hibs.net Messageboard

Page 154 of 428 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mais j'ai fais des efforts, ce ça que importante, n'est ce pas?
    Yes, that sounds excellent. I don't doubt a scholar such as yourself fits in perfectly on the left bank 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Yes, that sounds excellent. I don't doubt a scholar such as yourself fits in perfectly on the left bank 😂
    Vous êtes une Cheeky bassa

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Your middle 2 paragraphs raised a smile. I must have told this story before but here goes. Teaching English to a group of 10-11 year olds and my lesson required (for some reason) an example of a celebrity. So I said, using the English pronunciation, "who's heard of David Beckham?". No one flinched and bearing in mind I knew some of the boys were football mad I knew something wasn't right.

Sure enough, I repeated the question but with the 'allo 'allo-esque pronunciation of Daveed Bek'am and suddenly a forest of arms shot in the air.

I also went to a classical concert whilst there. Not usually my thing but when in Rome etc. On the program it said we were to be treated to an evening of "Jean Bach" music.

It took me a good 15 minutes to realise they'd "translated" Johann into French as opposed to it being Johann Sebastian Bach's lesser known sister Jean!!
    Didn't know they spoke French in Rome.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Whooooosh!
    I cant tell if you’re being serious!?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    In your post you listed "People who think that an opinion is ‘pish’, ‘nonsense’, ‘rubbish’ etc just because it is negative in tone."

To which the reply was "pish".

I don't think it was serious.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    In your post you listed "People who think that an opinion is ‘pish’, ‘nonsense’, ‘rubbish’ etc just because it is negative in tone."

To which the reply was "pish".

I don't think it was serious.
    I got that.

My horrible, snotty, sanctimonious reply was a demonstration of another of my pet peeves, hence the bit in brackets where I said ‘that’s also one btw’.

I put it to you, Sir, that you were the one who was in fact wooshed

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I got that.

My horrible, snotty, sanctimonious reply was a demonstration of another of my pet peeves, hence the bit in brackets where I said ‘that’s also one btw’.

I put it to you, Sir, that you were the one who was in fact wooshed
    Too subtle for me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Deary me, care to elaborate on exactly which bit was ‘pish’ as you so eloquently put it?

(that’s also one btw)
    "Care to elaborate?" does my head in.

People who claim that they were either joking or were playing devil's advocate all along when they've ****ed up an argument.

People who only ever dismiss or criticise things but never, ever bring something with any value to the table.

Folk who wait to hear other people's opinions before voicing their own so that they can fall in with the crowd rather than standing by their own opinion
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    People who try to outwhoosh other whooshers.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    People who try to outwhoosh other whooshers.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    "Care to elaborate?" does my head in.

People who claim that they were either joking or were playing devil's advocate all along when they've ****ed up an argument.

People who only ever dismiss or criticise things but never, ever bring something with any value to the table.

Folk who wait to hear other people's opinions before voicing their own so that they can fall in with the crowd rather than standing by their own opinion

When they start making out like they were "fishing" all along when a debate gets a bit heated and they're incorrect.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    It must have been mentioned already, but I saw a couple more examples this week of something which always annoys me. When music videos show the singers in the studio with headphones on, why do they always feel the need to hold on to one or both earcups? Why not just get a pair of headphones that fit?
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    It must have been mentioned already, but I saw a couple more examples this week of something which always annoys me. When music videos show the singers in the studio with headphones on, why do they always feel the need to hold on to one or both earcups? Why not just get a pair of headphones that fit?
    It's not about the them fitting. When you sing your jaw moves a lot more than when your talking and this can break the 'seal' allowing noise in. Although it's minimal it can be destabilising.

Sometimes you'll see people putting on headphones so they only use one ear. They're less likely to cup the headphone as, with one ear exposed, a wee bit of extra external sound in the other is less noticeable.

Recording with headphones is a necessary evil as, like listening to a recording of your own voice, everything sounds bizarre.

It's not about the them fitting. When you sing your jaw moves a lot more than when your talking and this can break the 'seal' allowing noise in. Although it's minimal it can be destabilising.

Sometimes you'll see people putting on headphones so they only use one ear. They're less likely to cup the headphone as, with one ear exposed, a wee bit of extra external sound in the other is less noticeable.

Recording with headphones is a necessary evil as, like listening to a recording of your own voice, everything sounds bizarre.
    Similar effect to what the Aran jersey folkies used to do when singing in group harmony. They put a finger in one ear to take out the other voices so they could hear their own voice more clearly.

Left by mutual consent!
    People who post those annoying "live every day like it's your last" pictures on Facebook.

Really aye? One last day and you've got yersel posting ***** on social media ?
    Last edited by IGRIGI; 27-01-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    People who post those annoying "live every day like it's your last" pictures on Facebook.

Really aye? One last day and you've got yersel posting ***** on social media ?
    Aside from anything else living every day hooked up to a morphine drip, confined to a hospital bed and receiving palliative care doesn't seem all that appealing to me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Another Hibs.net one

the term “intelligent player with good movement”.

In most cases it’s just a nonsense phrase that means nothing and is completely unmeasurable and, imo, is only used so people can pretend that they know more about football by being able to ‘see’ something that others can’t see.

It’s usually reserved exclusively for strikers who either don’t score enough or haven’t scored yet as some sort of pat on the back for at least trying. Strikers that actually score goals never seem to get this type of praise however.

James Collins, Dagnall, Dja Djedje, Grant Holt, Brian Graham all low scoring strikers who were regularly praised for being “intelligent players with good movement”.

Oli Shaw, Martin Boyle, James Keatings all praised for the same thing as they searched for their first goals too but it stopped after they started scoring (although in Keating case it would pop up now an again during his long barren spells).

Jamie MacLaren is the latest of our intelligent players with good movement apparently.
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 28-01-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    "Networking is crucial to getting a promotion"

Corporate speak for

"Don't bother turning on your computer and doing actual work, carry your laptop in one hand, carry an overpriced "mocha latte" from Starbucks in the other, and stalk management and kiss arse all day long"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who post "date night" on FB when tbey are out with their wife.

Another Hibs.net one

In most cases it’s just a nonsense phrase that means nothing and is completely unmeasurable and, imo, is only used so people can pretend that they know more about football by being able to ‘see’ something that others can’t see.

It’s usually reserved exclusively for strikers who either don’t score enough or haven’t scored yet as some sort of pat on the back for at least trying. Strikers that actually score goals never seem to get this type of praise however.

James Collins, Dagnall, Dja Djedje, Grant Holt, Brian Graham all low scoring strikers who were regularly praised for being “intelligent players with good movement”.

Oli Shaw, Martin Boyle, James Keatings all praised for the same thing as they searched for their first goals too but it stopped after they started scoring (although in Keating case it would pop up now an again during his long barren spells).

Jamie MacLaren is the latest of our intelligent players with good movement apparently.
    Intelligent analysis, MWC

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post

Might as well just say " pre planned humping soon"
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post

Can't stand it either. Complete roasters.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Another Hibs.net one

I don't remember anyone saying anything like that for Dja Djedje...

However, while I can appreciate it being a peeve, I think it's a fair observation for some players. Some strikers dinnae score enough goals, and it's no there fault completely, they're doing a lot right but the service is *****.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don't remember anyone saying anything like that for Dja Djedje...

However, while I can appreciate it being a peeve, I think it's a fair observation for some players. Some strikers dinnae score enough goals, and it's no there fault completely, they're doing a lot right but the service is *****.
    It’s not always incorrect right enough but it’s definitely the default defence for strikers who don’t score enough.

The peeve is more the fact that it generally means nothing and it’s just a phrase that’s thrown about as a one size fits all excuse for strikers who don’t score, similar to ‘unseen work’ for crap midfielders, ‘good communicators’ for crap defenders and ‘good distribution’ for crap keepers.

In some cases it’s actually true but even a stopped clock is right twice a day etc

I’ll have a quick go on the search facility for Djedje

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    limp handshakes - it feels to horrible, Why do people do this?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

Might as well just say " pre planned humping soon"

Sorry, Sleeping Giant. Pet peeve is ' pre- planned '. Planned is something organised in advance.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Completely agree and the opposite is true as well.

Why people feel the need to try and crush your hand when shaking hands is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Absolutely brutal on the continent. Most folks don't have a clue how to shake hands properly, with the exception of the odd German here and there.

My one that's I've been reminded of recently is the ****ing Superbowl and more specifically, folk turning into passionate fans for 2 days a year and spraffing ***** on Facebook and staying up until 5am or whatever.

I'll confess the sport itself is entirely lost on me, all this stop-start pish, but the Superbowl as an event is NFL on Crack. Not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Completely agree and the opposite is true as well.

Why people feel the need to try and crush your hand when shaking hands is beyond me.
    Hand crushers drive me nuts. What happened to the warm handshake?
    I don't want to arm-wrestle with you, ya torque wrench.