hibs.net Messageboard

Page 156 of 428 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People with little or no understanding or empathy towards disabled people. It really grips my **** that in the 21st century some folks can't adapt their behaviour to assist people with disabilities integrate or even play down their disability and treat them with contempt, worse still is when they make comments along the lines of "you're not trying hard enough" or "you need to up your game".

My wife is almost completely deaf due to nerve damage after a typical childhood disease. She's otherwise a very capable woman with a doctorate in mathematics, she works amongst other academics but somehow they are simply not capable of registering the fact that talking to her with their backs turned or covering their mouths when talking means she hasn't a clue what they've just tried to communicate to her. She's explained to them many times how they can help her but are either too lazy, thick or just blatant rude to make any effort to assist. This is a never ending source of misery for her, I just don't get that thete are so many people ignorant to what disability means and how it effects them. Maybe they're just not clever enough to join the dots on what effects disabilities that you can't see have on those people with them.
    I agree with what you're saying, but could it not be that your wife's colleagues' "lapses" are a sign that they sometimes forget her disability due to her competence/ability?

I've made similar errors in the past and it honestly hasn't been through ignorance or any lack of empathy, simply my mind being occupied and momentary forgetfulness.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I agree with what you're saying, but could it not be that your wife's colleagues' "lapses" are a sign that they sometimes forget her disability due to her competence/ability?

I've made similar errors in the past and it honestly hasn't been through ignorance or any lack of empathy, simply my mind being occupied and momentary forgetfulness.
    There is a certain amount of that Peevemor and I too sometimes forget, but then the natural reaction to that would be to say "yeah ****, sorry I forgot" like I'm sure you will have done. This is more folks seeing it as her fault and it being a problem she has to deal with instead of taking a few simple measures to assist her. Luckily her boss knows she's one of her most productive employees.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There is a certain amount of that Peevemor and I too sometimes forget, but then the natural reaction to that would be to say "yeah ****, sorry I forgot" like I'm sure you will have done. This is more folks seeing it as her fault and it being a problem she has to deal with instead of taking a few simple measures to assist her. Luckily her boss knows she's one of her most productive employees.
    As we all know, there are dicks everywhere.

People with little or no understanding or empathy towards disabled people. It really grips my **** that in the 21st century some folks can't adapt their behaviour to assist people with disabilities integrate or even play down their disability and treat them with contempt, worse still is when they make comments along the lines of "you're not trying hard enough" or "you need to up your game".

My wife is almost completely deaf due to nerve damage after a typical childhood disease. She's otherwise a very capable woman with a doctorate in mathematics, she works amongst other academics but somehow they are simply not capable of registering the fact that talking to her with their backs turned or covering their mouths when talking means she hasn't a clue what they've just tried to communicate to her. She's explained to them many times how they can help her but are either too lazy, thick or just blatant rude to make any effort to assist. This is a never ending source of misery for her, I just don't get that thete are so many people ignorant to what disability means and how it effects them. Maybe they're just not clever enough to join the dots on what effects disabilities that you can't see have on those people with them.

I understand what you mean mate, my wife also has a disability, significantly different to your wife’s, but one that also affects her life profoundly.

Some people, such as my parents, and some of her direct work colleagues, have adapted seamlessly to her needs, whilst others, including other direct work colleagues don’t just ignore it, but make comments about it when she needs to put measures in place, or tut and sigh, and in some cases, I firmly believe they have made it very awkward for her out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Some people’s obsession with other people breeding really is bizarre. My daughter is just over 5 months and already we are constantly getting told ‘you can’t have just one’ and ‘oh soon be time for another.’ Actually we’d quite like to enjoy this one first and we’ll see what the future holds when we’re ready not when you decide. I know people don’t mean any harm but still.

It’s also potentially quite insensitive as some couples could be in the position of can’t as opposed to don’t want to.
    Truely bizarre.
    My wife works within that field and a colleague classed her as selfish for not wanting children. 🤔

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Being a size 9.5 feet. Sorry sir we don’t do half sizes would you like an insole. No mate I want a pair of shoes that actually fit me.

Left by mutual consent!
    People who run a marathon and think they are Jesus resurrected.

I get it, the training required, the happiness of doing it etc, but **** me, you haven't cured cancer.

The essay length social media posts following a marathon that reek of smugness are unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    People who run a marathon and think they are Jesus resurrected.

I get it, the training required, the happiness of doing it etc, but **** me, you haven't cured cancer.

The essay length social media posts following a marathon that reek of smugness are unbearable.
    I tend to agree, and I say that as someone who's run one. Why peers feel the need to use running apps to update everyone on social media as to how well their training is going I have no idea. Well, I do; inflated ego.

If you do your training properly and you're lucky with injuries 42k at a steady pace is surprisingly easy (and I'm complaining about other people being smug!). Muscle memory does à lot of the work.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Once a year fans. Never more relevant than around this time of year.

Woman in my work is having a big party on Saturday for the Scotland game. Conversation from the other day:

'ooh we love the rugby, never miss it'
    'Not that fussed myself, I'll watch it if it's on'
    'My boys are really into it, having all their friends over on Saturday for it'
    'Do you ever take them to Myreside for the Edinburgh games?'
    'Oh no, why would I want to do that? we like the proper rugby'

Conversation with the same woman from last year:

'Any plans for the weekend?'
    'Going to the Hibs game'
    'Football? Again?'
    'Yes, I go every week'
    'Every week?'
    'Yes'
    'But, like, every single week?'

Then you have the Superbowl. A guy who has never discussed American football with me ever invited me over for a party on Sunday night. Conversation:

'Coming over for the game? Doing hot dogs and getting the brewskis in'
    'Na, staying in. Working on the Monday'
    'I've taken the Monday off, got to be prepared for the superbowl'
    'Do you like American football?'
    'Yeah, Patriots rule mate. Brady greatest of all time'
    'Aye he's a great quarterback, who else do you like on the team?'
    Silence.

Not forgetting Cheltenham and the Grand National are on the horizon. Guys who never talk about racing the rest of the year suddenly start throwing jargon about and become experts on the subtle differences between French and Irish bred horses, start talking about 'dour stayers', 'fleet turns of foot' and 'staying on for pressure' all because they heard someone on TV say it. I was at Musselburgh on a weekday afternoon a few weeks back and your lucky if the attendance was in 4 figures. Come Ladies day the price shoots up to nearly £50 a ticket and 7000 bellends in cheap Topman suits swagger about like they own the place pretending they are infinitely wealthy whilst not handling their drink and harassing women.

Now I get that showpiece events always attract more fans and in the case of racing the big days are what allows the course to keep bidding for fixtures the rest of the year and so on and so forth but it's still annoying.
    Ach chill man. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. I’ve been going down to Cheltenham for god knows how many years. I remember when I first went down, I was addicted to the horse racing, I used to buy the timeform annual and study it. I used to arrive down there thinking I had a chance based on what I knew. Nowadays I turn up without a clue and tend to do better.
    Saying that I’m with you on the people who pretend to have knowledge rather than just admitting that they enjoy the event. I will watch the super bowl, but I couldn’t tel you one player from each side.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    another for the growing list of .net peeves.

Threads where people start a new song for a player/manager/board member or whatever.

Now the actual thread isn't a peeve. I don't mind them at all, especially because they are usually hilarious and there's no telling whether the poster is having a laugh or genuinely doesn't realise their song is ****.

The peeve is that on every single one of those threads somebody will without fail make the same ***** joke that has been made thousands of times before. When somebody replies to the thread (that obviously is just a comment and not a song) there is always one that says something like "what's tune is that to", "it doesn't ryhme" or "it's not very catchy".

I mean, that might have been mildly amusing the first time but the fact that somebody comes out with it on every song thread is cringy as hell.

Also a mention for 'Funniest thing you've seen at the football' threads and the inevitable Steve Fulton booked for being ugly story being told as if nobody has ever heard it before and that the whole East Stand was rolling about the floor howling with laughter and wiping the tears from their eyes. Always ends with "even Fulton had a smile on his face".

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    another for the growing list of .net peeves.

Threads where people start a new song for a player/manager/board member or whatever.

Now the actual thread isn't a peeve. I don't mind them at all, especially because they are usually hilarious and there's no telling whether the poster is having a laugh or genuinely doesn't realise their song is ****.

The peeve is that on every single one of those threads somebody will without fail make the same ***** joke that has been made thousands of times before. When somebody replies to the thread (that obviously is just a comment and not a song) there is always one that says something like "what's tune is that to", "it doesn't ryhme" or "it's not very catchy".

I mean, that might have been mildly amusing the first time but the fact that somebody comes out with it on every song thread is cringy as hell.

Also a mention for 'Funniest thing you've seen at the football' threads and the inevitable Steve Fulton booked for being ugly story being told as if nobody has ever heard it before and that the whole East Stand was rolling about the floor howling with laughter and wiping the tears from their eyes. Always ends with "even Fulton had a smile on his face".
    It doesn't rhyme.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Lazy journalism (e.g. in the Beeb web news) where a generic photo of the back of a couple of policemen is used time and again to cover any police related story. Why bother?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

- no, really, what you having?
    - Just a coke
    - naw, what drink are you having?
    - a coke
    - you cannae just have a coke
    - I can, and I will
    - but surely you must drink something
    - yeah. A coke!
    - just have a drink
    - yeah. A coke!
    So what did you end up having?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    My wife is almost completely deaf due to nerve damage after a typical childhood disease. She's otherwise a very capable woman with a doctorate in mathematics, she works amongst other academics but somehow they are simply not capable of registering the fact that talking to her with their backs turned or covering their mouths when talking means she hasn't a clue what they've just tried to communicate to her. She's explained to them many times how they can help her but are either too lazy, thick or just blatant rude to make any effort to assist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I agree with what you're saying, but could it not be that your wife's colleagues' "lapses" are a sign that they sometimes forget her disability due to her competence/ability? I've made similar errors in the past and it honestly hasn't been through ignorance or any lack of empathy, simply my mind being occupied and momentary forgetfulness.
    Both true imo. A surprisingly large number of people do not make any effort at all with deaf people, including some professionals who you might guess had, or should have, been trained to deal with deafness (eg some district nurses visiting the very elderly). Another proportion of people make a great effort but lapse in proportion to how smart the deaf person seems to be (the smarter they seem, the easier it is to lapse). Perhaps the smallest number, people who never, ever lapse with anyone, are to be simply admired.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    So what did you end up having?

A friggin’ Pepsi!!!

😂

People who make no effort to work something out for themselves and then make no effort to retain the information when you show them how to do it. Woman in my work is always at it.

'What formula do I use on Excel for this?'
    'How do I edit a PDF?'
    'How do I work out a margin from cost price?'
    'What supplier does that range come from?'

Every single ****ing day. She's been in the job almost twice as long as me but seems to enjoy playing the class clown and having allowances made for her because of that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Lazy journalism (e.g. in the Beeb web news) where a generic photo of the back of a couple of policemen is used time and again to cover any police related story. Why bother?
    I don't know if that's laziness, rather than pointlessness...but you've probably covered it with the "why bother?" at the end.

I guess most BBC articles have a standard format and, if a particularly relevant photo isn't available, a stock one is the option.

I agree with the lazy journalism part though. I accept, as others have mentioned on other threads, that resources are squeezed and journos perhaps don't have the time they once did to thoroughly research and write articles. What particularly annoys me is the use of social media quotes of random members of the public to beef up a story. A recent example is the very insightful two-word quote about halfway down this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ers/ar-BBINXOi

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I don't know if that's laziness, rather than pointlessness...but you've probably covered it with the "why bother?" at the end.

I guess most BBC articles have a standard format and, if a particularly relevant photo isn't available, a stock one is the option.

I agree with the lazy journalism part though. I accept, as others have mentioned on other threads, that resources are squeezed and journos perhaps don't have the time they once did to thoroughly research and write articles. What particularly annoys me is the use of social media quotes of random members of the public to beef up a story. A recent example is the very insightful two-word quote about halfway down this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ers/ar-BBINXOi
    And the pricks at work who splatter stock photos over every Powerpoint presentation.

I know what a meeting looks like.
    I'm sitting in one just now and I don't need you to show a photo of 6 diverse characters sitting round a desk smiling at each other.
    Did you notice that there are 6 white men at this table?
    Just give us an idea of what you want us to do to make you look good to your boss.

Once a year fans. Never more relevant than around this time of year.

Woman in my work is having a big party on Saturday for the Scotland game. Conversation from the other day:

'ooh we love the rugby, never miss it'
    'Not that fussed myself, I'll watch it if it's on'
    'My boys are really into it, having all their friends over on Saturday for it'
    'Do you ever take them to Myreside for the Edinburgh games?'
    'Oh no, why would I want to do that? we like the proper rugby'

Conversation with the same woman from last year:

'Any plans for the weekend?'
    'Going to the Hibs game'
    'Football? Again?'
    'Yes, I go every week'
    'Every week?'
    'Yes'
    'But, like, every single week?'

Then you have the Superbowl. A guy who has never discussed American football with me ever invited me over for a party on Sunday night. Conversation:

'Coming over for the game? Doing hot dogs and getting the brewskis in'
    'Na, staying in. Working on the Monday'
    'I've taken the Monday off, got to be prepared for the superbowl'
    'Do you like American football?'
    'Yeah, Patriots rule mate. Brady greatest of all time'
    'Aye he's a great quarterback, who else do you like on the team?'
    Silence.

Not forgetting Cheltenham and the Grand National are on the horizon. Guys who never talk about racing the rest of the year suddenly start throwing jargon about and become experts on the subtle differences between French and Irish bred horses, start talking about 'dour stayers', 'fleet turns of foot' and 'staying on for pressure' all because they heard someone on TV say it. I was at Musselburgh on a weekday afternoon a few weeks back and your lucky if the attendance was in 4 figures. Come Ladies day the price shoots up to nearly £50 a ticket and 7000 bellends in cheap Topman suits swagger about like they own the place pretending they are infinitely wealthy whilst not handling their drink and harassing women.

Now I get that showpiece events always attract more fans and in the case of racing the big days are what allows the course to keep bidding for fixtures the rest of the year and so on and so forth but it's still annoying.
    Absolutely.

Horse racing seems to be particularly bad for this, but maybe that's just because it's one of the more obscure of my interests for a 20 something. People telling me they "fancy" a horse having looked at the name and the price of it... one of my favourites recently was my mate (who has bet on horses longer than me but never taken the time to learn anything about them) told me he thinks a horse will win as long as it doesn't fall... I looked at the race in question and the first thing I noticed was it was a bumper.

I've said it before on here but similarly the way people become on first name terms with Andy Murray at Wimbledon but have no interest in tennis any other time of the year. I get that they're entitled, and it's the nature of top-level sport... doesn't stop it being a pet peeve though

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Super bowl, I have zero interest in it but have never claimed to. Last week my facebook feed was full of "oh its super bowl Sunday" lets party and all that crap, posted by folk who never mention it ay other time of the year. Now that its over, Facebook is back to the usual crap from the Super Bowl posters like, just made soup or look how cute my baby is etc....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Parents who don't teach their kids manners. Just watched three 6 year olds weave in and out their way to the front of the ski lift. Their parents shouting after them to wait at the top for them. Eh ****ing no, you'll get back to your place in the queue and wait like everyone else.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    People wheeling small cases that could easily be carried, get the **** out of my way and carry it like a normal person

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Super bowl, I have zero interest in it but have never claimed to. Last week my facebook feed was full of "oh its super bowl Sunday" lets party and all that crap, posted by folk who never mention it ay other time of the year. Now that its over, Facebook is back to the usual crap from the Super Bowl posters like, just made soup or look how cute my baby is etc....
    Don't worry, last weekends Super Bowl aficionados will be dusting off the Barbour jackets and chinos to get into full 6 Nations Rugby mode for next few weeks - that'll keep them busy sharing their musings on the sport that is of absolute no interest to them the other 11 months of the year.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Part time/amateur drinkers pretending to be drinkers come Friday - "It's wine/beer o'clock"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Part time/amateur drinkers pretending to be drinkers come Friday - "It's wine/beer o'clock"

And those who have a ' cheeky ' glass of wine.

Just down it.

Left by mutual consent!
    The phrase "broke the internet".

**** right off with that. It doesn't make any sense.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    People who bang on about those who only take an interest in a specific sport once a year. You know, tennis - Wimbledon, golf - the open, rugby - six nations, curling - Winter Olympics etc etc. You don't have to be an avid fan or an expert to enjoy other sports big occasions

@hibs.net private member
    People - invariably women - who say the word 'chocolate' in a giggly and whispering rush.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    People who bang on about those who only take an interest in a specific sport once a year. You know, tennis - Wimbledon, golf - the open, rugby - six nations, curling - Winter Olympics etc etc. You don't have to be an avid fan or an expert to enjoy other sports big occasions
    You're absolutely right and I think I covered that in my post.

It's the people who pretend to be diehards or experts that annoy me. Sorry but if you go to 3 rugby internationals a year to get pissed and have a banter then you don't 'love rugby and never miss it' in anything like the same way I love Hibs. By all means enjoy a sport once or twice a year but don't act like you are something you're not.

Not aimed at you btw, a more general comment.

Left by mutual consent!
    Working in an office where 80%+ of colleagues are women.

Initially this seems great... but the week in, week out chat of wedding dresses, haircuts, boyfriends, "girlie" nights out, zumba classes and non stop gossiping will slowly but surely destroy any soul you may have possessed until you reach the point of talking to yourself and then worrying you've actually reached the point that you are talking out loud with yourself.