hibs.net Messageboard

Page 178 of 427 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 12804

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Back to pet peeves...

Flies.

The stupid fockers bash themselves up and down the windows trying to get out, but when I go to open one for them, they invariably fly back into the room and it all starts again later.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holiday snobs.

We had a baby last year and have started sticking a wee bit aside every month for a trip to Florida in a few years when she’s old enough to appreciate it. Unfortunately I don’t own a time machine so I’m unable to transport my family planning back to 2002 nor am I infinitely wealthy so dropping a few grand at the drop of a hat to do what we want to do isn’t an option.

If my presence annoys those ‘we’ve been here before don’t you know’ types then all the better as far as I’m concerned.
    You could add:

Car Snobs
    House Snobs
    Apartment/ Time Share Snobs
    Clothes Snobs
    Restaurant Snobs
    etc etc etc

Some folk just don't get that it's not always down to finance either. The "surely you could afford it comment" really irks me. I'm not materialistic in the least and am now at that point in my life that finance isn't an issue (not mega wealthy) but in a very good position to do what we want re holidays, cars etc. "Keeping up with the Jones's" ain't for me though.

Sara Pascoe, if you've heard her you'll know the reason.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post

Did you know she's a vegan, i'm sure she's mentioned it once or twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Those threads have never been the same since Fenlon left.
    Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon for killing transfer deadline day stone dead with their acceptable recruitment early in transfer windows.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    ... and I thought she was from Skye because I'm sure someone called her a Dumvegan.

The price of fuel. Scandalous.

A couple of month ago I was paying as little as 113.7 a litre. Same petrol station today is 124.9 and I've seen a few at 127 and 128. That's in the city so God knows what it's like on motorways or in the country.

Where are rebellious HGV drivers when you need them?

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

A couple of month ago I was paying as little as 113.7 a litre. Same petrol station today is 124.9 and I've seen a few at 127 and 128. That's in the city so God knows what it's like on motorways or in the country.

Agree but also understand the economics behind it, the weak pound, rising oil price, fuel priced in dollars, it all adds up to costing us more. What I really hate is how quickly it shoots up, the fuel sitting in the tanks was bought and paid for weeks if not months ago on a contract basis, but price goes up overnight, should be illegal to sell it at the higher price until the old stock is sold out.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

I had to top up last week at the services off junction 9 of the M9 - Stirling services basically.

It was 148.9 for diesel. I nearly felt obliged to ask the assistant why they weren't wearing a strippit jumper and an eye mask.

Harthill is just as bad.

I understand it - if you need to fuel up then your options are limited so the provider can charge a premium - but it's still a sore one.

Better planning would help but my work diary can change at quite short notice, so I'm sometimes stuck for options about where to go.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I had to top up last week at the services off junction 9 of the M9 - Stirling services basically.

It was 148.9 for diesel. I nearly felt obliged to ask the assistant why they weren't wearing a strippit jumper and an eye mask.

Harthill is just as bad.

I understand it - if you need to fuel up then your options are limited so the provider can charge a premium - but it's still a sore one.

Better planning would help but my work diary can change at quite short notice, so I'm sometimes stuck for options about where to go.
    Car companies providing MPG figures whilst Garages sell fuel in litres....(approximately £6.77 per gallon at those prices. Robbing bar stewards)

Holiday snobs.

We had a baby last year and have started sticking a wee bit aside every month for a trip to Florida in a few years when she’s old enough to appreciate it. Unfortunately I don’t own a time machine so I’m unable to transport my family planning back to 2002 nor am I infinitely wealthy so dropping a few grand at the drop of a hat to do what we want to do isn’t an option.

If my presence annoys those ‘we’ve been here before don’t you know’ types then all the better as far as I’m concerned.

Apologies if I caused offence PB

my issue is with how some (and I do emphasise, some) British people behave on holiday, being obnoxious, treating locals like crap, throwing out the “You’ve only got a job because of folk like me” type comments, boorish and rudeness abound. I’ve seen this in a number of places abroad, not just Florida.

I have no doubts that you, your partner and your wee one will have a blast when you go. You’ve never struck me as anything like what I’ve described, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourselves
    Last edited by McD; 04-06-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Apologies if I caused offence PB

my issue is with how some (and I do emphasise, some) British people behave on holiday, being obnoxious, treating locals like crap, throwing out the “You’ve only got a job because of folk like me” type comments, boorish and rudeness abound. I’ve seen this in a number of places abroad, not just Florida.

I have no doubts that you, your partner and your wee one will have a blast when you go. You’ve never struck me as anything like what I’ve described, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourselves
    Like the ones in "Shirley Valentine."

[QUOTE=Alfiembra;5423189]Agree but also understand the economics behind it, the weak pound, rising oil price, fuel priced in dollars, it all adds up to costing us more. What I really hate is how quickly it shoots up, the fuel sitting in the tanks was bought and paid for weeks if not months ago on a contract basis, but price goes up overnight, should be illegal to sell it at the higher price until the old stock is sold out.[/QUOTE

Is the pound that weak? It's higher than the last time I went to America.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    [/QUOTEIs the pound that weak? It's higher than the last time I went to America.
    Down about 10% since March

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Down about 10% since March
    4% up since last July

Last 2 months has seen the steepest rise for 18 years. My local station is up another 1p a litre today.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Bavaria lager has gone up by 25% at Lidl. That is a true pet hate!!

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Bavaria lager has gone up by 25% at Lidl. That is a true pet hate!!
    Minimum pricing though isn't it.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Last 2 months has seen the steepest rise for 18 years. My local station is up another 1p a litre today.
    and you can bet it wont fall as quickly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Minimum pricing though isn't it.

Yes, you are right. I worked out the minimum price and that is correct.

Yet Tesco's website has it at £1. Does this apply in Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Yes, you are right. I worked out the minimum price and that is correct.

Yet Tesco's website has it at £1. Does this apply in Scotland?
    Most online sites have a tiny bit of small print saying £xx.xx in Scotland.

Lidl have a handy table showing just how much more they are making off drinker in Scotland compared to the rest of the UK. A 4 pack of pear cider is £1.99 in England and Wales and £4.25 here.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    She hates a rant about equality for women too, its about as funny as Jo Brand telling us she likes cake.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    School trips using public buses. They take up pretty much all of the upper deck, meaning quite often the bus is full and folk trying to go about their business can’t get on the bus and if they do get on then there are no seats. The bus also gets delayed as it takes an absolute age to get them on and off the bus. Not to mention the noise the kids make is horrendous.

I’ve encountered this 4 or 5 times in the last two weeks. It must be school trip season.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    School trips using public buses. They take up pretty much all of the upper deck, meaning quite often the bus is full and folk trying to go about their business can’t get on the bus and if they do get on then there are no seats. The bus also gets delayed as it takes an absolute age to get them on and off the bus. Not to mention the noise the kids make is horrendous.

I’ve encountered this 4 or 5 times in the last two weeks. It must be school trip season.
    I think I'm somewhere near the opposite actually. I quite enjoy the excitement in the youngins' faces as they're out and about away from the classroom for the day, the way they look at us ordinary punters with curiosity and caution like they've never seen adults going about normal business before. Makes a change to being sat with grumpy, smelly, half-cut rude bus regulars that you often share your journey with.

I can see why you would get irritated though.. particularly if in a hurry

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think I'm somewhere near the opposite actually. I quite enjoy the excitement in the youngins' faces as they're out and about away from the classroom for the day, the way they look at us ordinary punters with curiosity and caution like they've never seen adults going about normal business before. Makes a change to being sat with grumpy, smelly, half-cut rude bus regulars that you often share your journey with.

I can see why you would get irritated though.. particularly if in a hurry
    I've never understood why people get annoyed at kids for being kids. We've all been there.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Probably been mentioned already; the small single use dental flossing sticks. A real waste of material, and the number of folk who must use them as they're leaving home and then just toss them on the pavement is disgusting.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

God forbid the kids get excited about a day out

Just be thankful it’s not everyday

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Probably been mentioned already; the small single use dental flossing sticks. A real waste of material, and the number of folk who must use them as they're leaving home and then just toss them on the pavement is disgusting.
    Although I've been aware of these for years I've just noticed them being dumped on my walking commute to the Gyle.
    Over the past few months I've noticed what look like little yellow crucifixes with a small brush like object sticking out the end,,,, some commuter with a dental hygiene fix clearly can't use a bin!

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376

Saving money and helping the environment by using public transport - whats not to like?
    Cant you just wait on the next bus? it'll only be a few minutes behind

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    In my hoose, she's filed in the "No' very funny" section.