hibs.net Messageboard

Page 162 of 428 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Folk on here who post "can anyone tell Me?" Or "does anyone know?" Threads.

Call the club and ask? It'll be quicker and you'll get a proper answer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rant Time!!!

My local shop sells Stephens the bakers hot/cold filled rolls, pies, bridies and cakes etc. As we know they are all very nice, anyway my Mrs is recovering from an emergency C section so is pretty restricted with what she can do just now and I have to do pretty much everything for her while she recovers, which I don't mind as she had a nightmare of a labour. I said to her I'd nip to the local shop for her and get her some lunch if she wanted something. She asked for two egg mayo rolls and I was going to get myself some lentil soup as I've got an absolute howler of a cold just now and fancied some good old lentil to help shift the cold.

So I order everything with the wifey at the counter which is as follows:

2 x White Egg Mayo rolls

2 x Lenti soup (one cup is never enough and two roughly equate to the size of a normal can)

4 x brown rolls - 2 for me today and 2 for tomorrow's bacon rolls at breakfast.

All this comes to a grand total of £9.86!! I mean come on. It was £4.98 for the two egg mayo rolls alone! Thats scandalous and the Mrs couldn't believe it! I wont be back, thats for sure. For a local shop the prices are a disgrace

The price of convenience. Note to self for next time, box of eggs, tin of soup and 6 rolls. £4!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    The price of convenience. Note to self for next time, box of eggs, tin of soup and 6 rolls. £4!
    + cost of petrol to drive to Asda

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    + cost of petrol to drive to Asda
    I assumed these would have been available from the local? But to be fair it does taste nicer if someone else has made it for you😂

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I assumed these would have been available from the local? But to be fair it does taste nicer if someone else has made it for you😂
    Start-up cost - a big soup pan, a stick blender, a couple of dozen freezable, microwaveable and dishwasher-proof containers from the likes of Asda. Then a decent cupboard of dry goods - salt, pepper, bay leaves, Lea+Perrins, Tabasco, yellow split peas, green split peas, red lentils, green lentils, pearl barley, dried herbs (thyme but also any other you have a strong preference for), tinned plum or chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, stock cubes.

Easy to buy and store - onions, garlic and potatoes

Utilise - any left-over veg, stuff that's on reduction in the supermarket or just stuff you prefer. Colour is a good guide - carrots, butternut squash and yellow and red bell peppers go well with red lentils or yellow split peas. Spinach, kale, cabbage and broccoli go with the green lentils or split peas. The potatoes mentioned earlier help thicken soup but I tend not to bother, unless I've got some needing used up.

Make the soup with the dry goods, type depending on what veg you've got. Make a big batch and decant it into the containers and freeze either single portions or doubles, you judge what the portion is.

Then you're all set. You've got healthy lunches on tap, full of protein, vitamins and minerals. Once you're doing it you're spending a lot less than shop-bought and you're almost certainly using less salt and sugar so it's healthier. Plus you're in control of the taste, so if you want to pump it up with chilli or with ginger or whatever, it's in your control.

And there's something very, very satisfying about making a big pot of soup and then being able to grab one out the freezer
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Start-up cost - a big soup pan, a stick blender, a couple of dozen freezable, microwaveable and dishwasher-proof containers from the likes of Asda. Then a decent cupboard of dry goods - salt, pepper, bay leaves, Lea+Perrins, Tabasco, yellow split peas, green split peas, red lentils, green lentils, pearl barley, dried herbs (thyme but also any other you have a strong preference for), tinned plum or chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, stock cubes.

Utilise - any left-over veg, stuff that's on reduction in the supermarket or just stuff you prefer. Colour is a good guide - carrots, butternut squash and yellow and red bell peppers go well with red lentils or yellow split peas. Spinach, kale, cabbage and broccoli go with the green lentils or split peas. The potatoes mentioned earlier help thicken soup but I tend not to bother, unless I've got some needing used up.

Make the soup with the dry goods, type depending on what veg you've got. Make a big batch and decant it into the containers and freeze either single portions or doubles, you judge what the portion is.

Then you're all set. You've got healthy lunches on tap, full of protein, vitamins and minerals. Once you're doing it you're spending a lot less than shop-bought and you're almost certainly using less salt and sugar so it's healthier. Plus you're in control of the taste, so if you want to pump it up with chilli or with ginger or whatever, it's in your control.

And there's something very, very satisfying about making a big pot of soup and then being able to grab one out the freezer
    Amen brother! I have been making lentil and adding a jar of passata at the end. Canny get my yellow spilt peas soft though, soaked for 24hrs and they were like bullets😐

Amen brother! I have been making lentil and adding a jar of passata at the end. Canny get my yellow spilt peas soft though, soaked for 24hrs and they were like bullets😐

I might steal the passata tip. If I'm using tomatoes I usually chuck in the plums or chopped at the start, let them break down and simmer for a good hour at least and add puree if it tastes like it needs it. I've roasted fresh tomatoes and bell peppers a couple of times, took me years to grasp that's a good idea and that works well, and I'll probably do more of that.

With the YSPs you shouldn't need to soak them. My experience is that greens take a little bit longer than yellows, but if you chuck them in with your stock, onion, spices, aromats then it should only take 30-60 minutes, bringing to the boil then simmering. Probably closer to the 60 than the 30 but worth keeping an eye on so they don't become mush. Saying that, if you're like me you blend them anyway so it doesn't really matter!

Slight shift away from 'Pet Peeves', maybe worth starting a cookery and recipes thread in the Dug-Out?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I handed my car into the dealer to get a windscreen replacement after a nasty stone chip and they said a few recall fixes needed to be done. It would take a few days to order and replace the windscreen so no big deal. I get a loaner then a couple of days later I drive away for the weekend in our other car with the wife. I check my GPS tracker online and notice that some **** took my car for a 20 mile 'test drive' (joyride) and reached speeds well above the speed limits. Then I notice two days later that some other **** for a 35 mile 'test drive' (joyride) which took over an hour. I won't be home to pick up the car till next Tuesday so I am fully expecting to see more 'test drives'.

I can't call up and complain because it will alert them to my hidden GPS and prevent me recording evidence of further abuse.

Utter f****** c****.

I wonder how long they take economy vehicles for test drives?

Referees...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Slight shift away from 'Pet Peeves', maybe worth starting a cookery and recipes thread in the Dug-Out?
    TF you posted that, not sure where slight comes in though. Saved me a long rant anyhow.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Tescos petrol station prices.

Corstorphine 112.9

Musselburgh 114.9

Dunfermline 116.9

Corstorphine 112.9

Musselburgh 114.9

Dunfermline 116.9

Imagine you got 8 to 10 miles per gallon like I do.

It amazes me how many people can't do this.

I batch make soup, and other meals, 2 or 3 times a month to save time. People in my work seem genuinely stunned and ask all sort of questions. It's like they are seeing an alien civilisation for the 1st time.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Imagine you got 8 to 10 miles per gallon like I do.

What does that mean?

I might steal the passata tip. If I'm using tomatoes I usually chuck in the plums or chopped at the start, let them break down and simmer for a good hour at least and add puree if it tastes like it needs it. I've roasted fresh tomatoes and bell peppers a couple of times, took me years to grasp that's a good idea and that works well, and I'll probably do more of that.

With the YSPs you shouldn't need to soak them. My experience is that greens take a little bit longer than yellows, but if you chuck them in with your stock, onion, spices, aromats then it should only take 30-60 minutes, bringing to the boil then simmering. Probably closer to the 60 than the 30 but worth keeping an eye on so they don't become mush. Saying that, if you're like me you blend them anyway so it doesn't really matter!

Cheers for the hints. IL give ysp another go.

Roasted peppers sounds nice too. Report to follow😂

What does that mean?
    He's just telling you he has a big car G.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Or drives everywhere in 1st revving the tits out of his motor!

St Patricks Day.

Folk who's Granny had a cousin who went to Donegal for a coach trip in 1976 screwing their face up as they try and force down a pint of Guinness wearing a daft hat and putting sounds in place of actual words when the Fields of Athenry comes on a jukebox.

Particularly popular amongst students and 'lads' who 'just do it for the bants'.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Maybe it's the old joke ----->>>>

"I only get 5 miles to the gallon ............ my son gets the other 30"

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    St Patricks Day.

Folk who's Granny had a cousin who went to Donegal for a coach trip in 1976 screwing their face up as they try and force down a pint of Guinness wearing a daft hat and putting sounds in place of actual words when the Fields of Athenry comes on a jukebox.

Particularly popular amongst students and 'lads' who 'just do it for the bants'.
    That side of it is a bit ridiculous but it's worked out beautifully this year with the current events at Twickenham. I don't care about rugby but Irishmen celebrating a grand slam there on St Patrick's day gets a big thumbsup from me... assuming I haven't just jinxed it

What does that mean?
    I can only get 8 or 10 miles driving my car before using up one gallon of petrol. Although, the gallons here are not Imperial so slightly less in volume and the petrol is way cheaper. The claimed figures look better but you have to drive in GT mode and without laughing all the time.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 9.15.41 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Maybe it's the old joke ----->>>>

"I only get 5 miles to the gallon ............ my son gets the other 30"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    St Patricks Day.

Why do St Patrick's day revellers think all the world loves them?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Why do St Patrick's day revellers think all the world loves them?
    'cos they are fuds! :-)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Female commentators on Match of the Day. Even my wife can't listen to them.

Left by mutual consent!

Smug people. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Those ****ing black dachshunds at the Vitality Stadium

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar

Corstorphine 112.9

Musselburgh 114.9

Dunfermline 116.9

Bath 126.9. Stornoway 126.9 with 5p Islands allowance

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 17SquirrelPower View Post
    Smug people. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passive aggressives

;-)

Left by mutual consent!
    Women with short hair.

I'm not talking fashionable short hair, I'm talking almost crew cut length hair,mainly seen amongst women above 35 who start looking more masculine then their husbands.