hibs.net Messageboard

Page 213 of 429 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,390 of 12848

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Left by mutual consent!
    When you are slightly interested in something online and would like to download the brochure, only to be asked for all your personal details so you can get harassed by email and phone for weeks on end by some sales advisor.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you are slightly interested in something online and would like to download the brochure, only to be asked for all your personal details so you can get harassed by email and phone for weeks on end by some sales advisor.
    Do you not just put in fakey details?

Or have a junk email address for such occasions?

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Kayak advert on the tele.

Don’t know why I find the two girls in it so annoying but their faces just wind me up.
    Funny, I hate that advert too but it’s the stupid bit at the end in that stuck up voice that winds me up. “For travel I trust Kayak, for everything else, I trust myself”. Wtf does that even mean?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    McDonalds litterers. Over the last few days the amount of McDonalds bags, cups, paper etc that I have seen that has clearly been chucked out of moving cars is unbelievable. WTF are the people who do that thinking about? If caught these ****ers should be made to do a serious amount of unpaid work tidying litter up. If your one of the folk who do it, seriously get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    McDonalds litterers. Over the last few days the amount of McDonalds bags, cups, paper etc that I have seen that has clearly been chucked out of moving cars is unbelievable. WTF are the people who do that thinking about? If caught these ****ers should be made to do a serious amount of unpaid work tidying litter up. If your one of the folk who do it, seriously get a grip!
    I saw a guy the other night throw a Red Bull can out of his souped up VW Golf window. He was parked at the side of the road so I walked over, picked it up and handed it back to him. I walked about 30 yards down the road and he done it again. I think he was a bit surprised when I went back, picked it up and threw it in his window onto the back seat.

I ****ing hate littering because it's so needless and motivated by nothing other than laziness and selfishness.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I saw a guy the other night throw a Red Bull can out of his souped up VW Golf window. He was parked at the side of the road so I walked over, picked it up and handed it back to him. I walked about 30 yards down the road and he done it again. I think he was a bit surprised when I went back, picked it up and threw it in his window onto the back seat.

I ****ing hate littering because it's so needless and motivated by nothing other than laziness and selfishness.
    Fines are too good for such folk. They should, when caught, have whatever litter they've dropped rammed up their *****.

@hibs.net private member

A new McDonalds opened at Tesco near Dalkeith and sure enough within a day their tossed away rubbish is lying by the road.

The worst examples are on the main roads, by locals.

Left by mutual consent!
    Random one, but Thomas Mueller's face.

Not only does he just look like a prized prick, for some unknown reason it infuriates me that he is 29 but looks 52.

Those Edinburgh city centre adverts on the radio. 'Oh we had lunch and champers on George Street, bought a new scarf on Multrees Walk, went to the rugger then had a late bite to eat on Thistle Street. Edinburgh is great'. Aye good for you. Maybe we can have one reflecting reality:

'My bins haven't been emptied for over a fortnight, I pay half my income in rent for a one bedroom flat, my car is ****ed from driving over pot holes, my local school is oversubscribed, I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment at the Doctors and most of my local shops are vacant lots.'

Well said, guaranteed to see McDonald's litter wherever you go and it's needless. 99% of the culprits are teenagers/ early 20's not wanting the rubbish in their fancy wee souped up motors.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    The upsurge in private cars with drivers who think they can do whatever they f***ing want as long as they give a wee wave to say sorry, just had a barny with one said driver, f***ing earplugs in and smiling away as if nothing was wrong, the passenger didn't look to happy with the driver just pulling out on me, sometimes I wonder if these guys even have driving licences.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Those Edinburgh city centre adverts on the radio. 'Oh we had lunch and champers on George Street, bought a new scarf on Multrees Walk, went to the rugger then had a late bite to eat on Thistle Street. Edinburgh is great'. Aye good for you. Maybe we can have one reflecting reality:

'My bins haven't been emptied for over a fortnight, I pay half my income in rent for a one bedroom flat, my car is ****ed from driving over pot holes, my local school is oversubscribed, I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment at the Doctors and most of my local shops are vacant lots.'
    I haven't enjoyed living in Edinburgh for a couple of years now.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Cheap headphones on public transport..... Had 3 of them on way to work yesterday bleeding the music/hiss out to the rest of us...... I felt like MSK after a night shift!

@hibs.net private member

Shavers

The price of what are simply shavers, a rip off.

Both Gillette and Wilkinson Sword say they spend millions creating a new super shaving blade yet they are all the same.

Vastly over priced for what they are, a real cartel. The Office of fair trading did investigate a few years back but found no collaboration

between the two.....

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

Both Gillette and Wilkinson Sword say they spend millions creating a new super shaving blade yet they are all the same.

Vastly over priced for what they are, a real cartel. The Office of fair trading did investigate a few years back but found no collaboration

between the two.....
    Try buying the women’s version. They add a bit further on for making it pink or whatever colour they change it to.

between the two.....
    A good old fashioned double edge safety razor is the answer.

Better shave and inifinitely better value. The hardware of razor and brush will cost a bit more in the short term but even the top end blades are so much heaper than the cartridge razors Gillette et al are flogging.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Try buying the women’s version. They add a bit further on for making it pink or whatever colour they change it to.
    There's a tv programme shown here every Sunday which explains the science behind everyday things. I normally watch it with my girls and just this weekend they looked at single blade, quadruple blade & ladies razors as well as electric shavers.

To cut a long story short, ladies razors have a more rounded cutting edge compared to standard mens razors.

So there.

@hibs.net private member

between the two.....
    I read somewhere that the blades don't actually go blunt - it's a build up of microscopic bits of soap / hair / skin / whatever that makes them feel like they are. I've got an ultrasonic cleaner and keep meaning to try that on blades to see if it restores them - I'll give it a go next time I have a 'blunt' one and see if it works.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Nursery fees. My boy is 10 and a half months old, now going to nursery a few days a week as both myself and my mrs are back in full time work. The Nursery he goes to charges £50 a day! Also, if we are late in picking him up we get fined £5 for every minute we are late! Robbery!
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Blog Entries
    The overuse of the term ‘life changing’ in TV quiz shows’ prize money. In the past couple of weeks I’ve heard contestants describe £10k, £20k and £30k as ‘life changing’. Certainly a nice wee windfall, but c’mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The overuse of the term ‘life changing’ in TV quiz shows’ prize money. In the past couple of weeks I’ve heard contestants describe £10k, £20k and £30k as ‘life changing’. Certainly a nice wee windfall, but c’mon.
    I suppose if you don't own your own home any of those amounts could be life changing in that it's a deposit or a decent wedge towards one.

The one that gets me is the grand plans people have for far smaller amounts. I watched Pointless the other night and the prize was £1000 between 2. They guy was planning a trip to Australia to see his son, a holiday with his wife and a trip to see a La Liga game. Mate it's £500. It will get you a tank of fuel and a snack at a service station on the way home from the studio.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Nursery fees. My boy is 10 and a half months old, now going to nursery a few days a week as both myself and my mrs are back in full time work. The Nursery he goes to charges £50 a day! Also, if we are late in picking him up we get fined £5 for every minute we are late! Robbery!
    That is brutal.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    What’s an acceptable price for someone looking after your child?

Late fees are a different story, I don’t agree with them and I as a childminder don’t charge them. I’d rather a parent was late than driving like a maniac so they don’t get charged extra.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    We paid that 15 years ago when ours started nursery so given inflation we probably paid more (relatively).
    Re late fees, if parents are late it's not just one person that has to stay behind, for child protection reasons they have to double up or more if more than one set of parents are running late.
    Whilst most parents will be rarely late (if at all), if they are out would be genuine. However, some parents just take the pi$$.
    My (now 15yo) daughter works at an after-school club every other Friday afternoon and my sister manages a club in the South of Edinburgh, some parents treat the facility as if they were a babysitter on £2.50 an hour, turning up late without the decency of phoning ahead and with no regard to the staff possibly needing to be elsewhere.

Whilst the late charge is not welcomed by many (and in fact waived by some clubs if it's a first offence), there has to be something in place to focus the attention of tardy parents.

My bairns at nursery for 3 half days a week. Each half day is £24 but for that she gets breakfast, a snack and lunch as well as one adult to every 3 or 4 bairns (the exact number escapes me). Don't get me wrong it puts a strain on finances when only one of us is working full time but I don't think it's extortion.

Re the late charges I think it's to deter those who would treat the pick up time as advisory. I was at a funeral a few weeks back and was going to be 10 minutes late, phoned ahead and they were absolutely fine about it and never charged because it was a one off.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    My boy enjoyed 4 years of free nursery. For me it's unbelievable that parents have to pay to go back to work. If they decide to be stay at home parents then fair doos but surely it's in the interest of society to get parents back at work paying taxes instead of drawing benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    My boy enjoyed 4 years of free nursery. For me it's unbelievable that parents have to pay to go back to work. If they decide to be stay at home parents then fair doos but surely it's in the interest of society to get parents back at work paying taxes instead of drawing benefits.
    correct. As a non parent, all it does is encourage those who are boardline able to afford it or those who will lose money by working and paying for child care, to not work and save by default.

it's a nonsense - we should be encouraging adults of a working age to work when it it's wholly reasonable that they can and would want to if all other things were equal.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    What’s an acceptable price for someone looking after your child?

Late fees are a different story, I don’t agree with them and I as a childminder don’t charge them. I’d rather a parent was late than driving like a maniac so they don’t get charged extra.

You don’t do Saturdays do you? Struggling to find care on Saturdays, my mrs has to work every Saturday and I’ve either come off a nightshift or at the game.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    You don’t do Saturdays do you? Struggling to find care on Saturdays, my mrs has to work every Saturday and I’ve either come off a nightshift or at the game.
    Haha no, I don’t even do Fridays!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    correct. As a non parent, all it does is encourage those who are boardline able to afford it or those who will lose money by working and paying for child care, to not work and save by default.

it's a nonsense - we should be encouraging adults of a working age to work when it it's wholly reasonable that they can and would want to if all other things were equal.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    We have three kids and the childcare costs were so high that my wife ended up doing up her own business working from home as it was far more cost effective than trying to work in an employed position.

It reduced our earning potential but we're still probably better off than trying to finance the childcare.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net