hibs.net Messageboard

Page 153 of 428 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Window wipers speed on my car. In certain rain conditions the first option is too slow, but the second option is too fast and makes that horrible squeek that drives me insane. sends shivers up me.

And worst is seeing another cars using their window wiper on too fast a setting as I know its making the noise and again, drives me mental. (I guess its akin to people who get that annoyance of cutlery scrapping, nails being dragged on a blackboard etc.)

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I really hate it when I see people commenting on social media with a statement ending in the word "though" to try and state how much they like something;

E.G. "That dress though..." replace dress with anything you like such as lips, eyelashes, shoes etc etc it just does my head in.

Another bugbear of mine is hearing people trying to show off how shocked they are at something they have just heard by asking;

"Is it actual?"

That really annoys me, it doesn't even make sense!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Computer updates:
    They tell you they've made it easier, faster with a much-improved layout.

What they actually mean is....
    1) all your settings will be screwed up
    2) they've moved all the commands to somewhere you'll find them hard to find
    3) deleted any links to programmes you use regularly
    4) deleted all your passwords
    5) added loads of crap you'll never use.

Wonderful! And they wonder why folks shy-off updating? Go figure, anaraks.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    People that sit in their car or van in supermarket car parks with their car ticking over, also leave the car door wide open while they wander away back into the house when they’ve forgotten something or to go chat to a mate. Similarly drivers that spot their mate coming in the opposite direction, both stop and block the road in both directions while they have a blether.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Aggressive drivers who deliberately speed up to close the gap you are going to merge in because there was tons of room then flash their lights or blow their horn as they claim you have forced them to brake. Cocks of the highest order.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aggressive drivers who deliberately speed up to close the gap you are going to merge in because there was tons of room then flash their lights or blow their horn as they claim you have forced them to brake. Cocks of the highest order.
    absolute tits.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    absolute tits.
    Likewise, people who dawdle along in the inside lane for miles then on getting within 25 yards behind a slow lorry, indicate and expect people in the outside lane to brake and let them out.
    Pull out well in advance. Foresight, FFS.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Likewise, people who dawdle along in the inside lane for miles then on getting within 25 yards behind a slow lorry, indicate and expect people in the outside lane to brake and let them out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Definitely!!

Also clowns who, when you overtake them, speed up from about 60 to 75 to stay alongside you. Why??

It's been covered before but people who use social media as a Google substitute.

Last night about 11.30 a friend of my partner posted on Facebook '<school name here> mums can you tell me if it's a bank holiday 2moro? <Child name here> telling me he's off.'

Really? Those famous Wednesday bank holidays in January. Also you have a child of under 10 still up at 11.30 on a Tuesday night because he told you he was off and you have no awareness of how term time dates work. Scary that people like that actually seem to muddle through life.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Definitely!!

Also clowns who, when you overtake them, speed up from about 60 to 75 to stay alongside you. Why??
    +1
    Time for a Motoring Pet Peeves....?????

SNOOKY

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Definitely!!

And there's the ones who drive around miles of bends at 25mph then the first chance you get to over take them on a straight, they accelerate up to 60mph then slow down to 25mph again at the next bend.
    A hanging offence in my book.

Driving peeves thread coming soon just for you, Al.

And there's the ones who drive around miles of bends at 25mph then the first chance you get to over take them on a straight, they accelerate up to 60mph then slow down to 25mph again at the next bend.
    A hanging offence in my book.

Driving peeves thread coming soon just for you, Al.
    They should be made to let you pass and if they don't you should be allowed to machine gun them.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's been covered before but people who use social media as a Google substitute.

Last night about 11.30 a friend of my partner posted on Facebook '<school name here> mums can you tell me if it's a bank holiday 2moro? <Child name here> telling me he's off.'

Really? Those famous Wednesday bank holidays in January. Also you have a child of under 10 still up at 11.30 on a Tuesday night because he told you he was off and you have no awareness of how term time dates work. Scary that people like that actually seem to muddle through life.

Oh aye, only in Edinburgh though. Its like pregnant women asking for medical advice on facebook too. Can I take such and such when pregnant?? Well nearly, if not all medicines over the counter say if pregnant consult your doctor - not dunderheeds on facebook who know hee haw!

People trying to speak a foreign language so, so badly and in such a dreadful Anglo accent I makes me want to punch them in the face then walk off the roof of a skyscraper.

Either learn it (and more usually its pronunciation) at least halfway properly or just master "hello" "goodbye' "please" and "thank you" and then switch to English.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    People trying to speak a foreign language so, so badly and in such a dreadful Anglo accent I makes me want to punch them in the face then walk off the roof of a skyscraper.

Either learn it (and more usually its pronunciation) at least halfway properly or just master "hello" "goodbye' "please" and "thank you" and then switch to English.
    Yep, that grips my faeces too. It's made even worse when like Delboy they do it with utterly breathtaking confidence and gain impressed congratulatory nods of approval from their dullard companions.

My my addition to this is, when driving along a motorway/dual carriageway, you slowly catch up to a long(ish) line of vehicles in the inside lane, over a period of 2-3 miles, and just as you get to them, the rear most vehicle decides that now is the exact time to move out and try to overtake the rest of the column of traffic, even though they had no interest until you caught up. It happens so often it’s untrue

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    My my addition to this is, when driving along a motorway/dual carriageway, you slowly catch up to a long(ish) line of vehicles in the inside lane, over a period of 2-3 miles, and just as you get to them, the rear most vehicle decides that now is the exact time to move out and try to overtake the rest of the column of traffic, even though they had no interest until you caught up. It happens so often it’s untrue
    And generally at the bottom of a long slow incline....See under A720 😫

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Football fans that boo every single decision given against their team, for the entire 90 minutes.

I kept off hibs.net and avoided the scores so I could watch it delayed on Alba.

My ears are still ringing with the boos.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    These perpetrators are likely to be the type who got enjoyment out of popping street light bulbs, breaking windows & scratching cars as youths. It's just infantile little power trips.

Ex pats who are fluent in their host nation's language, but who delight in being scornful at their countrymen's efforts to speak said language while on holiday, forgetiing that it takes years to become fluent at a foreign language and most people welcome you making the effort.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Ex pats who are fluent in their host nation's language, but who delight in being scornful at their countrymen's efforts to speak said language while on holiday, forgetiing that it takes years to become fluent at a foreign language and most people welcome you making the effort.
    I have a few language peeves.

People (let's call them foreigners), who want to show how good their English is by using the word "f***ing" at least once in every sentence, no matter how inappropriate. Knowing how ridiculous it sounds I avoid swearing in French.

People that, when they realise I'm British (they normally assume English but that's a different peeve) insist on speaking to me in really bad English. Sorry pal - my French is better than your English and I don't have the patience for this.

Having to pronounce English words and expressions which have been adopted in France with a French accent in roder to be understood. The same goes for people and place names. Thus David Beckham becomes Da-veed Beck-haam and Man U become Mon-chest-eurre You-naye-teed.

People teaching English in French schools all seem to have learned with atrocious London accents. I struggle to stay calm when helping my girls with their homework sounds like an episode of Eastenders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    These are all hibs.net related (could probably have a whole separate thread for this)

People who think that posting a laughing smilie is any form of argument/rebuttal/response to something they disagree with. I mean, I get it. The implication is that the post, or argument made is so bad that it’s not worth actually responding to properly and that they are somehow intellectually inferior to you and not worth your time. What it actually shows though is that the person is clamped and doesn’t actually have anything valuable to add themselves.

The notion that ‘boo boys’ gather and discuss which player to irrationally target with negativity. Nope, the poorer players who make more mistakes and are not as effective will always come into more criticism. It’s not a coincidence that Liam Craig was a so called ‘target’ of the ‘boo boys’ while John McGinn isn’t.

The notion that “the people who said x are the same that said y” when x and y contradict each other. Sorry but that’s a lazy argument and I can say with a degree of certainty that it’s not true in most cases. One recent example was that the people who are having a go at Cummings are the same that won’t say a bad word about Scott Allan. Really? The same people? I don’t believe it.

In a discussion, if you make a post about a player you don’t rate (for example) and you just lost all the bad things he does then you are rightly accused of being narrow minded, unbalanced and unfair. However when you do post a balanced argument and give examples of good things they have done too (in the interest of fairness) you are accused of contradicting yourself. I had one discussion about Liam Craig where one poser accused me of both!

The notion that only ‘positive’ posts can be ‘well thought out, balanced and fair’. I can’t ever recall seeing a post with a negative tone being described as being any of the above. Surely you don’t have to agree with somebody for their argument to be fair?

People who think that an opinion is ‘pish’, ‘nonsense’, ‘rubbish’ etc just because it is negative in tone.

The idea that somebody who has a negative opinion on one thing therefore has a negative opinion on the whole club and that they ‘can’t wait to stick the boot it’.

The argument where a person gives their opinion and somebody responds with a near unanswerable question with the belief that it proves their point.

For example:

Person A : Slivka misplaces too many passes
    Person B : Really? What was his pass completion rate? What exact pass did he misplace?

On the flip side, if person A is able call person B’s bluff and comes back with concrete proof of the number of passes Slivka misplaced then they are accused of being sadcases with nothing better to do than find evidence of Hibs players misplacing passes.

Puns.

People who who still haven’t grasped what the SPFL is. People who call the Premiership the SPFL for example.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    And generally at the bottom of a long slow incline....See under A720 😫
    Or A9 when lorries try to overtake and bring out a murderous rage in me.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    These are all hibs.net related (could probably have a whole separate thread for this)

People who think that posting a laughing smilie is any form of argument/rebuttal/response to something they disagree with. I mean, I get it. The implication is that the post, or argument made is so bad that it’s not worth actually responding to properly and that they are somehow intellectually inferior to you and not worth your time. What it actually shows though is that the person is clamped and doesn’t actually have anything valuable to add themselves.

The notion that ‘boo boys’ gather and discuss which player to irrationally target with negativity. Nope, the poorer players who make more mistakes and are not as effective will always come into more criticism. It’s not a coincidence that Liam Craig was a so called ‘target’ of the ‘boo boys’ while John McGinn isn’t.

The notion that “the people who said x are the same that said y” when x and y contradict each other. Sorry but that’s a lazy argument and I can say with a degree of certainty that it’s not true in most cases. One recent example was that the people who are having a go at Cummings are the same that won’t say a bad word about Scott Allan. Really? The same people? I don’t believe it.

In a discussion, if you make a post about a player you don’t rate (for example) and you just lost all the bad things he does then you are rightly accused of being narrow minded, unbalanced and unfair. However when you do post a balanced argument and give examples of good things they have done too (in the interest of fairness) you are accused of contradicting yourself. I had one discussion about Liam Craig where one poser accused me of both!

The notion that only ‘positive’ posts can be ‘well thought out, balanced and fair’. I can’t ever recall seeing a post with a negative tone being described as being any of the above. Surely you don’t have to agree with somebody for their argument to be fair?

People who think that an opinion is ‘pish’, ‘nonsense’, ‘rubbish’ etc just because it is negative in tone.

The idea that somebody who has a negative opinion on one thing therefore has a negative opinion on the whole club and that they ‘can’t wait to stick the boot it’.

The argument where a person gives their opinion and somebody responds with a near unanswerable question with the belief that it proves their point.

For example:

Person A : Slivka misplaces too many passes
    Person B : Really? What was his pass completion rate? What exact pass did he misplace?

On the flip side, if person A is able call person B’s bluff and comes back with concrete proof of the number of passes Slivka misplaced then they are accused of being sadcases with nothing better to do than find evidence of Hibs players misplacing passes.

Puns.

People who who still haven’t grasped what the SPFL is. People who call the Premiership the SPFL for example.
    Pish.:
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Pish.:
    Deary me, care to elaborate on exactly which bit was ‘pish’ as you so eloquently put it?

(that’s also one btw)

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Thing is, I'm on about the people who's "efforts" have extended to buying a Lonely Planet phrasebook, read it on the plane and have thus convinced themselves they are fluent.

I agree entirely re the appreciation of effort, which is why I take it upon myself to learn the 4 mentioned phrases on the local language of wherever then content myself with getting them right.

This "Esker eel ee a une pub pres dici" is what I'm referring to.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Deary me, care to elaborate on exactly which bit was ‘pish’ as you so eloquently put it?

(that’s also one btw)

Whooooosh!

Thing is, I'm on about the people who's "efforts" have extended to buying a Lonely Planet phrasebook, read it on the plane and have thus convinced themselves they are fluent.

I agree entirely re the appreciation of effort, which is why I take it upon myself to learn the 4 mentioned phrases on the local language of wherever then content myself with getting them right.

This "Esker eel ee a une pub pres dici" is what I'm referring to.
    Mais j'ai fais des efforts, ce ça que importante, n'est ce pas?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I have a few language peeves.

People (let's call them foreigners), who want to show how good their English is by using the word "f***ing" at least once in every sentence, no matter how inappropriate. Knowing how ridiculous it sounds I avoid swearing in French.

People that, when they realise I'm British (they normally assume English but that's a different peeve) insist on speaking to me in really bad English. Sorry pal - my French is better than your English and I don't have the patience for this.

Having to pronounce English words and expressions which have been adopted in France with a French accent in roder to be understood. The same goes for people and place names. Thus David Beckham becomes Da-veed Beck-haam and Man U become Mon-chest-eurre You-naye-teed.

People teaching English in French schools all seem to have learned with atrocious London accents. I struggle to stay calm when helping my girls with their homework sounds like an episode of Eastenders.
    Your middle 2 paragraphs raised a smile. I must have told this story before but here goes. Teaching English to a group of 10-11 year olds and my lesson required (for some reason) an example of a celebrity. So I said, using the English pronunciation, "who's heard of David Beckham?". No one flinched and bearing in mind I knew some of the boys were football mad I knew something wasn't right.

Sure enough, I repeated the question but with the 'allo 'allo-esque pronunciation of Daveed Bek'am and suddenly a forest of arms shot in the air.

I also went to a classical concert whilst there. Not usually my thing but when in Rome etc. On the program it said we were to be treated to an evening of "Jean Bach" music.

It took me a good 15 minutes to realise they'd "translated" Johann into French as opposed to it being Johann Sebastian Bach's lesser known sister Jean!!