hibs.net Messageboard

Page 220 of 425 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270320 ... LastLast
Results 6,571 to 6,600 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that don’t appear to understand how phones work.

I seem to be seeing more and more people talking into the speaker but not having the earpiece to their ear. I don’t get it, what if the other person is trying to say something?
    I do that when I am video calling people. I dont do it whilst walking though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    People that don’t appear to understand how phones work.

I seem to be seeing more and more people talking into the speaker but not having the earpiece to their ear. I don’t get it, what if the other person is trying to say something?
    Many people from other countries do this using the handsfree function.
    Keep an eye out next time you're abroad, once you see it, you'll see it all the time.
    When mobiles became popular there was a fear of health risks due to ionising radiation. In the UK this was dismissed through relatively aggressive public info campaigns. We were told there was more radiation leaking from a microwave then the average mobile phone(I don't know anyone that places their head against a micro for the length of a phone call?).
    On the continent however they adopted a slightly more conversative approach so many many folk hold the phone away from their head (and the skulls parabolic effect).

Blog Entries
    Not a pet peeve but a bit of reading that the folk posting regularly on this thread may enjoy .......... The Grumpy Old Git's Guide to Life by Geoff Tibballs.

People who post pictures of their hotel bathrooms on social media. Usually followed by a 'looks amazing babe' type comment. Why?

It's some tiles, folded towels and soap in a plastic bottle. Genuinely amazed.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Folk that post pictures of their kids report cards or well done stickers etc because they got 5+5 = 10 question right at school... No cant gives a flying.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    FB ads. Ive just had one telling me id left a babyshark backpack in my basket.
    I have never clicked on a babyshark backpack! Im grateful my kids are too old and my grandson too young for babyshark.

@hibs.net private member
    People who think Europe is an organisation and not a continent

Actually disturbing my happiness today.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Airports

1) At security, people who wait until they are right at the rollers and then start taking belts off, coats off, rummaging about in bags, being told they’ve got a bottle of water in their hand and a bottle of shampoo in their bag and that’s not permissible and act astonished.

2) At luggage pick-up, people who stand right by the carousel. As soon as the person at the front does it, everyone else has to follow suit, like falling dominoes. What it means is you have a couple of seconds’ notice when your bag passes as you can’t see down the line. If everyone stood a couple of feet back then everyone would surely be able to see the length of the carousel
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Airports

1) At security, people who wait until they are right at the rollers and then start taking belts off, coats off, rummaging about in bags, being told they’ve got a bottle of water in their hand and a bottle of shampoo in their bag and that’s not permissible and act astonished.

2) At luggage pick-up, people who stand right by the carousel. As soon as the person at the front does it, everyone else has to follow suit, like falling dominoes. What it means is you have a couple of seconds’ notice when your bag passes as you can’t see down the line. If everyone stood a couple of feet back then everyone would surely be able to see the length of the carousel
    People who queue up to an hour before a flight, must be tiring standing for so long and frustrating when the priority tickets walk past.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    People who queue up to an hour before a flight, must be tiring standing for so long and frustrating when the priority tickets walk past.
    I was on a flight yesterday with a budget airline. Went through security, gate was called and went through passport control and was sitting in the departure lounge waiting for the gate to actually open. No sign of anything happening but a couple sidled their way around the fencing to get to the position closest to the gate.

Within five minutes there were around sixty people behind them and still no sign of any staff at the gate. It was classic herd mentality. It was half an hour before the staff showed up and started shuffling people through. Best thing was, once everyone had their boarding passes swiped and passports checked there was another half-hour standing wait in a holding area before walking onto the plane! That's maybe the only thing that puts me off taking priority boarding - it doesn't stop you being stuck in the holding area
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Calf and foot cramps. Iyaaaa!!!! Especially in the middle of the night

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I was on a flight yesterday with a budget airline. Went through security, gate was called and went through passport control and was sitting in the departure lounge waiting for the gate to actually open. No sign of anything happening but a couple sidled their way around the fencing to get to the position closest to the gate.

Within five minutes there were around sixty people behind them and still no sign of any staff at the gate. It was classic herd mentality. It was half an hour before the staff showed up and started shuffling people through. Best thing was, once everyone had their boarding passes swiped and passports checked there was another half-hour standing wait in a holding area before walking onto the plane! That's maybe the only thing that puts me off taking priority boarding - it doesn't stop you being stuck in the holding area
    I will never understand this, went to Cuba a couple of years ago and we were waiting in Manchester airport, pint in hand, just up from the gate. Gate gets called, literally a full plane load of people start queuing. I went and got another drink - what's the point in queuing like sheep to wait for a queue to move?!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I will never understand this, went to Cuba a couple of years ago and we were waiting in Manchester airport, pint in hand, just up from the gate. Gate gets called, literally a full plane load of people start queuing. I went and got another drink - what's the point in queuing like sheep to wait for a queue to move?!
    The only reason I can think of is that sometimes due to space restrictions, the last few passengers will have their hand luggage placed in the hold.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    The only reason I can think of is that sometimes due to space restrictions, the last few passengers will have their hand luggage placed in the hold.
    That's fair, especially for connections etc.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who just don’t listen, to an instruction or information that is important to what they need to achieve. They then usually call you mystified as to why they can’t:

Get in
    Get something to work
    Complete the job

Only to have to be told, I have already told you...........XYZ
    It does my nut in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I fly a lot and am continually amazed and amused by the vast majority of plane passengers who, on landing, before the seat belt signs have been switched off, jump up to get their bags out the overhead lockers then stand in the aisle waiting for the doors to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

I flew back from from London to Edinburgh a couple of years ago, and it’s exactly this. I boarded after about half the passengers, the overhead lockers were already getting full. There was the usual people bringing on massive suitcases, suit carriers, laptop bags and bags (saw quite a few with all of those things). With about 25% of the seats left to be filled, the cabin crew had to start stopping everyone else coming on with almost any hand luggage and tell them their bags etc would need to be checked into the hold as there was no storage room left.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I flew back from from London to Edinburgh a couple of years ago, and it’s exactly this.
    That wasn't with BA was it? They have a fairly decent carry-on allowance and aren't that strict compared to some low-cost carriers, BUT, some passengers take liberties. 1 carry-on and one small personal bag soon becomes a case with wheels better suited in the hold and a rucksack/Kipling bag that takes up as much overhead bin space as the regular carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    That wasn't with BA was it? They have a fairly decent carry-on allowance and aren't that strict compared to some low-cost carriers, BUT, some passengers take liberties. 1 carry-on and one small personal bag soon becomes a case with wheels better suited in the hold and a rucksack/Kipling bag that takes up as much overhead bin space as the regular carry-on.

Spot on

definitely some folk taking liberties, quite a few with 3,4 or 5 carry on items unchallenged at check in or boarding.

Pub bouncers.

After the match on Saturday I found myself in Kitty O'Shea's on Frederick St and when I got there it was about 15:20 the bouncer outside said to me, been to the game have we? I said yes and I'm just meeting my mates here to watch the scores come in as well as the national and the Man City game and the bouncer was like thats fine mate.

Inside it was full of Hibbys all having a good time and the heckys at the wheel song was sung a few times and then the bouncers appeared from nowhere grabbing people and threatening to throw people out for singing and it did threaten to get quite ugly until they realised they were vastly outnumbered and backed off.

Now within 10 minutes a CD was put on in the pub of Celtic "party" songs. Here we go again song with the Oh Ahh up the Ra bit as well and there were folk belting it out and not a word was said to them about that. Guess we just supported the wrong team. No need for the reaction from the bouncers in the first place and it would have been their fault entirely if it had kicked off.

This is the song Celtic Symphony with lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Pub bouncers.

After the match on Saturday I found myself in Kitty O'Shea's on Frederick St and when I got there it was about 15:20 the bouncer outside said to me, been to the game have we? I said yes and I'm just meeting my mates here to watch the scores come in as well as the national and the Man City game and the bouncer was like thats fine mate.

Inside it was full of Hibbys all having a good time and the heckys at the wheel song was sung a few times and then the bouncers appeared from nowhere grabbing people and threatening to throw people out for singing and it did threaten to get quite ugly until they realised they were vastly outnumbered and backed off.

Now within 10 minutes a CD was put on in the pub of Celtic "party" songs. Here we go again song with the Oh Ahh up the Ra bit as well and there were folk belting it out and not a word was said to them about that. Guess we just supported the wrong team. No need for the reaction from the bouncers in the first place and it would have been their fault entirely if it had kicked off.

This is the song Celtic Symphony with lyrics
    Brutal patter from the bouncers. That boozer has advertising on the west stand I think.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Brutal patter from the bouncers. That boozer has advertising on the west stand I think.
    Certainly does. I make it my business to avoid "Irish" pubs like the plague when there's an alternative and that kind of story only solidifies that custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who post pictures of their hotel bathrooms on social media. Usually followed by a 'looks amazing babe' type comment. Why?

It's some tiles, folded towels and soap in a plastic bottle. Genuinely amazed.
    One wonders what their own homes are like if a hotel bathroom is seen as the acme of comfortable living.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Sub-titles on English speaking films or tv and I don’t know how to switch them off. I can’t stop reading them and end up missing the action. Alternatively there’s a telly in my works restaurant and when the sound is turned down on the news channel the sub-titles are 30 seconds behind what’s happening on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Sub-titles on English speaking films or tv and I don’t know how to switch them off. I can’t stop reading them and end up missing the action. Alternatively there’s a telly in my works restaurant and when the sound is turned down on the news channel the sub-titles are 30 seconds behind what’s happening on the screen.
    I've had this with hotel room TVs before. If you go into the TV menu, there should be an option to go into Settings (or something similarly-worded) and then Accessibility (or something similarly-worded). There should be an option there to remove the subtitles.

Last couple of times it happened to me it wasn't subtitles, it was where a narrator described the scene in between the characters' dialogue.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I've had this with hotel room TVs before. If you go into the TV menu, there should be an option to go into Settings (or something similarly-worded) and then Accessibility (or something similarly-worded). There should be an option there to remove the subtitles.

Last couple of times it happened to me it wasn't subtitles, it was where a narrator described the scene in between the characters' dialogue.
    The last paragraph, audio description, same problem, sometimes it gets switched on by mistake and I never remember how to switch it off.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Blog Entries
    Repeat of an earlier peeve but only because it’s alarmingly on the increase.......... young (mainly) females self harming by having their lips filled with silicone. Do they really think it improves their attractiveness or do they harbour regrets that they weren’t born as a trout?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Repeat of an earlier peeve but only because it’s alarmingly on the increase.......... young (mainly) females self harming by having their lips filled with silicone. Do they really think it improves their attractiveness or do they harbour regrets that they weren’t born as a trout?
    Looks horrendous. And is incredibly dangerous apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

This is seemingly quite an unregulated thing at the moment so it is relatively easy to set up a business and do this. Sure I did read somewhere that the government want to tighten it up so that only qualified professionals can do it. At the moment its a license to print money for these private botox nurses.

Talking of hotels, ones that have showers that are too "cool" or "design-y" to indulge the paying guest in some clear red/blue indicator of which way is hot and which way is cold, leaving you to play the "oooh ya *******" game when you either scald or freeze your nads inadvertently.

Also, in general, countries where the cold water doesn't get properly cold, especially in summer when it's just what's needed.