from China (a friendly lad) about it and he said it harks back to the days of scarcity. Basically for the older generation if you weren't 1st you were last when it came to food and other 'luxuries'. In some rural areas of China, away from the showpiece cities, it's still the case to an extent.

He said it's just an ingrained part of their nature and will change with time. I suppose the same could be said of Russians.

Don't get me started on the Japanese and their love of taking photographs of absolutely ****ing everything with no regard for those around them. I worked part time as a porter in a hotel when at uni and one guy was stopping literally every 3 steps on the way to his room to take pictures of the carpet, curtains, vases, a handrail, pictures on the wall etc.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I think it's more a cultural thing. I get all nationalities in the taxi and certain people often act in a certain way. Not all the time, but you certainly notice it.

United we stand here....

Count yourself lucky. They could have thrown you out for not having a Thai.

Count yourself lucky. They could have thrown you out for not having a Thai.
    It wasnae lucky, it was easty.

Blog Entries
    This is a second rant at the increasingly wrong use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence, especially in a reply to a question. It appears I'm not the only person who cringes at this. I came across this bit from John Humphries, radio and TV presenter :

SO wrong! Why John Humphrys is in a rage at such a little word after it invades everyday speech
    The Today programme presenter declared war on the use of the word 'so'
    He is seeking to ban it from being used at the beginning of a sentence
    Mr Humphrys branded it a ‘noxious weed’ that invades everyday speech

With the task of informing the nation from his seat on the Today programme, John Humphrys’ language has reason to be precise.
    It may therefore be little surprise that the Radio 4 presenter, 71, is determined to hold the rest of the population to the same exacting standards.
    He is seeking to ban the word ‘so’ from being used at the beginning of a sentence, branding it ‘irritating’, ‘absurd’ and a ‘noxious weed’ that has invaded everyday speech.
    Writing in his column in Waitrose Weekend magazine, he said: ‘So I am beginning this sentence with a word that is so irritating when it’s used at the start of a sentence that I would understand if you were to rip out this column, screw it into a tight ball and hurl it at the radio the next time you hear my voice coming from it.
    'But better to horde your anger and unleash it against the growing band of linguistic vandals, who use this absurd construction routinely – especially when they are asked a question’.
    He blamed the rise of ‘so’ on bumbling academics who use it ‘perhaps to buy a bit of time when they’re not quite sure how to answer the question’. However, he lamented that: ‘Now the misplaced “so” has invaded everyday speech like some noxious weed in an untended garden’.

He can also count on the backing of Dr Bernard Lamb, president of the Queen’s English Society, who said: ‘I think [the use of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence] is a sign of someone who is not particularly fluent, it’s fulfilling the function of ‘ummm’ and ‘errrr’ and giving the person a bit longer. It’s not being used as a conjunction to join things up, which is how it should be used. I think someone started doing it and then other people have begun slavishly copying it, it becomes fashionable. It’s just carelessness, it doesn’t have any meaning when used this way’.

This is a second rant at the increasingly wrong use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence, especially in a reply to a question. It appears I'm not the only person who cringes at this. I came across this bit from John Humphries, radio and TV presenter :

SO wrong! Why John Humphrys is in a rage at such a little word after it invades everyday speech
    The Today programme presenter declared war on the use of the word 'so'
    He is seeking to ban it from being used at the beginning of a sentence
    Mr Humphrys branded it a ‘noxious weed’ that invades everyday speech

With the task of informing the nation from his seat on the Today programme, John Humphrys’ language has reason to be precise.
    It may therefore be little surprise that the Radio 4 presenter, 71, is determined to hold the rest of the population to the same exacting standards.
    He is seeking to ban the word ‘so’ from being used at the beginning of a sentence, branding it ‘irritating’, ‘absurd’ and a ‘noxious weed’ that has invaded everyday speech.
    Writing in his column in Waitrose Weekend magazine, he said: ‘So I am beginning this sentence with a word that is so irritating when it’s used at the start of a sentence that I would understand if you were to rip out this column, screw it into a tight ball and hurl it at the radio the next time you hear my voice coming from it.
    'But better to horde your anger and unleash it against the growing band of linguistic vandals, who use this absurd construction routinely – especially when they are asked a question’.
    He blamed the rise of ‘so’ on bumbling academics who use it ‘perhaps to buy a bit of time when they’re not quite sure how to answer the question’. However, he lamented that: ‘Now the misplaced “so” has invaded everyday speech like some noxious weed in an untended garden’.

He can also count on the backing of Dr Bernard Lamb, president of the Queen’s English Society, who said: ‘I think [the use of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence] is a sign of someone who is not particularly fluent, it’s fulfilling the function of ‘ummm’ and ‘errrr’ and giving the person a bit longer. It’s not being used as a conjunction to join things up, which is how it should be used. I think someone started doing it and then other people have begun slavishly copying it, it becomes fashionable. It’s just carelessness, it doesn’t have any meaning when used this way’.
    If you ask me, Humphrys and Lamb are just a pair of so and so's.

@hibs.net private member
    So did he really say "horde your anger"?

Blog Entries
    If you ask me, Humphrys and Lamb are just a pair of so and so's.
    So I'm finding it difficult to come up with a witty reply to your post.
    Last edited by Jim44; 06-02-2017 at 02:01 PM.