hibs.net Messageboard

Page 155 of 428 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 12811

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Blog Entries
    Folk ( invariably English ) who pronounce tattoos as ‘ta-oos’ . Drives me nuts.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely brutal on the continent. Most folks don't have a clue how to shake hands properly, with the exception of the odd German here and there.

My one that's I've been reminded of recently is the ****ing Superbowl and more specifically, folk turning into passionate fans for 2 days a year and spraffing ***** on Facebook and staying up until 5am or whatever.

I'll confess the sport itself is entirely lost on me, all this stop-start pish, but the Superbowl as an event is NFL on Crack. Not a fan.
    Ha. on the flip side, I'm a huge fan of American Football and have been for years. I hate the superbowl (unless the Giants play in it). I cannot stand the people you talk about but I also hate the half time show, which is generally utter crap. I hate the whole charade. I feel it cheapens a fantastic sporting event.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

My one that's I've been reminded of recently is the ****ing Superbowl and more specifically, folk turning into passionate fans for 2 days a year and spraffing ***** on Facebook and staying up until 5am or whatever.

I'll confess the sport itself is entirely lost on me, all this stop-start pish, but the Superbowl as an event is NFL on Crack. Not a fan.
    ****s to a man, desperate to tell anyone that they are NFL fans in the belief it makes them superior to your bog standard football fan. The smugness is unbearable.

@hibs.net private member
    The instructions on packets of spaghetti etc. Boil for ten to twelve minutes ???

More like twenty for even al dente pasta

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The instructions on packets of spaghetti etc. Boil for ten to twelve minutes ???

I've never had that problem. If you boil pasta for 20 minutes it'll turn into something resembling wallpaper paste, but with a worse taste.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

Surely not, are you putting your pasta into boiling water? Never had to do pasta much longer than 10-12 minutes myself.

People who look at you like you’ve got 2 heads when you tell them you don’t drink. Usually followed by this typical exchange:

- no, really, what you having?
    - Just a coke
    - naw, what drink are you having?
    - a coke
    - you cannae just have a coke
    - I can, and I will
    - but surely you must drink something
    - yeah. A coke!
    - just have a drink
    - yeah. A coke!

insert occasional head shake here

Then some of them have the brass neck later in the evening to sidle up and quietly ask, “ehh, since you’ve not had a drink, any chance of a lift home?”

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Surely not, are you putting your pasta into boiling water? Never had to do pasta much longer than 10-12 minutes myself.
    The mistake most people make.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    People who refer to other posters as "sir". Generally it's in a negative way (i.e. You sir, are an idiot).
    However, even if it's used in a nice way (i.e. You sir, are a gentleman) it still annoys me.
    Yes sir, it sure does.
    Last edited by snooky; 31-01-2018 at 07:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    People who refer to other posters "sir". Generally it's in a negative way (i.e. You sir, are an idiot).
    However, even if it's used in a nice way (i.e. You sir, are a gentleman) it still annoys me.
    Yes sir, it sure does.
    That annoys me as well but not just on here, on Twitter as well. It also annoys me in real life.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    ATM's being shut down, just watching bbc news, up to 4000 cash points getting removed over the next few years.... All this because the banks don't want to pay 25p per transaction to the machine operator.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Dartboards in people's houses/garages that are not fixed at the regulation hight of 5' 8".

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The imbalance of everything in society.

e.g. The differential in wages from a nurse to a pro-footballer, the leniency afforded to big corporations re. taxes on millions of pounds while some poor Joe on minimum wage gets hounded for a couple of quid, closing banks while millions spent on bonuses & sponsorship, closing hospitals while millions spent on Trident/high speed trains and the like, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Dartboards in people's houses/garages that are not fixed at the regulation hight of 5' 8".
    That's caught me out a few times over the years. Used to play in a pub that didn't have a straight line in the building and I couldn't hit a thing on the dartboard until we measured it out properly. Turned out the bull had to be about 2 inches lower to match the height of the oche. All the locals moaned but decent players noticed right away.

Another .net peeve...

"Okay, I'll bite."
    PERSEVERE
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Another .net peeve...

"Okay, I'll bite."
    What phrase would you prefer people use when they want to answer a post that's obviously bait?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    What phrase would you prefer people use when they want to answer a post that's obviously bait?
    99% of the time the post that is being replied to isn't bait, obvious or otherwise.
    PERSEVERE
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    That's caught me out a few times over the years. Used to play in a pub that didn't have a straight line in the building and I couldn't hit a thing on the dartboard until we measured it out properly. Turned out the bull had to be about 2 inches lower to match the height of the oche. All the locals moaned but decent players noticed right away.
    I can forgive a miscalculation as the intent was there to correctly position - it's the cavalier attitude of just nailing randomly on the back of a door at any old hight that grates.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Another .net peeve...

"Okay, I'll bite."
    Excellent. Up there with “far too sensible” and “why let facts get in the way”.

Also the extremer overuse of “deary me” and “myth”.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Butter in the marmalade jar.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    The imbalance of everything in society.

e.g. The differential in wages from a nurse to a pro-footballer, the leniency afforded to big corporations re. taxes on millions of pounds while some poor Joe on minimum wage gets hounded for a couple of quid, closing banks while millions spent on bonuses & sponsorship, closing hospitals while millions spent on Trident/high speed trains and the like, etc. etc.
    This post has slipped by without much attention, I feel it deserves some. Totally agree. The saddest thing is that it's becomming so commonplace that we barely even notice it anymore. Banks get billions of taxpayers money and go on to make obscene profits. US President can openly mock disabled people and barely a mention. The The rangers go spending other peoples money again and the weegia turn a blind eye. So many examples of the decline of basic human decency, but no, here's another 5 f***ing hours of Kardashians or cooking shows or DIY shows or the ******' royal family on TV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Butter in the marmalade jar.
    Extend that to any habit of using a utensil with traces of food on it in jam or pickles etc. It goes mouldy prematurely.

Non Scots calling Scott Brown "Browny" rather than "Broony". Tom English, Brendan Rodgers and Neil Lennon have all fell foul of this in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Non Scots calling Scott Brown "Browny" rather than "Broony". Tom English, Brendan Rodgers and Neil Lennon have all fell foul of this in recent weeks.
    Yeah sounds horrible nearly as bad as someone saying footie.

Once a year fans. Never more relevant than around this time of year.

Woman in my work is having a big party on Saturday for the Scotland game. Conversation from the other day:

'ooh we love the rugby, never miss it'
    'Not that fussed myself, I'll watch it if it's on'
    'My boys are really into it, having all their friends over on Saturday for it'
    'Do you ever take them to Myreside for the Edinburgh games?'
    'Oh no, why would I want to do that? we like the proper rugby'

Conversation with the same woman from last year:

'Any plans for the weekend?'
    'Going to the Hibs game'
    'Football? Again?'
    'Yes, I go every week'
    'Every week?'
    'Yes'
    'But, like, every single week?'

Then you have the Superbowl. A guy who has never discussed American football with me ever invited me over for a party on Sunday night. Conversation:

'Coming over for the game? Doing hot dogs and getting the brewskis in'
    'Na, staying in. Working on the Monday'
    'I've taken the Monday off, got to be prepared for the superbowl'
    'Do you like American football?'
    'Yeah, Patriots rule mate. Brady greatest of all time'
    'Aye he's a great quarterback, who else do you like on the team?'
    Silence.

Not forgetting Cheltenham and the Grand National are on the horizon. Guys who never talk about racing the rest of the year suddenly start throwing jargon about and become experts on the subtle differences between French and Irish bred horses, start talking about 'dour stayers', 'fleet turns of foot' and 'staying on for pressure' all because they heard someone on TV say it. I was at Musselburgh on a weekday afternoon a few weeks back and your lucky if the attendance was in 4 figures. Come Ladies day the price shoots up to nearly £50 a ticket and 7000 bellends in cheap Topman suits swagger about like they own the place pretending they are infinitely wealthy whilst not handling their drink and harassing women.

Now I get that showpiece events always attract more fans and in the case of racing the big days are what allows the course to keep bidding for fixtures the rest of the year and so on and so forth but it's still annoying.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Once a year fans. Never more relevant than around this time of year.

Woman in my work is having a big party on Saturday for the Scotland game. Conversation from the other day:

'ooh we love the rugby, never miss it'
    'Not that fussed myself, I'll watch it if it's on'
    'My boys are really into it, having all their friends over on Saturday for it'
    'Do you ever take them to Myreside for the Edinburgh games?'
    'Oh no, why would I want to do that? we like the proper rugby'

Conversation with the same woman from last year:

'Any plans for the weekend?'
    'Going to the Hibs game'
    'Football? Again?'
    'Yes, I go every week'
    'Every week?'
    'Yes'
    'But, like, every single week?'

Then you have the Superbowl. A guy who has never discussed American football with me ever invited me over for a party on Sunday night. Conversation:

'Coming over for the game? Doing hot dogs and getting the brewskis in'
    'Na, staying in. Working on the Monday'
    'I've taken the Monday off, got to be prepared for the superbowl'
    'Do you like American football?'
    'Yeah, Patriots rule mate. Brady greatest of all time'
    'Aye he's a great quarterback, who else do you like on the team?'
    Silence.

Not forgetting Cheltenham and the Grand National are on the horizon. Guys who never talk about racing the rest of the year suddenly start throwing jargon about and become experts on the subtle differences between French and Irish bred horses, start talking about 'dour stayers', 'fleet turns of foot' and 'staying on for pressure' all because they heard someone on TV say it. I was at Musselburgh on a weekday afternoon a few weeks back and your lucky if the attendance was in 4 figures. Come Ladies day the price shoots up to nearly £50 a ticket and 7000 bellends in cheap Topman suits swagger about like they own the place pretending they are infinitely wealthy whilst not handling their drink and harassing women.

Now I get that showpiece events always attract more fans and in the case of racing the big days are what allows the course to keep bidding for fixtures the rest of the year and so on and so forth but it's still annoying.

Completely agree PB

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

And to make it worse you get folk like me pestering you for Cheltenham tips on Hibs.net

I agree though, I used to work beside a guy like this. Used to do my head in until I challenged him to a racing quiz I asked him what jockey won the 86 Derby and his reply was "errmmmm Scudamore wasn't it?".

People being weird about the fact that me and my wife do not want children. Both of us are in our early 30's but have never wanted them. People are weird about it, surely like everything else its a life choice or infact not a choice for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Time For Heroes View Post
    People being weird about the fact that me and my wife do not want children. Both of us are in our early 30's but have never wanted them. People are weird about it, surely like everything else its a life choice or infact not a choice for some people.
    Some people’s obsession with other people breeding really is bizarre. My daughter is just over 5 months and already we are constantly getting told ‘you can’t have just one’ and ‘oh soon be time for another.’ Actually we’d quite like to enjoy this one first and we’ll see what the future holds when we’re ready not when you decide. I know people don’t mean any harm but still.

It’s also potentially quite insensitive as some couples could be in the position of can’t as opposed to don’t want to.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

People with little or no understanding or empathy towards disabled people. It really grips my **** that in the 21st century some folks can't adapt their behaviour to assist people with disabilities integrate or even play down their disability and treat them with contempt, worse still is when they make comments along the lines of "you're not trying hard enough" or "you need to up your game".

My wife is almost completely deaf due to nerve damage after a typical childhood disease. She's otherwise a very capable woman with a doctorate in mathematics, she works amongst other academics but somehow they are simply not capable of registering the fact that talking to her with their backs turned or covering their mouths when talking means she hasn't a clue what they've just tried to communicate to her. She's explained to them many times how they can help her but are either too lazy, thick or just blatant rude to make any effort to assist. This is a never ending source of misery for her, I just don't get that thete are so many people ignorant to what disability means and how it effects them. Maybe they're just not clever enough to join the dots on what effects disabilities that you can't see have on those people with them.