hibs.net Messageboard

Page 424 of 428 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426 ... LastLast
Results 12,691 to 12,720 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The BBC licence advert saying that it's needed to watch over 400 Live tv channels.

Last time I looked the BBC has 4 tv channels.
    The licence is require to watch or record all live TV, that includes non BBC channels but doesn't include streaming services, eg you can watch Gogglebox on All4 but never on channel 4 unless you have a license. Live services like Hibs TV aren't included as they subscription only

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    The licence is require to watch or record all live TV, that includes non BBC channels but doesn't include streaming services, eg you can watch Gogglebox on All4 but never on channel 4 unless you have a license. Live services like Hibs TV aren't included as they subscription only
    Still don't see where they get 400 Live tv channels from though.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Sky have over 300 channels on it so I quite believe it

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    You do need it if you watch anything as live on the likes of Channel 4’s streaming service or Amazon Prime, etc. Even live stuff on YouTube like when Sky News have a live broadcast on there.

Folk that use hyperbole to the extent that they stray into the territory of talking utter pish. I saw someone refer to the wee bridge bit at Glasgow Central on Argyle Street as a “No Go Zone” today. Granted, it stinks of stale pish and chip fat but it’s hardly a war zone. Never felt unsafe there, neither has my wife (it’s annoyed me to the extent I actually asked her opinion), so who is it a no go zone for? ****ing nobody, you’re just a professional whinger. Shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re effectively saying that you can’t watch any channel from any broadcaster if you don’t have a tv license. Factually it’s not wrong, but it’s not wholly accurate either, as the license itself doesn’t provide access to 400 channels

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    They’re effectively saying that you can’t watch any channel from any broadcaster if you don’t have a tv license. Factually it’s not wrong, but it’s not wholly accurate either, as the license itself doesn’t provide access to 400 channels
    If you need the licence to watch Sky for example why does it cost more by subscription if I've already got a TV licence?

My tv is not connected to an aerial or satellite dish. Everything I watch is over the Internet so very little is live TV.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    If you need the licence to watch Sky for example why does it cost more by subscription if I've already got a TV licence?

My tv is not connected to an aerial or satellite dish. Everything I watch is over the Internet so very little is live TV.
    The license covers live TV. Your choice to enter a contract with Sky is something else. Same as
    you should also have a dog license, you don't get the XL Bully for free

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Last time I looked the BBC has 4 tv channels.
    When was this, the nineteen eighties?

You are conflating the three parts of the licence. The licence does three separate things.

Firstly, it gives you the authority to watch as live/linear TV irrespective of provider. You need it to watch BBC channels, Sky channels, live subscription channels (e.g. the football on Prime, WWE once its on Netflix, etc.) and the likes of Sky News that broadcasts as live on YouTube. This is also irrespective of medium: if you watch STV via Freeview, Virgin, Sky, STV Player, you need a TV licence. This doesn't cover on-demand services (except iPlayer - see the next point), so you are fine if you watch Coronation Street the next day on STV Player or the bulk of the content on Prime, Netflix, etc.

Secondly, it gives you the authority to watch iPlayer irrespective of whether it is as live/linear TV or on-demand. I think this used to be different. Previously, I think you were fine to watch on-demand stuff on iPlayer, so effectively it was just like the first point. They changed that, so you now need a licence to watch iPlayer on-demand shows.

Thirdly, it funds the BBC. This is separate to point one. The money you pay for a licence to watch any TV funds the BBC. However, Sky, Virgin, Prime are free to charge over and above this.

@hibs.net private member
    It's possible I might upset some posters on here with this, given there are multiple threads about running. But just recently, people running / jogging through the park have become really annoying. They run straight towards you, they never seem to move aside, run close past you, run between couples walking, run through groups talking on the pavement, and if you do move out of their way you never get a thank you.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    It's possible I might upset some posters on here with this, given there are multiple threads about running. But just recently, people running / jogging through the park have become really annoying. They run straight towards you, they never seem to move aside, run close past you, run between couples walking, run through groups talking on the pavement, and if you do move out of their way you never get a thank you.
    Agree. When I used to run I always veered off the path to get out of folks' way. No excuses for these bams who behave like...erm some cyclists

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Not just a runner/cyclist thing. I raised this here years ago and it got worse during COVID when everyone got out for their "fresh air".
    If I'm walking along a path, on my own, I tend to walk on the left hand side. I watch out ahead of me and I look beyond me every now and then. If a group of folk walk towards me, or runners, or cyclists, they invariably don't narrow their profile and go single file. Instead, I feel like I'm bullied to stand off the path.
    There is little cognisance that someone else is around them.
    Sometimes I'm brave enough to say something but it always comes off as passive/aggressive.
    Why can't we all just share the path???

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Not just a runner/cyclist thing. I raised this here years ago and it got worse during COVID when everyone got out for their "fresh air".
    If I'm walking along a path, on my own, I tend to walk on the left hand side. I watch out ahead of me and I look beyond me every now and then. If a group of folk walk towards me, or runners, or cyclists, they invariably don't narrow their profile and go single file. Instead, I feel like I'm bullied to stand off the path.
    Sometimes I'm brave enough to say something but it always comes off as passive/aggressive.
    Can't say I've ever noticed large groups of runners or cyclists on the paths, but some large groups of elderly walkers seem to expect a whole heap of gratitude for having temporarily constricted their collective footprint to allow a cyclist to squeeze past.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    This has been the case on the school run each morning this week for me. I’ve had to move onto the grass, which is often covered in mud at the edges of the path, because other parents walk a few abreast and taking up the path. It’s just rude and selfish behaviour.

I notice it when I run on the canal path. I always stick to the left and tuck right in when I hear a bike bell or see another group walking towards me. Cyclists seem particularly bad on that path for refusing to go single file and slow down; I had to jump into the verge on one occasion and ripped a hole in my leg on a fence that needed stitches. The only concern I got from our lycra clad wonders was '**** sake'. Same with groups of walkers, if they are walking 3 abreast you can guarantee most groups won't go single file so everyone can get past with no one having to move off the path.

Portobello prom is also bad for it. Groups standing outside the pizza slice place or coffee shops absolutely refusing to make space for walkers, runners or cyclists. If everyone just showed a bit common sense there is more than enough space for everybody.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'm sure I have moaned about this before but companies who describe things as something they most definitely aren't.

I was looking at Cheltenham tickets for next year and a hospitality package caught my eye, I had a further look as if it had been in a price range I was willing to pay then I would have gone for it. Anyway the package cost £910 and includes a Club Enclosure ticket, breakfast bites, a 3 course pub lunch, cheese and biscuits late afternoon and a racecard. What I object to is along with those offerings there is a bar and car parking both being described as 'complimentary'. How the **** is it complimentary? It's inclusive but certainly not complimentary. A standard club ticket is currently £85 so at more than 10 times the price absolutely nothing is complimentary. If anything I'd say there is one whopping surcharge being applied. If a ticket is £85, lets allow £15 for pastries and coffee at breakfast, £70 for a 3 course pub style lunch, £20 for the car parking, £25 for a cheese board and a tenner or thereabouts for the racecard then that gives you £225. At £7.50 a pint I'd have to drink 92 pints in a day for a single one of those to be complimentary.

It's the same as employers in job adverts listing the salary and holiday allowance as 'benefits'. Those aren't benefits; private healthcare, cycle to work schemes and the like are benefits. What you have done there is pad out 'benefits' with basic legal requirements. Not paying a salary or giving holidays makes you both a criminal and a slave master. It's not some benevolent gesture.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who look down there nose at people less fortunate than themselves without having a hint of circumstances. Not everyone living on the streets is a useless lazy junkie focker. Not going into details but regularly assist in several such people by providing a service that both helps them and me. The looks and comments from other people because I dare to assist is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Portobello prom is also bad for it. Groups standing outside the pizza slice place or coffee shops absolutely refusing to make space for walkers, runners or cyclists. If everyone just showed a bit common sense there is more than enough space for everybody.
    Either side of the junction of the prom and Bath Street is particularly bad for that behaviour.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    People who look down there nose at people less fortunate than themselves without having a hint of circumstances. Not everyone living on the streets is a useless lazy junkie focker. Not going into details but regularly assist in several such people by providing a service that both helps them and me. The looks and comments from other people because I dare to assist is unreal.
    A wee while back I witnessed one lad kicking an obviously mentally ill homeless man in the arse much to the amusement of his chums. I invited him to try it with me but he didn't take up my offer. I hate bullies with a vengeance, whether that's physical or mentally bullying and see red mist when I witness it. Abusing power or looking down on those less fortunate is just another form of bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I helped out in a local community pantry for a while. Similar to a foodbank but for a £2.50 fee there is a wider range available as the money allows the purchase of some fresh produce to compliment the dry goods.

Anyway I got it tight from friends of different political persuasions for different reasons. The lefties giving it 'supporting foodbanks just allows the govt and employers to abdicate responsibility, I would never support them'. Aye great but if we shut the door tomorrow the support goes with it, there's no magic wand that fixes the cost of living, stagnating wages etc etc so a bit solidarity goes a long way. From the other side it was 'scroungers', 'bet they all have a phone though', 'full or immigrants and junkies no doubt'.

It was totally dispiriting and neither position came close to reflecting the reality. Most users of the service were good people who had fallen on hard times and were grateful for the support if a bit embarrassed to need it. Unanimously they appreciated the no judgement, no questions policy.

The current fad for putting your arm up as you’re taking a corner. Was waiting on my daughter’s dance class finishing yesterday at Oriam and saw some of the (I presume) Hearts ladies U20s training. They practiced corner routines and all the corner takers put their arm up. It’s just copied habit from the TV. At elite level there might be a signal in it every now and then for a specific corner routine but 99% of the time it’s a pointless habit.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    The current fad for putting your arm up as you’re taking a corner. Was waiting on my daughter’s dance class finishing yesterday at Oriam and saw some of the (I presume) Hearts ladies U20s training. They practiced corner routines and all the corner takers put their arm up. It’s just copied habit from the TV. At elite level there might be a signal in it every now and then for a specific corner routine but 99% of the time it’s a pointless habit.
    I wonder what the signals are.

One finger up: I'm going to scuff this into the first defender
    Open hand: floated in for the keeper to catch
    Closed fist: out for a throw in on the other side

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

Both hands up: Take it short, fanny about, pass it back to the defensive midfielder on the halfway line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    In the team I play for at pub level here, it's a timing thing - when players make their runs vs when the ball is getting kicked.

There's no hand gestures that indicate front post, back post etc. If it both beats the first man and isn't miles past the back post then that's an absolute bonus 😅

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I used to put my hand up just to confuse the opposion into thinking there was a set play. Every corner more or less hit bit between the 6yd box and the pen spot.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

If there is no "sharing" of the space then just place one finger on your right nostril and clear the left one as you go past them 😎

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    If there is no "sharing" of the space then just place one finger on your right nostril and clear the left one as you go past them 😎
    One of the more disgusting things that runners do.

People who love to give it out but can't take a bit back.

It seems to be especially common among self proclaimed hard men or alpha males. Love it when they are doing the slagging or ruling the roost but as soon as they get a bit back they become sensitive wee souls. I reckon a decent chunk of the violence you hear and see in Scotland is caused by these types and their fragile egos taking themselves way too seriously.