hibs.net Messageboard

Page 166 of 425 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,980 of 12722

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the best recent example of cultural differences is the first McDonald's that was opened in Moscow. Russians avoided the place like the plague because they thought the smiling friendly staff were crazy because smiling and friendly isn't how normal people are in Moscow.

I did a weeks course on cultural differences in the business world and you'd be surprised at how many deals get blown out because British reps were considered to be extremely rude for doing something we consider to be polite.
    I know what you’re saying. The British aren’t particularly liked abroad.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    We went to Prague for a weekend. I don't think we once saw a smiling face.
    I've found the Icelandics to be a dour lot too.
    Similar to living in Edinburgh I suppose.

Fron my time in hospitality the rudest people I encountered by a distance are the Chinese. No please, no thank you, would happily barge past anyone to get where they want to be, if you asked them politely to wait so, as an example, an elderly person could go first they would carry on regardless, they shout in groups no matter what the setting, would push in front of people and block their view whilst watching an event, taking a photo etc. I remember asking a guy who worked in China regularly about it and he said it was very much a cultural and generational thing. A lot of elderly Chinese people can remember when food was scarce to non existent so if you weren't first you missed out; people simply couldn't afford to be polite as it was literally a matter of life and death. The lack of manners is a hangover from that (and indeed extreme poverty still exists in some areas of China today).

I found Americans funny. They complained about things Brits would shrug off or just put up with. Their use of please and thanks was far more sparing than we might be used to but they were always full of 'have a nice days' and could be quite gushing if you went above and beyond to help them and, again perhaps culturally, they thought the best way to express gratitude was through money. Every good job was rewarded with a note coming out the wallet.

Russians always seemed sullen and unfriendly and didn't invite anything more than the very basic conversation required.

A lot of middle eastern guests had the same manners as the Chinese. 'We're here and we want to be there so get out the way.' They were particualrly bad for leaving rooms in really messy states.

There's obviously an element of confirmation bias there but there's no doubt there are massive differences in manners between countries and regions.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Fron my time in hospitality the rudest people I encountered by a distance are the Chinese. No please, no thank you, would happily barge past anyone to get where they want to be, if you asked them politely to wait so, as an example, an elderly person could go first they would carry on regardless, they shout in groups no matter what the setting, would push in front of people and block their view whilst watching an event, taking a photo etc. I remember asking a guy who worked in China regularly about it and he said it was very much a cultural and generational thing. A lot of elderly Chinese people can remember when food was scarce to non existent so if you weren't first you missed out; people simply couldn't afford to be polite as it was literally a matter of life and death. The lack of manners is a hangover from that (and indeed extreme poverty still exists in some areas of China today).

I found Americans funny. They complained about things Brits would shrug off or just put up with. Their use of please and thanks was far more sparing than we might be used to but they were always full of 'have a nice days' and could be quite gushing if you went above and beyond to help them and, again perhaps culturally, they thought the best way to express gratitude was through money. Every good job was rewarded with a note coming out the wallet.

Russians always seemed sullen and unfriendly and didn't invite anything more than the very basic conversation required.

A lot of middle eastern guests had the same manners as the Chinese. 'We're here and we want to be there so get out the way.' They were particualrly bad for leaving rooms in really messy states.

There's obviously an element of confirmation bias there but there's no doubt there are massive differences in manners between countries and regions.
    I echo this. Throw in the waving and shouting for attention when you were talking to another guest. A lot of waiters just point blank won't serve them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Badly made scrambled eggs.

Good scrambled eggs are easy but they take a bit time and patience. Nothing worse than getting served a big mess that has been whisked before going in the pan or inexplicably had milk added. As for doing them in the microwave? The hottest part of hell should be reserved for those type of people.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    I mentioned LinkedIn ****ers previously however I've logged in and seen half of my colleagues rubbing one out over a "motivational speaker" who's having a chug himself over a workshop he gave on "critical conversations".

I don't know whether to finish off the bottle of wine in tears or just jump out the bedroom window to end it all.

Having a monkey on Milan tonight but not being able to check the score cause lady bunberry is watching me like a hawk. Updates would be appreciated gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Having a monkey on Milan tonight but not being able to check the score cause lady bunberry is watching me like a hawk. Updates would be appreciated gentlemen.
    0 0 71 mins

0-0 70 minutes played.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    0 0 71 mins
    Cheers mate. As long as I’m not on the bookies website she’s not suspicious.

United we stand here....

Cheers mate. As long as I’m not on the bookies website she’s not suspicious.
    0 1

**** sake

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Badly made scrambled eggs.

Good scrambled eggs are easy but they take a bit time and patience. Nothing worse than getting served a big mess that has been whisked before going in the pan or inexplicably had milk added. As for doing them in the microwave? The hottest part of hell should be reserved for those type of people.
    You dont use milk, you dont whisk them.and you dont use the microwave??? How on earth do you make scrambled egg?

**** sake
    1 1 86 mins

1 1 86 mins
    Come on Milan.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    You dont use milk, you dont whisk them.and you dont use the microwave??? How on earth do you make scrambled egg?
    4 eggs in a pan on a moderate heat with 2 knobs of butter. Stir with a spatula slowly and constantly. Once they start to come together take them off the heat and stir a bit faster, back on the heat and back to slow stirring, off the heat again, add salt and pepper then back on the heat. Keep repeating the on and off until you get the consistency you like. Takes about 8-10 minutes.

No milk and adding the seasoning later gives a much smoother, creamier texture.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Come on Milan.
    5 mins added time. Corner Milan.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    It's all dowwn to personal preference, working around some very good chefs sometimes means you adapt a method that you maybe never used to use. The most important thing is to not overcook your eggs. I pour olive oil in the pan to start and don't season or whisk the eggs before they're in the pan as they can break down and become watery. Also alternating between heat and no heat, and stirring them the entire time they're cooking gives fantastic results, no dairy added at all.

1 1 ft

1 1 ft
    Sore one mate. I’ve went all in with cacuta deportivo. I’m either a grand down or £75 up. Nil nil at halftime.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    4 eggs in a pan on a moderate heat with 2 knobs of butter. Stir with a spatula slowly and constantly. Once they start to come together take them off the heat and stir a bit faster, back on the heat and back to slow stirring, off the heat again, add salt and pepper then back on the heat. Keep repeating the on and off until you get the consistency you like. Takes about 8-10 minutes.

No milk and adding the seasoning later gives a much smoother, creamier texture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    It's all dowwn to personal preference, working around some very good chefs sometimes means you adapt a method that you maybe never used to use. The most important thing is to not overcook your eggs. I pour olive oil in the pan to start and don't season or whisk the eggs before they're in the pan as they can break down and become watery. Also alternating between heat and no heat, and stirring them the entire time they're cooking gives fantastic results, no dairy added at all.
    Seems an awful.lot of work but i'll give it a try.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Sore one mate. I’ve went all in with cacuta deportivo. I’m either a grand down or £75 up. Nil nil at halftime.

. I done that the day after one of my paydays one month, never again! Longest 4 weeks I've ever had!

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Jesus.

PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Good luck.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

It's 1-0 to that team you've backed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    It's 1-0 to that team you've backed.
    15 to go. Cash out is tempting but I’m going to ride it out.

United we stand here....

Never in doubt. Hibees 3 rangers 2

United we stand here....

Pet peeve 4978

Chargers and wires in general.
    Put two on a bag separately and they will concort till they're in a proper messy fankle.
    Every time!

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    15 to go. Cash out is tempting but I’m going to ride it out.
    What happened, did it come in?