hibs.net Messageboard

Page 204 of 429 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,120 of 12842

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The low cut waistecoats that seem to be in fashion these days. They look awful IMO. I like a waistcoat with a suit but these new types are an abomination!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How else am I meant to vape in the shower while I de-crease my clothes?
    You should really decrease your clothes before you get in the shower.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    That guy on "come dine with me"
    Speak properly you twat
    He’s a legend

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve probably mentioned it before, but people who press the button and immediately walk across the road at pedestrian crossings. If the road is clear just cross without pressing the button. It’s not at pedestrian crossings that it’s a problem, it’s at normal junctions. The idiot presses the button and crosses and a couple of minutes later the traffic is left at a standstill while no one is crossing the road. I see it every day and it does my nut in.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’ve probably mentioned it before, but people who press the button and immediately walk across the road at pedestrian crossings. If the road is clear just cross without pressing the button. It’s not at pedestrian crossings that it’s a problem, it’s at normal junctions. The idiot presses the button and crosses and a couple of minutes later the traffic is left at a standstill while no one is crossing the road. I see it every day and it does my nut in.
    I've started lowering the window and shouting abuse at people who do this, now. There should be a rule that if you press the button then you must wait for the green man, and if you break that rule you should be horsewhipped, or better. There's hardly any pedestrian crossings in Edinburgh that able-bodied adults really need to press buttons at, except during rush hours. It's just a lazy, sloppy, selfish habit which adds hugely to cyclists' and motorists' journey times, pollution, lung diseases, etc etc etc.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I've started lowering the window and shouting abuse at people who do this, now. There should be a rule that if you press the button then you must wait for the green man, and if you break that rule you should be horsewhipped, or better. There's hardly any pedestrian crossings in Edinburgh that able-bodied adults really need to press buttons at, except during rush hours. It's just a lazy, sloppy, selfish habit which adds hugely to cyclists' and motorists' journey times, pollution, lung diseases, etc etc etc.
    There should be a cancel button at crossings.

If there's traffic when I get to a crossing, I'll push the button. If there's an adequate break in the traffic before I get a green Man, I'll walk.

I find it very rarely happens though. It's either a busy junction that means I can't walk, or it's a crossing that goes to red quite quickly for the cars. But that's because I'm usually walking at peak times I guess.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    There should be a cancel button at crossings.

If there's traffic when I get to a crossing, I'll push the button. If there's an adequate break in the traffic before I get a green Man, I'll walk.

I find it very rarely happens though. It's either a busy junction that means I can't walk, or it's a crossing that goes to red quite quickly for the cars. But that's because I'm usually walking at peak times I guess.
    Same for me, push the button and wait, if a break in traffic comes before the green man I will cross, don’t see the problem really.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Same for me, push the button and wait, if a break in traffic comes before the green man I will cross, don’t see the problem really.
    The problem is that most of the time you can anticipate there'll be a break in traffic in a few moments, so why not just wait for that break so that the traffic can continue to flow? 10 cars stopping and starting when there was no need just pumps more crap into the atmosphere and people's lungs.

Way I look at it is, every time you unnecessarily press the button, you unnecessarily shorten someone's life. Whereas every time you look right, look left, look right again, then cross if it's safe to do so, you lengthen someone's life.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 11-11-2018 at 08:36 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I never used to press the button to cross the road, im generally pretty good at getting across myself but in recent times drivers have became such dicks to pedestrians, especially the ones who shout out their windows, i now press the button just before i cross, because I can

Why the hell im expected to thank someone for stopping at a zebra crossing is quite beyond me. They do get a bit upset when i dont though.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The problem is that most of the time you can anticipate there'll be a break in traffic in a few moments, so why not just wait for that break so that the traffic can continue to flow? 10 cars stopping and starting when there was no need just pumps more crap into the atmosphere and people's lungs.

Way I look at it is, every time you unnecessarily press the button, you unnecessarily shorten someone's life. Whereas every time you look right, look left, look right again, then cross if it's safe to do so, you lengthen someone's life.
    The way I look at it is that as a driver I have to stop either way if the person's pressed the button, whether they've crossed before the lights or waited. It doesn't bother me.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The way I look at it is that as a driver I have to stop either way if the person's pressed the button, whether they've crossed before the lights or waited. It doesn't bother me.
    But you don't have to stop if the button hasn't been pressed, and the pedestrian has just crossed the road, like Mrs S used to above. It's not compulsory to press the button, just because it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    I never used to press the button to cross the road, im generally pretty good at getting across myself but in recent times drivers have became such dicks to pedestrians, especially the ones who shout out their windows, i now press the button just before i cross, because I can
    I don't really shout out of the window. I do, however, every time it happens, say a silent prayer for all those with lung problems whose lives are being unnecessarily shortened.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't really shout out of the window. I do, however, every time it happens, say a silent prayer for all those with lung problems whose lives are being unnecessarily shortened.
    Well try leaving the car and waliking. Your car is as much part of the problem as everybody elses. As a pedestrian im happy to take the risk just to annoy some arrogant drivers

You definitely overthink crossing the road!

@hibs.net private member

Sheer bad manners. If I need to explain.........

Pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing is just like waiting in a queue in a supermarket, you wait but if an opportunity comes to get served immediately you move and take that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Sheer bad manners. If I need to explain.........
    😂

If there's an obvious gap coming up I tend not to push the button. If I'm not sure I push the button but if a gap I didn't anticipate appears then I'll cross. I don't really get the problem as either driver or pedestrian.

Drivers who don't stop at zebra crossings are utter erseholes though. One stupid woman clipped my bairns stroller, admittedly at low speed, the other week because she carried on driving even though I was half way across the road. She even had the cheek to tell me to calm down and grow up when I, understandably imo, lost the plot a bit.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If there's an obvious gap coming up I tend not to push the button. If I'm not sure I push the button but if a gap I didn't anticipate appears then I'll cross. I don't really get the problem as either driver or pedestrian.

Drivers who don't stop at zebra crossings are utter erseholes though. One stupid woman clipped my bairns stroller, admittedly at low speed, the other week because she carried on driving even though I was half way across the road. She even had the cheek to tell me to calm down and grow up when I, understandably imo, lost the plot a bit.
    I'm with you on that one, there's a crossing at the Tesco near my house that loads of kids use to get to the primary school next to it, and the number of times I've seen drivers drive straight over it with kids either about to cross or already on the crossing is unreal.

Been a few times where parents have nearly come to how's with careless drivers over it, and I've seen a few cars take a boot or a handbag on anger as it's gone through the crossing.

Spending a wholesome afternoon making tomato and chilli chutney with some Scotch Bonnets. Then going to the toilet before washing my hands.......
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Spending a wholesome afternoon making tomato and chilli chutney with some Scotch Bonnets. Then going to the toilet before washing my hands.......
    I feel your pain.

Metaphorically and empathetically, obvs

@hibs.net private member
    But you don't have to stop if the button hasn't been pressed, and the pedestrian has just crossed the road, like Mrs S used to above. It's not compulsory to press the button, just because it's there.
    they’ve not been brought up correctly.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing is just like waiting in a queue in a supermarket, you wait but if an opportunity comes to get served immediately you move and take that opportunity.
    The thing that annoys me isn’t people pressing the button and waiting, it’s the people who press it and immediately just cross. I see it all the time. The worse place for it is at the top of dundas street. People are walking down from the town and press the button and just walk across the road. The green man comes on after every red light as well.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    People that wear ill fitting kilts.

I love wearing my kilt and I think it’s great to see at weddings then you inevitably get that one guy wearing what’s basically a mini skirt and it makes a mockery of it.

I just don’t understand how kilt shops can get it so wrong so often?!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    People that wear ill fitting kilts.

I love wearing my kilt and I think it’s great to see at weddings then you inevitably get that one guy wearing what’s basically a mini skirt and it makes a mockery of it.

I just don’t understand how kilt shops can get it so wrong so often?!
    To be fair, kilts seem to change shape over time. Each time I’ve put my kilt on it seems to have inexplicably shrunk around the waist since the last time 😂

Well try leaving the car and waliking. Your car is as much part of the problem as everybody elses. As a pedestrian im happy to take the risk just to annoy some arrogant drivers
    It's a nice idea but it doesn't really work if your work involves delivering heavy stuff. I do, however, make a point of minimising my own harmful emissions by not slowing down, stopping and then starting up again at pedestrian crossings. I just drive straight through in the expectation that whoever has pressed the button has already crossed, safely, by themselves.

@hibs.net private member
    It's a nice idea but it doesn't really work if your work involves delivering heavy stuff. I do, however, make a point of minimising my own harmful emissions by not slowing down, stopping and then starting up again at pedestrian crossings. I just drive straight through in the expectation that whoever has pressed the button has already crossed, safely, by themselves.
    You need to invest in a wheelbarrow. Less emissions, more exercise.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm going to enjoy every pedestrian crossing button I press tomorrow.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    I was thinking the same

I was thinking the same
    Murderers,