hibs.net Messageboard

Page 231 of 428 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281331 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,930 of 12833

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certain rhyming lyrics in songs.

Rhyming “girl” with “world” really annoys me for some reason.

As does “hands in the air” with “don’t care”.

Rhyming with the same word as well such as that guy who rhymes “Kodak” with “Kodak”.

Ive just listened to Rod Stewart’s “I don’t want to talk about it” and he rhymes “Heart” with “Heart” in his chorus. FFS did you think I wouldn’t notice?
    I feel your pain. There's a line in a Robert Palmer song (can't remember what it's called - video of red-lipsticked , sulky looking lasses wiggling in the background) that contains the lines: I told you twice/ I was only trying to be nice.
    It makes me want to run amok with a chainsaw. The rhyme works, but there's something about it ...the primary school poem thing? the banality? The desperate contrivance of it? that sets off fireworks in my head.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    I feel your pain. There's a line in a Robert Palmer song (can't remember what it's called - video of red-lipsticked , sulky looking lasses wiggling in the background)
    That's
    Addicted To Lurve

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    That's
    Addicted To Lurve
    That's the one

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Folk like Donald Trump, maybe?
    Some do but most hate him.

Aye, exactly like Donald Trump.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    "Gotten".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    "Gotten".
    Unless it is as in “ill-gotten gains” or, at a stretch “Gott in Himmel” for those of us who enjoyed the pacifist, internationalist and undoubtedly colloquially correct education afforded by Victor and Warlord.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    "Gotten".
    Gotten is a perfectly reasonable word to use.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Gotten is a perfectly reasonable word to use.
    Only in American English and even then it is a push. For me it is one of those funny words that doesn’t exist in usage in the contrary, hence why we only use ‘ill-gotten’. In British English, it should be ‘received’ or ‘became’ or the like.

’Got’ is the past tense of ‘get’. My memory of grammar is hazy but I think ‘gotten’ is the past participle, stand to be corrected.

You wouldn’t say I gotten good at something, you would say I became good at something. I’m actually doubting whether ‘became good’ is acceptable but it is certainly better than ‘gotten good’.

Likewise, I gotten lots of presents. I was given lots of presents or I received lots of presents.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    You wouldn’t say I gotten good at something, you would say I became good at something. I’m actually doubting whether ‘became good’ is acceptable but it is certainly better than ‘gotten good’.
    I've a hazy memory that schoolteachers of English used to advise that using even 'got' was poor style, and that it should always be replaced by something else. [Double space] But to describe someone having carried out a GTF instruction, I think you'd have to say 'he/she got tf'.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 31-07-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Only in American English and even then it is a push. For me it is one of those funny words that doesn’t exist in usage in the contrary, hence why we only use ‘ill-gotten’. In British English, it should be ‘received’ or ‘became’ or the like.

’Got’ is the past tense of ‘get’. My memory of grammar is hazy but I think ‘gotten’ is the past participle, stand to be corrected.

Likewise, I gotten lots of presents. I was given lots of presents or I received lots of presents.
    IIRC, you’re spot on about “gotten” being the past participle, but that means it is acceptable to use it so long as the preceding word allows it. The example you’ve give is missing “have” (i.e. I have gotten good at…”). That's technically correct but, as you've said, become sounds better. This is because you wouldn’t normally say “I got good” in the first place.

A better example for the use of “gotten” would be as a part participle in a sentence where “get” would be the present tense and “got” the past tense. So, for example:

I may get promoted.
    I got promoted.
    I have gotten promoted several times.
    Last edited by Future17; 31-07-2019 at 06:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    At the time of the Mayflower, gotten was in use here in Britain, and it comes from Old English. We ditched it, they kept it. Always assumed it was an Americanism, until I read something about an author dealing with complaints about her use of the word in a historical novel. I looked it up, and apparently that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    IIRC, you’re spot on about “gotten” being the past participle, but that means it is acceptable to use it so long as the preceding word allows it. The example you’ve give is missing “have” (i.e. I have gotten good at…”). That's technically correct but, as you've said, become sounds better. This is because you wouldn’t normally say “I got good” in the first place.

A better example for the use of “gotten” would be as a part participle in a sentence where “get” would be the present tense and “got” the past tense. So, for example:

I may get promoted.
    I got promoted.
    I have gotten promoted several times.
    You can also use it with had or has.

United we stand here....

I think some would say "I had gotten good" though.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    This thread has gotten good.

The way the rain waits for you to leave a building before starting. Soaked last night walking home from the pub. :angry:
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think some would say "I had gotten good" though.
    Yeah, "have", "had" and "has" all acceptable words to precede "gotten" per my post and LB's.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Things have gotten out of hand. Can we move back to peaves please.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    When commentators say that a shot has “just about” crossed the line. Although it has actually crossed the line. If it had just about crossed it then it wouldn’t have quite made it over.

Google on my phone which never works I say "OK google" but jumps into life when someone on the telly says anything that sounds remotely like the same thing, technology is great when it can arsed to work properly.

Ministers who, while officiating at a funeral, spend time proselytising about Jesus to a captive audience sweltering in uncomfortable summer heat.

It's fair enough if the deceased was particularly religious and his/her family have requested it, but too often it's just for the minister's own gratification it seems.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Ministers who, while officiating at a funeral, spend time proselytising about Jesus to a captive audience sweltering in uncomfortable summer heat.

It's fair enough if the deceased was particularly religious and his/her family have requested it, but too often it's just for the minister's own gratification it seems.
    Im with you, will add that when you are gone you are automatically the best person ever, I will be asking for the truth, he was alright but could be a right dick at times

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Im with you, will add that when you are gone you are automatically the best person ever, I will be asking for the truth, he was alright but could be a right dick at times
    At times? I'd be lucky!
    As luck would have it, I was at a funeral during the week for a family member, great guy but liked a peeve. The "humanist" celebrant didn't miss him. I reckon she spent half her oration on his misadventures through his drinking exploits. Perhaps not in keeping with a traditional send off but 100% correct and well received by those in attendance

When someone sends you a message at work asking "have you got 5 minutes for a call?" which is office speak for "I expect you to drop everything you are doing right now for 45 minutes so you can do what I impatiently can't wait for and I'm going to keep you on the phone until it's done"

The staff tasked with keeping an eye on the self serve checkouts in supermarkets, who are almost always chatting to a pal, standing with their back to the tills, or rather than coming to sort your minor thing out so you can pay and leave, will stop on the way to help out the old dear by removing the security device from her gin, whilst she’s still got plenty to scan.

And, the pressure pads that you place the scanned items on, which never fail to detect phantom objects, and the next moment are unable to detect the 5kg bag of dog food after it’s been scanned and put down on the pad

Persistent use of the word 'backstop'.

For the next few months at least we're not a state of the US, so why have we been using their sporting analogies for the last three years? The correct expression would be 'long stop'. Two words and neither of them 'back'.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Watching Grand Designs on 4OD and you have to wonder if the people that take part have ever actually watched it?

A six month timescale is bonkers short, and they will definitely go over budget.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Not sure it’s a pet peeve but my wife sent me a link to story about Drake (who?) getting a tattoo of him walking in front of the Beatles in their abbey road pose as he apparently beat one of their records.

I have of course heard of him, but couldn’t name you any of his songs. So just listened to his top songs on I-tunes. Does it say more about music today when generic dross like Drake, that could be any song in the charts, is beating records set by the Beatles.

When you’re drinking cider with loads of ice in the glass and it constantly drips water from the glass. It happens on holiday when you’re drinking a beer as well. Why does that happen?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    When you’re drinking cider with loads of ice in the glass and it constantly drips water from the glass. It happens on holiday when you’re drinking a beer as well. Why does that happen?
    Condensation.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Condensation.
    Wrong, it’s because even on holiday life wants to **** on you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Wrong, it’s because even on holiday life wants to **** on you.
    Dew might have a point