hibs.net Messageboard

Page 127 of 428 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 12815

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People in queues who get distracted by chatting, using their mobile or looking at the floor. I was in a massive queue at Gatwick train station yesterday and there was at least 3 ticket machines not being used at any one time because people had their heads up their *****.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Day trippers heading for the Queensferry Crossing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was apparently chaotic there this morning, usual slow approach to the bridge plus a breakdown. Is the new bridge now the default road or do you have the option of either bridge? If not what's happening with the older bridge meanwhile?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It was apparently chaotic there this morning, usual slow approach to the bridge plus a breakdown. Is the new bridge now the default road or do you have the option of either bridge? If not what's happening with the older bridge meanwhile?
    The new bridge will close again tomorrow for the official opening and open for real next week. I think the old bridge is closed at the moment and will re-open when the new bridge closes. Longer term only buses pedestrians and emergency vehicles can use the old bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It's the new bridge only for a few days, then back to the old bridge when the walking/official opening is on. Then the new bridge only for two months, before opening both in November.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Apparently we have approximately the next 150 years to cross the new bridge. What's the hurry, folks?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Ceramic frying pans.
    Never, ever buy one.
    Biggest pile of crap ever in a kitchen
    I love my ceramic set - although its the ceramic/titanium mix which might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    When you buy an electric toothbrush or razor and the charging cable has a two pronged plug, has anyone ever actually had one of those sockets in their house ever, just give me a proper plug
    You can get adaptors.

2 fat ladies, mid 20's and sitting 4 tables away talking about their recent holiday sexual conquests. Why do they have to shout? My fish pie is going back to the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    When you buy an electric toothbrush or razor and the charging cable has a two pronged plug, has anyone ever actually had one of those sockets in their house ever, just give me a proper plug
    My house is full of them.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Edinburgh Airport again, just dropped maw and paw off at the airport, well within the 5 minutes before the price jumps up and what happens? An effing private hire taxi driver makes a complete shop front of it at the barriers, I have no idea what he was trying to do. It looked like he was trying to feed a bank note into the card reader or something!!! Anyway by the time he pissed about and got out the machine said I owe them £3. Two things wrong with that:

1. I was finished long before the 5 minutes had lapsed and had been stuck the queue due to Mr Fud of a taxi driver.

2. I only had £2 on me as I didn't take my wallet as I didn't think I'd need it, plus they were not getting a penny more.

I had to press the buzzer and tell the boy I only had £2 on me and that I'd been stuck in the bloody queue behind that daft taxi driver. He hummed and hawed then said his system was playing up. Eventually after about 3 minutes of being on hold the barrier finally opened and I got away. I'm betting everyone behind me was in the same boat as they'd been stuck as well.

A terrible system at Edinburgh Airport and its nothing but a cash cow that pickup/drop off area. I wonder how much a year that place alone rakes in.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Cyclists who cycle down the cycle lane on North St Andrews Street without stopping or even slowing down as they cross over the lane. I almost had one of them cycle into me last night, he had the cheek to give me a dirty look as well.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    2 fat ladies, mid 20's and sitting 4 tables away talking about their recent holiday sexual conquests. Why do they have to shout? My fish pie is going back to the kitchen.
    Two fat ladies is high eighties, not mid-twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I love my ceramic set - although its the ceramic/titanium mix which might be different.

Ceramic only is about as non stick as manure on an army blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Edinburgh Airport again, just dropped maw and paw off at the airport, well within the 5 minutes before the price jumps up and what happens? An effing private hire taxi driver makes a complete shop front of it at the barriers, I have no idea what he was trying to do. It looked like he was trying to feed a bank note into the card reader or something!!! Anyway by the time he pissed about and got out the machine said I owe them £3. Two things wrong with that:

1. I was finished long before the 5 minutes had lapsed and had been stuck the queue due to Mr Fud of a taxi driver.

2. I only had £2 on me as I didn't take my wallet as I didn't think I'd need it, plus they were not getting a penny more.

I had to press the buzzer and tell the boy I only had £2 on me and that I'd been stuck in the bloody queue behind that daft taxi driver. He hummed and hawed then said his system was playing up. Eventually after about 3 minutes of being on hold the barrier finally opened and I got away. I'm betting everyone behind me was in the same boat as they'd been stuck as well.

A terrible system at Edinburgh Airport and its nothing but a cash cow that pickup/drop off area. I wonder how much a year that place alone rakes in.
    How long before the price for drop off increases "to improve the facilities"?
    'Greed' is the appropriate word these days not 'profit'.

@hibs.net private member
    Pedestrians who think every road is a pedestrianised area.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    How long before the price for drop off increases "to improve the facilities"?
    'Greed' is the appropriate word these days not 'profit'.
    Glasgow airport already charges £2 for drop off - won't be long until Edinburgh catches up I'm sure.
    As an additional peeve: the price to get into the 'pick up' point at Edi airport is £3.90(for 15 mins, before it jumps to £6.90 for the next 15).
    Suddenly the pound drop off seems ok....

The cretin of a cyclist who decided to ignore a red light at temporary traffic lights today and found himself heading straight for me and the 2 cars behind. I managed to swerve out the way (and into a couple of cones) but the guy behind clipped him. He then had the cheek to accuse us of 'having no respect for cyclists' before cycling off.

Of course because he has no requirement for any identification similar to a number plate or any insurance obligations the damage to the guys car is going to hit him in the pocket despite the cyclist being 100% at fault.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    There are a few particularly annoying ads on tv just now. The purple bricks ones are awful and the PPI one with arnie's head on cat tracks is perhaps the worst there's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    There are a few particularly annoying ads on tv just now. The purple bricks ones are awful and the PPI one with arnie's head on cat tracks is perhaps the worst there's ever been.
    Arnie's head advert doesn't look good. It's got us talking about it though so job done I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Arnie's head advert doesn't look good. It's got us talking about it though so job done I suppose.
    People that make this point, I've have loads of discussions about crap adverts on tv, just cos I'm talking about them doesn't mean I have any intention of purchasing the product in question.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    People that make this point, I've have loads of discussions about crap adverts on tv, just cos I'm talking about them doesn't mean I have any intention of purchasing the product in question.
    I will never buy anything out of Wickes because I can't stand the sound of the man that does the voice-over on their ads.
    Job done - not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The cretin of a cyclist who decided to ignore a red light at temporary traffic lights today and found himself heading straight for me and the 2 cars behind. I managed to swerve out the way (and into a couple of cones) but the guy behind clipped him. He then had the cheek to accuse us of 'having no respect for cyclists' before cycling off.

Of course because he has no requirement for any identification similar to a number plate or any insurance obligations the damage to the guys car is going to hit him in the pocket despite the cyclist being 100% at fault.

This is kind of thing drives me up the wall (no pun intended).

Why arent cyclists even made to understand the Highway Code? (And I say this as someone who does cycle)

I'm an avid cyclist but other cyclists really boil my piss. The complete disregard for common road courtesy is astonishing and I'm amazed there's so many of us on the roads and not dead. As has already been mentioned, the complete lack of paying attention to red lights is the worst, I've seen countless cyclists just totally ignore them and I've seen on 3 occasions a pedestrian crossing the road at a green man be hit by one of these utter muppets. Keep meaning to get a helmet cam and upload the footage to YouTube, unbelievable. I've never once had an issue with a car, some close passes but nothing that I've thought was taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I'm an avid cyclist but other cyclists really boil my piss. The complete disregard for common road courtesy is astonishing and I'm amazed there's so many of us on the roads and not dead. As has already been mentioned, the complete lack of paying attention to red lights is the worst, I've seen countless cyclists just totally ignore them and I've seen on 3 occasions a pedestrian crossing the road at a green man be hit by one of these utter muppets. Keep meaning to get a helmet cam and upload the footage to YouTube, unbelievable. I've never once had an issue with a car, some close passes but nothing that I've thought was taking the piss.
    Your post is a breath of fresh air, Exile. Like you I cycle - here and there, but not a lot. I try and keep to off-road tracks and side roads where possible. I am 100% aware of my vulnerabilty (unlike the sterotypes you mention) so I'm constantly looking and listening for traffic around me.
    It surprises me how many - let's call them 'alpha-cyclists' - pedal at speed with their heads down.
    Some pull out to overtake parked cars without looking over their shoulder or even signaling. I saw one such creature today weaving in and out a blockade of stop-starting buses.
    The police should set up an exercise (like the did with motorists recently) showing these cyclists how to respect other road users. It's long overdue.
    Last edited by snooky; 01-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.

I was driving home from work tonight. Back shift so dark. A lot of the side streets in Manchester aren't well lit. A cyclist came through a red light, dressed all in black, no lights on his bike, wearing head phones and playing on his phone.

Utter cretin.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To add to my baby talk peeve earlier ....
    Adults referring to their parents as Mummy & Daddy.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    To add to my baby talk peeve earlier ....
    Adults referring to their parents as Mummy & Daddy.
    Quite common in Ireland that. I remember my mum and her siblings calling and referring to my grandmother as "mammy" right up until her death at the age of 95.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Whilst we're on cycling I really dislike those frail looking trailors people put their kids in and cycle around the city, Why is it when a kid is in a car they are strapped in as if they are going to the moon but cyclists can put them in these flimsy boxes that have no protection what so ever?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Whilst we're on cycling I really dislike those frail looking trailors people put their kids in and cycle around the city, Why is it when a kid is in a car they are strapped in as if they are going to the moon but cyclists can put them in these flimsy boxes that have no protection what so ever?
    It's all relative I suppose, cars can go a lot faster and stop a lot quicker(especially when in an accident) so the users need to be restrained.

If we're that concerned about cyclists safety maybe we should give them more space, just a thought.

The general attitude to general cyclists is pretty poor just now and I'm not sure if it's justified or if motorists are just picking on an easy target. If an individual cyclist breaks the law, then fine, they're a pr!ck and if needs be they should be dealt with the law, but equally I'd expect other road users to be dealt with the same venom but it just doesn't seem to be the case.
    We've seen peeves here about pedestrians, especially recently tourists walking out or along the road without looking, but note it's not ALL pedestrians.
    We have motorists that speed on a daily basis, use mobiles when driving, drive through red lights, park on pavements or yellow zig-zags outside schools, but not ALL motorists are bad.
    But when it comes to cyclists they are generalised by the acts of the few, yet that's deemed acceptable?
    I've said it before but I'll repeat myself to make the point; I think we should all get out there and experience different modes of travel, from walking, cycling, driving to even sitting in the cab of an HGV. All modes come with their risks and preconceived perceptions.
    Sitting in a queue of traffic watching a cyclist go through a red light is nothing compared to watching a motorised vehicle go through a red (and it happens a lot in the city centre) but it attracts a disproportionate reaction from many motorists, I personally don't get it. Either law breakers should be treated the same or they should be judged in proportion to their misdemeanour.

For the record, I walk to work, drive at work and bus or train it at the weekends. I rarely cycle these days so I'm not a "Lycra brigade" apologist.