hibs.net Messageboard

Page 172 of 427 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 12805

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    In terms of grammar and spelling French is far more complicated than English and, even though I often have to ask my 9 year old daughter for clarification when writing stuff, I can't believe some of the errors made by people I know in texts, emails, FB, etc. I'm convinced that there are some on here who, if they were in my situation, their heads would have exploded long ago.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of grammar and spelling French is far more complicated than English and, even though I often have to ask my 9 year old daughter for clarification when writing stuff, I can't believe some of the errors made by people I know in texts, emails, FB, etc. I'm convinced that there are some on here who, if they were in my situation, their heads would have exploded long ago.

There is nothing worse than listening to a language spoken by natives who don't speak it properly.

You have my sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    There is nothing worse than listening to a language spoken by natives who don't speak it properly.

You have my sympathy.
    That honestly doesn't bother me - I like local dialects. It's more how badly some people write, even those that pretty articulate when speaking.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The worst of the lot is folk who confuse our and are.

I didn't even realise this was a thing but I've had various emails over the last few weeks from 2 different people each mentioning 'are business', 'are house' and 'are restaurant'.
    They might be pirates.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    They might be pirates.
    aaarrrgghhh the sea she be callin me.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    That honestly doesn't bother me - I like local dialects. It's more how badly some people write, even those that pretty articulate when speaking.

When you speak French do you subconsciously speak in the local dialect?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    When you speak French do you subconsciously speak in the local dialect?
    I don't think so - I generally mumble away with my Edinburgh accent, but there are undoubtedly words, expressions and some prononciation that I use that are local. Brittany's different from the rest of France and although the Breton language was never spoken in my neck of the woods, they spoke/speak "Gallo", which is to French what auld Scots is to English (pretty much).

Not being able to read a thread that I started about westworld season 2 as I want to wait till the end and watch them all one after the other. It’s torture every time I see it.

United we stand here....

I don't think so - I generally mumble away with my Edinburgh accent, but there are undoubtedly words, expressions and some prononciation that I use that are local. Brittany's different from the rest of France and although the Breton language was never spoken in my neck of the woods, they spoke/speak "Gallo", which is to French what auld Scots is to English (pretty much).
    This is probably one for the useless facts thread, but the perception of French people with the onions and the bicycle comes from when the Breton men used to come over in the summer and sell onions. The majority of French people are quite perplexed by this as the onion Johnny’s as they were known as were all Bretons and spoke Breton.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This is probably one for the useless facts thread, but the perception of French people with the onions and the bicycle comes from when the Breton men used to come over in the summer and sell onions. The majority of French people are quite perplexed by this as the onion Johnny’s as they were known as were all Bretons and spoke Breton.
    Correct. They decided to jump on boats to sell their onions in Britain as it was easier than using the (then) crap road and rail network between Brittany and other parts of France. They were the inspiration for the formation of Brittany Ferries which was originally mainly for shipping Breton farm produce to the UK. Brittany Ferries head office is in Roscoff, where the majority of the original Johnnys were from.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Definately/definitely!
    I agree on this one, although I think that some folk, who really know it’s ‘definitely’, pronounce it with an emphasise on ‘ately’ for effect ......... It’s still irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I agree on this one, although I think that some folk, who really know it’s ‘definitely’, pronounce it with an emphasise on ‘ately’ for effect ......... It’s still irritating.
    I blame Charlie Nicholas...

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Just had to pull yet another prick up about trying to get on the bus before other people hat had been there longer, currently in the seat right behind him and burning a hole through his heid

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Scrap that earlier whinge, some dude who must be in his early 50s just got on the bus with a ghetto blaster and is pumping out 80s soundtrack tunes hahahaha

Left by mutual consent!
    Job adverts that request "no 9-5 mentality".

Aye no problem mate, 8 till 9 and no getting paid for 5 hours of it suits me grand.

Adding to that, the cringeworthy pish written by recruitment types portraying bog standard office jobs as offering an Indiana Jones esque adventure.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post

Aye no problem mate, 8 till 9 and no getting paid for 5 hours of it suits me grand.

Adding to that, the cringeworthy pish written by recruitment types portraying bog standard office jobs as offering an Indiana Jones esque adventure.
    Maybe they mean you can come in at 10am and leave at 4pm if you feel like it.
    Nae bother, eh?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I’m keeping my eye out for a new job just now, read an advert yesterday for a job that sounded ideal, better hours, more money etc......went to apply and they had a paragraph stating that in order to apply you had to upload a video to YouTube and send them the link. There was a bit in bold stating that any applications without the YouTube link would not be considered so not to even bother.

Aye very good, make a video of myself whoring myself out to another employer with no guarantees of it ever coming to anything. Even allowing for the fact it’s very unlikely my current employer would ever find it, why would anybody ever put themselves through that?

One of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read. If that’s the sort of nonsense coming up in the future if recruiting staff I better find a job for life soon.

When we recruit now we always pass by an agency, it's relatively expensive but we can't afford to end up with the wrong person just for the sake of getting someone. The agency selects the best candidates who then have to film themselves answering 3 questions (set by us) with 30 seconds maximum per answer. Obviously none of this ends up in the public domain. We then choose who we want to interview.

That's 3 times we've used this system and each time our favourite on the wee videos has went on to get the job.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m keeping my eye out for a new job just now, read an advert yesterday for a job that sounded ideal, better hours, more money etc......went to apply and they had a paragraph stating that in order to apply you had to upload a video to YouTube and send them the link. There was a bit in bold stating that any applications without the YouTube link would not be considered so not to even bother.

Aye very good, make a video of myself whoring myself out to another employer with no guarantees of it ever coming to anything. Even allowing for the fact it’s very unlikely my current employer would ever find it, why would anybody ever put themselves through that?

One of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read. If that’s the sort of nonsense coming up in the future if recruiting staff I better find a job for life soon.
    YouTube videos can be set as private so only the intended recipient can view them.
    I'm actually coming across more and more online interviews, questionnaire's, even product reviews where they're asking for video feedback.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    When we recruit now we always pass by an agency, it's relatively expensive but we can't afford to end up with the wrong person just for the sake of getting someone. The agency selects the best candidates who then have to film themselves answering 3 questions (set by us) with 30 seconds maximum per answer. Obviously none of this ends up in the public domain. We then choose who we want to interview.

That's 3 times we've used this system and each time our favourite on the wee videos has went on to get the job.
    While I see some of the practicalities, I think this method is very impersonal and TBH, quite tacky.
    Pity the person being interviewed can't see a video of the boss they will be working for before they make the interview video.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

You could send them a video and do really well however I'm guessing the candidate would be judged on how they look on camera as well, would be interesting to see what the male/female success ratio is with these video things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    You could send them a video and do really well however I'm guessing the candidate would be judged on how they look on camera as well, would be interesting to see what the male/female success ratio is with these video things.
    And the age split as well.

I'm sure old guys have just as much chance as young girls.

While I see some of the practicalities, I think this method is very impersonal and TBH, quite tacky.
    Pity the person being interviewed can't see a video of the boss they will be working for before they make the interview video.
    I don't see how it's tacky to be honest, it's more about using available resources to help the process. We've also had candidates that live 2-3 hours away who have been spared a fruitless journey because of the wee videos.

And we're far from impersonal. After the wee video thing we'll do normal interviews. In one case we were still undecided so invited 2 of the candidates to an informal lunch (separately) with 3/4 of us to try and see them as 'natural' as possible. As with a lot of jobs, communication is very important and the lunch thing removed any doubts we had - the two candidates were like chalk and cheese.

@hibs.net private member

That sounds awful. Avoid avoid avoid.

Good point, even if in jest. Interviews are largely described as also giving the candidate a chance to ask questions and decide if it's right for them. I suppose in this instance though, it's part of the early application stage and candidates would progress to a face-to-face.

I can see the merits in applying for a job overseas/long distance using video technology.. in fact, I think it's brilliant that it can be done this way. But like a number of people have said... otherwise it's not for me when traditional face-to-face methods are available.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think the ideal position to be in is working your way up high enough internally in one company to be in the position to be "headhunted" so you don't have to bend over and take it from all angles just to get a face to face interview.

I think the ideal position to be in is working your way up high enough internally in one company to be in the position to be "headhunted" so you don't have to bend over and take it from all angles just to get a face to face interview.
    You have to get into a decent company first for this to happen. Our company was set up 13 years ago and a couple of months ago, for this first time, somebody chose to move on (after being with us almost 12 years). He was head hunted but to be honest I think we made him look good - I know that he's not capable of properly fulfilling the post that he's taken up.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    And the age split as well.

I'm sure old guys have just as much chance as young girls.

Yes, I'm sure they have the same chance...

I don't see how it's tacky to be honest, it's more about using available resources to help the process. We've also had candidates that live 2-3 hours away who have been spared a fruitless journey because of the wee videos.

And we're far from impersonal. After the wee video thing we'll do normal interviews. In one case we were still undecided so invited 2 of the candidates to an informal lunch (separately) with 3/4 of us to try and see them as 'natural' as possible. As with a lot of jobs, communication is very important and the lunch thing removed any doubts we had - the two candidates were like chalk and cheese.
    As in, one was all over the "specials" board and the other was better served with port?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yes, I'm sure they have the same chance...
    Particularly if it’s reading the news.