hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 428 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're not actuallu legal tender,they are legal currency but acceptance is a choice of the individual. I am in England every month and just use either an ATM in England or a HSBC/Nat West one in Edinburgh before I go which both dispense English notes. I can't be ersed arguing the toss anymore.
    100℅ spot on. No one has to accept the notes as its just a promise token to pay 5 English pounds to the bearer. I use them in Pompey and they always hold them up to the light. They don't like when I do the same with the change to wind them up lol

2. Log in to remove the advert

Are Barrs glass bottles of juice still a litre sized bottle in England? If so, WTF is that all about when their only 750ml here. Forget scottish notes, you see the look on the guy in the shops face when you take the ginger bottle back lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Are Barrs glass bottles of juice still a litre sized bottle in England? If so, WTF is that all about when their only 750ml here. Forget scottish notes, you see the look on the guy in the shops face when you take the ginger bottle back lol.
    That's because the litre bottle doesn't fit in your jacket pocket without ripping it. Especially when your copy of the Racing Post is already in there.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Not seen a glass bottle of juice in a long time down here!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Folk who change they way they speak according to how important they think the other person is. I appreciate that many people will have their everyday 'normal' way of speaking and then maybe a professional/telephone voice.

What made me post is listening to a colleague who is currently in flat-out arse licking mode to a client, speaking to him as if he was a toddler only using bigger words. She has various levels of sookiness depending on the "importance" of the person on the other end of the line. Does she not realise that people see right through this and think she's ridiculous?

The same colleague also automatically recites everything she knows (or thinks she does) about any subject that arises to show how clever she is - again she often ends up looking like a cretin.

Be yourself hen FFS! If your a decent person and/or are good at what you do professionally then people will respect you for it. Trying to impress often has the opposite result, with a little knowledge being a very dangerous thing.

And breath...

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Sheer incompetence.

Worse when it's sheer incompetence that I then need to fix.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    People who nonchalantly drive at 50pmh or less on the City by-pass totally unaware of the mayhem & havoc behind them as other drivers juggle to get a space in the passing lane.

A hanging offence, IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Folk that do puns on message boards.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Aldi checkout staff. What's their effing hurry?! Even if there's no-one behind you, they fling your stuff through like it's about to burn through their hands. Then if there is someone behind you, they start firing their stuff through before they even hand you your change. Nae need.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Today's peeve the @rse of a van driver that thought he had the right of way when it was clear the lane he was in on the roundabout was shut and the fact I let the car in front in before turning right in my own clear lane was worth his blowing his horn at me.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Today's peeve the @rse of a van driver that thought he had the right of way when it was clear the lane he was in on the roundabout was shut and the fact I let the car in front in before turning right in my own clear lane was worth his blowing his horn at me.
    Drum Brae by any chance?
    Seen some shocking driving there over the last week.
    Coming down Drum Brae heading over towards Meadow Place Road, car two lanes over to my left decides as St John's is closed he is now going to go right and head towards Maybury,,,no idea how there wasn't an accident as he cut EVERYBODY up regardless of what lane they were in!

Not being able to sleep...

The Kia cee'd.

Probably nothing wrong with the actual car, it just has a really, really stupid name.

These stick figure families you see on the back of car windows.

@hibs.net private member
    Folk cutting you up at sherrifhall roundabout - mainly at the millerhill junction going to the A7. They toot the horn at you for being in the correct lane!

Moving away from motoring for a bit ...

Gimmicky news reports - one example is where the reporter walks off screen to the left, then it cuts to him walking on screen from the right in a completely different location.

Also, sections in programmes like Football Focus where they put in 'clever' little tricks like messing with the colour or switching to different camera angles for no reason. One recent interview had the words appearing on the screen one at a time as the interviewee said them all in different fonts and colours. And the montages they put on where someone recites poetry in a portentous voice or they play a bit of music that is sometimes, but not always, relevant to the subject.

All pointless and not nearly as clever as they think it is.

News readers/reporters who can't speak English. This mornings example was "... for 6 consecutive years in a row..."

Weather "girls" who think there is a place called "Northren England" or "the Northren Isles"

Static shocks when closing car doors on warm days (e.g. Astras are guilty of this).

Girls that suddenly becoming huge sports enthusiasts because the 6 nations/Andy Murray is on.

95% of football chat I see on facebook.

Scottish public bus drivers' attitude (generally speaking).

Wimbledon commentator (I think it's Andrew Castle).

People who "absolutely love" a band that have been around for years and can name 4 songs.

Littering.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahibby View Post
    Aldi checkout staff. What's their effing hurry?! Even if there's no-one behind you, they fling your stuff through like it's about to burn through their hands. Then if there is someone behind you, they start firing their stuff through before they even hand you your change. Nae need.
    What is that all about? It's also compounded by the tiny area in which they place your shopping after scanning the barcode. You basically have to pack your bag on the floor.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Folk that do puns on message boards.

They should be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    They should be punished.
    Or punched.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Or punched.
    Preferably by a pundit.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    Preferably by a pundit.
    ... or a puny punk.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    ... or a puny punk.

Punctiliously, I hope.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People who pick their noses in public toilets and think it's Ok to smear their findings all over the walls. Why would you do that?

Just a note on the difference between Bank of England v other UK notes.....

BofE notes are Legal Tender whereas the rest are Lawful Tender. As Scouse pointed out, no one is actually obliged to accept the latter.

That is MY pet peeve. They should all be the of equal status under the law or should be replaced by a national currency (i.e. NOT BofE)

People who let their kids run riot in a pub or restaurant!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who don't understand how they actually want their steak cooked, then when it turns up exactly as requested they send it back as wrong.

Hotel guests who think the room key card holds their personal information, mainly due to scaremongering emails that have done the rounds.

Not a peeve but a favourite,shoplifters who thought you couldn't stop them as they hadn't left the store.