hibs.net Messageboard

Page 128 of 424 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 12698

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's all relative I suppose, cars can go a lot faster and stop a lot quicker(especially when in an accident) so the users need to be restrained.

If we're that concerned about cyclists safety maybe we should give them more space, just a thought.

The general attitude to general cyclists is pretty poor just now and I'm not sure if it's justified or if motorists are just picking on an easy target. If an individual cyclist breaks the law, then fine, they're a pr!ck and if needs be they should be dealt with the law, but equally I'd expect other road users to be dealt with the same venom but it just doesn't seem to be the case.
    We've seen peeves here about pedestrians, especially recently tourists walking out or along the road without looking, but note it's not ALL pedestrians.
    We have motorists that speed on a daily basis, use mobiles when driving, drive through red lights, park on pavements or yellow zig-zags outside schools, but not ALL motorists are bad.
    But when it comes to cyclists they are generalised by the acts of the few, yet that's deemed acceptable?
    I've said it before but I'll repeat myself to make the point; I think we should all get out there and experience different modes of travel, from walking, cycling, driving to even sitting in the cab of an HGV. All modes come with their risks and preconceived perceptions.
    Sitting in a queue of traffic watching a cyclist go through a red light is nothing compared to watching a motorised vehicle go through a red (and it happens a lot in the city centre) but it attracts a disproportionate reaction from many motorists, I personally don't get it. Either law breakers should be treated the same or they should be judged in proportion to their misdemeanour.

For the record, I walk to work, drive at work and bus or train it at the weekends. I rarely cycle these days so I'm not a "Lycra brigade" apologist.
    Launch the LBA

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    It's all relative I suppose, cars can go a lot faster and stop a lot quicker(especially when in an accident) so the users need to be restrained.

If we're that concerned about cyclists safety maybe we should give them more space, just a thought.

The general attitude to general cyclists is pretty poor just now and I'm not sure if it's justified or if motorists are just picking on an easy target. If an individual cyclist breaks the law, then fine, they're a pr!ck and if needs be they should be dealt with the law, but equally I'd expect other road users to be dealt with the same venom but it just doesn't seem to be the case.
    We've seen peeves here about pedestrians, especially recently tourists walking out or along the road without looking, but note it's not ALL pedestrians.
    We have motorists that speed on a daily basis, use mobiles when driving, drive through red lights, park on pavements or yellow zig-zags outside schools, but not ALL motorists are bad.
    But when it comes to cyclists they are generalised by the acts of the few, yet that's deemed acceptable?
    I've said it before but I'll repeat myself to make the point; I think we should all get out there and experience different modes of travel, from walking, cycling, driving to even sitting in the cab of an HGV. All modes come with their risks and preconceived perceptions.
    Sitting in a queue of traffic watching a cyclist go through a red light is nothing compared to watching a motorised vehicle go through a red (and it happens a lot in the city centre) but it attracts a disproportionate reaction from many motorists, I personally don't get it. Either law breakers should be treated the same or they should be judged in proportion to their misdemeanour.

For the record, I walk to work, drive at work and bus or train it at the weekends. I rarely cycle these days so I'm not a "Lycra brigade" apologist.
    Absolutely agree.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

I guess its all relative until a kid gets run over? A kid in a car has the safety of the car its self and the child safety seats, way more protection that those things offer, even at faster speeds. I'm not someone who bashes cyclists in general but i have a few gripes. I have even more gripes about the driving standards at the moment which are generally appalling. I commute into Edinburgh every day and barely one goes by where i see people using phones, run red lights, driving aggressively and weaving in and out of traffic if those few seconds saved really matter.

The point wasn't to bash the cyclists as such but more about the safety of the equipment they use to transport their child, when you see one of those things going up the road and a huge lorry passes them i really do wonder why these are allowed giving the measures in health and safety that have been put in elsewhere.

I cant be the only one?

People who don't read e-mails properly.

I've had at least 3 instances where a request for X info has come, X info has been given and then a further request for that info has come in from the same person.

Or even more annoyingly, when you e-mail on a different but linked subject, let's call it subject Y, but also include info X only to be met with a reponse saying "thanks for subject Y, could you confirm info X to me"

How do these people get on in life in a professional environment?!? It genuinely baffles me.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I guess its all relative until a kid gets run over? A kid in a car has the safety of the car its self and the child safety seats, way more protection that those things offer, even at faster speeds. I'm not someone who bashes cyclists in general but i have a few gripes. I have even more gripes about the driving standards at the moment which are generally appalling. I commute into Edinburgh every day and barely one goes by where i see people using phones, run red lights, driving aggressively and weaving in and out of traffic if those few seconds saved really matter.

The point wasn't to bash the cyclists as such but more about the safety of the equipment they use to transport their child, when you see one of those things going up the road and a huge lorry passes them i really do wonder why these are allowed giving the measures in health and safety that have been put in elsewhere.

I cant be the only one?
    You're not, I hate them too. They seem so unsafe to me, all it takes is for it to become detached from the bike and that kid is gone. They really scare me.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Scotland players who don't sing

Trolls (the movie). It's been on NowTV for about a week and it's been playing non stop in our house for the same amount of time. Annoying celebrities voices too.

"Soft close" items that close too slowly, such as my toilet. I end up getting impatient and finishing the job myself with more force than necessary.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    You're not, I hate them too. They seem so unsafe to me, all it takes is for it to become detached from the bike and that kid is gone. They really scare me.
    I agree.

I'm sure all being well and if everybody does everything they're supposed to the kid isn't at risk. Unfortunately we all know that's not how roads work, especially at busy roundabouts. I'm amazed people gamble with their kids life (and I genuinely don't think I'm exaggerating) based on assuming people won't be idiots on the road.

Car companies spend millions investing in technology to keep people safe in the event of a crash yet these parents think a flimsy thing attached to the back of a bike which isn't always obvious depending on the angle they're approaching or the visibility is sufficient, I really don't get it and don't understand why anyone would take the risk, especially in big cities.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Too right. It's OK over in Holland where cycling is properly catered for with cycle lanes running beside motorways etc. But on our roads? No chance.

I find it's mostly hippy middle class types who tow their kids about in these things. They want their heids looked.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Too right. It's OK over in Holland where cycling is properly catered for with cycle lanes running beside motorways etc. But on our roads? No chance.

I find it's mostly hippy middle class types who tow their kids about in these things. They want their heids looked.
    I agree, beggars belief that folk would put their children at such a risk. Every time I see one I always wonder why a parent would use one.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I agree, beggars belief that folk would put their children at such a risk. Every time I see one I always wonder why a parent would use one.
    I used one for ages for my daughter. Due to her disability she has a serious lack of balance and can't cycle so we put her in a trailer so we could all go out as a family. Never once felt it was unsafe as we tended to stay away from very busy roads. It's really no more or less safe that kids cycling.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I used one for ages for my daughter. Due to her disability she has a serious lack of balance and can't cycle so we put her in a trailer so we could all go out as a family. Never once felt it was unsafe as we tended to stay away from very busy roads. It's really no more or less safe that kids cycling.
    Kids generally don't cycle on roads though.

In your situation and staying off roads is fair enough, it's people that do it on busy roads and roundabouts during busy times that has me baffled.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Of course the decision lies with the parent as to how much risk they are willing to subject their own child to. Too big a risk for me to even contemplate

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Of course the decision lies with the parent as to how much risk they are willing to subject their own child to. Too big a risk for me to even contemplate
    I always get an uneasy feeling when I see women carrying their babies in papoose bags over their chests. One stumble and God knows what could happen.
    Last edited by snooky; 03-09-2017 at 07:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I always get an uneasy feeling when I see women carrying their babies in papoose bags over their chests. On stumble and God knows what could happen.
    How do you feel about guys doing it? Are they less likely to stumble?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Depends how many pints they've had in the strippers.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Trolls (the movie). It's been on NowTV for about a week and it's been playing non stop in our house for the same amount of time. Annoying celebrities voices too.

"Soft close" items that close too slowly, such as my toilet. I end up getting impatient and finishing the job myself with more force than necessary.
    Folk that can't "work" soft close bog seats....

Pull it to get it to start closing and.... WALK AWAY..... Next time you look it'll be closed, no loud clangs and no chance of cracked seats etc!

:D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Parents with young children crossing the road diagonally or 10yds from a pedestrian crossing.

I wasn't meaning to be sexist. I suppose I should have included men too although that is a rarer sight. Sorry, ladies.

Guys are more sure-footed generally. No question.

Guys are more sure-footed generally. No question.
    Because of the absence of the cantilever I would think.

Because of the absence of the cantilever I would think.
    We wear bibs not bras. Footballers do anyway.

We wear bibs not bras. Footballers do anyway.
    I give you Donald Ford and Bobby Moore.....

The "up at 6am to put my towel on a sunlounger" brigade. Currently on going at my hotel. Some of these twits don't even appear till mid afternoon. 😠

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    The "up at 6am to put my towel on a sunlounger" brigade. Currently on going at my hotel. Some of these twits don't even appear till mid afternoon. ��
    This was the case at my most recent holiday in Lanzarote, sun lounger Olympics. It was comedy gold to watch. People nearly coming to blows over a piece of plastic...

About 10 years ago I was in Salou with 3 or 4 others from work on a lads holiday, the sun lounger wars was going on then as well and it was horrendous in the mornings, We got fed up with it so one night we all came back pished as per after a long day on the sauce. One of us thought it would be a great idea to jump the gate to pool area and launch all the towels into the pool as a GIRUY to the roasters who had left towels out for the morning. We must have thrown about 30 towels into the pool, buggered off to bed then next day we were told by hotel staff to make sure our rooms were locked as some local torags had broken into the pool area and horsed all the towels in the pool. We were all in stitches with this news and we took that little secret back to Edinburgh with us. It was brilliant and I still chuckle at it now.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 04-09-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Similarly, if you go to a gig and one of a group of people turns up early and saves 4 or 5 of the best seats for their pals who turn up just before the start. Fair enough saving a seat for a friend who can't get there on time but half a row or a full table? Naw.

Similarly, if you go to a gig and one of a group of people turns up early and saves 4 or 5 of the best seats for their pals who turn up just before the start. Fair enough saving a seat for a friend who can't get there on time but half a row or a full table? Naw.
    Gigs with seats generally, but gigs with tables especially.....

@hibs.net private member
    Gigs with seats generally, but gigs with tables especially.....
    Hmm. Some of us are getting too old to stand for a long time. And I really enjoy the Queens Hall shows with the table layout.

@hibs.net private member
    The Edinburgh Evening News - describing two routine airport delays as "Chaos".

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Hmm. Some of us are getting too old to stand for a long time. And I really enjoy the Queens Hall shows with the table layout.
    I'm trying my best to rage against the dying of the light... and standing at gigs is one of my rage-lines

Each to their own on the QH. I love the venue, but can't bear the tables.