Page 201 of 427 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,030 of 12799

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious why?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

In the rare cases where they die on holiday and their families cannot afford repatriation.

It costs several thousands, I believe. Insurance is about £15 per week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Those on overseas holidays who don't have insurance.
    Agreed, the amount of crowd funding, pleas for help from folk sick I’ll or injured without insurance is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 13-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    In the rare cases where they die on holiday and their families cannot afford repatriation.

It costs several thousands, I believe. Insurance is about £15 per week.
    Gotcha ta.

Two from me and they are linked.

Firstly people who don't adhere to rules at an events, organisers who don't enforce the rules and why we leave the rules in place if they aren't enforceable or there's no desire to do so. I was running at the weekend and the rules clearly stated only bone conduction headphones were allowed, breach of this rule was a disqualification. At the start there was the inevitable site of hundreds of runners putting all manner of headphones into their ears and setting of. Do I want to see people disqualified for this considering a lot of people train with music? Probably not but it's annoying. Firstly on tighter stretches of track or road if I want to overtake someone I often can't because they can't hear me coming and carry on blocking people behind them oblivious to anything else going on. Secondly if the rule isn't going to be enforced just get rid of it; state on the entry form that if you can't hear traffic, other runners or marshals then any injury or accident is your responsibility and be done with it.

The second peeve is littering. I ****ing despise littering. It's so pointless and it's just unadulterated laziness. At the same running event a lady in front of me went into her pocket, took out an energy gel, used it then threw the empty wrapper on the ground. Why? If you can carry it full then why can't you carry it empty? I picked it up and handed it to her and said 'I think you dropped this.' She seemed a bit puzzled for some reason. Again it was stated in the rules litter should be disposed of properly, I often find this is a particularly common way of acting amongst active people who really should know better. The number of hillwalkers I see tossing banana peels and the like onto the ground on mountains is scary. When you challenge them you get a 'it will degrade mate'. Maybe at 20 degrees over a few months but at -1 near the summit of a mountain it's going to lie there for years. These lazy barstewards rely on other people cleaning up after them though and they know someone else will pick it up.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The second peeve is littering. I ****ing despise littering. It's so pointless and it's just unadulterated laziness. At the same running event a lady in front of me went into her pocket, took out an energy gel, used it then threw the empty wrapper on the ground. Why? If you can carry it full then why can't you carry it empty? I picked it up and handed it to her and said 'I think you dropped this.' She seemed a bit puzzled for some reason. Again it was stated in the rules litter should be disposed of properly, I often find this is a particularly common way of acting amongst active people who really should know better. The number of hillwalkers I see tossing banana peels and the like onto the ground on mountains is scary. When you challenge them you get a 'it will degrade mate'. Maybe at 20 degrees over a few months but at -1 near the summit of a mountain it's going to lie there for years. These lazy barstewards rely on other people cleaning up after them though and they know someone else will pick it up.
    Amen to all that, though I don't think active people should be singled out for special scorn. The huge amount of litter on roads leading into and out of Edinburgh is almost all thrown there by people sitting on their ***** in cars. More trouble to lower the window than to take your crap home with you, but there you go. They've paid their road tax - who are we to tell them how to behave?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Amen to all that, though I don't think active people should be singled out for special scorn. The huge amount of litter on roads leading into and out of Edinburgh is almost all thrown there by people sitting on their ***** in cars. More trouble to lower the window than to take your crap home with you, but there you go. They've paid their road tax - who are we to tell them how to behave?

McDonalds cars parks and the general area of roads around McDonalds are bad for litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Two from me and they are linked.

Firstly people who don't adhere to rules at an events, organisers who don't enforce the rules and why we leave the rules in place if they aren't enforceable or there's no desire to do so. I was running at the weekend and the rules clearly stated only bone conduction headphones were allowed, breach of this rule was a disqualification. At the start there was the inevitable site of hundreds of runners putting all manner of headphones into their ears and setting of. Do I want to see people disqualified for this considering a lot of people train with music? Probably not but it's annoying. Firstly on tighter stretches of track or road if I want to overtake someone I often can't because they can't hear me coming and carry on blocking people behind them oblivious to anything else going on. Secondly if the rule isn't going to be enforced just get rid of it; state on the entry form that if you can't hear traffic, other runners or marshals then any injury or accident is your responsibility and be done with it.

I really hate littering, people who leave rubbish on a train instead of putting it into the bin. I do the same PB, excuse me but you left this on your seat

People in tenement buildings that are quite happy for others to put out their bins, without a word of thanks. My old man has stopped doing it at last. The oldest folk in the stair put theirs out, seems to be below the younger folk in the stair.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    People in tenement buildings that are quite happy for others to put out their bins, without a word of thanks. My old man has stopped doing it at last. The oldest folk in the stair put theirs out, seems to be below the younger folk in the stair.
    Nobody takes a turn cleaning the stairs either. Were they born in a barn?

With all the rented flats now, the life in stairs has really deteriorated.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

No-one wants to clean a stair but often folks are willing to chip in to pay someone else to do it. Sometimes just needs someone to start a ball rolling.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

Life in stairs is gruesome when you realise that this week is your turn for the back passage.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Life in stairs is gruesome when you realise that this week is your turn for the back passage.

I shouldnt really laugh but this comment has cracked me up

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    It must have been covered already, impatient folk at baggage carousels.
    Just back from a (wet) week away on the Costa Blanca and both going there, and on the return we encountered the same idiots at the baggage reclaim carousel,,,, most people were standing back a bit so you could see the bags coming along but this family barged in and blocked off about 4 metres with themselves and trolleys then proceeded to poke at nearly every bag that passed (is this ours, is this ours, is this ours?).

An exasperating experience!

Folk who say eXpresso rather than eSpresso.

It doesn't really matter obviously but it really grates on me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Modern day Coffee snobs.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    No-one wants to clean a stair but often folks are willing to chip in to pay someone else to do it. Sometimes just needs someone to start a ball rolling.
    People are feared to engage with their fellow stair dwellers though. It's a sign of the times and quite scary.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    It must have been covered already, impatient folk at baggage carousels.
    Just back from a (wet) week away on the Costa Blanca and both going there, and on the return we encountered the same idiots at the baggage reclaim carousel,,,, most people were standing back a bit so you could see the bags coming along but this family barged in and blocked off about 4 metres with themselves and trolleys then proceeded to poke at nearly every bag that passed (is this ours, is this ours, is this ours?).

An exasperating experience!
    Anyone standing with their shins against the carousel should be tasered - You could still approach carefully over the twitching bodies to reach your case, and the view would be quite clear.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Queuing, I'm at Disneyland Paris and wondering why the **** I've done this to myself....AGAIN

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Queuing, I'm at Disneyland Paris and wondering why the **** I've done this to myself....AGAIN
    You keep going to those mickey mouse outfits.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Trying to distinguish which of MWC’s posts are satire and which are serious.

Facebook. I hate Facebook. However, I need it for info on the kids activities (my own, not other peoples).

Dog-gate caught my eye, next thing you lose half and hour reading comments of strangers with poor spelling going radge at strangers with equally bad spelling.

**** you zuckerberg!!!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    After scoring a goal, football players all seem to point a finger on each hand towards the sky and look up at it whilst mumbling something.

Messi started it, I think, but everyone's getting in on the act.

Does my head in.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    After scoring a goal, football players all seem to point a finger on each hand towards the sky and look up at it whilst mumbling something.

Does my head in.
    Steven Fletcher was doing it before Messi I think.

On a similar note it seems to be the done thing now for sportsman to talk to each other behind their hands now, I know why they’re apparently doing it but gee us peace, It’s not necessary all the time is it?!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Steven Fletcher was doing it before Messi I think.

On a similar note it seems to be the done thing now for sportsman to talk to each other behind their hands now, I know why they’re apparently doing it but gee us peace, It’s not necessary all the time is it?!
    Yes, that irks too.

It's as if every word they say is hugely important, top secret and valuable.

Up themselves.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member

Does my head in.

John Collins did it at Hampden after the League Cup win in 2007. At least he said it was for his late father.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    John Collins did it at Hampden after the League Cup win in 2007. At least he said it was for his late father.
    Fletcher also does it as a tribute to his father. Messi does it as a tribute to his grandmother as she is the one that used to take him to training as a kid and Danny Swason did it as a tribute to his pal Shaun.

Not something that peeves me in the slightest tbh

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The loss of a sense of humour in society in general these days.

Folk are desperate to take offence - and I'm not talking PC brigade stuff here, I consider myself to be PC and have a good idea (I think) of where the lines are that shouldn't be crossed.

I know the calendar thread (for those of an age) want everyone's cup of tea, or the 'blame Petrie' thread, but they had some genuinely funny posts in them that simply wouldn't fly these days without people taking the hump and the thread ending up being locked down or whatever as nobody can take a joke.

The fact that people have to spell out that they're not being serious sometimes is criminal, imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Facebook. I hate Facebook. However, I need it for info on the kids activities (my own, not other peoples).

Dog-gate caught my eye, next thing you lose half and hour reading comments of strangers with poor spelling going radge at strangers with equally bad spelling.

**** you zuckerberg!!!
    Totally agree, a good idea to keep in touch with friends and family maybe all over the world turned into an invasive monster. Full of fake ****, people sharing fake **** and crap you're not interested in. I've just unfriended the vast majority of my friends (who I see all the time anyway) and once I get alternative contact details from the others, whatsapp etc. it's getting binned.

Left by mutual consent!

Does my head in.
    Andy Murray does it. Possible/probable Dunblane connection? For an old atheist like me it's utterly pointless, but if the player concerned genuinely feels emotional and in his head wants to dedicate a win or a goal to absent friends or family then I see no problem.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The loss of a sense of humour in society in general these days.

Folk are desperate to take offence - and I'm not talking PC brigade stuff here, I consider myself to be PC and have a good idea (I think) of where the lines are that shouldn't be crossed.

I know the calendar thread (for those of an age) want everyone's cup of tea, or the 'blame Petrie' thread, but they had some genuinely funny posts in them that simply wouldn't fly these days without people taking the hump and the thread ending up being locked down or whatever as nobody can take a joke.

The fact that people have to spell out that they're not being serious sometimes is criminal, imho.
    Couldn't agree more. I made a similar point before actually using both those threads as examples.