hibs.net Messageboard

Page 216 of 425 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,480 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charities who only accept a minimum contribution and a regular one at that. I’ve just had Red Cross guys at the door looking for a minimum weekly contribution of £3 per week. I said I wouldn’t sign up for a regular donation but would give them a tenner one off. They politely said no thanks and moved on.
    This really bothers me too - there's an armada of charity workers in Glasgow City Centre every day at the minute, all trying to get folks to sign up to D/Ds for £5/£10 a month. Until you receive an email from them or a phone call a month or 2 later asking you to considering upping your contribution.

I'll never sign up to these schemes, and nipping out for lunch is like running a gauntlet against the folks employed to harass members of the public.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This really bothers me too - there's an armada of charity workers in Glasgow City Centre every day at the minute, all trying to get folks to sign up to D/Ds for £5/£10 a month. Until you receive an email from them or a phone call a month or 2 later asking you to considering upping your contribution.

I'll never sign up to these schemes, and nipping out for lunch is like running a gauntlet against the folks employed to harass members of the public.
    There are guidelines for the chugger, they are not supposed to go closer than 5m from shop doors and walk more than 5 steps alongside a potential customer.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Derek McInnes's stupid jacket... WTF is that all about.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

Unfortunately, what you say is true. When I lost my wife to cancer, I made a substantial donation, along with a large sum of money collected at her funeral, to a well known and deserving charity. I also signed up for a modest monthly donation. Left like that, I would have been happy to continue, but I began to get letters asking me to donate more per month, so I cancelled my monthly donation.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Unfortunately, what you say is true. When I lost my wife to cancer, I made a substantial donation, along with a large sum of money collected at her funeral, to a well known and deserving charity. I also signed up for a modest monthly donation. Left like that, I would have been happy to continue, but I began to get letters asking me to donate more per month, so I cancelled my monthly donation.

I donate a monthly sum of money to a mental health charity, initially this through my wages called a give as you scheme but when I changed jobs this ceased but I set it up on my own as a go cardless thing and have kept it running for years now. To the charities credit they've never once asked me to up my donation and never contact me asking questions. I do enjoy the monthly newsletter though.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Folk who write the way they talk. I’ve nothing against how anyone chooses to speak but when you write the way you talk it’s a nightmare trying to understand what’s been written. It must also take twice as long to post in that style as it would to just write in more “normal” English.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Folk who write the way they talk. I’ve nothing against how anyone chooses to speak but when you write the way you talk it’s a nightmare trying to understand what’s been written. It must also take twice as long to post in that style as it would to just write in more “normal” English.
    Wha dya mean like la

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Wha dya mean like la
    Dey do doh, don't dey doh, dey do doh

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Some bloke on Hibs Net posts in a sort of Lowland dialect. Very pretentious.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Some bloke on Hibs Net posts in a sort of Lowland dialect. Very pretentious.
    Fa diz at?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Chewing on the stringy bit of a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Fa diz at?
    Magic 'at?

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Folk having their lunch sitting on the Waverley steps.

When you go into a bank, post office etc why, no matter how many windows they have available do they only ever have 2 open? It's always 2; except when it's really busy, they they have 1.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    People who put their bags in the seat next to window and then sit in the aisle seat.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    People who put their bags in the seat next to window and then sit in the aisle seat.
    That is weird as

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Toast isnt that important really
    What is wrong with you?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    "is it actual?"
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    What is wrong with you?
    Just no a toast fan really

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    When you go into a bank, post office etc why, no matter how many windows they have available do they only ever have 2 open? It's always 2; except when it's really busy, they they have 1.
    Same at the customer service desk in Tesco and Morrisons when you are wanting to take something back. One person on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    I do this. It's a way to reduce the ease with which someone walking past the seat could lift my bag and be off the train before I'm even in the aisle.

Obviously, if it gets busy, I'll move the bag to my lap.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I do this. It's a way to reduce the ease with which someone walking past the seat could lift my bag and be off the train before I'm even in the aisle.

If your bag can fit on your lap or in between your legs I’d always do that in the first instance, or put it in the rack above. It’s not crime if the century but don’t see the need for people to take up two seats most of the time IMO.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post

Nah sorry, there’s no excuse for it.

If you’re scared of it being stolen between your legs and on the ground is the safest place.

How busy would it need to be before you move it? Once all other seats were taken and only yours is left free? In my experience that’s normally what happens, obviously I don’t know you so you may be the exception to this rule of course.

(I don’t actually get busses any more so it doesn’t really bother me, used to though)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People that stink. There was a Greek guy sat three rows in front of me on my flight back from Thessaloniki this morning who smelt like he's been living in an ashtray for at least a decade. Absolutely minging.

Folk that can't eat properly. Woman on the bus chomping away on something and making a right old racket slurping and lip smacking. Sounds like a labrador eating a toffee FFS.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Contactless payments taking over everywhere, whats the script here then?

I was in a boozer a few weeks back after a game, ordered my round from the barman and he came back with my drinks and a contactless/chip and pin card machine and told me how much it was and said is it ok to do contactless? Now I'd never given him an indication that I was going to use my card, indeed I had a £10 note in my hand. I said to him that I'm paying by cash and handed him the tenner, he looked me like I had 2 heads and went pfft everyone uses cards nowadays. I think not chummy boy. I don't live on plastic matey.

I just felt he was a tad presumptuous as I always pay cash in a boozer/club/restaurant, I know I'm not the only one who uses cash. Anyone else had this attitude from staff before?
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

I was in a boozer a few weeks back after a game, ordered my round from the barman and he came back with my drinks and a contactless/chip and pin card machine and told me how much it was and said is it ok to do contactless? Now I'd never given him an indication that I was going to use my card, indeed I had a £10 note in my hand. I said to him that I'm paying by cash and handed him the tenner, he looked me like I had 2 heads and went pfft everyone uses cards nowadays. I think not chummy boy. I don't live on plastic matey.

I just felt he was a tad presumptuous as I always pay cash in a boozer/club/restaurant, I know I'm not the only one who uses cash. Anyone else had this attitude from staff before?
    Not had the attitude but like you it’s always cash for me in pubs and restaurants.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

I encountered something similar in London. It would appear that everyone uses contactless down there, the barman looked at me like I was the weirdo proffering cash rather than card.
    But, I have since added my card to my phone so use Google Pay virtually all the time. I'm not spending more than I would otherwise, I just have less pocketfuls of shrapnel after a night out!

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Nah sorry, there’s no excuse for it.

If you’re scared of it being stolen between your legs and on the ground is the safest place.

How busy would it need to be before you move it? Once all other seats were taken and only yours is left free? In my experience that’s normally what happens, obviously I don’t know you so you may be the exception to this rule of course.

(I don’t actually get busses any more so it doesn’t really bother me, used to though)
    There is rarely enough space for my legs to fit comfortably as it is without putting my bag(s) down there as well. The seats are also cleaner than the floor.

It's a judgement call, so hard to quantify, but I'd estimate about 75% of seats are taken by the time I'd move my bag off a seat.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    When we were over in Mold to watch the Hibees a lot of places preferred cards I stead of cash.The hotel we stayed in operated that system.Was a tad frustrating they would not accept cash.