Page 77 of 425 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rolls only buttered on one side. Or indeed any sandwich.
    and butter too hard to spread on your bread.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Some cyclists complete lack of regard for those around them.

When I go out running I often use a series of paths that are shared by cyclists and pedestrians. Whilst not narrow a bit common sense is required to move safely. The speed that some cyclists go at is ridiculous and they show no awareness of what's going on around them. Last night I was running and 2 people walking were approaching from the other direction, a cyclist coming from behind them at speed rung his bell then swerved right out into my path (right against the edge of the path where I had moved to allow the walkers to pass) and ran straight into me. A couple of weeks ago one ran into a dog and just before Christmas a guy sent himself and his bike flying into a hedge after speeding round a corner and having to swerve to avoid a lady with a pram coming the other way.

The people with those bikes with the big contraptions on the front to sit a child in seem to be the worst for this sort of behaviour. They don't seem to realise they are actually travelling on quite a big, heavy vehicle. Probably the 1st to moan about 'inconsiderate drivers' as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I've not read the entire thread so apologies if already mentioned...but those Black Cabs that don't seem to be fitted with indicators as well as those that stop without any warning wherever they happenstance to feel like (often parallel to a proper space - what's that all about?) do tend to irritate somewhat! Add to that yon Deliveroo bawbags on bikes and Domino delivery dickheads (both of whom clearly think they're driving a Taxi going by the way they flout the regular road rules observed by us mere mortals) and its little wonder our city's roads are a monumental PITA!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

When I go out running I often use a series of paths that are shared by cyclists and pedestrians. Whilst not narrow a bit common sense is required to move safely. The speed that some cyclists go at is ridiculous and they show no awareness of what's going on around them. Last night I was running and 2 people walking were approaching from the other direction, a cyclist coming from behind them at speed rung his bell then swerved right out into my path (right against the edge of the path where I had moved to allow the walkers to pass) and ran straight into me. A couple of weeks ago one ran into a dog and just before Christmas a guy sent himself and his bike flying into a hedge after speeding round a corner and having to swerve to avoid a lady with a pram coming the other way.

The people with those bikes with the big contraptions on the front to sit a child in seem to be the worst for this sort of behaviour. They don't seem to realise they are actually travelling on quite a big, heavy vehicle. Probably the 1st to moan about 'inconsiderate drivers' as well.
    There was a nasty collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian in holyrood park yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-38676929

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Aye, that's a peeve I've raised before, SHARED PATHS where nobody wants to share! Cyclists absolutely have a responsibility when travelling at speed but everyone else has to remain aware and not live in a bubble.
    I've seen a lot of confrontation on the path running alongside the tram line between Balgreen & Saughton. It is fairly busy with cyclists and there's one stretch that has a long downhill run where achieving 20+ MPH is not beyond the scope of an amateur cyclist. Whilst achievable, it's not necessarily sensible as a lot of folk walk/jog/exercise dogs there so there's going to be conflict.
    The simple answer would be for EVERYONE to walk/run/cycle on the left. Sounds so simple but folk like to go left/right/middle,,,sometimes all at once. Faster users should pass only when safe and moderate their speed/distance so the pass doesn't unsettle anyone. And dog owners, if the dog has a tendency to chase children/runners/cyclists or weave from side to side then please use a leash!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    There was a nasty collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian in holyrood park yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-38676929
    Reports that the pedestrian walked in front of the cyclist on the road(not the cycle path there), perhaps the ped was crossing the road with their ears, it does happen. Seems like the cyclist took a nasty spill.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Reports that the pedestrian walked in front of the cyclist on the road(not the cycle path there), perhaps the ped was crossing the road with their ears, it does happen. Seems like the cyclist took a nasty spill.
    Sincerely hope both parties are okay.

That said, from their own logic, it will be the cyclist to blame, until he proves himself innocent - no?

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Sincerely hope both parties are okay.

That said, from their own logic, it will be the cyclist to blame, until he proves himself innocent - no?
    Correct, strict liability & all that.
    I've been driving for 25 years now but still can't get over what my driving instructor told me, "a pedestrian can walk right in front of you at any time, legally they don't have to look whereas legally you are duty bound to avoid an accident",,, amazing eh? You can't just run them over apparently! 😜

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Correct, strict liability & all that.
    I've been driving for 25 years now but still can't get over what my driving instructor told me, "a pedestrian can walk right in front of you at any time, legally they don't have to look whereas legally you are duty bound to avoid an accident",,, amazing eh? You can't just run them over apparently! 😜
    Funnily enough when a smart erse jogger wearing ned swaggers slowly across the road I accelerate. Play chicken with my car and you will lose :-)

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I'm actually beginning to wonder if I was taught something different when I learned to drive, folk who go past 3+ exits (often in the wrong lane!) with no indicators on ��
    Big one for me is oldcraighall roundabout coming from the fort to head onto the city bypass. When I was learning to drive, and I'm sure it's in the highway code, when going right at a roundabout, you approach in the right hand lane. Yet the amount of drivers that come onto that roundabout in the left hand lane and go right the way round it to head to sherifhall really frustrates me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav1986 View Post
    Big one for me is oldcraighall roundabout coming from the fort to head onto the city bypass. When I was learning to drive, and I'm sure it's in the highway code, when going right at a roundabout, you approach in the right hand lane. Yet the amount of drivers that come onto that roundabout in the left hand lane and go right the way round it to head to sherifhall really frustrates me.
    The exact same thing happens when you come off the slip road from town heading to the airport. You approach a roundabout with three exits yet people stuff the left hand lane and take the third exit, forcing those who were in the correct lane to begin with to try and rejoin the lane that takes you to the airport.

Also, these stupid roundabouts in Livingston where the left hand lane is for turning left only and the right lane is for straight ahead as well as turning right. WTF is that all about? Get caught out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The exact same thing happens when you come off the slip road from town heading to the airport. You approach a roundabout with three exits yet people stuff the left hand lane and take the third exit, forcing those who were in the correct lane to begin with to try and rejoin the lane that takes you to the airport.

Also, these stupid roundabouts in Livingston where the left hand lane is for turning left only and the right lane is for straight ahead as well as turning right. WTF is that all about? Get caught out all the time.
    West Lothian council seem to think they can paint on lane directions that are completely contrary to the Highway Code. It causes no end of confusion!

Folk who hit the pub for hours before a football match, turn up pished then spend the next 90+ minutes going to the toilet every 5 minutes.

Had a right crew beside me today, it was like musical chairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Tell me you learned to drive on St Kilda 🙏

Folk who swagger about thinking that wearing a certain brand of clothing makes them rock hard.

Folk who swagger about thinking that wearing a certain brand of clothing makes them rock hard.
    Surely a Stone Island would be rock hard!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Surely a Stone Island would be rock hard!
    Very good :-)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Do people really do that or is that simply the impression you have?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

Does my head in, they know there's a queue behind them, but they get statements and cash for 3 or 4 cards, then each card, statement and cash has to be carefully folded, put in exactly the right part of the purse/wallet, then that's got to be put away properly
    You'll quite often find that these people are carers doing a favour for a number of elderly clients.

I can guarantee 3 or 4 octogenarians would be a damn sight slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Do people really do that or is that simply the impression you have?
    Oh they do it believe me. Often followed by the stare that is supposed to frighten you. Then you smack them in the puss and realise they are as soft as ***** and have just realised that their designer body armour doesn't actually work.
    Disclaimer: This of course does not apply to everyone that likes certain clothing brands.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 24-01-2017 at 11:13 AM.

People that smack me in the puss just for looking at them.

😛

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Making small talk with strangers at corporate events.

I'm rubbish at it and hate it.

Signed

Socially Awkward from Fife
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    People that smack me in the puss just for looking at them.

😛
    Hahaha not like that at all mate. I am not a fighter and never look for trouble but if someone thinks they can take liberties then you have to react appropriately :-)

Hahaha not like that at all mate. I am not a fighter and never look for trouble but if someone thinks they can take liberties then you have to react appropriately :-)
    Sorry Scouse, but it's not appropriate to smack someone just because they're wearing certain clothing and staring at you. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's how it's reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Sorry Scouse, but it's not appropriate to smack someone just because they're wearing certain clothing and staring at you. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's how it's reading.
    No mate don't worry that's not what I meant, that was just the build up. Sorry for the confusion.

No mate don't worry that's not what I meant, that was just the build up. Sorry for the confusion.
    Nae bother

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Some guy just did some parkour round a bin and bus shelter to get on the bus before me even though I had been stood waiting longer, normally this is my trigger to go absolutely mental, but there are only about 5 people on the bus, he heard me laughing at how keen he was to get on an empty bus and wasn't too impressed

Indicatorless cars.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dav1986 View Post
    If we all used the right hand lane in the correct manner the traffic would queue onto the A1 and cause accidents.

Using the left hand lane too is disobedient to the Highway Code but is good road sense.

People who judge or criticise something whilst knowing nothing about it.

I mentioned in work today I watched The Undateables. I got a load of abuse from one lady about how it was 'laughing at the disabled' and 'mocking'. I said I didn't think it was and it's actually quite a touching and gentle programme. Further abuse so I asked have you actually watched it? You can guess the answer.