hibs.net Messageboard

Page 203 of 429 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,090 of 12842

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Non-iron shirts. Just a lie.
    I wear shirts every work day and travel a lot. Never tried them but was curious as to whether they were effective. Are they really that bad?

(Top travel tip - if you do have to pack shirts, iron them first, then when you unpack, hang them in your hotel bathroom and turn the shower on full heat for twenty minutes - all the creases come out due to the steam).
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I wear shirts every work day and travel a lot. Never tried them but was curious as to whether they were effective. Are they really that bad?

(Top travel tip - if you do have to pack shirts, iron them first, then when you unpack, hang them in your hotel bathroom and turn the shower on full heat for twenty minutes - all the creases come out due to the steam).
    Unless my washing machine folds the shirts more than Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin expected then yes they’re just like any other shirt.

Good tip - I usually just unfold and hang up. If really bad I get the iron out (again)...

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

And we're wondering why our environment is changing and trying to kill us.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Unless my washing machine folds the shirts more than Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin expected then yes they’re just like any other shirt.

Good tip - I usually just unfold and hang up. If really bad I get the iron out (again)...
    Cheers, I'll give them a swerve.

As for hotels, their irons are usually horrendous and spill brown staining water. Best avoided. The other thing to do is a cheap investment in a couple of foldable travel hangers - lots of hotels have those ones that clip into a lock on the rail so you can't take them into the bathroom.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    And we're wondering why our environment is changing and trying to kill us.
    Ideally, we can move away from what we wear now and wear the non-ironable and seemingly never-washable outfits that we saw in 'Logan's Run' and 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'

It wasn't just jet packs we were promised

Ideally, we can move away from what we wear now and wear the non-ironable and seemingly never-washable outfits that we saw in 'Logan's Run' and 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'

It wasn't just jet packs we were promised
    If you keep using 30 000 litres of water and 5 000 megawatts to steam iron shirts, then we'll all be able to run around in the scud by 2027. That said, in 2027 my birthday suit will need ironing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    If you keep using 30 000 litres of water and 5 000 megawatts to steam iron shirts, then we'll all be able to run around in the scud by 2027. That said, in 2027 my birthday suit will need ironing too.
    Not sure what point you are making, but if you are criticising steaming shirts while in the shower or even when not in the shower, then okay. I should maybe just plug in an iron and use electricity that way?

From what you've posted, you earn your income in the aviation industry though, which obviously contributes to positive climate change

Think you are in a glass house throwing stones and I bet my occasional shower with a shirt in the bathroom doesn't add up to 0.0001% cent of what you do on a daily basis.

Either way, air travel isn't environmentally friendly, and me using electricity to steam shirts isn't either. I try to limit it by hacks like hanging my clothes up while I shower.

To end on a positive note, maybe you could share what passengers could or should do on flights to be more eco-friendly? Most sensibly-minded folk would be receptive IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    folk getting "uefa" wrong.
    eufa

Not sure what point you are making, but if you are criticising steaming shirts while in the shower or even when not in the shower, then okay. I should maybe just plug in an iron and use electricity that way?

From what you've posted, you earn your income in the aviation industry though, which obviously contributes to positive climate change

Think you are in a glass house throwing stones and I bet my occasional shower with a shirt in the bathroom doesn't add up to 0.0001% cent of what you do on a daily basis.

Either way, air travel isn't environmentally friendly, and me using electricity to steam shirts isn't either. I try to limit it by hacks like hanging my clothes up while I shower.

To end on a positive note, maybe you could share what passengers could or should do on flights to be more eco-friendly? Most sensibly-minded folk would be receptive IMO.
    I think there's good and bad environmental aspects of air travel. The bad mainly being that it causes large areas of natural land to be croncreted over to build airports. On the plus it's far more environmentally friendly to transport 400 people per aircraft than by other tradtional fossel fuelled methods.

P.S. You didn't say you were in the shower at the time so I had visions of you at the bar whilst your shirt was er......... ironing

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

They're not bad. For them to be non iron, I find I need to remove them from the washing machine straight away and dry them on a hanger. If I do that then generally you get away without ironing them.

They are definitely easier to iron than a lot of normal shirts so still an improvement.

Vaping. I got a whiff of strawberry recently behind a vaper.

Surely, you'd want your vape to taste like tobacco?

It's a free world I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Vaping. I got a whiff of strawberry recently behind a vaper.

Surely, you'd want your vape to taste like tobacco?

It's a free world I suppose.
    Depends whether you're vaping to give up smoking or just reducing your tobacco use. Vaping tobacco flavours makes it harder to give up completely.

Work colleagues. Not anyone specifically, just in general. I'm convinced workplaces are made up of about 5% of people who actually do the job they are paid to, 4% who do their job and then go 'over and above' to pick up the slack, 1% who have the authority to delegate to the above groups and then 90% of people are essentially just being paid appearance money and maybe send the odd email or shuffle some paper on a Monday morning.

I've sat opposite the same woman since I started. She has been at our company about double the time I have and anytime anything a bit out the ordinary comes up there's a sigh and always, ****ing always, a 'I don't even know where to start with this'. So I show her something she has seen 50 times before and we move on then it's 'can I just check....' then I check and inevitably say 'no that's wrong you need to...' and I get a 'I'm just not getting it' so I end up just taking the whole thing as it saves time for everyone. She sits with a little smirk and goes back to reading the Daily Mail online or whatever she is paid to do. I just want to grab her and tell her this is your ****ing job you lazy, workshy, coniving freeloader. This is repeated across the board. Someone calls for accounts and you try to hand it over: 'take a message' so you take a message, pass it on and 3 days later get a phone call from an irate person who hasn't had a call back. Try to pass that on? 'Just take a message'. Someone requests a call back about a product and their account handler will 'get round to it'; as sure as night follows day you'll get a call back the next day asking why no one has been in touch. 'Oh I forgot, you couldn't just sort that for me mate?' Aye no bother I'll push back stuff for my customers so I can bump up your sales figures.

I'm going to set up a business as a dog walker or something. Talking to dogs all day has to be preferable to dealing with the shower of cretins I share a carpet with all week. And they wonder why I don't go on work nights out.

@hibs.net private member
    You have hit the nail on the head, Pretty Boy.

It used to astonish me that these type of slackers survive, but they do. It's called playing the game. Do as little as possible but just enough

to not arouse managerial concerns. They rely on someone with a conscience to unwittingly cover for them. They truly don't give a hoot.

The only thing they get is their just deserts - they will always be sitting across the desk with no hope or ambition whereas you will move higher.

Just remember to move up asap. Good luck!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    What I find strange is that, for me at least, the working day seems to pass a lot quicker if you, erm, work.

I'm lucky in that I enjoy my job, but last week I had a situation where I was at an impasse on each of the 3-4 projects I'm working on (waiting for information, client decisions, etc.). It was brutal as I couldn't find anything worthwhile to get my teeth into.

I'm well capable of stopping for a blether or having a squint at the Internet, but I definitely find working far more fulfilling than kidding on.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 05-11-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    What I find strange is that, for me at least, the working day seems to pass a lot quicker if you, erm, work.

I'm lucky in that I enjoy my job, but last week I had a situation where I was at an impasse on each of the 3-4 projects I'm working on (waiting for information, client decisions, etc.). It was brutal as I couldn't find anything worthwhile to get my teeth into.

I'm well capable of stopping for a blether or having a squint at the interney, but I definitely find working far more fulfilling than kidding on.
    Agreed. Problem I’ve got is I’ve no work to do so I hate my job . Thankfully they’ve let me start working from home so I at least now get to spend about half my week doing nothing while at home!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

All fun and games until you set the smoke alarms off... Been there and done that!
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    All fun and games until you set the smoke alarms off... Been there and done that!
    Deary me Sean.

Always travel with a wee plastic bag and a few elastic bands, bag over detector and elastic band over them, hey presto.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Deary me Sean.

Always travel with a wee plastic bag and a few elastic bands, bag over detector and elastic band over them, hey presto.
    Also handy if you Vape as well

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Food that has a bit of wrapper that sticks to it when you open it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

The phrasing "I identify as...".

First Team Breakthrough

WHAM bars are terrible for this

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post

Black jacks and fruit salads were a nightmare for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post

Careless Wispas too! ☺

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Careless Wispas too! ☺

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Not always wise to cover detectors as some systems can show this up as a fault and can say which room or section is faulty

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Not always wise to cover detectors as some systems can show this up as a fault and can say which room or section is faulty
    Or there may be a genuine fire in your room which goes undetected at the earliest possible stage, costing your life and the lives of others...Just saying.

Edam, when the rind doesn't peel off in a one go

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Folk who get on the train carriage at the opposite end to where their seats are with big bags/suitcases and haul them the full length. It’s not difficult to look at the seating numbers at the door before you board.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Or there may be a genuine fire in your room which goes undetected at the earliest possible stage, costing your life and the lives of others...Just saying.
    How else am I meant to vape in the shower while I de-crease my clothes?